Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diet Question

Started by Dr. Starcs, June 15, 2014, 04:17:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Starcs

Really wanting to put on muscle without adding fat.

Recommendations as far as what foods and which ones to avoid?  Also, daily recommendations as to calories, protein, fat and carbs?

Thanks in advance.

clutch

Really hard to do. If you are eating like you need to to add muscle you're going to put on some fat.

ldfergu

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 15, 2014, 04:17:45 pm
Really wanting to put on muscle without adding fat.

Recommendations as far as what foods and which ones to avoid?  Also, daily recommendations as to calories, protein, fat and carbs?

Thanks in advance.

Eat eggs daily with a side of fruit.  Try and cut out high sodium foods, empty carbs and sugar.  Bad carbs = breads, good carbs = veggies.

If you're working out a lot and running at least a time or two a week you could get away with enjoying protein shakes after your workout.  Some folks crush protein shakes just because everyone else does it.  Make sure you keep up the intensity in the gym if you're going to consume them regularly.

superior_wang

unless you are a teenager , its damn near impossible to gain purely lean muscle without roids. Have you checked your testosterone level? that would be the first thing id do. if its low, theyll throw u on the juice (not major league stuff but if your Test is low, you are just pissin in the wind). its a simple blood test.

watch the protein consumption as well. dont over do it. if you weight 200 lbs, dont get over 150-200 grams/ day, otherwise hurts your kidneys .

for me what i try and stick with is a 40/40 /20 diet (40Q% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat).

one last thing, its a marathon, not a sprint! good luck!
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121622961

this might help.

Dr. Starcs

Thanks for the input guys. Let me explain my situation and maybe you can better specifically help me.

I'm 6'0 and only about 165. But at one point I was 195 and not good weight. Developed belly fat, moobs and face got fat. I probablt lost the weight too quick and now it is almost impossible to get tight again. So even though I'm 165 I still have the after effects of some belly fat, moobs and in the face.

What I should be doing diet and workout-wise?  I'd like to be bigger overall muscular wise but being able to shuck the extra fat.

ldfergu

Quote from: superior_wang on June 18, 2014, 10:28:07 am

watch the protein consumption as well. dont over do it. if you weight 200 lbs, dont get over 150-200 grams/ day, otherwise hurts your kidneys .

for me what i try and stick with is a 40/40 /20 diet (40Q% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat).

one last thing, its a marathon, not a sprint! good luck!
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121622961

this might help.

Sounds to me like u need to develop a routine before u worry about getting jacked.

It's a marathon, not a sprint is a great quote. It took me awhile to realize diet is of equal or greater importance than exercise

superior_wang

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 18, 2014, 01:02:37 pm
Thanks for the input guys. Let me explain my situation and maybe you can better specifically help me.

I'm 6'0 and only about 165. But at one point I was 195 and not good weight. Developed belly fat, moobs and face got fat. I probablt lost the weight too quick and now it is almost impossible to get tight again. So even though I'm 165 I still have the after effects of some belly fat, moobs and in the face.

What I should be doing diet and workout-wise?  I'd like to be bigger overall muscular wise but being able to shuck the extra fat.

hows your general health ? hows the knees?
how hard you wanna work?

if you want to go the weights route , stick to basic lifts. Bench press , squats, deadlifts. if thats the route u wanna go and dont know the basics,  get a buddy to show u or pay a trainer. basic movements. if going to the gym is intimidating,  you can get 90% of what u need in a simple home gym with free weights. do that routine and rest 48-72 hrs before u do it again. you grown outside of the gym as they say. do you  get enough sleep? do you drink excessively? do you drink plenty of water? all that crap adds up.

if you are more into say cardio and toning, i HIGHLY recommend doing insanity... and if you want something easier to get started try the t25 program then move on  to insanity.

i know all this via trial and error, be glad to give you more specifics... there s a million workout routines online btw.

superior_wang

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on June 18, 2014, 02:20:11 pm
Sounds to me like u need to develop a routine before u worry about getting jacked.

It's a marathon, not a sprint is a great quote. It took me awhile to realize diet is of equal or greater importance than exercise

agreed. 100%

Dr. Starcs

Yeah, have knee and back problems so my intensity with workouts will be somewhat limited. I only drink water, get plenty of rest and am in generally good shape. Don't smoke, drink etc.

I'd just really either like to get toned or add muscle. Right now I just feel like I'm in the middle and not doing either.

superior_wang

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 18, 2014, 03:02:59 pm
Yeah, have knee and back problems so my intensity with workouts will be somewhat limited. I only drink water, get plenty of rest and am in generally good shape. Don't smoke, drink etc.

I'd just really either like to get toned or add muscle. Right now I just feel like I'm in the middle and not doing either.

not knowing the extent of your injuries, id check with a physical therapist or trainer  first..... otherwise, id recommend the T25 program.  100 bucks  or so but can do at home anytime and can do at any fitness level. i have achy knees as well  so i wrap them  for peace of mind mostly

TX HOG

Speaking of diet. I just over ate on strawberries and grapes(mostly grapes). Thought it was a good idea to eat fruit and chicken until I ate almost ALL the fruit...

Tai_Mai_Shu

Quote from: superior_wang on June 18, 2014, 10:28:07 am

this might help.

This is what I go by. Use the app MyFitnessPal which is really helpful for me.

TX HOG

I use MyFitnessPal app also. I created a drink today.

One cup of kale
One cup of strawberries
One whole banana
1 cup chopped carrots
One and a half cups of almond milk
One cup of spinach
One packet of sweet n low

TX HOG

I drink it for lunch today. It made quite a bit. About two drinking glasses full. I drink it all. I'm estimating about 300 cal total

ldfergu

Quote from: TX HOG on June 23, 2014, 02:16:31 pm
I use MyFitnessPal app also. I created a drink today.

One cup of kale
One cup of strawberries
One whole banana
1 cup chopped carrots
One and a half cups of almond milk
One cup of spinach
One packet of sweet n low

I might give that a try, keep up the good work

TX HOG

Quote from: TX HOG on June 23, 2014, 02:57:57 pm
I drink it for lunch today. It made quite a bit. About two drinking glasses full. I drink it all. I'm estimating about 300 cal total

Sorry for the bad grammar. Siri. I'm a teacher, that post makes me sound very uneducated. Lol.

TX HOG

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on June 24, 2014, 11:06:08 am
I might give that a try, keep up the good work

It's quite filling. After two full glasses of it you're pretty filled up. Like I said, probably a total of 300 cal for both glasses.