Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Former Raw GM Mike Adamle is battling dementia and possibly CTE

Started by jbcarol, February 09, 2017, 06:56:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/829353786867073024

QuoteAccording to Peggy Kusinski of NBC Chicago, Adamle has had seizures and epilepsy for the last 19 years. Adamle says his neurologist said the seizures are "post-traumatic epilepsy," likely stemming from his football career. Now he's battling dementia and possibly CTE, though CTE has so far only been able to be detected after a person's death. CTE is a degenerative brain disease that's been found in athletes who have been hit in the head repeatedly.

"It shook my world, and it just got kind of a little bit worse sometimes every day," Adamle said in Kusinski's story.

Adamle, who's 67 years old, graduated from Northwestern in 1971. In 1969, he rushed for a school-record 316 yards against Wisconsin. He then ran for 1,255 yards in 1970 and won the Chicago Tribune's Silver Football as league MVP.

The Wildcats star then got drafted in the fourth round of the 1971 NFL Draft. He played for the Kansas City Chiefs, New York Jets and Chicago Bears for six seasons. After his playing days, Adamle got into sports broadcasting, including "American Gladiators," World Wrestling Entertainment and also helped cover the 2000 and 2004 Summer Olympics.

Adamle, who said he's not sure how many concussions he's had, said he's also concerned about the depression along with the dementia. According to the story, Adamle wears a fanny pack that has his I.D., phone and house keys in case he needs help or can't remember. He also says he no longer works and can't drive.

"I would do it again," he said of playing football. "I would tell you what, though. I would work harder in the offseason to find out about things that protect you when you play."

Adamle was Sports Anchor for the NBC Chicago affiliate.

https://twitter.com/nbcchicago/status/829346607976034306
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

husker71

I thought that this guy was made for tv broadcasting.   Former player, great voice and good looking.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.