Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long

Started by cram224, October 16, 2017, 02:03:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgTide

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 17, 2017, 12:01:20 pm
Arkansas can do better than this, you are right. But blaming Jeff Long for Bielema's coaching is asinine. Long made an excellent hire, it just isn't panning out. No reason to fire him because you are angry and need someone to vent your anger on.

You are being too level headed. Freak out more

DeltaBoy

Fire Jeff Integrity LONG who has Wins as Uncommon as the players Bret signs.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

GuvHog

Quote from: hawgon on October 17, 2017, 12:43:08 pm
Yes, and a reasonable AD with a lick of sense would have given him one with a piddly arse buyout.  That way, if after one year, he is doing well, keep him.  If not, cut him lose.  That way, he would have coached and recruited as if he were going to be around.  That way, the players would have been accountable because the coach might be back next year.

But the absolute worst thing you could do is take an absolute buffoon and give him a one year contract ensuring that there was no in encentive to recruit, no accountability for players or coaches, no plan to sell.  In short a completely wasted year.

And YES, I said so at the time.

Well said hawgon, VERY well said!!
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rhames

Yes, and a reasonable AD with a lick of sense would have given him one with a piddly arse buyout.  That way, if after one year, he is doing well, keep him.  If not, cut him lose.  That way, he would have coached and recruited as if he were going to be around.  That way, the players would have been accountable because the coach might be back next year.

But the absolute worst thing you could do is take an absolute buffoon and give him a one year contract ensuring that there was no in encentive to recruit, no accountability for players or coaches, no plan to sell.  In short a completely wasted year.

Fulmer wouldn't have agreed to that. He wanted a 4 year guaranteed contract so his buyout after one season would have been, at the least 9MM dollars.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on October 17, 2017, 12:45:07 pm
Well said hawgon, VERY well said!!

Not really. Maybe in the land of candy canes and fairy dust.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

hawgon

Quote from: rhames on October 17, 2017, 12:46:30 pm

Fulmer wouldn't have agreed to that. He wanted a 4 year guaranteed contract so his buyout after one season would have been, at the least 9MM dollars.

No, he didn't.  He wanted to coach.

rhames

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on October 17, 2017, 12:46:30 pm

He would have accepted the job with a 5 Million dollar buyout.

hawgon

lechon

Quote from: hogsanity on October 17, 2017, 10:32:21 am
Calling for the AD to be fired is much easier than facing up to the actual problems with the football program. Many of which stem from Arkansas being to small and too white, and I am referring to the state not the team.

Pine Bluff says hold my beer.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on October 17, 2017, 12:50:14 pm
He would have accepted the job with a 5 Million dollar buyout.

Hahahahahaha. Even if he did that would mean we would have paid him at least 8MM for just one yesr of coaching Guv

How dense are you?

Hog Pharm

You don't think recruits and coaches from opposing schools would realize that? It would have been used against us in recruiting. Plus I doubt a coach of any reasonable caliber is going to accept a job without some sort of reassurance he won't be fired after one year.

rhames

HawgTide

Quote from: hawgon on October 17, 2017, 12:48:29 pm
No, he didn't.  He wanted to coach.

Guv likes your logic. That's not a good thing

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on October 17, 2017, 12:51:43 pm

Hahahahahaha. Even if he did that would mean we would have paid him at least 8MM for just one yesr of coaching Guv

How dense are you?

He wouldn't have been bought out after one year because he is a quality coach. He would have been allowed to coach for the whole 4 years, I'm smart enough to know that.

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on October 17, 2017, 12:54:22 pm
He wouldn't have been bought out after one year because he is a quality coach. He would have been allowed to coach for the whole 4 years, I'm smart enough to know that.

You just agreed that long should have hired him then fired him

hogsanity

Quote from: lechon on October 17, 2017, 12:51:42 pm
Pine Bluff says hold my beer.

So pine bluff is the whole state?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

woodrow hog call

One thing so many of you CBP worshipers have never realized is how Smiley got the job.

Why was he even considered?
Who brought him in to the program?
Who spoke so highly of him, and bragged about how much he had learned from him?

Jeff Long was left with very few options, none that were good, but one of those was the man that CBP, (that's right) had personally brought in and given such glowing recommendations for.

So put yourself in JL's shoes for a minute, some of you have never hired or fired anyone so that's hard for you to do, but there you are in that predicament and the MENTOR of the guy that built this team is sitting there saying all the right things about how he knows what CBP has done to get to this level and he can surely do it for one year at least.

If you can't see the reasoning behind that choice, you are really blinded by hatred or  something.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

hawgon

Quote from: rhames on October 17, 2017, 12:52:28 pm

Fulmer said he would take the job but wanted a 4 year contract.

A four year contract was easy.  I've already told you how it should have been done.  Either Fulmer or Davis would have taken he job under the circumstances I described and that is what should have been done.

hawgon

Quote from: woodrow hog call on October 17, 2017, 12:58:04 pm
One thing so many of you CBP worshipers have never realized is how Smiley got the job.

Why was he even considered?
Who brought him in to the program?
Who spoke so highly of him, and bragged about how much he had learned from him?

Jeff Long was left with very few options, none that were good, but one of those was the man that CBP, (that's right) had personally brought in and given such glowing recommendations for.

So put yourself in JL's shoes for a minute, some of you have never hired or fired anyone so that's hard for you to do, but there you are in that predicament and the MENTOR of the guy that built this team is sitting there saying all the right things about how he knows what CBP has done to get to this level and he can surely do it for one year at least.

If you can't see the reasoning behind that choice, you are really blinded by hatred or  something.

Your reasoning is invalid.  Why?  Because you've never met JLS and talked to him for more than 30 seconds.  I have.  No one who had, would have hired him for that job unless he was crazier than JLS.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on October 17, 2017, 12:39:40 pm
We should sign an entire offensive line every class.

Well, we should sign 5 guys that can actually play.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgon on October 17, 2017, 01:01:17 pm
Your reasoning is invalid.  Why?  Because you've never met JLS and talked to him for more than 30 seconds.  I have.  No one who had, would have hired him for that job unless he was crazier than JLS.

Yet BP hired him, sought him out even to be on his staff, so I guess that make BP crazier too?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on October 17, 2017, 12:56:13 pm
So pine bluff is the whole state?

And that would be a 40.....

hawgon

Quote from: hogsanity on October 17, 2017, 01:03:34 pm
Yet BP hired him, sought him out even to be on his staff, so I guess that make BP crazier too?

He was BP's mascot and that is a fact.  Some teams have a goofy dog or stuffed animal toy, we had JLS who loved to tell stories that began with things like, "Back when I was in Nepal..."

gchamblee

Quote from: hawgon on October 17, 2017, 01:01:17 pm

The man thanking you for handing him a towel as he exits the bathroom does not qualify as a 30 second conversation.

Wildhog

To be fair, JLS is an outstanding special teams coordinator.

That's no reason to hire him as HC, but it should be noted.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

rhames

Quote from: hawgon on October 17, 2017, 12:58:55 pm
A four year contract was easy.  I've already told you how it should have been done.  Either Fulmer or Davis would have taken he job under the circumstances I described and that is what should have been done.

Again. That means there would be a buyout involved of, at least 9MM.

FutureMan

Quote from: gchamblee on October 17, 2017, 01:05:45 pm
The man thanking you for handing him a towel as he exits the bathroom does not qualify as a 30 second conversation.

Haha!  Well played.
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

Sho Nuff

I'm 40 years old and I've been a Razorback fan since birth.  If Jeff Freaking Long get an extension and keeps Bret, I am done.  How is it that one man is given the power to destroy something that really matters to many people in this state?

hogsanity

Quote from: Sho Nuff on October 17, 2017, 01:14:07 pm
I'm 40 years old and I've been a Razorback fan since birth.  If Jeff Freaking Long get an extension and keeps Bret, I am done.  How is it that one man is given the power to destroy something that really matters to many people in this state?

Drama queen much? Nothing has been destroyed. I am 47 and hog football is what it has been my whole life. One or 2 good seasons mixed in with 8 or 9 average to bad ones.

hawgon

Quote from: rhames on October 17, 2017, 01:08:26 pm

Again. That means there would be a buyout involved of, at least 9MM.

No, it doesn't.  The buyout is/are liquidated damages and they can be whatever the parties agree upon.

rhames

Quote from: hawgon on October 17, 2017, 01:17:23 pm
No, it doesn't.  The buyout is/are liquidated damages and they can be whatever the parties agree upon.

Lol. Ok!

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on October 17, 2017, 01:17:23 pm

And if you were his attorney you'd recommend agreeing to a reduced number?

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on October 17, 2017, 01:22:50 pm
And if you were his attorney you'd recommend agreeing to a reduced number?

Sure, if he wants the job.  Phil Fulmer wasn't exactly in a position to drive a hard bargain.

Sho Nuff

Quote from: hogsanity on October 17, 2017, 01:17:16 pm
Drama queen much? Nothing has been destroyed. I am 47 and hog football is what it has been my whole life. One or 2 good seasons mixed in with 8 or 9 average to bad ones.
I understand your point.  However, Bret is going backwards.  He claimed this was going to be a great year, now he is talking about rebuilding - in year 5.  That normally comes on the heels of some good seasons, we never had the benefit of those in his reign.  Name one position group that is better this year than last year, maybe the secondary???  My point is that it is really hard to see how things will ever improve under Bret.  If he is allowed to continue to be the coach, Long is saying suck it fans.  You okay with that?

GuvHog

I've got you by 15 years (I'm 62) and I can remember a time when the Hogs finished in the top 25 in most years. I remember watching the Hogs beat Nebraska to win the National Championship when I was 9 years old.

EastexHawg

Quote from: rhames on October 17, 2017, 12:51:43 pm

Why do you assume only one year?  What if a coach who has won SEC titles and played in the NCG went 9-3 with that team?

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on October 17, 2017, 01:24:36 pm
Sure, if he wants the job.  Phil Fulmer wasn't exactly in a position to drive a hard bargain.

So nobody was looking at him, or hasn't since he was fired, good candidate......

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on October 17, 2017, 01:26:02 pm
So nobody was looking at him, or hasn't since he was fired, good candidate......

Yep, about like Bert when he is done here.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on October 17, 2017, 01:26:02 pm

I wouldn't call Fulmer great by any stretch of the imagination but he would have been a lot better than Smiley.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on October 17, 2017, 01:26:47 pm
Yep, about like Bert when he is done here.

So, you'll be in favor of hiring Bret should we have an April opening, surprising coming from you.....

rhames

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 17, 2017, 01:25:49 pm
Why do you assume only one year?  What if a coach who has won SEC titles and played in the NCG went 9-3 with that team?

I'm not saying he would only get 1. I'm replying to someone who said we should have hired him for only one year. I'm saying if we hired him we would have given him 4 years, because that is what it would have took to get him.

jkstock04

I see this as incorrect. The past 5 years, going into this year, have gotta be historically bad. This isn't the norm.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on October 17, 2017, 01:31:00 pm
So, you'll be in favor of hiring Bret should we have an April opening, surprising coming from you.....

Sure, the janitor is slated to retire around then anyway.  I figure if I get Bert a mobility scooter and realize his limitations, he'll be great for the job.

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on October 17, 2017, 01:25:45 pm
I've got you by 15 years (I'm 62) and I can remember a time when the Hogs finished in the top 25 in most years. I remember watching the Hogs beat Nebraska to win the National Championship when I was 9 years old.

Yea and I remember the 78 Orange bowl and the 76 Cotton Bowl. But I also remember the down years, and I remember every year since joining the sec.  Even in JFB last 5 years the Hogs only finished ranked once. Since 1970 the Hogs have finished ranked in the Ap poll only 16 times in 47 seasons and only 10 times in the last 37.

I use 1970 for 2 reasons. 1 I was born that year. 2. That was the year that the 1st fully integrated football teams saw their AA players play as JR and Sr classes.

hawgon

Quote from: rhames on October 17, 2017, 01:31:29 pm

I'm not saying he would only get 1. I'm replying to someone who said we should have hired him for only one year. I'm saying if we hired him we would have given him 4 years, because that is what it would have took to get him.

I specifically did not say hire him for one year.  I said give him a four year contract with a low buyout.

snoblind

Quote from: Wildhog on October 17, 2017, 12:39:40 pm
We should sign an entire offensive line every class.

Agreed. 

East Clintwood

Quote from: Wildhog on October 17, 2017, 12:18:40 pm
Not worth four years it's not.

As opposed to what we ended up with?  I think it would have been much better.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

rhames

Quote from: hawgon on October 17, 2017, 01:35:46 pm
I specifically did not say hire him for one year.  I said give him a four year contract with a low buyout.

Which he wouldn't have agreed to. He would have wanted 4 years guaranteed. His buyout would have reflected that.

He wouldn't have left himself vulnerable to the risk of being let go after one year,  which is what you are advocating for.

East Clintwood

Quote from: GuvHog on October 17, 2017, 01:30:00 pm
I wouldn't call Fulmer great by any stretch of the imagination but he would have been a lot better than Smiley.

And Bert
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma