Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Catfish in arkansas

Started by jowl@themoon, January 04, 2015, 10:41:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jowl@themoon

Looking for suggestions for places to get some good catfish. We live in Oklahoma and get over there pretty often. Been to the Catfish Hole in Fayetteville and like it a lot. Are there any other places we should try? Looking from NWA to Little Rock to Mena roughly and anywhere in between. Thanks  WPS

PharmacistHog

If you make it down to pine bluff Leon's is always good. And I know its a stupid chain restaurant but copelands thin and crispy catfish platter in little rock is pretty friggin good.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Boarcephus

Copelands is a good place to eat.  Have one in Rogers.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

dhornjr1

There's a place in Bee Branch called Cadron Creek Catfish House that has an all-you-can-eat buffet on Fridays and Saturdays. There's another branch of it few miles south of Harrison.

It's really good and they have all the fixins' on the buffet - catfish fillets, buffalo catfish, gumbo, baked beans, corn, cole slaw, salad fixins', french fries, regular and jalapeno hush puppies, pickled green tomatoes, fried shrimp,  fried tilapia, fried frog legs, fried okra...you get the idea.

pigture perfect

Peyton Creek in  Conway is great.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

pigture perfect

Brown's in Russellville and Abe's ole Feed House in Benton as well.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

LSUFan

Feltner's Whattaburger in Russellville has a damn fine burger :)
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

jowl@themoon

Thanks for all the suggestions. Will check them out.

cosmodrum

Cock of the Walk in Maumelle
Go away, batin'

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

DeltaBoy

Mom and Pop places all over the Delta from Devalls Bluff to Helena.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

cubsfan5150

The barn in between pocola and poteau oklahoma is as good as it gets.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

HawgWild

Give the Morrilton Drive-In a try. First exit, coming from the west. Take a right and go a 1/4 mile. It'll be on the right. I had some there this week. Nice, big filets.

old hog

Ate at a place in Conway for the first time, Eat My Catfish. Was pretty good, fresh, not greasy and well priced. Will go back. They serve cold beer as well. Hushpuppies, little on the small side, but tasty. Good seasoned fries.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

HawgWild

Quote from: old hog on January 30, 2015, 11:09:45 am
Ate at a place in Conway for the first time, Eat My Catfish. Was pretty good, fresh, not greasy and well priced. Will go back. They serve cold beer as well. Hushpuppies, little on the small side, but tasty. Good seasoned fries.

Thanks for the report OH. I've not eaten there yet and will have to give it a try. I had to swear off Peyton Creek after having a fried food & sodium overload there awhile back.

Childsplease

If you are ever in the area. Dondie's in Des Arc.

PEtrader

Quote from: HawgWild on January 30, 2015, 11:01:49 am
Give the Morrilton Drive-In a try. First exit, coming from the west. Take a right and go a 1/4 mile. It'll be on the right. I had some there this week. Nice, big filets.

Yes!  Favorite place of mine since I was a kid.  They have a good catfish batter.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

PEtrader

Honestly the best places are in the delta.  I went to a place in the backwoods of Mississippi,  can't remember the name,  that was out side of lake village. Fish was the best I ever had.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

Junkyard Hog

ricepig

Dairy King, Portia Arkansas.

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: PEtrader on January 31, 2015, 08:21:48 am
Honestly the best places are in the delta.  I went to a place in the backwoods of Mississippi,  can't remember the name,  that was out side of lake village. Fish was the best I ever had.

Sadie's Place?  How far outside Lake Village?  Best Catfish I have ever had in my life. 

bolo

i heard chesters country cafe is good, in downtown chester
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ
2023 March Maddest Champion with a little help from my friends

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Childsplease on January 30, 2015, 07:15:35 pm
If you are ever in the area. Dondie's in Des Arc.

Mom and Dad eat there at least 2 times a month.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

hogwild6700

The Boll Weevil in Fulton. The best kept secret in the state! Fulton is in between Texarkana and Hope. Enjoy!
Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second mouse.

hogwild6700

Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second mouse.

LSUFan

Denton's Trotline in Benton, may she RIP

Boog41

I'm hesitant to even post this because it isn't a place to go sit and eat.....but in my opinion the Harp's grocery store deli in east Fayetteville, at Highway 45 & 265, has the best catfish, and hush puppies, in town. I snag some for lunch every couple of weeks and take it home to eat.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Boog41 on February 23, 2015, 09:48:04 am
I'm hesitant to even post this because it isn't a place to go sit and eat.....but in my opinion the Harp's grocery store deli in east Fayetteville, at Highway 45 & 265, has the best catfish, and hush puppies, in town. I snag some for lunch every couple of weeks and take it home to eat.

Don't be ashamed.  The best catfish I've had in my life (besides my mom's and grandpa's) came from a gas station. 

LSUFan

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 23, 2015, 10:18:33 am
Don't be ashamed.  The best catfish I've had in my life (besides my mom's and grandpa's) came from a gas station.
Yup, and I had a crew working in Hardy one year, they brought their own fryer and cooked em up right out in the wilderness, damn fine eatin'!

cosmodrum

Peyton Creek Catfish just east of Conway, Cock of the Walk in Maumelle, the thin fish at The Faded Rose in LR (copied from Middendorf's just north of New Orleans), The Fish House in Conway

Still, my recommendation is Cock of the Walk in Maumelle. Get the fish and shrimp meal. You get greens, pickled onions, cornbread, best slaw ever, hush puppies, and I love their tartar sauce and cocktail sauce.

Oh and a side - fries, tater, etc
Go away, batin'

Boog41

Glad to know Cock of the Walk is still open in Maumelle. Haven't eaten there since the late 80s when I lived in LR. Good grub!

DeltaBoy

I really miss Don's Catfish Kitchen off Hwy #1 in Dewitt Arkansas.  It was one of the BEST!

pigture perfect

The Tadpole in Pleasant Plains on your way to Batesville. Open Thursday-Sunday.

Abominable Hillbilly

Quote from: LSUFan on February 20, 2015, 09:04:53 pm
Denton's Trotline in Benton, may she RIP

Amen!!!  I truly miss this place
"The old man was a good man he raised his children right, taught us how to work hard and showed us how to fight, told us about the good lord and how to use a gun, made me very proud of where it is that I came from"  ***BLACKBERRY SMOKE***

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Abominable Hillbilly on March 01, 2015, 03:18:26 am
Amen!!!  I truly miss this place

Yep the Trotline was just as good to me as Don's down in Dewitt. May they both rest in peace.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Boog41 on February 23, 2015, 09:48:04 am
I've had good catfish at a lot of places.  Some strange places.  It's the hush puppies that can be hit or miss.  For hush puppies it's hard to beat Catfish Hole.

Boog41

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 02, 2015, 04:40:45 pm
I've had good catfish at a lot of places.  Some strange places.  It's the hush puppies that can be hit or miss.  For hush puppies it's hard to beat Catfish Hole.

Grizzly, I agree with you about hush puppies. A lot of the time good ones are hard to find. I do like Catfish Hole's and Harps also.

Speaking of, I'm headed to Harps today for lunch!! Gonna get a little fried okra to go along with the catfish and puppies.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Boog41 on March 03, 2015, 10:20:10 am
Grizzly, I agree with you about hush puppies. A lot of the time good ones are hard to find. I do like Catfish Hole's and Harps also.

Speaking of, I'm headed to Harps today for lunch!! Gonna get a little fried okra to go along with the catfish and puppies.
My Harps in Fort Smith has good catfish as well, but they rarely have hush puppies in the case.  Maybe bad timing.

HawgWild

Quote from: old hog on January 30, 2015, 11:09:45 am

Ate here today. My wife says if she's going to have catfish and/or shrimp in Conway it's coming from this place. Thanks for the tip. It was good and having a beer on the side was nice.

LSUFan

Had Catfish Acadian night before last at Sammy's (Sorry, it's in South La)

Two wonderfully fried fillets, served over rice, topped of with Crawfish Etouffee (Made with a butter Roux and 1ib of crawfish tails) with a nice slab of fresh buttered French Bread. It was a mouthgasm.

Finished it off with a White Chocolate and Blueberry Bread Pudding.

I saw God.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: LSUFan on March 12, 2015, 04:49:15 pm
Had Catfish Acadian night before last at Sammy's (Sorry, it's in South La)

Two wonderfully fried fillets, served over rice, topped of with Crawfish Etouffee (Made with a butter Roux and 1ib of crawfish tails) with a nice slab of fresh buttered French Bread. It was a mouthgasm.

Finished it off with a White Chocolate and Blueberry Bread Pudding.

I saw God.

Que I saw the light.

go hogues

Georgetown One Stop in Georgetown, AR is the best I've ever had. I have not been there in about 11 years but I heard it flooded one too many times and is now closed. Sad if true. Their fries and hushpuppies were decent but their catfish was amazing.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

HSVhogfan2

Oyster Bar in LR. Out past War Memorial headed toward downtown. Great shrimp and oysters as well.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

cosmodrum

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on April 13, 2015, 06:23:26 pm
Oyster Bar in LR. Out past War Memorial headed toward downtown. Great shrimp and oysters as well.

LR staple
Go away, batin'

DeltaBoy

Dons had my favorite hush puppies cause they had some sweet onion and peppers in them.

hoglady

Lassis Inn in Little Rock has some of the absolute best catfish in the state.
Off East Roosevelt close to I-30. (blue house you can see from interstate).
They also have Buffalo - a really forgotten fish. When done properly it's some fine eating.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

DeltaBoy

The Old Drive in England used to have some great Catfish Po Boys.

HawgWild

The OP was asking about catfish places in the northwest quadrant of Arkansas but we've branched out from that in our responses. Nothing wrong with that as I've gotten some ideas on places to try. For me, the best catfish I've ever had was at UAPB. UAPB had an aquaculture program and grew their own catfish. I had occasion to go there 2 - 4 times a year on business. Every now and then they'd do a big lunch for us of catfish and peach cobbler. Man that was good stuff. I never missed those meetings!

hoglady

Quote from: HawgWild on May 29, 2015, 01:46:42 pm
The OP was asking about catfish places in the northwest quadrant of Arkansas but we've branched out from that in our responses. Nothing wrong with that as I've gotten some ideas on places to try. For me, the best catfish I've ever had was at UAPB. UAPB had an aquaculture program and grew their own catfish. I had occasion to go there 2 - 4 times a year on business. Every now and then they'd do a big lunch for us of catfish and peach cobbler. Man that was good stuff. I never missed those meetings!

There isn't much in the world better than a catfish dinner - polished off with peach cobbler.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality