Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Force Not Retained

Started by pheine78, August 08, 2014, 06:05:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pheine78

You know anyone not retained?  Haven't heard of any SNCOs yet, maybe we kept them all.  I had one guy cut, great worker and going to miss him.  I also know about 7 or 8 of the rest from my career field that got the ax.  I had a hand in one of them going, the others I would of kept and would actually hire if I could...all hard workers.  It must of been a tough process to cut that many good folks, more power to you guys that did that. I'm glad we didn't lose as many as we thought we going to...but I imagine we will in the next couple of years.
Nolan for defensive coordinator!

H&D

My cousin just re-enlisted, but he does something with satellite communications and is attached to the Army. Pretty sweet bonus from what I understand. I haven't been able to talk to him about it yet. Just getting info from my Aunt that usually has no idea what she's talking about.

My other cousin (his brother) is Air Traffic Control. His enlistment is over and he is planning on getting out. But he was worried about not having the option of re-uping if he wanted to.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

DOGALUM

Quote from: H&D on August 09, 2014, 12:13:19 am
My cousin just re-enlisted, but he does something with satellite communications and is attached to the Army. Pretty sweet bonus from what I understand. I haven't been able to talk to him about it yet. Just getting info from my Aunt that usually has no idea what she's talking about.
runs in the family then.....
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

DOGALUM

H&D

If you want to go after me in the political forum, feel free. But it's pathetic to do it over here. We're both veterans and in this forum that should mean something.

I know you're just trying to be funny, but there is a time and place.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

DOGALUM

Lighten up Francis.   Couldn't pass that one up.

H&D

\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

DOGALUM

I'll throw in a shot at your expense anytime I please.  Great thing about this board is that you don't have a badge and gun on here so you don't make up your own rules.

And I never said I was joking. 

H&D

You sure are special. Must have been Army, hence the internet toughguy mentality. Do as you please, it's just pathetic to personally attack fellow veterans in the Razorvet forum.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Ragnar Hogbrok

What's wrong with the Army?

Never mind. Don't want to get involved.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

H&D

There is nothing wrong with the Army, that wasn't fair on my part or really even the point I wanted to make. All branches have d-bags.

\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Airforcehawg

I know two from my Last base. Both MSgt's (E-7), on with 23 and the other with 21 in...have to be out by December.

H&D

How long have they had Master on? Is the Air Force coming at them with the "Failure to Progress" tag? Or is it the "well you've been around long enough so it's time to go" crap.

The Guard did my Dad wrong, but for other reasons. It has to do with the mission change at the 188th.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Airforcehawg

Quote from: H&D on August 10, 2014, 03:12:59 pm
How long have they had Master on? Is the Air Force coming at them with the "Failure to Progress" tag? Or is it the "well you've been around long enough so it's time to go" crap.

The Guard did my Dad wrong, but for other reasons. It has to do with the mission change at the 188th.

3.5 and 1.5...Sucks for them.  The numbers could have been much worse.  Originally my career field was supper to loose 497...ended up being half of that.

I am very thankful that I am overseas right now where the manning is good. There is about a 99% chance I am punching after this tour.  Can't picture myself going back to the states where the manning will be a 75% or less operating on a bare bone budget. In for some very challenging times

bob slydell

Just had my CPT board and the selection rates for some branches was as low as 60% (I was fortunate to make the list).  CPT used to be around 90-95%.  That's how a lot of officers are being trimmed in the Army. 
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

YankHog

Quote from: ArmyHawg on August 11, 2014, 08:16:46 am
Just had my CPT board and the selection rates for some branches was as low as 60% (I was fortunate to make the list).  CPT used to be around 90-95%.  That's how a lot of officers are being trimmed in the Army.
yes congrats on getting picked up, two of my Majors were passed over and one was cut via the early separation board,  and he is right about the 17 yr mark with 7 months to get out, the other will most likely get passed over on next yr's board and get the boot as well...

H&D

For several years I wondered if getting out was the right decision.  I don't wonder anymore, the way our guys are getting treated right now is deplorable.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

YankHog

Quote from: H&D on August 11, 2014, 09:48:11 am
For several years I wondered if getting out was the right decision.  I don't wonder anymore, the way our guys are getting treated right now is deplorable.
I couldn't agree more H&D, we have soldiers in Afghanistan getting their pink slips,  that is in my mind the biggest slap in the face the Government can do to a service member. 

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/07/13/pentagon-gives-pink-slips-to-hundreds-soldiers-including-active-duty-officers/

bob slydell

Quote from: YankHog on August 11, 2014, 11:56:07 am
I couldn't agree more H&D, we have soldiers in Afghanistan getting their pink slips,  that is in my mind the biggest slap in the face the Government can do to a service member. 

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/07/13/pentagon-gives-pink-slips-to-hundreds-soldiers-including-active-duty-officers/

It's getting crazy.  I'm glad that if I were to get the boot I will be leaving with a Master's degree and will probably be ok.  I hit 10 years (with my enlisted time) in November.  I should be getting looked at for MAJ at about 16-17 years TIS.  Hopefully, if promotions are still brutal, I can at least get to 20 considering that I am prior enlisted.  But right now, there are CPTs that haven't even been looked at for MAJ getting cut by SELCON boards.  At least give the folks a chance to get looked at for MAJ before showing them the door.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Airforcehawg on August 10, 2014, 03:02:04 pm
I know two from my Last base. Both MSgt's (E-7), on with 23 and the other with 21 in...have to be out by December.
There is more to it than that if they are being pushed out.

For the other question, the Air Force is far from going to a Does not Progress model.  Sr people are usually only forced out for medical, Time in Service or PT issues and even that is rare.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

As much drama as I bring to MMQB, I keep it out of here.  This is not the place for it.  Each of us, no matter where or when we served, are a part of the real 1% club.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Airforcehawg

August 12, 2014, 07:42:25 pm #21 Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 01:46:07 am by Airforcehawg
Quote from: Pork Twain on August 12, 2014, 08:56:45 am
There is more to it than that if they are being pushed out.

For the other question, the Air Force is far from going to a Does not Progress model.  Sr people are usually only forced out for medical, Time in Service or PT issues and even that is rare.

No, there is nothing more to it. The Air Force came out earlier this year, and due to budget cuts, were looking at cutting 25K. The initial word was this was supposed to be over a 5 year period, then it was addressed that the AF was going to "try" to get to that number in one year.

Initially, for my career field, we were told that we had 387 (I think that is the number) overages for E-7. They then identified E-7's that were retirement eligible in our career field and that number was around 415. Those in the 415 were notified in early Mach that they would be facing a retention board with results coming out in July if they would be retained. In late May the numbers were adjusted, and the cut number was lowered to around 250.

I know people who were cut who are High speed folks that have nothing in their history that is negative, or medical issues. Then I know folks that didn't get cut that are not promotable due to not having there education or PME taken care of.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Airforcehawg on August 12, 2014, 07:42:25 pm
No, there is nothing more to it. The Air Force came out earlier this year, and due to budget cuts, were looking at cutting 25K. The initial word was this was supposed to be over a 5 year period, then it was addressed that the AF was going to "try" to get to that number in one year.

Initially, for my career field, we were told that we had 387 (I think that is the number) overages for E-7. They then identified E-7's that were retirement eligible in our career field and that number was around 415. Those in the 415 were notified in early Mach that they would be facing a retention board with results coming out in July if they would be retained. In late May the numbers were adjusted, and the cut number was lowered to around 250.

I know people who were cut who are High speed folks that have nothing in their history that is negative, or medical issues. Then I know folks that didn't get cut that are not promotable due to not having there education or PME taken care of.
Yeah, I know how the process works, been in the AF for 19 years.  What is your AFSC?  Several of my Airmen signed up for TERA and VSP but they were all told that they should go ahead and fulfill their enlistment but I am a 1N2X1A.

Airforcehawg

I'm a cop (really Combat Arms) 3P091. We have around 1,300 E-7's in our career field, and with the various deployment draw downs, ours was one of the hardest hit. I would imagine that is why we experienced deeper cuts while other career fields with lesser overall numbers and missions not directly tied into deployments (takes a bunch of cops at each deployed location, and if there isn't a base...don't need them) were spared. 

The thing I am not looking forward to is a year from now when all of these cuts really hit home. Manning is going to be a critical factor, and I believe the Air Force will experiencing game changing challenges. The best course of action would be for another round of BRAC to take place. This would allow the remain bases to better staffed, but we all know that isn't going to happen. Its funny to me we are directed to be more fiscally responsible, but when our military leaders bring up the idea of base closures they are told no way.

Old Tusk

Politics trumps military needs and fiscal responsibility.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

Pork Twain

We are in serious need of a BRAC

Ragnar Hogbrok

The real problem is that the White House has mandated cuts to the military without giving guidance of an end state.  We're cutting to get to a number, and we're changing our mission as a reaction to the new number.  We should be cutting the number to reflect the new mission.

We're doing it all backwards.  Which is no surprise if you look at the current political climate.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

Pork Twain

It will always be rough when we have individuals that have no idea of how to train, feed, organize and field a military, making decisions on how to best do so.

Chief, have you considered working for the border patrol after you finish up with the Army?

Ragnar Hogbrok

I've considered it.  But that would mean I would have to live near the border.  I just want to live a quiet, boring life after I retire from the Army.  Maybe I'll shoe horses for a living.

SteveInArk

Quote from: The Chief on August 14, 2014, 08:31:47 am
The real problem is that the White House has mandated cuts to the military without giving guidance of an end state.  We're cutting to get to a number, and we're changing our mission as a reaction to the new number.  We should be cutting the number to reflect the new mission.

We're doing it all backwards.  Which is no surprise if you look at the current political climate.

Agree completely.  Nothing new, or how many times it's occurred in past eras.  But it is fact.  Sad.
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown