Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Get it out of your head and off your lips

Started by Porked Tongue, October 19, 2017, 01:17:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porked Tongue

Long isn't leaving.

He'll sign a new contact soon and will be secure as the AD.

There is no reason to waste your angst over it. 

When the time comes, he will be front and center in hiring our next football coach.  However, he will have to "sell it" internally.

As with all things, something can happen that changes things but unless he's busted in a scandal or some major job comes knocking. ....he's our guy.

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 19, 2017, 01:19:48 pm
I'm not convinced CBB is leaving either.
I'd be willing to drop a $100 that you're probably right.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Letsroll1200

Long will make the right decision. Trust Long

onebadrubi

The tone of that post sounds like Bielema is here for next year. 

island hog

Quote from: Porked Tongue on October 19, 2017, 01:17:11 pm
Long isn't leaving.

When the time comes, he will be front and center in hiring our next football coach.  However, he will have to "sell it" internally.

As with all things, something can happen that changes things but unless he's busted in a scandal or some major job comes knocking. ....he's our guy.
Why would anyone 'waste any angst' over Long remaining as our AD?

greenie

Agreed.  Barring a scandal, Long will not be forced to leave anytime soon.
BB's seat is warming up, but not hot.  I think it could get hot over the next 4-5 weeks, however.  Regardless, I don't think Long is even starting to look at options yet, despite all the rancor on Hogville and threats to secede from the Union.

Anything is possible, but I just don't see change coming...yet.

greenie

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 19, 2017, 01:27:01 pm
Never understood the animosity toward him any way!  So what, he made a bad coaching hire.  At the time, it was a safe hire.  Hiring coaches is a 50/50 business!  If it wasn't, there would be 128 NCs!

Großer Kriegschwein

October 19, 2017, 01:35:29 pm #9 Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 01:51:08 pm by Großer Kriegschwein
Quote from: island hog on October 19, 2017, 01:27:55 pm
  Why would anyone 'waste any angst' over Long remaining as our AD?

Having only two athletic directors in the last 40 years may be part of it.

Many liked complaining about JFB back in the day, now their angst is aimed at JL.
This is my non-signature signature.

jst01

Long cant keep BB after he finishes with less than 6 wins and I'm sure that has been told to BB. If he gets to 6 wins (even with a crap bowl), there is something to point to (i.e. made a bowl game in 4 of last 5 years...)

Hogtimes

Never understood the animosity toward him any way!  So what, he made a bad coaching hire.  At the time, it was a safe hire.  Hiring coaches is a 50/50 business!  If it wasn't, there would be 128 NCs!

I think it is the ridiculous buyout, even though less than we thought,  that people are most upset about.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Hogtimes on October 19, 2017, 01:40:50 pm
I think it is the ridiculous buyout, even though less than we thought,  that people are most upset about.
But now that we know the real numbers, is it that ridiculous?

DeltaBoy

Long isn't leaving.

boo hiss  We are doomed to be Vandy West!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 19, 2017, 01:19:48 pm
I'm not convinced CBB is leaving either.
Especially if Bielema wins a few games in the second half of the season against some down teams. I could see Long using that as cover to keep him on another year.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on October 19, 2017, 01:24:43 pm

Bobby fired , JLS now Bret ..............Hell No I don't trust Jeff Uncommon Long to hire a janitor much less the next Coach for the Hogs.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 19, 2017, 01:46:32 pm

We'll never be vandy west. Their fans are literate.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Bacons Rebellion

Well, at least I'm going to be able to tell the chemical engineer across the hall that she can STFU about her Vanderbilt now.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: PharmacistHog on October 19, 2017, 01:54:38 pm
We’ll never be vandy west. Their fans are literate.

What? No! Don't do that to me.

Dang it, this mess was turning out with some positives finally.

hogsanity

HE made a excellent coaching hire that just has not worked out. I was not a bad hire at the time.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

[/quot

And they have a super horrible team. We will be worse with Jeff and Baby Bret.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 19, 2017, 01:58:50 pm

And they have a super horrible team. We will be worse with Jeff and Baby Bret.

Go report yourself to the moderator in the newb forum.
This is my non-signature signature.

jkstock04

Long isn't leaving.

This is great news...for a minute there I was afraid the integrity and academic progress reports coming from the foundation may come to an end.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

bphi11ips

The best thing to do for everyone concerned is to see what happens and hope for the best. Many teams have shot themselves in the foot with impatience. Gary Pinkel mentioned Missouri yesterday at the NWA Touchdown Club. Tennessee is an obvious example, and they're about to do it again with Butch Jones. Florida can't wait after Spurrier.

Arkansas has not played as poorly as everyone here thinks. They've lost to 4 good football teams and could have won 3. The scores in SC and TCU weren't indicative of the games.

Giving Bret Bielema the final year on his contract makes sense for a lot of reasons short and long term. Few here like to admit that right now, but if we win 4 of 6 it will be their idea.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hawgon

I still think that if Long is not given free rein, he'll move on sooner rather than later.  It might not be this year, but he won't tolerate that for long.

Arkansas Fan

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 19, 2017, 02:04:06 pm
The best thing to do for everyone concerned is to see what happens and hope for the best. Many teams have shot themselves in the foot with impatience. Gary Pinkel mentioned Missouri yesterday at the NWA Touchdown Club. Tennessee is an obvious example, and they're about to do it again with Butch Jones. Florida can't wait after Spurrier.

Arkansas has not played as poorly as everyone here thinks. They've lost to 4 good football teams and could have won 3. The scores in SC and TCU weren't indicative of the games.

Giving Bret Bielema the final year on his contract makes sense for a lot of reasons short and long term. Few here like to admit that right now, but if we win 4 of 6 it will be their idea.

TCU, A&M, SC were all games that should've been won, instead Bielema loses. There's no excitement about football right now because Bielema can't win these games. If not now, in his fifth year, then when?

Our football program as gotten to the point where we hope to get six wins, get a bow, then be happy with it. That's on Jeff Long and Bielema.

AlmaHog2011

Long isn't leaving.

I hope what you consider a major job comes along then!!! I guess I will not renew my tickets I am just one man but that stadium will have a bunch of empty seats next season. Long coming back is pretty much the death of Arkansas Football..Just a sad day IMO but I can hope cause according to you HV veterans the Arkansas job isn't a major job so it will be pretty easy for King Long to get a better job..I mean according to you hogville experts Arkansas ain't much..Again that is your OPINION.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 19, 2017, 01:54:22 pm
Bobby fired , JLS now Bret ..............Hell No I don't trust Jeff Uncommon Long to hire a janitor much less the next Coach for the Hogs.

It's just the climate of college football. Bret was not a bad hire. He has not proven and has shown to be unable to coach football on this level. Long made a solid decision by bringing Bret from Wisconsin. Long did his job!   

WoePigSooie

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on October 19, 2017, 02:04:50 pm
Then our football program is doomed.
Yep devastating day for the future of Arkansas Football. Night be time for some banners..Or probably Long will get a MAJOR job offer..I mean Arkansas is bottom of the barrel and not a MAJOR job so we have hope.

Letsroll1200

The last power 5 conference win was in November of 2016. We are at the end of October of 2017! If Bret don't win 6 games this season he will resign from the program.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on October 19, 2017, 02:09:08 pm
It's just the climate of college football. Bret was not a bad hire. He has not proven and has shown to be unable to coach football on this level. Long made a solid decision by bringing Bret from Wisconsin. Long did his job!
We just don't deserve King Long...He's to good for us illiterate Arkansas Fans..He really should go where he fits. You know one of those MAJOR jobs..LMAO

HotlantaHog

I suspect the Hogs recover AFTER this weekend's likely loss and end up 6-6 or 7-5. That would be enough to keep Bielema because of the big buyout and the fact there will be a ton of jobs that are as good or better than Arkansas open.

If you think the odds of recruiting a coach that would be better than Bret are less than 50-50, you keep him.

If the Hogs end up with a losing record, though, he's likely gone.

East Clintwood

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on October 19, 2017, 01:24:43 pm

Of course he will.     :rolleyes:

And he has the track record to prove it.    :gag:
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

PonderinHog

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on October 19, 2017, 02:13:16 pm
We just don't deserve King Long...He's to good for us illiterate Arkansas Fans..He really should go where he fits. You know one of those MAJOR jobs..LMAO
Hey, I ain't illiterate!  My parents were married 74 years!   >:(

Al Boarland

Things don't look any better next season other than the gifted schedule by Mich.

bphi11ips

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 19, 2017, 02:15:42 pm
Hey, I ain't illiterate!  My parents were married 74 years!   >:(

To each other?

factchecker

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on October 19, 2017, 02:11:08 pm
Night be time for some banners..

1. I don't think you can see banners at night.  This is not a good idea.

2.  Please try to spell the names correctly.  We don't need more evidence to support the idea of our fans being dumb.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hogcard1964

Long isn't leaving.

Falee

Vantage 8 dude

It may be true that the teams we've lost to thus far have good records. However, the party line of we could/should of won line has gotten very old and very stale. We keep saying that over and over again. Of course we're not even addressing the issues last year after being pasted by Awbarn, losing to a miserable Missouri team after totally failing to show up for the second and repeating the same "where the heck did they go after the first performance against VTech. I mean sooner later a HC and staff have to put up or shut up. And I damn well haven't seen ANYTHING of either.

RME

USNews ranks Vanderbilt as the 14th best university in the country. Plus, they're usually respectable in basketball and pretty good at baseball. I'll take Arkansas being a top-notch university, because after all...college football exists because colleges (institutions of higher learning) exist.

woodrow hog call

^^^^^ This exactly. just imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth if he had of taken a chance on an up and comer that didn't work out, then word got out that he had CBB from Wisc. asking for the job and he turned him down.

He made, as you said a very safe hire, it has not worked out so the people that JL answer to will probably mention that we need to really put a great deal of time and energy into this next hire, to make an even more safe hire this time, but if he is not named Nick Saban, I don't think there is a sure bet out there.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

phadedhawg

I'm fairly confident that Long is staying but his next coaching search won't be a 100% independent effort. 

Bielema will leave on his own or be fired at the end of season.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Al Boarland on October 19, 2017, 02:25:00 pm
Things don't look any better next season other than the gifted schedule by Mich.

You really don't know that.  And you're one of the smarter guys here.  You know that TCU, A&M and SC all could have gone the other way.  You know the loss of Rawleigh Williams, Ryan Pulley and Jared Cornelius had a huge impact on this team.  You know that Cole Kelley has a chance to be a difference maker, this year and next.  You know the Hogs have a good shot at winning 4 of the last 6 and a bowl game.

You know that there is likely to be a lot of competition this year for head coaches.  You know that Arkansas has a favorable schedule next year.  You know that it took 6 years for Mark Dantonio to get it going at Michigan State.  It took Spurrier 5 at SC, and that was following Lou Holtz. 

Keeping CBB through his contract, at the least, would give other coaches some comfort that Arkansas won't cut and run without immediate success.  And maybe things will be better than most think.

jst01

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 19, 2017, 02:38:19 pm

Keeping CBB through his contract, at the least, would give other coaches some comfort that Arkansas won't cut and run without immediate success.  And maybe things will be better than most think.

Five years. Good grief you are laying it on thick lately.

Hawgndaaz

He could hire Belichick away from the NFL and I'd still want him fired

UNTIL he gets rid of the Pepsi nonsense.

Little Lady Back

#NolanRichardsonCourt

Al Boarland

October 19, 2017, 03:00:37 pm #48 Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 03:12:01 pm by Al Boarland
Quote from: bphi11ips on October 19, 2017, 02:38:19 pm
You really don't know that.  And you're one of the smarter guys here.  You know that TCU, A&M and SC all could have gone the other way.  You know the loss of Rawleigh Williams, Ryan Pulley and Jared Cornelius had a huge impact on this team.  You know that Cole Kelley has a chance to be a difference maker, this year and next.  You know the Hogs have a good shot at winning 4 of the last 6 and a bowl game.

You know that there is likely to be a lot of competition this year for head coaches.  You know that Arkansas has a favorable schedule next year.  You know that it took 6 years for Mark Dantonio to get it going at Michigan State.  It took Spurrier 5 at SC, and that was following Lou Holtz. 

I know we don't recruit well enough for the program to turn around. I also know I don't count games that could have gone the other way. If they could have they should have.

Finally, I have always said CBB is a good fit for the program. However, I'm fully confident he won't give the UofA a SEC championship.

WilsonHog

One thing seems clear.

When taking into account his full body of work as AD at Arkansas (finances, facilities, academics, success in various sports), the BOT chose not to fire Jeff Long. In fact, they chose to reward him.

I would wager that most Razorback fans who have a problem with Long feel that way because football is their first priority. It is not the first priority of our Chancellor, our UA President, or our BOT.

Have you ever considered that the people at UA who Jeff Long answers to share his philosophy of the proper role of intercollegiate athletics, and he theirs?

Kudos to Oklahawg for giving me another perspective to think about.