Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 25, 2024, 08:11:24 am

Not ready for prime time players

Started by Hogball58, October 13, 2017, 10:54:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogball58

When I played basketball in the '70S, I was pretty dog gone good "in practice"  pick up games awesome and in my backyard undefeated. Our  qb reminds me of me. Come game time I would get nervous. I could barely make a free throw could it be Austin is not ready for prime time or is he trying to do too much?

JoeyCapital

Quote from: Hogball58 on October 13, 2017, 10:54:51 am
When I played basketball in the '70S, I was pretty dog gone good "in practice"  pick up games awesome and in my backyard undefeated. Our  qb reminds me of me. Come game time I would get nervous. I could barely make a free throw could it be Austin is not ready for prime time or is he trying to do too much?
I've got a mental pic of some dude dunking on a 7.5 foot goal over his kid brother and just telling him all about it. Fist pumps and everything.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

010HogFan

He's just not that good. Friday Night hero playing in the SEC. All there is to it.

JoeyCapital

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 13, 2017, 11:00:05 am
He's just not that good. Friday Night hero playing in the SEC. All there is to it.
He hasn't been this year, but he was pretty damn good last year.

Junior (2016)
• SEC Offensive Player of the Week (Sept. 12)
• Davey O'Brien "Great 8" QBs of the Week (Sept. 12)
• Manning Award Star of the Week (Sept. 12)
• Manning Award QB of the Week (Sept. 15)
• Manning Award Watch List
• Maxwell Award Watch List

Started all 13 games ... Led the team to three top-15 wins in his first season as the starting signal-caller ... Responsible for 27 touchdowns (25 passing, 2 rushing) ... Passed for 3,430 yards to lead the SEC and ranked 20th in the FBS ... Threw for 2,291 yards in SEC play to lead the conference ... Tossed 25 touchdown passes to rank second in the SEC, 28th in the FBS and fifth in single-season school history ... Completed 61.1 percent of his passes and boasted a 146.04 passer rating ... Had a 200-plus passer rating in three outings ... Threw 146 straight passes without an interception to rank second in school history ... Tied for the FBS lead in passing touchdowns against ranked opponents with 15 ... Averaged 263.8  passing yards per game and 286.4 in SEC games ... Teamed with Rawleigh Williams III to become one of only two QB/RB duos in the Power 5 conferences to average at least 260 yards passing and 100 yards rushing per game ... Orchestrated three fourth-quarter TD drives to either tie or take the lead ... Went 13-of-15 for 144 yards and two TDs on those three fourth-quarter drives ... Helped the offense surpass 400 yards of total offense in nine games, including three games of 500 or more yards ... Threw a TD pass in 12 of 13 games ... First Arkansas quarterback to throw multiple TD passes nine times in a single season since Tyler Wilson (2011) ... Threw multiple TD passes in the first half five times ... One of just four SEC quarterbacks since 2000 to toss multiple TD passes in each of the first seven games of a season ... Led the SEC and ranked 11th in the FBS in 200-plus yard passing games with 11 ... Led the SEC in yards per attempt with 8.3 and red-zone touchdown passes with 19 ... Averaged 8.4 yards per attempt in SEC games ... Threw for 300 or more yards four times – all in SEC games ... Four 300-yard passing games ranked second in single-season school history and tied for second in the SEC ... Four 300-yard passing games in SEC play also ranked second in single-season school history ... Led the SEC in completions for a first down with 150 (20th in FBS), 10-plus yards with 145 (13th in FBS), 15-plus yards with 96 (7th in FBS) and 20-plus yards with 53 (18th in FBS) ... Became one of just four quarterbacks in school history to throw at least one TD pass in each of the first seven games of a season ... First Arkansas quarterback since Ryan Mallett (2010) to toss three TD passes in three straight games (Weeks 5-7) of a season ... Fourth quarterback in school history to pass for 400 yards in a single game ... Had six scoring tosses of 20 or more yards
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

010HogFan

Quote from: golf2day on October 13, 2017, 11:04:28 am

Junior (2016)

Started all 13 games ... Led the team to three top-15 wins in his first season as the starting signal-caller ... Responsible for 27 touchdowns (25 passing, 2 rushing) ... Passed for 3,430 yards to lead the SEC and ranked 20th in the FBS ... Threw for 2,291 yards in SEC play to lead the conference ... Tossed 25 touchdown passes to rank second in the SEC, 28th in the FBS and fifth in single-season school history ... Completed 61.1 percent of his passes and boasted a 146.04 passer rating ... Had a 200-plus passer rating in three outings ... Threw 146 straight passes without an interception to rank second in school history ... Tied for the FBS lead in passing touchdowns against ranked opponents with 15 ... Averaged 263.8  passing yards per game and 286.4 in SEC games ... Teamed with Rawleigh Williams III to become one of only two QB/RB duos in the Power 5 conferences to average at least 260 yards passing and 100 yards rushing per game ... Orchestrated three fourth-quarter TD drives to either tie or take the lead ... Went 13-of-15 for 144 yards and two TDs on those three fourth-quarter drives ... Helped the offense surpass 400 yards of total offense in nine games, including three games of 500 or more yards ... Threw a TD pass in 12 of 13 games ... First Arkansas quarterback to throw multiple TD passes nine times in a single season since Tyler Wilson (2011) ... Threw multiple TD passes in the first half five times ... One of just four SEC quarterbacks since 2000 to toss multiple TD passes in each of the first seven games of a season ... Led the SEC and ranked 11th in the FBS in 200-plus yard passing games with 11 ... Led the SEC in yards per attempt with 8.3 and red-zone touchdown passes with 19 ... Averaged 8.4 yards per attempt in SEC games ... Threw for 300 or more yards four times – all in SEC games ... Four 300-yard passing games ranked second in single-season school history and tied for second in the SEC ... Four 300-yard passing games in SEC play also ranked second in single-season school history ... Led the SEC in completions for a first down with 150 (20th in FBS), 10-plus yards with 145 (13th in FBS), 15-plus yards with 96 (7th in FBS) and 20-plus yards with 53 (18th in FBS) ... Became one of just four quarterbacks in school history to throw at least one TD pass in each of the first seven games of a season ... First Arkansas quarterback since Ryan Mallett (2010) to toss three TD passes in three straight games (Weeks 5-7) of a season ... Fourth quarterback in school history to pass for 400 yards in a single game ... Had six scoring tosses of 20 or more yards

not really towards the back half of the year. All those bullet points are nice, but his decision making and progressions were really pretty dreadful if you watched those last few games, and it has been the same story going into this year. 15 is a pretty big number of interceptions.

No one wanted him to be good more than I did. He started off on fire, everyone thought he was the second coming of Joe Montana, and after having to peel himself off the turf he just hasn't been the same since. disclaimer...I will say that he could have been potentially something special with a functional O-Line. I feel bad for him in that respect.

jrulz83

Quote from: golf2day on October 13, 2017, 10:59:26 am
I've got a mental pic of some dude dunking on a 7.5 foot goal over his kid brother and just telling him all about it. Fist pumps and everything.

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

ballz2thewall

he's talented and has shown it on the field. to put another way, he's not without good talent.

if i had to guess i'd say he's put out with the coaches and the OL.
The rest of the frog.

JoeyCapital

Hogball58

10 ft regulation. Dirt court. I was just that darn good. There was too much pressure on me being the starting center ,6ft tall, at Saratoga High

The NewEra

Any quarterback that has taken the physical punishment Allen has taken would look unsettled.  Last year's TCU game was probably a pretty good example of what you could expect from him if he were given protection.  Those physical beatings take a toll and his real decline has been since last year's Auburn game.  He has the talent without the protection.

TexasRazorback

Junior (2016)

You said he led us too 3 top 15 wins last season? Name them. TCU was not top 15, Ole Miss was not top 15.

JoeyCapital

Quote from: TexasRazorback on October 13, 2017, 11:40:10 am
You said he led us too 3 top 15 wins last season? Name them. TCU was not top 15, Ole Miss was not top 15.
Lol that you think I typed all that. Copy and paste from the UA website. Forward all complaints to jlong@ua.edu.

TexasRazorback

Quote from: golf2day on October 13, 2017, 11:41:47 am
Lol that you think I typed all that. Copy and paste from the UA website. Forward all complaints to jlong@ua.edu.

HAHA

Tick Hog

Junior (2016)

Gezzz Bobby we understand he had a good JR year

Jim Harris

Junior (2016)

He got a lot of mileage out of that TCU 2-OT win, obviously. First half of last season, it did seem like had it not been for his play, Arkansas might have started 0-fer, though on closer inspection, his opener vs. La. Tech was not pretty, his best job was managing the running game that couldn't be denied for a whole 1-point win at home.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

JoeyCapital

Quote from: Tick Hog on October 13, 2017, 11:43:33 am
Gezzz Bobby we understand he had a good JR year
If I really was Bobby I would burn some trucks of my own. His kids were the targets of more mouth-breathing unearned criticism than any players I can remember.

Is AA the best qb ever? Of course not, but the kid can play when he has a little bit of protection and somebody to throw to. Blaming him for us not being good is like buying worn out tires with no tread left and then sending Chevy a nasty email when you are stuck on the side of the road.

Hint- in my metaphor AA is the Chevy and the oline is the worn out tires. Just for some of you that don't do all that much reading. Or thinking.

code red

Austin had some weapons last year and our line could atleast pass block.  He has very few weapons and no team respects our run game...he is getting absolutely abused.  I think the answer to your question is "neither".
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

CPO Hog

Quote from: Hogball58 on October 13, 2017, 11:30:37 am
10 ft regulation. Dirt court. I was just that darn good. There was too much pressure on me being the starting center ,6ft tall, at Saratoga High
Saratoga has some good players and an out of control crowd back in the day (late 70's early 80's). We beat them once and on the way home our bus was egged and rocked, busted windows and all.

Cambridge Hog

Cotton

Quote from: golf2day on October 13, 2017, 11:49:06 am
If I really was Bobby I would burn some trucks of my own. His kids were the targets of more mouth-breathing unearned criticism than any players I can remember.

Is AA the best qb ever? Of course not, but the kid can play when he has a little bit of protection and somebody to throw to. Blaming him for us not being good is like buying worn out tires with no tread left and then sending Chevy a nasty email when you are stuck on the side of the road.

Hint- in my metaphor AA is the Chevy and the oline is the worn out tires. Just for some of you that don't do all that much reading. Or thinking.
Sure AA can play... at an FCS school.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

Quote from: Cambridge Hog on October 13, 2017, 11:58:47 am
AA= David Carr, unfortunately
Are you day drinking?? Never in a million years.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: Cotton on October 13, 2017, 12:07:58 pm
Are you day drinking?? Never in a million years.

In that he got the crap beat out of him and never got over it. 

HogFoo

I think Allen is gunshy from all the sacks.  It's pretty obvious.  Whenever he has a few series where he isn't laying on his back and actually had time to look at receivers, he has done pretty well.  Of course when the receivers drop the ball that on the only passes he was actually able to not get hit on, that too takes a toll and it shows when he gets frustrated. I don't blame him, I'd be pissed off at everybody if I was him.  If be begging to switch to the shotgun, at least he could see who's coming at him better. Have a little more time.  But, anyways. I don't do much think it's Allen as it is who is around him.  If Allen was at a Bama the last 2 yrs, they probably win a title each year!  So, I don't think it's Allen so much as it is those that surround him.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

PLHawg

AA knows he's going to get physically annihilated every single game.  Anyone that doesn't think that's going to affect one's performance is crazy.  For the love of all that is holy at least quit the stupid play-action crap where he has someone in his earhole by the time he finishes his five step drop.  Dude's probably going to have on-going PTSD symptoms after his career here is over.  First hit he takes from Bama will put him out of the game, like seriously what's the point?

JoeyCapital

Quote from: PLHawg on October 13, 2017, 12:52:59 pm
AA knows he's going to get physically annihilated every single game.  Anyone that doesn't think that's going to affect one's performance is crazy.  For the love of all that is holy at least quit the stupid play-action crap where he has someone in his earhole by the time he finishes his five step drop.  Dude's probably going to have on-going PTSD symptoms after his career here is over.  First hit he takes from Bama will put him out of the game, like seriously what's the point?
You're underestimating the power of modern medicine. Those shots he will have to take to lift his arm over his shoulder are gonna stay strong until at least halfway through the 2nd quarter.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 13, 2017, 11:14:53 am
not really towards the back half of the year. All those bullet points are nice, but his decision making and progressions were really pretty dreadful if you watched those last few games, and it has been the same story going into this year. 15 is a pretty big number of interceptions.

No one wanted him to be good more than I did. He started off on fire, everyone thought he was the second coming of Joe Montana, and after having to peel himself off the turf he just hasn't been the same since. disclaimer...I will say that he could have been potentially something special with a functional O-Line. I feel bad for him in that respect.
He hasn't been the same since he took that shot in the Auburn game last season. That's the only time I've ever seen him get pulled from a game
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.