Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Benintendi

Started by philiphog, April 22, 2017, 08:31:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

philiphog

Any reason why he isn't playing tonight?

TebowHater

Looks like he just getting his first day off of the year. Grounded into two DPs last night I believe, so it makes sense.

http://nesn.com/2017/04/red-sox-vs-orioles-lineup-dustin-pedroia-andrew-benintendi-get-day-off/

philiphog

Quote from: TebowHater on April 22, 2017, 08:53:05 pm
Looks like he just getting his first day off of the year. Grounded into two DPs last night I believe, so it makes sense.

http://nesn.com/2017/04/red-sox-vs-orioles-lineup-dustin-pedroia-andrew-benintendi-get-day-off/

Thank you!

onebadrubi

There are certain left handed match ups they try to rest him against.  I know tonight's opponent was getting his MLb debut but might have a pitch that they don't like AB's bat against.

JHicks3636

I guess the off day worked. He is 3-3 so far today through 5 innings. Now 4-4 with an RBI single in the 6th. Hit it off the right field wall but it was hit so hard and came straight back to the rightfielder who threw him out at 2B. First 4 hit game in his career with at least 1 bat still to go unless they sub him out.

razorhog52

JHicks3636

Quote from: razorhog52 on April 23, 2017, 04:14:05 pm
5-5 with 5 singles.

Raised his average to .347. Plus he becomes the youngest player in Red Sox history to go 5-5 or better in a game. Who was the youngest before him? Babe Ruth. Nothing like taking a record from the Babe-any record.

hoglady

He's just such a mature and level headed guy.
The pressure in Boston (especially playing left field) is enormous.
Boston fans can be brutal - they live and die by every game.
Hopefully, he continues to do well.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

JHicks3636

His game is on ESPN now

pork in the whiskers

Quote from: JHicks3636 on April 23, 2017, 06:54:38 pm
Raised his average to .347. Plus he becomes the youngest player in Red Sox history to go 5-5 or better in a game. Who was the youngest before him? Babe Ruth. Nothing like taking a record from the Babe-any record.

Wonder if they trade him to The Bronx...

philiphog

He did score Boston's only run tonight.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: pork in the whiskers on April 26, 2017, 09:50:38 pm

That would probably cause another Boston Tea Party ... he is extremely popular with the fan base.

hoglady

Quote from: pork in the whiskers on April 26, 2017, 09:50:38 pm

No way Boston does anything to help the Yankees.
Boston's had some players end up with the Yankees but not by direct trade from the Sox to the Yankees.
The Yanks outbid the Red Sox at contract time - Boggs, Damon, Jacoby.
Clemens ended up with the Yankees via trade with Toronto.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

hog_fan86

Pretty sure that was sarcasm.  Considering they were talking about Benintendi breaking a Babe Ruth record and Boston traded Ruth to the yanks..

pork in the whiskers

Quote from: hog_fan86 on April 28, 2017, 08:21:40 am
Pretty sure that was sarcasm.  Considering they were talking about Benintendi breaking a Babe Ruth record and Boston traded Ruth to the yanks..

yessir... for you, as the sign says, "free beer tomorrow."

hoglady

Quote from: hog_fan86 on April 28, 2017, 08:21:40 am

Yes - I lived with the "Curse of the Bambino" for too many decades.
I honestly thought I would never live to see the day it ended.

TexArkHogFan

Crunched his second and third home run against the World Champion Chicago Cubs.  One yesterday and one the day before.  Currently leads  Red Sox in Average, Runs, RBI, OBP and tied for the lead in HR.  As a life long Red Sox fan (started when Ted Williams was there) I was elated when they drafted Benintendi,  If he stays with the Red Sox he could become one of their best players ever, all left fielders, Williams, Yastrzemski and now now Benintendi.  If you can get your hands on his rookie baseball card better snap it up.  Go Red Sox. 
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 22, 2017, 09:13:02 pm
There are certain left handed match ups they try to rest him against.  I know tonight's opponent was getting his MLb debut but might have a pitch that they don't like AB's bat against.

I think he just needed a day off.  His BA against left handed pitching this year is very respectable.  Last time I checked it was over .300, it may be less now.  I don't think batting against left handers is a problem for him. 
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

hawgmasta

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on April 30, 2017, 11:00:06 am
Crunched his second and third home run against the World Champion Chicago Cubs.  One yesterday and one the day before.  Currently leads  Red Sox in Average, Runs, RBI, OBP and tied for the lead in HR.  As a life long Red Sox fan (started when Ted Williams was there) I was elated when they drafted Benintendi,  If he stays with the Red Sox he could become one of their best players ever, all left fielders, Williams, Yastrzemski and now now Benintendi.  If you can get your hands on his rookie baseball card better snap it up.  Go Red Sox.

