Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBS coverage

Started by EastexHawg, August 13, 2017, 03:17:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

EastexHawg

I can just see CBS signing off and saying, "By the way, you never saw him today but Patrick Reed won the PGA."

Dr. Starcs

Ah another eastex prediction?

Meanwhile, David Duval did not, I repeat, did not make the British cut.

Doesn't look like Rory's gonna win this one either.

:)

EastexHawg

No, not a prediction... just a comment really.  The guy was one of the only players on the leaderboard under par for the day, in 6th place, and I hadn't seen him.

Five minutes after I typed that, they had to show him because he stuffed his second shot on the par five 10th and narrowly missed an eagle putt.

The networks pick out the guys they want to show...Rickie, for instance...and it takes someone else passing or almost passing all of them on the leaderboard to get any coverage.

Dr. Starcs

Lol, I know and I agree with you.

A lot of likeable names on that leaderboard for me. Don't really care for Justin Thomas too much. Must be the alabuma thing.

majestic

I picked Fowler. I think it's going to be Matsuyama. Networks cover the leaders and the popular players. Reed is neither of those. I saw a lot of Rory today and he was never in contention. I wonder why they showed so much of him?
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

EastexHawg

Quote from: majestic on August 13, 2017, 04:04:53 pm
I picked Fowler. I think it's going to be Matsuyama. Networks cover the leaders and the popular players. Reed is neither of those. I saw a lot of Rory today and he was never in contention. I wonder why they showed so much of him?

I wasn't watching that early, but maybe because the leaders weren't on the course yet?

EastexHawg

How do you become popular if you're not winning a bunch of tournaments?  Get shown on TV a lot?

majestic

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 13, 2017, 04:10:30 pm
How do you become popular if you're not winning a bunch of tournaments?  Get shown on TV a lot?
Ha, ask Reed.

EastexHawg

Reed now tied for second.  Of course...we didn't see the putt he made for birdie on 14.

majestic

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 13, 2017, 04:27:17 pm
Reed now tied for second.  Of course...we didn't see the putt he made for birdie on 14.
He needs a catchy nickname. "Rocket Reed" sounds way better than Patrick.

majestic

You are right, though. They just showed him stick it within 65 feet for par.

hogbud

Reeds first top 10 in a major. Hard to believe.

Dr. Starcs

Dang. I really want Fowler to win one of these at some point. Reed too.
And Hideki would be a cool story for the game of golf.

majestic

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on August 13, 2017, 06:39:54 pm
Dang. I really want Fowler to win one of these at some point. Reed too.
And Hideki would be a cool story for the game of golf.
I think Fowler will win one or two majors, at least.

ricepig

EastexHawg

I like Matsuyama.  My dad would probably disown me for saying so, but I do.

majestic

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 13, 2017, 08:09:36 pm
I like Matsuyama.  My dad would probably disown me for saying so, but I do.
My grandmother called any person of Asian "look" a Jap.

EastexHawg

Quote from: majestic on August 13, 2017, 08:30:34 pm
My grandmother called any person of Asian "look" a Jap.

My dad served on an aircraft carrier in the Pacific during WWII.  His ship had a kamikaze bounce off the deck right after he saw a sister ship explode and eventually sink from another plane.

He may have tried to forgive, but he never forgot.

onebadrubi

Whether your u pull for any of these three young guys or not, they are truly enjoying this success.  That's Thomas, spieth, and fowler. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 13, 2017, 08:52:25 pm
My dad served on an aircraft carrier in the Pacific during WWII.  His ship had a kamikaze bounce off the deck right after he saw a sister ship explode and eventually sink from another plane.

He may have tried to forgive, but he never forgot.

That's interesting. My dad had a friend who was on the Yorktown when it was sank.  He told me it's amazing how you can go from having everything, hot food, warm bunk to absolutely nothing drifting in the Pacific Ocean. 

During my time at the VA I had the opportunity to speak with several WWII vets and it's amazing the hatred they still have for the Japanese but I never heard that much about the Germans.  Spoke to several POW's and they all said they were treated well.  They said there wasn't that much to eat but the guards were hungry too.  Very little animosity towards them but I heard nothing but pure hatred towards the Japanese. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Boarcephus on August 14, 2017, 07:25:20 am
During my time at the VA I had the opportunity to speak with several WWII vets and it's amazing the hatred they still have for the Japanese but I never heard that much about the Germans.  Spoke to several POW's and they all said they were treated well.  They said there wasn't that much to eat but the guards were hungry too.  Very little animosity towards them but I heard nothing but pure hatred towards the Japanese. 

Everyone talks about the Holocaust, and rightly so, but the atrocities committed by the Japanese were every bit as barbaric.  My dad saw and experienced a lot of it.  My former mother-in-law was a young girl in the Philippines during the war.  Her older brother was a doctor.  She saw Japanese soldiers shoot him in the head because he couldn't save a wounded officer he was called in to treat.

Get those two together and you got to hear plenty about the Japanese.

Boarcephus

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 14, 2017, 08:41:56 am
Everyone talks about the Holocaust, and rightly so, but the atrocities committed by the Japanese were every bit as barbaric.  My dad saw and experienced a lot of it.  My former mother-in-law was a young girl in the Philippines during the war.  Her older brother was a doctor.  She saw Japanese soldiers shoot him in the head because he couldn't save a wounded officer he was called in to treat.

Get those two together and you got to hear plenty about the Japanese.

I'd love to sit in and just listen to them.  Unfortunately most of these people are well into their 90's and just not that lucid anymore.  Loved to hear the stories but what's interesting is some would talk and others absolutely refused to talk about it. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Jackrabbit Hog

We interrupt this American History lesson to discuss golf for a moment.

I think Thomas' win yesterday cemented the changing of the guard in American golf.  Tiger's been done for almost a decade when talking about majors and for about 3 years in general, and he ain't coming back.  Phil's done too.  He may win one or two more regular events before his time is up, but I think he's done as a week-in, week-out force.  Furyk's done.  The most experienced guys we have that still have game to contend in majors are Zac Johnson and Matt Kuchar.  Other than those two guys, your Ryder and Presidents Cup team for the next 20 years will be composed of guys like Spieth, Thomas, DJ, Daniel Berger, Kevin Kisner, Patrick Reed, Fowler and Koepka.  Personally, I like that.  It's time those old guys left and turned it over to the young guys who don't have any fear.  I think we are about to go on a new run of dominance in the team competitions (we already dominate the President's Cup) that will last at least a decade.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

cc

Quote from: Boarcephus on August 14, 2017, 07:25:20 am
That's interesting. My dad had a friend who was on the Yorktown when it was sank.  He told me it's amazing how you can go from having everything, hot food, warm bunk to absolutely nothing drifting in the Pacific Ocean. 

My Granddad was on the Yorktown when it sank. 

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 14, 2017, 09:01:52 am

I think Thomas' win yesterday cemented the changing of the guard in American golf.  Tiger's been done for almost a decade when talking about majors and for about 3 years in general, and he ain't coming back.  Phil's done too.  He may win one or two more regular events before his time is up, but I think he's done as a week-in, week-out force.  Furyk's done.  The most experienced guys we have that still have game to contend in majors are Zac Johnson and Matt Kuchar.  Other than those two guys, your Ryder and Presidents Cup team for the next 20 years will be composed of guys like Spieth, Thomas, DJ, Daniel Berger, Kevin Kisner, Patrick Reed, Fowler and Koepka.  Personally, I like that.  It's time those old guys left and turned it over to the young guys who don't have any fear.  I think we are about to go on a new run of dominance in the team competitions (we already dominate the President's Cup) that will last at least a decade.

I agree, I just hope Matsuyama and Kaymer aren't on those competing teams.

cc

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 14, 2017, 09:01:52 am

I still remember the guys in their early to mid 20's just trying to hang on to their tour cards with the few exceptions.  Now these guys come out like Justin Thomas saying yeah I have won three times but now its my time to win a major.  A lot of people raised their eyebrows but the talent was there and he did it.  A lot of these guys seem more concerned with winning than playing it to figure out the difference in money between 4 and 9th place.  Kisner went for broke a few times and rolled snake eyes but he played to win.  And another 30 something Charlie Hoffman that I've never really been a fan of till last week at the Bridgestone.  His caddie is trying to talk him into playing it safe on 16 i think it was, and Charlie said man I'm down 2 strokes and I'm trying to win a golf tournament.  He was going for broke.  It just seems like a lot of these younger guys are not as worried about top 10's as they are wins.  Of course that may change when the wins don't start adding up for certain ones. 

And yes I like the fire of these younger guys in the Ryder Cups.  Like Reed last year.  They have to match the fire of the Europeans like Sergio in the Ryder Cup.  If that dude putted majors like he does in the Ryder Cup, he would have several.

EastexHawg

Quote from: cc on August 14, 2017, 09:31:13 am
They have to match the fire of the Europeans like Sergio in the Ryder Cup.  If that dude putted majors like he does in the Ryder Cup, he would have several.

One of the "old guys" Jackrabbit is glad to see fading away...Mickelson...matched 63s with Sergio in last year's Ryder Cup.  He was also the star of the previous year's President's Cup.  I agree he is on the downward end of his career, but if he can qualify for the team I would love to have him there.

onebadrubi

It's Reed's time to win.  He's my pick to win the Masters, just going to go ahead and put it out there.

EastexHawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 14, 2017, 10:56:24 am
It's Reed's time to win.  He's my pick to win the Masters, just going to go ahead and put it out there.

If the PGA was still a match play event he might be the favorite every year.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 14, 2017, 09:50:54 am
One of the "old guys" Jackrabbit is glad to see fading away...Mickelson...matched 63s with Sergio in last year's Ryder Cup.  He was also the star of the previous year's President's Cup.  I agree he is on the downward end of his career, but if he can qualify for the team I would love to have him there.

I'm not rooting against Mickelson to make the team; I'm just being realistic.  Between his arthritis, his age, and whatever it was that made him split with Bones, I just see too much of a downward trend for him.  Heck, I think it would be great if he could somehow get hot and make teams and win more majors; just don't think it's going to happen.

And if he doesn't make Ryder and Presidents Cup teams, I'll be shocked if he's not the first vice captain for those squads and then eventually captain of both of them.  His presence will be on those teams for years to come.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on August 14, 2017, 09:20:06 am
I agree, I just hope Matsuyama and Kaymer aren't on those competing teams.

Well played, sir.  Well played.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 14, 2017, 01:05:04 pm
Well played, sir.  Well played.

I was going to mention Langer, but I knew that would bring a response from GoHogs1031taxexchange.

onebadrubi

Quote from: ricepig on August 14, 2017, 01:19:13 pm
I was going to mention Langer, but I knew that would bring a response from GoHogs1031taxexchange.
'

He's to busy studying missile systems of North Korea currently.

Hawg414

Quote from: cc on August 14, 2017, 09:31:13 am
I still remember the guys in their early to mid 20's just trying to hang on to their tour cards with the few exceptions.  Now these guys come out like Justin Thomas saying yeah I have won three times but now its my time to win a major.  A lot of people raised their eyebrows but the talent was there and he did it.  A lot of these guys seem more concerned with winning than playing it to figure out the difference in money between 4 and 9th place.  Kisner went for broke a few times and rolled snake eyes but he played to win.  And another 30 something Charlie Hoffman that I've never really been a fan of till last week at the Bridgestone.  His caddie is trying to talk him into playing it safe on 16 i think it was, and Charlie said man I'm down 2 strokes and I'm trying to win a golf tournament.  He was going for broke.  It just seems like a lot of these younger guys are not as worried about top 10's as they are wins.  Of course that may change when the wins don't start adding up for certain ones. 

while i agree for the most part, i think a lot of that is the fact that, due to the previous generation, these guys nowadays dont have to worry so much about the difference in money between 4th and 9th or even 29th place.  you can be a journeyman who teeters on the cut line every week and youre a multi millionaire now.  especially considering most of them have multi million dollar endorsement contracts before they even tee it up.  back then, the difference between 4th and 9th might have been significant enough that it warranted playing for position. 

duffy waldorf didnt live the same lifestyle that tommy fleetwood and ryan moore are living.  and dont get me wrong, im sure duffy is not struggling to pay the electric bill.  but let current guys with comparable ranking play with the same longevity as he did and they will amass 10 times what he did. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hawg414 on August 14, 2017, 01:41:21 pm
while i agree for the most part, i think a lot of that is the fact that, due to the previous generation, these guys nowadays dont have to worry so much about the difference in money between 4th and 9th or even 29th place.  you can be a journeyman who teeters on the cut line every week and youre a multi millionaire now.  especially considering most of them have multi million dollar endorsement contracts before they even tee it up.  back then, the difference between 4th and 9th might have been significant enough that it warranted playing for position. 

duffy waldorf didnt live the same lifestyle that tommy fleetwood and ryan moore are living.  and dont get me wrong, im sure duffy is not struggling to pay the electric bill.  but let current guys with comparable ranking play with the same longevity as he did and they will amass 10 times what he did.

While I know what point you are trying to make and you are corret, teetering on the cut line is not amassing you a fortune.  The fortunes start come with top 10's and a win or two along the way.  Teetering on the cut line is not getting you in majors and WGC's and other big pay day events to where you are cashing checks larger than average income of a state. 

For instance, last guy on sunday made $19,000.  and your smaller tournaments last place can be as low as $6,000.  By the time they pay a caddie anything, a couple air line tickets, and small things, they aren't making much.  Plus you got to remember they need to be socking away probably 30% for taxes. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on August 14, 2017, 01:19:13 pm

We should make sure we have Patton Kizzire, Omar (Bradley) Uresti, and Tripp Isenhour on the team every year.

Jim Harris

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 13, 2017, 03:17:17 pm
I can just see CBS signing off and saying, "By the way, you never saw him today but Patrick Reed won the PGA."

Kisner was putting for a birdie on No. 17 and they never showed it. Amazing. But I'm glad they got to show Rickie, Jordan and everybody hugging JThomas and all that love dumped on them by Nantz. Not against Thomas at all, it just seemed like CBS was really glad it wasn't Kisner or Stroud winning. Nantz signs off with another one of those "one for the ages" or something to indicate this was as special a PGA as they come. OK.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Jim Harris on August 14, 2017, 02:48:54 pm
Kisner was putting for a birdie on No. 17 and they never showed it. Amazing. But I'm glad they got to show Rickie, Jordan and everybody hugging JThomas and all that love dumped on them by Nantz. Not against Thomas at all, it just seemed like CBS was really glad it wasn't Kisner or Stroud winning. Nantz signs off with another one of those "one for the ages" or something to indicate this was as special a PGA as they come. OK.

I'm gonna make sure Nantz does my funeral someday.  I'll get a better send off than Princess Di got.

Dr. Starcs

Louis Oosthuizen is so dang likable too.

Anyone see his twitter video last night?  So awesome.

ricepig

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on August 14, 2017, 04:14:25 pm

https://twitter.com/Louis57TM/status/896910397306830848

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on August 14, 2017, 04:14:25 pm

I'm with ya, Doc.  Louis is one of my favorites for a lot of reasons.  First, he does seem like a genuine good guy.  Second, his nickname is Shrek, he knows why (his ears) and he thinks it's funny.  Third, he has the sweetest swing in golf right now.  And fourth, he plays the John Deere every year because he looks forward to the tour of the Deere facilities and the chance to drive tractors ... honestly.

hogbud

Louis to be on Feherty next week

onebadrubi

Quote from: Jim Harris on August 14, 2017, 02:48:54 pm

Actually they did show it

Jim Harris

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 14, 2017, 09:38:50 pm
Actually they did show it

OK. I must have dozed off. sorry.

So, what did you think about Thomas's ball hanging on the cup at 10 for 10 seconds before falling? There is a Twitter video out that shows the video time on it and it takes between 12-13 seconds on that clock for the ball to fall.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

EastexHawg

Quote from: Jim Harris on August 15, 2017, 11:13:05 am
So, what did you think about Thomas's ball hanging on the cup at 10 for 10 seconds before falling? There is a Twitter video out that shows the video time on it and it takes between 12-13 seconds on that clock for the ball to fall.

Someone who knows the rules better than I do will have to clarify, but does the player have ten seconds to start walking up to the ball to tap it in?

onebadrubi

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 15, 2017, 11:16:54 am
Someone who knows the rules better than I do will have to clarify, but does the player have ten seconds to start walking up to the ball to tap it in?

I think more than 10 it's considered a shot maybe?

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 15, 2017, 11:16:54 am

You have a "reasonable" amount of time to walk to the hole, then the 10 second  clock starts.

EastexHawg

Quote from: ricepig on August 15, 2017, 01:01:16 pm
You have a "reasonable" amount of time to walk to the hole, then the 10 second  clock starts.

Okay, I got it somewhat backward, but I knew it was something like that. 

cc

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 14, 2017, 01:51:33 pm
While I know what point you are trying to make and you are corret, teetering on the cut line is not amassing you a fortune.  The fortunes start come with top 10's and a win or two along the way.  Teetering on the cut line is not getting you in majors and WGC's and other big pay day events to where you are cashing checks larger than average income of a state. 

For instance, last guy on sunday made $19,000.  and your smaller tournaments last place can be as low as $6,000.  By the time they pay a caddie anything, a couple air line tickets, and small things, they aren't making much.  Plus you got to remember they need to be socking away probably 30% for taxes. 

Yes.  Just making cuts doesn't make them a millionaire.  The endorsements are not very big unless you are out front and on TV all the time and have a marketable personality.