Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BB PC today

Started by Lake City Hog, December 22, 2015, 06:54:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tusksincolorado

Quote from: ricepig on December 23, 2015, 04:10:13 pm
Yeah, I could hear every question on here and I'm old. They weren't as loud as Bielema, but I could hear them.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/everyone-is-academically-eligible-for-the-bowl-game/

That was ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!

We are setting the benchmark!

Now let's finish what we have started!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Tyro3

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 23, 2015, 04:24:20 pm
He's been retired for about four years. His wife recently retired from coaching the spirit squads. He still comes to basketball games.

Both are great people!

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: pigbacon on December 22, 2015, 11:23:23 pm
Good luck with that, but my fingers are crossed for my own selfish reasons.
same as BB

PP

pigbacon

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 22, 2015, 11:58:09 pm
Some of you people need to get a clue. Those pressers take place in the football operations center. It's their place and we set up under their guidelines. They have a robot camera and special mics in the ceiling that are pointed at the media and Bielema. That video and sound goes directly to the SEC Network. All we are allowed to do is plug in our cameras and plug an audio cable into Bielema's mic.

Mike, with all due respect this was not a real request or complaint...just forgot to hit the sarcasm button.

I as many appreciate you and your input here and I understand things like this that you take to heart as it involves your line of work. Hogville is a place I frequent after work to decompress, read, be up to date with the happenings...and sometimes crack a joke, ask a question or insert some sarcasm to lighten the mood. Just wanted to be clear about that. 

Keep on keeping on and have an eggnog...Merry Christmas to you.

RobGob

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 23, 2015, 09:09:10 am
You can check with the athletic department but I doubt that it will do any good. The SEC Network airs all head coach pressers at various times. They want you to watch them not us. So the room is set up for them.

The lighting is weird so one of the local TV guys set up his own lights before one of Bielema's pressers. Before it was over a guy from the athletic department showed up and warned him not to do that again.  The SEC Network had called them complaining that somebody had changed their lighting.

I was trying to figure out the difference. Comparing that presser to the others I finally realized that the SEC Network had the lighting set up to create a halo effect behind Bielema's head.

I guess they want the various SEC head coaches to look majestic.

Hey Mike, honest question here.  Does ESPN/ABC/Disney really have someone watching these SEC Network pressers to make sure everything goes according to their "script"/setup?  Maybe I'm naive, but it kind of surprises me that some high-ranking producer at ESPN is watching these relatively uneventful press conferences like a hawk and is able to catch that lighting change mid-conference and issue a warning before it is even over. What a bunch of Nazi's.  Is this your typical experience when dealing with big media outlets? Do you have any other stories/tidbits about dealing with big media that would scare the crap out of me?

TebowHater

Quote from: tusksincolorado on December 23, 2015, 05:16:03 pm
That was ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!

We are setting the benchmark!

Now let's finish what we have started!

FWIW...we did not ever have mics at PCs. In May, @BielemasBelly tweeted JL. They went to work on getting them and they have had them for all their PC feeds since mid August. Unfortunately, you can only hear them on the arkansasrazorbacks.com videos (not wholehogsports) which are normally posted several days later.

Cheers,
-An avid proponent of mic'd PC's

https://twitter.com/BielemasBelly/status/578457269211303936?lang=en

Mike Irwin

Quote from: RobGob on December 24, 2015, 07:48:56 am
Hey Mike, honest question here.  Does ESPN/ABC/Disney really have someone watching these SEC Network pressers to make sure everything goes according to their "script"/setup?  Maybe I'm naive, but it kind of surprises me that some high-ranking producer at ESPN is watching these relatively uneventful press conferences like a hawk and is able to catch that lighting change mid-conference and issue a warning before it is even over. What a bunch of Nazi's.  Is this your typical experience when dealing with big media outlets? Do you have any other stories/tidbits about dealing with big media that would scare the crap out of me?
No this was the first time I've encountered something like that.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

From what I have seen, AC has turned himself into a very good blocker. I can't speak to his route running, but we ended up with a good crew of receivers and didn't need him to catch the ball as much. At times  though, AC did drift out and provide a release/relief valve to BA.

EFBAB

longpig

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 22, 2015, 11:16:40 pm
You guys spend all this time complaining about the questions you can't hear and you ignore the biggest thing to come out of that presser. Bielema did everything but come right and and say that he was going to try to encourage Alex Collins to come back next season.

Audio has been horrible for how many years now?  It's 2015, the technology does exist.  A monkey could google how to set it up and probably install it himself.
Don't be scared, be smart.

GuvHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 23, 2015, 09:27:44 am
Article in the paper this morning said the grades came back from the NFL and Henry had the highest while Collins and Kirkland were viewed as middle round picks but their grades aren't locks (not sure what that means).  Said Bielema was going to visit them in florida to discuss their situation with them after they've had a chance to talk to their families.

I've heard different things about Henry. Some on here have said they believe he's going pro while others who know the family have stated that he really wants his degree and will very likely return for his Senior season.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Mike Irwin

December 26, 2015, 04:47:30 pm #60 Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 05:06:44 pm by Mike Irwin
Quote from: longpig on December 26, 2015, 04:07:45 pm
Audio has been horrible for how many years now?  It's 2015, the technology does exist.  A monkey could google how to set it up and probably install it himself.
The audio on Bielema is fine. There are no mics pointed at those asking the questions except for the set up used by the SEC Network. PAY ATTENTION TO THIS: It's not a matter of technology. It's how the U of A has the room set up.
If you're annoyed by this watch the SEC Network.

lefty08

Wow, some of you guys would do well to read all the posts before saying something stupid. Better yet, just read Mike's posts, you will find the answers there.

It's not a matter of money, or that the technology is new, it's a matter of the audio being set up for TV . And before some of you goofs claim the university doesn't care about you because you don't live in Fayetteville, just know the University apparently has zero control on lighting and sound, the network gets what they want. Apparently, the don't care what some guy who calls himself bielemas beer belly decides to tweet about his inconvenience.

Get some head phones or just listen real hard for the questions. Hell, do what I do, hide in the bathroom and listen to it, just stop with the umpteenth post asking the same tired, damn question
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on December 23, 2015, 10:16:13 am
Gross don't mean squat, it's the net that counts, lol. I grossed $5m several years farming, my net was a different matter..... and before you get all sideways, I'm just having fun, it's not like you're HIM, or are you???
Of course not. I have very little overhead.
And I bet them years you hit 5large you pulled in a pretty penny.

I wasn't tryin to brag, i was trying to illustrate the point that i must be doing SOMETHING right on the interwebs.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 22, 2015, 11:40:02 pm
First of all that link to the presser did not come from KNWA. Secondly none of the media "puts a mic in there." We take the feed we are given.  I have on occasion spent quite a bit of time trying to jack up the ambient sound at these pressers so some of you who actually pay attention to what's said can hear the questions. I'm done with that. All anybody gets for trying to provide information to you people is the kind of stuff you just put out there.

You may resume complaining about not being able to hear the questions. You're better suited for that anyway.
You'll be one of the first to say that the majority of Hog fans aren't represented by Hogville posters, yet you sure seem to be sensitive to them. I'm just surprised by the content of your posts given your position and occupation. Regardless thanks for the info.

bennyl08

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on December 26, 2015, 03:47:56 pm
From what I have seen, AC has turned himself into a very good blocker. I can't speak to his route running, but we ended up with a good crew of receivers and didn't need him to catch the ball as much. At times  though, AC did drift out and provide a release/relief valve to BA.

EFBAB

Scouts have said that he is a willing blocker, but is not consistent on his technique. He is good enough at the college level but will need to be more consistent and get better technique at the next level. Even the best blocking RBs in college are at best mediocre in the NFL. Very rare it is for a rookie to be a good blocker by NFL standards.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Potosihog

Genuine question.  Is Missouri in the SEC?  Do they have the same agreements?  I live in MO and Pinkels pressers were always very easily heard (both question and answer).  Maybe somebody should give them a call and see how they do it ;-). I mean if Tigger......

The_Hog_Father

WilsonHog

Mike is on a very short list of posters whose take I look for every time I log on. One of his posts is worth 1,000 from people who think they know something.

southeasthog

Quote from: lefty08 on December 26, 2015, 04:59:37 pm
Wow, some of you guys would do well to read all the posts before saying something stupid.
Oh lefty, you crack me up!

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on December 26, 2015, 05:10:10 pm
You'll be one of the first to say that the majority of Hog fans aren't represented by Hogville posters, yet you sure seem to be sensitive to them. I'm just surprised by the content of your posts given your position and occupation. Regardless thanks for the info.
Go back and read this thread. I've explained several times that it's not a technology issue. The athletic department doesn't chose to do it. And yet here's another recent post:

Quote from: Potosihog on December 26, 2015, 09:43:46 pm
Genuine question.  Is Missouri in the SEC?  Do they have the same agreements?  I live in MO and Pinkels pressers were always very easily heard (both question and answer).  Maybe somebody should give them a call and see how they do it ;-). I mean if Tigger......