That's awesome thanks for the info.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Red Sox vs Cubs ESPN now.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

TexArkHogFan

Just another day at the office.  2-4 and scored two runs.  BA now .333.  Red Sox win the series against the Cubs.

hoglady

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on April 30, 2017, 11:00:06 am

Red Sox and Benintendi had a nice game tonight.
Just love seeing AB out there in left field in front of the Green Monster.
As a lifelong Sox fan - it's pretty exciting.

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: hoglady on April 30, 2017, 10:46:04 pm
Red Sox and Benintendi had a nice game tonight.
Just love seeing AB out there in left field in front of the Green Monster.
As a lifelong Sox fan - it's pretty exciting.
I wonder how it feels to be roaming the same outfield as the immortal Ted Williams once played.l

TexArkHogFan

I wonder how it feels to be roaming the same outfield as the immortal Ted Williams once played.

hoglady

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on May 01, 2017, 05:04:28 am
I wonder how it feels to be roaming the same outfield as the immortal Ted Williams once played.l

I don't know - it has to be humbling for sure.
I grew up watching "Yaz" - he's always been "my" player.
Left field for the Red Sox is sacred baseball ground for sure.

TexArkHogFan

May 01, 2017, 02:15:37 pm #25 Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 02:41:02 pm by TexArkHogFan
Yaz is second only to Williams.  Of course, I'm a lot older than you, but Williams is still known as the best pure hitter to ever play the game.  His eyesight was tested at 20/10.  Had he not missed five years of his prime to fly jets in WWII and the Korean War there are records he would have held never to be broken.  He still holds the record for the last player to average over .400 for a season.  He could have sat out the last day as the
Sox were playing a double header but he didn't.  Went 6-8 for the day.
https://sabr.org/research/day-ted-williams-became-last-400-hitter-baseball
I don't think AB will stay in left field forever as center field is his best position and if Bradley keeps slumping it may be sooner rather than later.  Bradley is capable of turning it around and he does have a strong arm but so does Benintendi. 

fishes2000

Alright lets put Benintendi in the all-star game.http://m.redsox.mlb.com/news/article/227639396/andrew-benintendi-among-red-sox-on-asg-ballot/

In the article it tells how to vote for the all-star team. Lets get him on the team as a rookie.

TexArkHogFan

You can vote five times a day.  Got my five in.

fishes2000

This is from Boston Red Sox team site today.

hoglady

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on May 01, 2017, 02:15:37 pm
Yaz is second only to Williams.  Of course, I'm a lot older than you, but Williams is still known as the best pure hitter to ever play the game.  His eyesight was tested at 20/10.  Had he not missed five years of his prime to fly jets in WWII and the Korean War there are records he would have held never to be broken.  He still holds the record for the last player to average over .400 for a season.  He could have sat out the last day as the
Sox were playing a double header but he didn't.  Went 6-8 for the day.
https://sabr.org/research/day-ted-williams-became-last-400-hitter-baseball
I don't think AB will stay in left field forever as center field is his best position and if Bradley keeps slumping it may be sooner rather than later.  Bradley is capable of turning it around and he does have a strong arm but so does Benintendi. 

Did you see the clip showing Bradley THROWING the ball from home plate into the centerfield stands during a practice. I was amazed.

hoglady

My 5 votes are in.
Thanks for posting that.

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: fishes2000 on May 02, 2017, 11:59:49 am
This is from Boston Red Sox team site today.

You missed SLG, he leads that one also.  lol.  Vazquez would be up there but he hasn't played in enough games, the more he plays the more his numbers drop. As a team, the Sox are stumbling, too many men LOB, too many errors and hitting into too many double plays.  They hit the ball hard yesterday, but more times than not, right at somebody.  AB still came out 1-3 with a run scored.

311Hog

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on May 02, 2017, 12:23:40 pm
You missed SLG, he leads that one also.  lol.  Vazquez would be up there but he hasn't played in enough games, the more he plays the more his numbers drop. As a team, the Sox are stumbling, too many men LOB, too many errors and hitting into too many double plays.  They hit the ball hard yesterday, but more times than not, right at somebody.  AB still came out 1-3 with a run scored.

Yeah i watch the sox now just to watch Bennyball.  He had a good day.  1-3 with a run scored as you say he also walked, and drove in a run.  He almost made a nice play from LF to end a double but the throw was just offline.  they lost 5-2 because of so many errors.

I really enjoy seeing an everyday player "on a big market team" like Andrew with Hog ties.

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: 311Hog on May 02, 2017, 01:22:43 pm
Yeah i watch the sox now just to watch Bennyball.  He had a good day.  1-3 with a run scored as you say he also walked, and drove in a run.  He almost made a nice play from LF to end a double but the throw was just offline.  they lost 5-2 because of so many errors.

I really enjoy seeing an everyday player "on a big market team" like Andrew with Hog ties.

He was also involved in a mix up on the bases when he held at second and Ramirez did also.  Not sure who was at fault there, AB, Ramirez or the 1st base coach for the Sox.  I personally think it was Ramirez who should have held at first when AB decided to play it safe.  They called AB out but again, I don't think it was his fault.  I would also blame it on the 1st base coach for not holding Ramirez at first when he saw AB was not going to attempt going to 3rd on a left field hit.  Regardless of who was at fault, it killed a rally.  The pitcher throwing a for sure double play ball into center field sure didn't help either.

PintailKiller

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on May 02, 2017, 02:23:49 pm
He was also involved in a mix up on the bases when he held at second and Ramirez did also.  Not sure who was at fault there, AB, Ramirez or the 1st base coach for the Sox.  I personally think it was Ramirez who should have held at first when AB decided to play it safe.  They called AB out but again, I don't think it was his fault.  I would also blame it on the 1st base coach for not holding Ramirez at first when he saw AB was not going to attempt going to 3rd on a left field hit.  Regardless of who was at fault, it killed a rally.  The pitcher throwing a for sure double play ball into center field sure didn't help either.

All on Ramirez there.  1st base coach had no say is AB holding - Ramirez never looked up to see if AB went to 3rd.  Even the announcers were on HR about his baserunning.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

JHicks3636

The Red Sox are batting Benintendi cleanup today for the first time.

JHicks3636

So far has responded with 2 hits in 3 trips to the plate including a 2-RBI double. Game is only in the 4th inning.

JHicks3636

philiphog

hoglady

Quote from: JHicks3636 on May 06, 2017, 05:45:09 pm
Ended up 3-6

Played a pretty good Centerfield today, too.
Missed one on a sliding catch that he probably gets 9 out of 10 times, though.
Red Sox just have a great young outfield - AB, Betts, JB, Jr and Chris Young.

JHicks3636

As the Red Sox had so many hits and runs yesterday I assumed they would stick with the new line-up and they did. AB again delivered from the clean-up position with a 2-run homer in the 1st inning today.

philiphog

1-1 today with another homerun today.

TebowHater

Quote from: philiphog on May 07, 2017, 01:27:12 pm
1-1 today with another homerun today.

Just doubled, stole third, and scored.

JHicks3636

His homer was pulled to right, then he doubled to left. Just great tools, uses the entire field.

bulldog04

Quote from: JHicks3636 on May 07, 2017, 03:38:21 pm
His homer was pulled to right, then he doubled to left. Just great tools, uses the entire field.
It would be pretty sweet to see him playing in the All Star Game this year

JHicks3636

After batting in the 8th, it looked like Benintendi's time at the plate was over. Then Boston goes wild in the 9th. AB gets two at-bats in the inning. Gets an intentional walk on the first one. On the second one he works a 9 pitch walk. Will most likely finish the day 2-4 with the homer and double, with 2 BB thrown in.

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

BossHog12

This guy deserves to be in the All Star Game as a rookie. Amazing season so far, the Red Sox' best guy at the plate.

JHicks3636

Quote from: BossHog12 on May 08, 2017, 01:10:57 am
This guy deserves to be in the All Star Game as a rookie. Amazing season so far, the Red Sox' best guy at the plate.
Here is where Benintendi stands among Red Sox players with enough at-bats

Batting average .325, 2nd to Bogaerts at .340   5th in the AL
At-bats            120, 1st
Runs                  21, 1st
Hits                   39, 1st                               T-3rd in the AL with Mike Trout
Doubles                6, 3rd
Homeruns             5, T-1st
RBIs                  20, 1st
BB                     11, T-4th
Stolen bases         3, T-2nd
OBP                   .385, 2nd to Bogaerts at .393
Slugging             .500, 1st
OPS                   .885, 1st

I only listed the AL stats in which he is Top 10. In several more stats he is Top 15 and Top 20.

Hogs49ers

3/4 tonight....Dude is a stud.
SCREW Vandy!