If u shoot a bow. What Kind?

Started by toshortrock, May 20, 2014, 11:07:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

toshortrock

i shoot a barnett 350 ghost,,its great,,,,,,,
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

82abn Ard

grayhawg

I opened my mouth and sold my Mathews and replaced it with Mathew's discount model Mission. Its not quite as smooth as the Mathews but is more than adaquate.

Albert Einswine

Bear Paw Horsebows and Bear recurves, traditional archery only here.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Pistol Pete

Quote from: grayhawg on May 20, 2014, 11:56:03 am
I opened my mouth and sold my Mathews and replaced it with Mathew's discount model Mission. Its not quite as smooth as the Mathews but is more than adaquate.

I got Hoyt's discount model. Big difference...
But adequate.

twistitup

PSE - 10 yrs it's never failed me...

It's more about practice than the bow IMHO. I plan on trying traditional in the fall. Can't wait....
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Albert Einswine

Quote from: twistitup on May 21, 2014, 07:35:12 pm
PSE - 10 yrs it's never failed me...

It's more about practice than the bow IMHO. I plan on trying traditional in the fall. Can't wait....

Once you are accustomed to shooting traditional, without sights and a release, and become comfortable and confident in your ability to consistently hit the vitals at close and intermediate range it becomes pure muscle memory. You don't need to practice all the time, for me, excessive practice is detrimental.  I don't touch my bow during the fishing season and before I go out to the stand for the first time in the fall I'll take 15 or 20 shots just to make certain I'm still lethal and then I go hunt. Throughout the course of the season I'll take a stump shot with my judo point here and there just to let one fly in the woods, but other than that I don't do a lot of practice shooting. I'm that confident in my consistency.

I learned to shoot with my dad's old Bear recurve when I was a kid, moved to compounds when I was 17 and shot compounds exclusively until I got bored with all the bells and whistles that made it more like shooting a gun than a bow. Went back to traditionals and sold my compound and will never go back to modern.

I tried to shoot a compound at my cousin's sporting goods store a few years back and it was so foreign to me after more than a decade of not shooting one that I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I can't believe I ever left traditional for modern to begin with. Traditionals are so sweet to carry and loose an arrow from.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

twistitup

Don't you make arrows Albert ? We have cedars on some property and I was wanting to try that sometime too. I agree, the compound now has too many gadgets - almost has become boring to shoot.

When I say practice..... I enjoy shooting just as a hobby too- it's relaxing to me.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

grayhawg

If I don't shoot every week or two I get so stiff I can hardly pull my bow, old age I guess.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: twistitup on May 21, 2014, 08:42:05 pm
Don't you make arrows Albert ? We have cedars on some property and I was wanting to try that sometime too. I agree, the compound now has too many gadgets - almost has become boring to shoot.

When I say practice..... I enjoy shooting just as a hobby too- it's relaxing to me.

I have made my own arrows in the past, out of higher grade fir. But you can make them out of higher grade cedar plank as well. It's time consuming, but pretty satisfying to shoot them, heartbreaking to break them though, haha.

I just order them from 3Rivers now, taper them myself and glue on the broadheads.

A woods walk just stump shooting with judos, kondors or blunts is a good way to spend a day.

pigture perfect

I bought a McPherson Solo-lite several years back. It was the last McPherson that Matthew made before he went totally Matthews. It's light and fast and I've taken quite a bit of game with it. My favorite thing is to shoot Rabbits and squirrels out of my dads back yard in Little Rock.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Flying Razorback

I've got a Hoyt Spyder for my compound and a Roy Hall recurve for my traditional bow. 

Cheaper bows would have been adequate, but it's hard to pick up the cheaper bow and shoot then the more expensive bow and shoot and want to go back to the cheaper one.  That was my mistake in both cases.  A little more money bought me a lot more smoothness and I'm very happy with both.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

FORTVEGAS

Tigerloather

Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity - Frank Leahy

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Albert Einswine on May 21, 2014, 06:26:12 am
Bear Paw Horsebows and Bear recurves, traditional archery only here.

Word.  Got my first recurve at age 15 and enjoyed it so much I gave up the compound bow.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

DeltaBoy

I got a real OLD one  Bear White Tail Hunter II .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

cypert2

Shot traditional for years until tendinitis about killed me. Shoot a Strother Moxie now.
Swinging on the two and the four.

tophawg19

shoot a mathews  but shoulder problems may make me go x bow
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

bamahogfan

eddie yarnell

Just got a Hoyt Faktor, still have my Mathews MQ

micali

Martin Jaguar.  It's old but a good bow.  My uncle makes Black Widow bows. I'd live one but can't afford it.  $1500.

SultanofSwine

Make my own traditional bows but upgraded my compound to an Obsession knightmare. Crazy the difference in this bow and my Matthews lx.

HogBreath

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 28, 2014, 11:36:04 am
I got a real OLD one  Bear White Tail Hunter II .
Always liked those...my buddy has one, tried to buy it, he won't sell...currently got the Bear Lights Out, nice bow, very accurate and smooth, started out with the Bear Whitetail, killed the first deer I ever shot at, then got a PSE, some scum bag stole it, never had a bad bow I guess, liked 'em all..kinda would like to try my hand with a recurve.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Hawgon

50 pound 64 inch longbow made by Bamabows.

grayhawg

Quote from: Hawgon on June 20, 2014, 07:13:43 pm
50 pound 64 inch longbow made by Bamabows.
Those 60 in plus bows are sweet shooting but a pain in the butt in a tree stand.

TXArcher

2010 Elite Judge, keeping my eye on the new Elite E35s for an end of year bargain.

RazorWild

Hoyt Alphamax 32.  Love this bow!   

trphog

HuntinHog

Matthews Q2.  All of my cousins tell me I don't know what I'm missing with the newer models, but it was an unexpected gift from an unexpected source, and it has served me just fine.

Tusk21

JHESTER

Elite Pure 29/70.  One of the smoothest bows I have ever held. 

LittlePigMan

Started out with a Bear Whitetail II. It was really old and wore out when I got it but I managed to kill one smaller buck with it before I retired it. These days I use a crossbow.  It's getting old and wore out too. I've been looking at the newer ones and there are a lot of nice choices out there but I don't want to spend 800.00 to a grand on a bow.

jim shell

mr4pt

ARoutdoorsman

BirdDawg

Just bought a Bowtech carbon knight today.  Hope it was a good purchase. Haven't used a compound in several years.