Mike Irwin

December 27, 2015, 09:21:28 am #70 Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 09:32:30 am by Mike Irwin
Okay, here's a complete (and final) explanation of the problem behind the great press conference audio controversy.

In the beginning somebody created press conferences. Maybe it was a legendary sportswriter like Grantland Rice or a coach like Knute Rockne.

For many decades the only people who heard these pressers were the media, coaches and players. Newspaper and TV reporters would review everything that was said, pick out the best parts and use those quotes (or sound bytes).

Along came the Internet. Some people on the Internet actually wanted to hear entire press conferences. At the university of Arkansas they set up two microphones one day and pointed them at the reporters so the questions at their press conferences could be heard. The problem was the audio from the coach or player speaking at the presser became muddled to the point that it was unusable for the TV people.

So they put the audio from the mics pointed at the media on a separate input into the amplifier box. An intern was used to ride the audio on the questions asked. Up when the question was asked. Down when the coach or player began to speak.

Before long the person riding the audio levels wasn't there (I don't know why. Maybe it was a money issue) So the sports information people in charge of the pressers kept the audio on the questions down and eventually removed the mics altogether.

When the athletic department started having pressers in the new football operations center the SEC Network came in and installed a robot camera attached to the ceiling and mics in the ceiling pointed at the coach and the media. All of this stuff is controlled back at the SEC Network headquarters.

The local media cannot connect to this system.

So we bring our cameras into the room and plug our audio cables into an audio box that feeds the coaches mic only.

That's it. That's where we stand.

It's irrelevant that "any idiot could use google" and "stick some mics in there." The University of Arkansas is not going to let some idiot stick some mics in there who used google.

It doesn't matter what the University of Missouri does. These press conferences happen at the University of Arkansas.

The only way I know for you people to hear the Bret Bielema's pressers complete with clear audio from the media is to watch the SEC Network.

Over and out.

jkstock04

Quote from: lefty08 on December 26, 2015, 04:59:37 pm
Wow, some of you guys would do well to read all the posts before saying something stupid. Better yet, just read Mike's posts, you will find the answers there.

It's not a matter of money, or that the technology is new, it's a matter of the audio being set up for TV . And before some of you goofs claim the university doesn't care about you because you don't live in Fayetteville, just know the University apparently has zero control on lighting and sound, the network gets what they want. Apparently, the don't care what some guy who calls himself bielemas beer belly decides to tweet about his inconvenience.

Get some head phones or just listen real hard for the questions. Hell, do what I do, hide in the bathroom and listen to it, just stop with the umpteenth post asking the same tired, damn question
I read the whole thread. People bragging about their salaries is what sticks out to me...nothing but pure CLASS there! Lol

I don't really watch our press conferences much because usually it's nothing but softballs and coach speak so I don't have a dog in the fight. When I have watched them Ive noticed sometimes you can hear the questions...sometimes not. The simple answer is if you don't like it just don't watch it. 

But I have noticed when I watch NFL pressers, i can always hear the questions from the media just as easily as the coaches answers. That seems a better format whatever they do differently.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 27, 2015, 08:38:16 am
Go back and read this thread. I've explained several times that it's not a technology issue. The athletic department doesn't chose to do it. And yet here's another recent post:
You completely missed my point. Let me put it another way, don't feed the bears. Have a Happy New Year.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on December 27, 2015, 09:31:02 am
You completely missed my point. Let me put it another way, don't feed the bears. Have a Happy New Year.
I didn't miss your point. Here's my point. You do this for a while and get back to me on feeding the bears.

Steef

In a blatant effort to derail the derail...onto yet a different rail...

I like the answers Bret gives to football questions. It shows a few different things...
1. He knows (and remembers) what's going on with every member of team.
2. He understands his profession.
3. He's not hiding much. And even then, he mostly only  hides stuff to protect his kids.

I liked the pressers that Bobby gave. And believe all three of those things applied to him, as well. He had less personality (like...none), but he wasn't hired to be an entertainer.

I shuddered at the pressers JLS gave. But in fairness to him, he was in an impossible situation.

Watching the pressers that HDN gave, one wonders what in the world Frank was thinking, keeping that $%^*@!!! ....  for ten years. None of my original three points...applied to any presser he ever gave.

bvillepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 26, 2015, 11:34:16 pm
Mike is on a very short list of posters whose take I look for every time I log on. One of his posts is worth 1,000 from people who think they know something.
I second this along with adding you to this list. I really miss Keys and some of the other guys that got tired of the BS and moved on. 

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Steef on December 27, 2015, 09:36:10 am
In a blatant effort to derail the derail...onto yet a different rail...

I like the answers Bret gives to football questions. It shows a few different things...
1. He knows (and remembers) what's going on with every member of team.
2. He understands his profession.
3. He's not hiding much. And even then, he mostly only  hides stuff to protect his kids.

I liked the pressers that Bobby gave. And believe all three of those things applied to him, as well. He had less personality (like...none), but he wasn't hired to be an entertainer.

I shuddered at the pressers JLS gave. But in fairness to him, he was in an impossible situation.

Watching the pressers that HDN gave, one wonders what in the world Frank was thinking, keeping that $%^*@!!! ....  for ten years. None of my original three points...applied to any presser he ever gave.

What you see at a Bret Bielema presser is who he really is.

Petrino showed up exactly on time, (almost to the second) gave detailed answers and left when it was over. He did not take follow up questions on the side once the presser was over.

John L. Smith is nuts. His pressers were like watching Cartoon Circus (a show on Lubbock TV when I was a kid).

Houston Nutt had about a dozen stock answers in his head that he used over and over depending on the subject matter.

Steef

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 27, 2015, 09:42:15 am
What you see at a Bret Bielema presser is who he really is.
John L. Smith is nuts.
Houston Nutt had about a dozen stock answers in his head that he used over and over depending on the subject matter.

Agree.

LOL. Also agree.

I think you're over estimating HDN, giving him 12 original thoughts. Five....tops.

;D

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Steef on December 27, 2015, 09:44:12 am
Agree.

LOL. Also agree.

I think you're over estimating HDN, giving him 12 original thoughts. Five....tops.

;D
I actually had them numbered at one point. Number four was (with a few variations) Our players were feeling sorry for themselves today. They weren't out there doing what they needed. Flying around. Making plays. At that point you just have to point out the Darren McFaddens, the Felix Jones'. They're not feeling sorry for themselves. They're winners and fighters. You know, the trustables.

Steef

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 27, 2015, 09:54:31 am
I actually had them numbered at one point. Number four was (with a few variations) Our players were feeling sorry for themselves today. They weren't out there doing what they needed. Flying around. Making plays. At that point you just have to point out the Darren McFaddens, the Felix Jones'. They're not feeling sorry for themselves. They're winner and fighters. You know, the trustables.

Stop! I'm flashing back! Make it stop!

WilsonHog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 27, 2015, 09:54:31 am
I actually had them numbered at one point. Number four was (with a few variations) Our players were feeling sorry for themselves today. They weren't out there doing what they needed. Flying around. Making plays. At that point you just have to point out the Darren McFaddens, the Felix Jones'. They're not feeling sorry for themselves. They're winners and fighters. You know, the trustables.

I don't know how you kept a straight face.

Steef

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 27, 2015, 10:03:43 am

How do you know he did?

;)

Mike Irwin

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 27, 2015, 10:03:43 am
For about four of those years Lando (used to post here) was my sports photographer. I was anchoring so I was usually in the studio about the time practice ended. Lando would bring the tape back and leave it on my desk. I would look at it and ask myself, Do I really want to listen to this?

Gary Elsken, who was our sports producer, compared Nutt's brain to a DVD player with a DVD containing 10 or 12 tracks. When he was asked a question his brain would shift to the correct track and the answer would come out of his mouth.

jdelo77

All this talk of Houston quotes made me think of a practice before the 07 season where all he said all practice was " We don't stay the same today , we get better or we get worse " I bet he said it 100 times ...

Mike Irwin

Quote from: jdelo77 on December 27, 2015, 01:21:53 pm
All this talk of Houston quotes made me think of a practice before the 07 season where all he said all practice was " We don't stay the same today , we get better or we get worse " I bet he said it 100 times ...
He got that from Lou Holtz who was his head coach for about 10 minutes (a slight exaggeration).  ;D

tusksincolorado

Just STOP IT!

All this Hootie Nuttless talk is going to caused me to start drinking so I will sleep without nightmares tonight!

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!