Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

fall world series dates

Started by Kevin, October 04, 2017, 10:00:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Mark your .

The annual  Fall World Series is set to begin next week at Baum Stadium.

--> http://bit.ly/2klbX6K 
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

WhenPigsFly

Thanks for the info!  Anyone know about the regular season schedule?   Seems awfully late for it not to be out?

Kevin

I think it is usually this month or early november
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

factchecker

October 04, 2017, 10:50:32 am #3 Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 11:11:40 am by factchecker
Quote from: WhenPigsFly on October 04, 2017, 10:34:13 am
Thanks for the info!  Anyone know about the regular season schedule?   Seems awfully late for it not to be out?

Not sure but here is the date of one interesting game:

Missouri State has us scheduled for a mid-week game - Tuesday, April 17th

This is Missouri State's schedule below -

That will be a fun game!
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

WhenPigsFly

Last year it was released October 27.  Some SEC teams already have theirs out, though.

navyhog24

Man, I would love to make that Oregon State series. I wish I could make the fall world series as well. I'm really excited about next season, like every other Hog baseball fan.

factchecker

Quote from: navyhog24 on October 04, 2017, 11:08:34 am
Man, I would love to make that Oregon State series. I wish I could make the fall world series as well. I'm really excited about next season, like every other Hog baseball fan.

That is Missouri State's schedule.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Wisco Pig

Quote from: navyhog24 on October 04, 2017, 11:08:34 am
I'm really excited about next season, like every other Hog baseball fan.

Yup, I can't wait to see coverage of the Fall World Series, the release of the schedule, the preseason polls (yeah, I know they're largely meaningless, don't need to be reminded), and ucahogfan's take on everything. Now that I live down South again and don't have kids in the house, I should even be able to attend a few games in person.

Kevin

we go to florida march 23-24-25 per the gators schedule that was released today

factchecker

Quote from: Kevin on October 04, 2017, 02:17:47 pm
we go to florida march 23-24-25 per the gators schedule that was released today

We play Alabama at home April 27,28,29 (Fri, Sat, Sun)

We are at LSU May 04,05,06 (Fri, Sat, Sun)

We play AnM at home May 11,12,13 (Fri, Sat, Sun)
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

This is what we know from Matt Jones on Wholehogsports:

Feb. 23-25: Tony Gwynn Classic in San Diego (field includes Arizona, Michigan, San Diego, San Diego State, Grand Canyon, Indiana State and Cal Poly Pomona)

March 2-4: vs. Southern Cal

March 16-18: vs. Kentucky

March 20-21: vs. Southeast Missouri State

March 23-25: at Florida

March 29-31: at Ole Miss

April 6-8: vs. Auburn

April 13-15: vs. South Carolina

April 17: vs. Missouri State

April 20-22: at Mississippi State

April 27-29: vs. Alabama

May 4-6: at LSU

May 11-13 - vs. Texas A&M

May 17-19 - at Georgia

dotnet

Its weird to see the schedule and feel like you can win every single series. 

Normally, I think something along the lines of "if you can split these two series, and win 3 of these 5 series...". 

dotnet

This is a really tough schedule. I feel like there is a pretty good split of home vs road. 

Home - USCe, Auburn, A&M

Road - Florida, Gwynn, MSU, Ole Miss, LSU

The home games are more likely wins, and the road games give good opportunities to help the RPI.  Pretty balanced schedule

Edit: LSU is on the road (I originally had them in the home category).  That is a pretty brutal road schedule.  I'm not sure anyone else in the country will play four tougher road series than that.

PorkRyan

That schedule is tough.  Florida will be top 5.  Ole Miss will probably be top 10.  I know Rogers had them as one of his early Omaha picks.  A&M returns everyone. LSU is LSU. Kentucky has two pitchers that are top 50 prospects. Miss St has Pilkington.  We are going to have to face around 10 top 50 draft prospects in conference play.

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: ricepig on October 04, 2017, 04:49:57 pm
This is what we know from Matt Jones on Wholehogsports:

Feb. 23-25: Tony Gwynn Classic in San Diego (field includes Arizona, Michigan, San Diego, San Diego State, Grand Canyon, Indiana State and Cal Poly Pomona)

March 2-4: vs. Southern Cal

March 16-18: vs. Kentucky

March 20-21: vs. Southeast Missouri State

March 23-25: at Florida

March 29-31: at Ole Miss

April 6-8: vs. Auburn

April 13-15: vs. South Carolina

April 17: vs. Missouri State

April 20-22: at Mississippi State

April 27-29: vs. Alabama

May 4-6: at LSU

May 11-13 - vs. Texas A&M

May 17-19 - at Georgia

Thanks for the info!

onebadrubi

Quote from: dotnet on October 04, 2017, 06:22:11 pm
This is a really tough schedule. I feel like there is a pretty good split of home vs road. 

Home - USCe, Auburn, A&M

Road - Florida, Gwynn, MSU, Ole Miss, LSU

The home games are more likely wins, and the road games give good opportunities to help the RPI.  Pretty balanced schedule

Edit: LSU is on the road (I originally had them in the home category).  That is a pretty brutal road schedule.  I'm not sure anyone else in the country will play four tougher road series than that.

That is just brutal!!!

navyhog24

Game 1 of the Fall World Series box score and link to article

Jack Kenley goes for the cycle

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/oct/11/kenleys-cycle-leads-game-1-blowout/

dotnet

Also, not sure if the Evan Lee hitting when pitching thing is going to work out.  May need a DH. 

Is there a catcher competition now between Koch and Opitz? I hope Koch will be given a shot to win his job back.

dotnet

Is Bonin hurt?  I notice he didn't play.

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on October 12, 2017, 05:22:49 pm
Is there a catcher competition now between Koch and Opitz? I hope Koch will be given a shot to win his job back.
Think the coaches are just being careful with Koch this fall and letting Opitz and Plunkett handle catching duties during the FWS.  Koch is a 1st / 2nd round talent in the 2018 draft behind the plate.  He is the highest rated C in college baseball this upcoming year.  Could hit 20+ HRs if we don't let him tire out like he did last year.

HogNiner12

Also, not sure if the Evan Lee hitting when pitching thing is going to work out.  May need a DH. 

You serious Clark?

PintailKiller

Negative - Koch is not behind the plate intentionally this fall - he needs a break.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

Kevin

Quote from: PintailKiller on October 13, 2017, 10:56:08 am
Negative - Koch is not behind the plate intentionally this fall - he needs a break.

Koch practiced a lot in the outfield for team usa this summer.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on October 13, 2017, 11:16:41 am
Koch practiced a lot in the outfield for team usa this summer.
I figure that could be because some scouts see that as a potential pro position for him.  His biggest knock of being a 1st round lock in 2018 is his defense and long term potential to stick behind home plate.  His arm is definitely good enough to stick behind home plate; however, he has some room for improvement receiving and blocking.

Kevin

Quote from: ucahogfan on October 13, 2017, 11:23:46 am
I figure that could be because some scouts see that as a potential pro position for him.  His biggest knock of being a 1st round lock in 2018 is his defense and long term potential to stick behind home plate.  His arm is definitely good enough to stick behind home plate; however, he has some room for improvement receiving and blocking.

I know a guy who work with team usa this summer, Koch beat all the outfielders in the throw metrics

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on October 13, 2017, 02:42:25 pm
I know a guy who work with team usa this summer, Koch beat all the outfielders in the throw metrics
That does not surprise me at all.  He threw out 40% of attempted base stealers last year which is excellent.  Take away Trevor Stephan who allowed 10 steals in 11 attempts, Koch threw out over half of attempted base stealers.  That is an elite level arm.

For comparison, Cooper Johnson at Ole Miss who is regarded as one of the best arms in baseball behind the plate threw out 44% of attempted base stealers.  He was the 3rd ranked catcher in his high school class (2016) behind Carlos Cortes who is now an OF at South Carolina and is known as a big time hitter and Ben Rortvedt who obviously signed with us, but was a 2nd round pick by the Twins.  Johnson's biggest outlier would been Ryan Rollison who might be a top 5 pick next year who allowed 6 steals in 7 attempts.

spe450

I was lucky enough to get out of work and watch the game today.

Opitz has a cannon.

Reindl was a ground ball throwing maniac for the first few innings.

There wasn't much to discuss as far as hitting.

Defensively, lee looked solid at 1st and biggers was biggers.

As a whole, the team looks a lot bigger than the last couple of years.

ucahogfan

Tomorrow's game 3 will pit Bryce Bonnin against Caleb Bolden.  Two freshmen who were drafted last June and could be key pieces going forward to this staff.

Kevin

uca,
what about the ramage?  seem to pitch well yesterday

onebadrubi

Is it fair to compare the idea of what Koch is to Gary Sanchez?  Gary is sticking it out behind the plate because of his arm strength and bat, they don't have a spot for him in the outfield at the moment and can not leave him out of the lineup.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on October 14, 2017, 10:50:09 am
uca,
what about the ramage?  seem to pitch well yesterday
He could fill be part of the help to fill Kopps' role.  When talking about Ramage, DVH mentioned he was more in the Kopps / Reindl mold of upper 80s, low 90s fastball, but his slider is his key pitch.  A lot of times, it seems like those guys see more action early on as freshmen compared to the guys who throw 95-96 because they tend to fill up the zone more which is key to DVH.

ucahogfan

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 14, 2017, 11:44:21 am
Is it fair to compare the idea of what Koch is to Gary Sanchez?  Gary is sticking it out behind the plate because of his arm strength and bat, they don't have a spot for him in the outfield at the moment and can not leave him out of the lineup.
That is actually a good comparison after thinking about it.  You can't question the arm strength or the power at the plate; however, they have question marks to receiving and blocking the ball.

King

Any chance we could see a Jackson Rutledge v. Jackson Rutledge pitching matchup?

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

SPAL

Been so busy. I've missed a lot. I've gotta catch up.

hogwild04

Quote from: dotnet on October 12, 2017, 05:23:01 pm
Is Bonin hurt?  I notice he didn't play.

Heard he hyper extended knee about 2 weeks ago, they let him pitch but not anything else just being cautious I'm sure.  He threw Sunday, got rocked, saw on gun he was 93-96,  not sure if he was that bad or the Grey team hit that good,  lol   Herjsted is going to be All American while at Arkansas, calling that one now,  I cant believe he is a freshman.  He hit off 3 different pitchers,  as Freshman goes he and Bonin had good fall season at the plate, Though with his power on top of avg I cannot imagine Herjsted not starting this year, I'm sure Bonin will get some innings somewhere in the field and at the plate, may be a closer this year as well or mid week guy, he looked to have all the tools, just a little raw, they will coach him up in off season.  I was in awe by the hitting, I have not seen a team hit like that since, I never have seen one hit like that.  I hate to get expectations too high, but how can you not.