Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

congrats to Terry Don

Started by sigpooie, January 10, 2017, 08:39:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sigpooie

Job well done, now please come home and replace this carpetbagger.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

HotlantaHog

Glad to hear his name mentioned several times last night. It's obvious Dabo owes his job to him, and not many ADs would take a chance on a wide receiver coach with little experience... a pretty crazy, risky hire where Terry Don saw something others did not.

Biggus Piggus

Terry Don Phillips is retired. Has been since 2012.
[CENSORED]!

PonderinHog

3kgthog

I'd take a retired guy with a little dust on him over what we've got now. Our AD is out of touch with the fans and even though I've been critical of JFB, at least JFB never lost sight of how important fans are to the success of the program. There are more of the little guys than there are those with beacoup bucks. Long has forgotten that.

ricepig

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 10, 2017, 08:55:55 am
Terry Don Phillips is retired. Has been since 2012.

All you have to be is from Arkansas to do the job better, it's like being the backup QB to some of these people.

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: ricepig on January 10, 2017, 09:46:19 am
All you have to be is from Arkansas to do the job better, it's like being the backup QB to some of these people.

Exactly

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on January 10, 2017, 09:46:19 am

Well seeing as how the coach he hired just won a national title after leading his team to a #2 national finish a year ago, I'd say the proof is definitely in the pudding. How many of Jeff Long's football head coach hires have won national titles???
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 10, 2017, 09:38:46 am
I'd take a retired guy with a little dust on him over what we've got now. Our AD is out of touch with the fans and even though I've been critical of JFB, at least JFB never lost sight of how important fans are to the success of the program. There are more of the little guys than there are those with beacoup bucks. Long has forgotten that.
I agree
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: sigpooie on January 10, 2017, 08:39:07 am
Job well done, now please come home and replace this carpetbagger.

Still not over the south losing the war that they were on the wrong side of, huh?

hawgsalot

Ha Ha boy talk about some revisionist history...HDN ring any bells.  Heck JFB had the fan base as divided as ever.  By all means though, carry on with your ignorant drivel.

yraciv

Out of touch with the fans? I don't see many AD's with 100k + followers on twitter that interacts with the fans as much as Jeff.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on January 10, 2017, 10:07:12 am
Well seeing as how the coach he hired just won a national title after leading his team to a #2 national finish a year ago, I'd say the proof is definitely in the pudding. How many of Jeff Long's football head coach hires have won national titles???

You realize that can be said about 99% of the AD's today?

onebadrubi

Lol this place is rampant with short term memory.

PorkRinds

Not winning titles evidently equals out of touch with fans around here.  He may share a different set of values than some of you, but he isn't out of touch. Anyone pretending that Jeff Long wants anything BUT winning in the programs is clueless. He just may disagree with some of you on how to get there.

Fatty McGee

Don't mistake Hogville discontent for overall fan discontent.  Hogville would have melted down if an AD hired a wide receivers coach as head coach. 
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

factchecker

Quote from: GuvHog on January 10, 2017, 10:07:12 am

How many athletic directors have hired a coach who won a national title?  Hell, the majority of athletic directors fail to preside over a program who has won a conference title in football.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

sigpooie

Carpetbagging refers to the fact that this guy is blowing money on crap that does not raise your victory totals and or does not include fans in the building of the program. He is a carpetbagger pure and simple and can't seem to build a program that does nothing more than build in income.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

Rzback

maybe JL needs to hire a football Czar, I nominate Terry Don Phillips
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: sigpooie on January 10, 2017, 10:56:48 am
Carpetbagging refers to the fact that this guy is blowing money on crap that does not raise your victory totals and or does not include fans in the building of the program. He is a carpetbagger pure and simple and can't seem to build a program that does nothing more than build in income.

What is he blowing money on?  You do realize he's taken the program from complete reliance upon a handful of donors to make things happen financially to relying upon thousands of season ticket holders?  And, the AD reduced the cost of GA tickets at Razorback stadium this year? 

Feel free to discuss further.

Now, if you're criticizing the hiring of a football coach using hindsight, that's one thing.  But let's call apples apples, and oranges oranges.   

longpig

Quote from: sigpooie on January 10, 2017, 10:56:48 am

Well, it's a stupid reference. 

Jeff Long is one of the most respected ADs in the country.  He's one of the last guys in Fayetteville I'd like to tailgate with, but is excellent at what he does.  Hope he stays a very long time.
Don't be scared, be smart.

GuvHog

Quote from: factchecker on January 10, 2017, 10:48:19 am
How many athletic directors have hired a coach who won a national title?  Hell, the majority of athletic directors fail to preside over a program who has won a conference title in football.

This is true but I'd settle for an AD who can hire a head coach who is good enough that 8 win seasons are the occasional minimum. I'm realistic enough to know that the U of A isn't going to win 10 games a year every year no matter who the coach is. Winning 10 games 2 years out of 5 or 6 would be very acceptable to me as long as the program doesn't drop below 8 wins in down years but we aren't getting anywhere close to that with CBB and since Jeff Long hired him, that falls back on Jeff too.

sigpooie

Skyboxes, ramped up facilities, killed the avg fan about as quick as any carpetbagger could. Oh you can say we are so much better in how we look instead of how we perform. Keep loving that middle of the pack area, cause that's as high as this guy can take you. JeZ I'm  through with trying to be better looking in stead of better at winning.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: GuvHog on January 10, 2017, 11:23:31 am
This is true but I'd settle for an AD who can hire a head coach who is good enough that 8 win seasons are the occasional minimum. I'm realistic enough to know that the U of A isn't going to win 10 games a year every year no matter who the coach is. Winning 10 games 2 years out of 5 or 6 would be very acceptable to me as long as the program doesn't drop below 8 wins in down years but we aren't getting anywhere close to that with CBB and since Jeff Long hired him, that falls back on Jeff too.

You must be new to the program.  Welcome to being a Hog fan, and hope you enjoy it.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: sigpooie on January 10, 2017, 11:26:36 am
Skyboxes, ramped up facilities, killed the avg fan about as quick as any carpetbagger could. Oh you can say we are so much better in how we look instead of how we perform. Keep loving that middle of the pack area, cause that's as high as this guy can take you. JeZ I'm  through with trying to be better looking in stead of better at winning.

So you're ready to leave the SEC?

GuvHog

I still believe kicking the fans out of their seats in the east outdoor club area to build more luxury boxes for the rich donors was a mistake. It proves Long has lost touch with the average fans.

Hog Fan...DOH!

So I have to sit in a skybox to go to a Razorback football game?   

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: GuvHog on January 10, 2017, 11:31:35 am
I still believe kicking the fans out of their seats in the east outdoor club area to build more luxury boxes for the rich donors was a mistake. It proves Long has lost touch with the average fans.

??????  "Outdoor Club" seats.  CLUB = luxury seating= average fan??.  They are building more, new seats that are the equivalent.  You can sit in the bleachers.  The GA tickets are cheaper now. 

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. 

ricepig

You do know Frank put in the suites because there was a demand for them? That the BAC was nightmare that hadn't been updated since 1970's, that's the reason Petrino wanted the football center. Now, you may not be happy with the football and basketball coaches, but that's got nothing to do with the improved facilities.

PorkRinds

It seems GUV "hector comacho" Hog has found his choice for VP. 

longpig

Quote from: GuvHog on January 10, 2017, 11:31:35 am

The 10,000  sitting behind glass are more than half the ticket revenue, that leaves less than half paid by 62,000.  If that isn't looking out for the average fan then what is?

factchecker

We actually have fans who are pissed about facility improvements?

What the heck is wrong with our backwards fanbase.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

GuvHog

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on January 10, 2017, 11:34:56 am
??????  "Outdoor Club" seats.  CLUB = luxury seating= average fan??.  They are building more, new seats that are the equivalent.  You can sit in the bleachers.  The GA tickets are cheaper now. 

You must be because the east outdoor club seats are not equal to luxury box seating. The luxury boxes are far more expensive.

longpig

Quote from: factchecker on January 10, 2017, 11:44:33 am

They haven't been to Mizzou's home field.

EastexHawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 10, 2017, 10:43:30 am
Not winning titles evidently equals out of touch with fans around here.  He may share a different set of values than some of you, but he isn't out of touch. Anyone pretending that Jeff Long wants anything BUT winning in the programs is clueless. He just may disagree with some of you on how to get there.

10 year plan.  Maybe 12 or 13.

PorkRinds

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 10, 2017, 11:54:27 am

I'm going to be they're smart enough not to put a year value on it.  Unlike some others...

factchecker

Quote from: longpig on January 10, 2017, 11:51:26 am
They haven't been to Mizzou's home field.

Even Mizzou understands the importance of improving facilities:

https://twitter.com/ui7news/status/811002226655137792

"But they don't sell out why would they expand/improve facilities?  I guess all they care about is looking good. Blah blah blah."

You build for the future.  Sad that some Arkansas fans don't understand this.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

longpig

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 10, 2017, 11:54:27 am

The NEZ will be due for a repainting.

island hog

There are some fans who will never like Long ( or Beleima for that matter) no matter what they do or say.   

longpig

Quote from: factchecker on January 10, 2017, 11:59:03 am
Even Mizzou understands the importance of improving facilities:

https://twitter.com/ui7news/status/811002226655137792

"But they don't sell out why would they expand/improve facilities?  I guess all they care about is looking good. Blah blah blah."

You build for the future.  Sad that some Arkansas fans don't understand this.

Yeh the place has its merits now, but it is about 3 renovations behind and is stuck with a lot of major flaws.   The politics of the 'M' are going to be a major obstacle.  Maybe they can work it into an expansion like we are with the gap. I do like the north end 'plaza' and like that we'll have something similar in our NEZ soon. 

sigpooie

You can not separate the need for  winning  for the need for money, why would you need to leave the sec.. so we not middle of the cheating pac.. I'm  pretty sure you can't afford the sky boxes so thank your corporate donors who give the tickets to people that don't really care how we are doing ..

ricepig

Quote from: sigpooie on January 10, 2017, 12:11:34 pm
You can not separate the need for  winning  for the need for money, why would you need to leave the sec.. so we not middle of the cheating pac.. I'm  pretty sure you can't afford the sky boxes so thank your corporate donors who give the tickets to people that don't really care how we are doing ..

Very few corporate donors, as in Fortune 500 companies on this list. Now, do these people own a corporation, more than likely, but what small business owner doesn't?

http://www.arkansasonline.com/razorbacksuites/east/

sigpooie

Having a family that was season ticket holders from the 1940s thur the 1990s I pretty sure what's happened  to our program. I don''t think speaking on a blog is going to change the problem but I am glad I am not the only one who cares about winning. To the rest of you who don't remember what that was like, I say good day. And if you think what JL is doing is good for our program, then please explain to me how winning back in the 60s 70s 80s and 90s was done without all of the big donors and sky box holders.

factchecker

Quote from: sigpooie on January 10, 2017, 12:40:20 pm
then please explain to me how winning back in the 60s 70s 80s and 90s was done without all of the big donors and sky box holders.

Everything was equal.  Then somebody somewhere (probably Bama) decided to put money into a program.  Then someone at another program decided to put more money into a program.  TV rights, corporate sponsorship changed the landscape of college football.  Times change.  We don't use rotary dial phones anymore.  People don't walk to school, uphill, in the snow, both ways everyday either.

Games used to be difficult to get on TV but now you can watch them on your cell phone.  Athletic directors are competing with the luxuries of convenience. People don't want to sit on a dirt patch to watch a game with their binoculars.  They want the best cell service, with up to date stats and replays on a mega-board.  They want to get top of the line concessions and sit comfortably. Suites, clubs, sky-boxes are the solution not the problem.  If they were the problem then they wouldn't have a waiting list.  The luxury seats sell out while the cheap seats don't.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: factchecker on January 10, 2017, 11:44:33 am

Groping for darn to bitch about. They do not understand how to criticize Jeff Long in an intelligent way, so they invent this kind of drivel.

How did we win in the Sixties? We played all-white football in the Southwest Conference.

Jeebus.

How did we win in the Seventies? We had a smart head coach who hired smart assistant coaches. After a few years of adjusting to integration, we recruited a lot of talent - mainly from Arkansas and Texas. Our schedule had two or three good opponents per season.

We played half of our games in Little Rock because Fayetteville could only sustain a few games per year. It was an arduous trek from most of the state to Fayetteville. Our athletic facilities were barebones, but our fans were enthusiastic. When Frank Broyles became coach, Razorback Stadium held 30,000 people. Newly expanded!

Razorback Stadium did not reach 50,000 capacity until 1985. It stayed around that number until 2001. War Memorial had a larger capacity until then.

Cable TV hit critical mass in the 1980s, leading to the arms race among college football conferences, escalating rights fees, and the emergence of a "power five." Everybody in the power five now has loads of TV revenue.

How can anybody obliviously compare football back then vs. now?
[CENSORED]!

factchecker

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 10, 2017, 04:19:47 pm
Razorback Stadium did not reach 50,000 capacity until 1985. It stayed around that number until 2001. War Memorial had a larger capacity until then.

You inadvertently hit on a point that might be the root of this bellyaching.  Maybe some of these people hate the facility improvements because where they are taking place.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

snoblind

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on January 10, 2017, 11:34:56 am

Where , exactly, are the general admission seats at Razorback Stadium you keep mentioning?

Inhogswetrust

Sounds like some of the things that happened at Clemson under Terry Don's administration. He nearly didn't get the chance to even hire Dabo as he was already feeling a little heat before he did. He was not well loved there after his initial "Honeymoon" period.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi