Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Basketball Fan Appreciation Day

Started by LadybackBBFan, October 18, 2017, 01:13:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LadybackBBFan

We went to the basketball fan appreciation day last evening.  Great food and a great time.  Fans could get their picture taken with players, posters signed and discussion with coaches and players.

Coach Neighbors did a great job of explaining his program and answering everyone's questions.  He also made himself go and personally talk with as many fans as possible - welcoming all - including to his practices.

You could also tell that the players are really enjoying this coaching staff and its approach to coaching.  Several players expressed their enthusiasm for coach.  Talked to several newcomers who are really enthusiastic about being here and their new coach.  Looking forward to how the enthusiasm translates to the court.  For fans who were not there, Arkansas will be looking into having a bus trip to Oral Roberts on Monday November 20. 

For those that missed it, there was a great article on the team in the Arkansas Democrat on Tuesday October 17.

psycHOGlogist

That sounds great, LBBF! I think having fun and engaging the fans may be important this year, as I'm afraid it's going to be a long year on the court.

We've been picked -- completely unsurprisingly -- to finish 14 out of 14 in conference play this year. I suppose the good news is that all the team can do this first year is either meet or exceed expectations!

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/oct/17/arkansas-picked-last-sec-womens-pol/

LadybackBBFan

We've been picked -- completely unsurprisingly -- to finish 14 out of 14 in conference play this year. I suppose the good news is that all the team can do this first year is either meet or exceed expectations!

I predict we exceed expectations and do not finish last!

[/quote]

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on October 19, 2017, 07:30:32 am

I predict we exceed expectations and do not finish last!

I concur and its going to be a lot of fun to watch most of the time unlike the last few years.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

nwahogfan1

October 19, 2017, 10:21:43 am #4 Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 01:34:11 pm by nwahogfan1
After meeting the players and watching some practices where do you guess our talent rates against other SEC teams?  With out much size will we be physical enough to be able to keep the bigger teams from killing us on the boards? Will we be able to score in the paint? 

Who will be your surprise player of the year?  Most improved?

Who will be our leading scorer?  Leading rebounder?   Who will be our most consistent outside shooter?

How many SEC games will we win?  What is your guesses?

Interested fans are dying to learn more about the team, their development and the new coaches.  Thanks.

LadybackBBFan

I have not watched any practices so your questions are very difficult if not impossible to answer.  I intend to see some practices, but will know more when I watch the team.  I expect Monk to be very valuable - but probably not the leading scorer even though she is the returning leading scorer.  All good 3 point shooters should have a chance to score - that includes Cosper, Swenson, Mason and Zimmerman.  With a wide open offense that will include a lot of 3 point shots, good rebounders will have a chance to rebound and score.  Williams demonstrated last year that she can fight and rebound in spite of her size.

Please not that all of my comments are about players who are returning and played a significant amount last year.  I left out Stout who also can shoot the three because she did not play much last year.  As Spangler is the only new player that I have seen play and she did not play much last year, it is difficult to talk about any newcomer.

I do not believe that we have anyone on the team who will always lead us in scoring - I do think it will be a team effort this year.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on October 19, 2017, 02:18:33 pm

I do not believe that we have anyone on the team who will always lead us in scoring - I do think it will be a team effort this year.

I think this is a very accurate statement. I think the girls get that, as well. In this clip from the the media day press conference, both Cosper and Swenson talk about how the philosophy has changed, and how the concept has moved away from a "how Jess goes, the team goes" mentality to a full on, "anyone with an open shot can take it" mentality.

Also .... wow. The comments re: this year vs. last.  Just .... ouch. And this is when they're trying to be nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNe_04Gi1y0

psycHOGlogist

Also, if you weren't aware of it, Coach is doing a twice-a-month podcast interview with PA Announcer Jon Williams. There are now two episodes available, and they are actually pretty interesting. Nothing earth-shattering, but you can glean plenty of insight into the program, his approach to coaching, and what the team is working on. There's also some other, non-coach-related stuff on there (e.g., Coach's family, some of his pop-culture likes and dislikes, etc.). I've enjoyed them so far. You can listen here:

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/theneighborhood/

flippinhogmana

October 19, 2017, 03:29:10 pm #8 Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 03:46:17 pm by flippinhogmana
Quote from: psycHOGlogist on October 19, 2017, 02:49:33 pm
Also, if you weren't aware of it, Coach is doing a twice-a-month podcast interview with PA Announcer Jon Williams. There are now two episodes available, and they are actually pretty interesting. Nothing earth-shattering, but you can glean plenty of insight into the program, his approach to coaching, and what the team is working on. There's also some other, non-coach-related stuff on there (e.g., Coach's family, some of his pop-culture likes and dislikes, etc.). I've enjoyed them so far. You can listen here:

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/theneighborhood/

the players confirmed some things that we were hearing about in rumors - some of the things i recall posting about.  It appears that although Cosper was checking out leaving, her heart was still here with her teammates.  It doesnt sound too much like either one of them would go back to what they had last year over what they have this year. 

It was nice to see the genuine smiles (and lack of underlying tension in their voices and no deception in their eyes) in answer to having more of a green light to shoot, the better coaching styles (Swenson pretty much even quoted one of the coaches, even though I am pretty sure she had ingrained it so much that it is now her thoughts the way she said it).  All in all, it is going to be a tremendous relief from last year's drama (and really all JD's years, if you knew what was going on in the program).

It might not stay this rosey once they start coming against teams that are just as good but a lot taller - but its nice to see those two girls not having to put on a front, instead just able to relax and say the truth in media days.  I felt sorry for Jhasmine Bowen, Calli Berna, Mo Wolfe, and Jess at past media days.  They were being good soldiers but I dont see any of that in these girls this year, nor do I hear anything from the bleachers or my other sources for any discontentment.

It is interesting to know (although it is probably killing them to have to sit out) Dungee and Gaulden are good teammates and good influences, good practice players.  That too could change once they get to game time and they come up against teams that Gaulden and Dungee know they could help against, but have the frustration of having to sit out, but I dont think so.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

3kgthog

I've heard two MN interviews in the past week and both impressed the heck out of me. What a breath of fresh air compared to one of the top three worst hires in Razorback history (men or women), Jimmy Dykes.

I'm actually excited about WBB and I haven't said that since Gary Blair was here.