• 382,747 Topics
• 21,397 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Utah's Mighty 5 National Parks - anyone have any experiences they'd share?  (Read 813 times)

sevenof400

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian

Planning a trip to Utah in July and while I know it ill be warm there, hopefully it won't be Arkansas warm......

Utah has hyped the heck out of these five parks and from afar, they look to be worth the trip.  After spending a couple of summers in Colorado, Utah is up next on our list and we're looking forward to this.  I'm doing my reading now, but as we all know, internet sites don't tell the entire story so if any of y'all have any stories or suggestions about the Mighty 5, would you please share them?   

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Setting the edge since 1960
Re: Utah's Mighty 5 National Parks - anyone have any experiences they'd share?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 06:23:13 am »

It's a beautiful state.  We haven't been to the national parks, but we go to Park City every winter skiing.  About five years ago, on a whim, we decided to drive there instead of flying.  It was an awesome, Griswold-type experience.  On our way there, we took a northern route, to St. Louis, then Kansas City, then up into Nebraska, through Wyoming.  On the way home we took a southern route, which took us across southern Utah.  That part of the trip was my favorite I think.  The hills and mesas and canyons and rock formations are impressive.  And those weren't even in the national parks. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Boog41

• Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 11:46:28 am »

I once flew into Las Vegas and drove into Utah. Went to Bryce Canyon, Zion and north rim of the Grand Canyon. Short drive back to Vegas and then home. It was one of my all-time favorite vacations. Be sure to see Bryce in the morning. The east sun really lights it up. It is nothing but shadows at dusk.

holeinthewall

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 01:59:57 pm »

Went to Bryce Canyon, Zion and north rim of the Grand Canyon

Done all those North tim can still have snow in June on the ground while south rim you be in a hot desert.

Zion I liked. Now this was 30 years ago I remember hiking up to a couple small mountain "lakes" that were cool but clear.

Went on up to great salt lake then to the grand tetons and Yellowstone before coming back down through Rocky Mountain Park and back east.

Boog41

• Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 04:41:17 pm »

Done all those North tim can still have snow in June on the ground while south rim you be in a hot desert.

Zion I liked. Now this was 30 years ago I remember hiking up to a couple small mountain "lakes" that were cool but clear.

Went on up to great salt lake then to the grand tetons and Yellowstone before coming back down through Rocky Mountain Park and back east.

That was a helluva trip my friend!

holeinthewall

• Senior
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 07:18:57 am »

That was a helluva trip my friend!

I was wrong that was summer of 76 so 40 years ago. Yup 4 week trip. Car got a hole in the gas tank had to be replaced. Car overheated making the climb from the dessert to the north rim.Camper had the propane lines go out. We got back my dad sold the camper and the car and we never camped again. Exhaust got a hole in it. This was fixed with beers cans being wired to the exhaust.  Snowed on us leaving Yellowstone on June 26th IIRC.  LMAO great trip though

sevenof400

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 09:02:09 am »

By any chance, are you related to the Griswold's Holeinthewall?

Hogsooey

• Senior

Just got back from Zion. Great park. In July, it will be hot and very crowded. I'd suggest getting an early start so you can hopefully get a parking spot by the Visitor Center and catch the shuttle without too much hassle. (Generally speaking, no private cars allowed down the scenic route into the canyon during that time of year - there are exceptions, like if you are staying at the hotel in the park.) July should be a good time to hike The Narrows. Angel's Landing is another famous hike and offers great views. It has some steep drop offs so not for those with a strong fear of heights. You'll have a great time.

sevenof400

Getting closer!  And geez, it looks like the weather will put an Arkansas summer to shame.....
Looks like the Narrows is making a LOT more sense these days....

HawgWild

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Life is good

What's the situation around the Utah's Mighty 5 with regards to forest fires? I was out in Sedona & the Grand Canyon in 2012 when they were having fires. You couldn't see across the Grand Canyon for all the smoke. Hope you have clearer viewing.

sevenof400

In reading a bit, the current fire is near Brian Head which is about 50 (or so) miles to the northeast of Zion National Park.  The current weather in Utah is hot and dry (no rain or humidity) which hasn't helped.  It does appear the high temps might be dropping a bit in the near future so that should help. 

I did find this web page: https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/goddard/2017/smoke-from-brian-head-fire-drifts-across-colorado

which has some NASA images and stories on the current fires in the West.  It's amazing how far smoke can travel.   

HawgWild

• Life is good
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 09:15:24 am »

How was the trip? Got a trip report for us?

husker71

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 05:28:10 am »

If you were young (or older) and had no job why not go and work for the Park Service??  Not alot of money but if you like the outdoors what could be better.  I had a friend that managed the Bright Angel (??) back in the 90s and had no front office helped and said if I would come and help he would make it right.  Again not much money but got my own small cabin and walked 10 minutes to work sometimes with big elk in the way.  Woke up every day to the beautiful sky and fresh air.  They had a nice place to buy everything (but kind of expensive)  a nice gym and a decent library. oh yea very little crime.   

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 08:25:39 am »

I flew over Zion, Lake Powell, and Monument Valley yesterday.  I could see the Grand Canyon in the distance.  For good measure, I flew over the northern end of Yosemite as well.  Even from 30,000 feet it was all beautiful.

ur

• The First Back to Back 7A Football State Champions
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 09:42:39 pm »

Headed to Utah in two weeks. Guys trip with my two sons. One is working in Colorado near RMNP. He worked at Yosemite Last Summer and we climbed half dome.  We are leaving from CO to Moab to do Arches and Canyonlands, Then on to Monument Valley and Antelope Canyon, Then to Zion to do Angles Landing, Then to the South rim of the Grand Canyon, then home from there. Any advice is appreciated.

HawgWild

• Life is good
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 12:57:22 pm »

Sounds like a great trip. Have fun!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas