Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chip Kelley

Started by twistitup, January 04, 2017, 03:09:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Boar War

Quote from: twistitup on January 04, 2017, 05:29:54 pm
I think Chip looking around for a college job should make a lot of coaches worry

Sumlin and Gus

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

twistitup

Quote from: Redhogs on January 05, 2017, 10:21:11 am
And yet we are in the Ozarks...wish more Hog fans thought more like this guy regarding the potential of the program. It takes an outsider to see that which is sad. Instead of the Ozarks, how about the land of the "settlers".

I agree, we have huge potential- we just need to tap into it w the right coach. If we could get a guy like CK to settle here, that would be a step in the right direction.

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Hogwild

Quote from: twistitup on January 04, 2017, 03:13:18 pm
Bielema loves recruiting - look at us...

Do you think Saban loves recruiting?

That's what he excels at.

Quote"I just want you to know you've hired a horseshit football coach," Saban told Moore. "But nobody will out-recruit me."

twistitup

deserthog

Was just listening to the Doug Gottlieb show. Now that Cal has a new HC, he thinks Kelley will wait and see what opens up in 2018. He named 3 schools that he thinks Kelley would be most interested in. Texas A&M, Tennessee, and Arkansas. Stranger things have happened!

GoHogzzGo

I would contribute considerable money toward this, as would many fans. Set it up Jeff!

Not gonna happen but fun to think about it at least.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Pig in the Pokey

:puke: :puke: :puke:

Why on Earth would we want that doosh?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

ricepig

Good to see Doug can read what someone else wrote about a week ago.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 13, 2017, 02:40:20 pm

because he did a heck of a job at Oregon would be my guess

hvsupastar

Maybe because he's 46-7 as a college coach?
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

code red

CBP showed how you have to win at Arkansas.  Get a serviceable defense and an explosive offense.  I'd take Kelley in a New York min.  I would rather win 9-10 a year and make a New Years Six bowl as I would be balanced and shoot for that one big year.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

twistitup

Wildhog

I'll start the GoFundMe.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

zebradynasty

The question is why would he consider Arkansas?

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: code red on January 13, 2017, 02:47:19 pm
CBP showed how you have to win at Arkansas.  Get a serviceable defense and an explosive offense.  I'd take Kelley in a New York min.  I would rather win 9-10 a year and make a New Years Six bowl as I would be balanced and shoot for that one big year.

Funny how I remember our fans longing for the removal of Hatfield when he was winning at a high rate, but could never win the big one. One thing I have learned and that is some folks are never really happy.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

code red

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on January 13, 2017, 02:52:38 pm
Funny how I remember our fans longing for the removal of Hatfield when he was winning at a high rate, but could never win the big one. One thing I have learned and that is some folks are never really happy.
He gets another year, if its anything like the last season.  And  Kelley's out there you gotta at least buzz his celly.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

twistitup

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on January 13, 2017, 02:52:38 pm

Bad comparison

CBB is no Hatfield

code red

Quote from: twistitup on January 13, 2017, 02:56:49 pm
Bad comparison

CBB is no Hatfield
Nope...not even close.  Hatfield had us competing on the National level.  However, his schedule was much easier to navigate than CBB's.

The_Iceman

The buyout is still there for Bielema.

Wildhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 13, 2017, 03:00:24 pm
The buyout is still there for Bielema.

You start that GoFundMe.
1909/1964/1965/1977

tophawg19

Kelly knows each of those 3 teams has a lot of talent on them. you can bet he's already scanned the rosters and watched film
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

ballz2thewall

i'm coming around to your way of thinking on what it takes.

we're not going to get the stud defense. we have to offset our points with a more open offense. i'm not a huge fan-boy, but i can sure adapt to being one if things click.

i believe we're wasting time at this point, NOT building more zone-read into our system. of course, that's easier said than done. gotta have the qb.............
The rest of the frog.

S.A.D.C

Chip Kelley is the new Gruden. What color shirt is he wearing today?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 13, 2017, 02:43:20 pm
while cheating and running a gimmicky offense. then he proceeded to alienate all around him whilest failing miserably, and I mean way worse than spurrier or saban. Only lou holtz' PATHETIC attempt at the NFL compares to how terrible Kelley was this year.  That is straight up Fool's Gold. Of course I'd take him, yadadadada, but it wouldn't be without the foreknowledge that he could crash and burn.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

hoggusamoungus

Not gonna put a lot of stock into what a basketball geek from Okie State thinks could happen.

ur

We will be the third choice of those three teams. I would bet on aggies. If sumlin doesn't find a qb for next year, he is toast. Makes the ucla vs aggies kickoff game the start of the chip sweepstakes. Loser gets an early start.

GuvHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 13, 2017, 03:16:54 pm
while cheating and running a gimmicky offense. then he proceeded to alienate all around him whilest failing miserably, and I mean way worse than spurrier or saban. Only lou holtz' PATHETIC attempt at the NFL compares to how terrible Kelley was this year.  That is straight up Fool's Gold. Of course I'd take him, yadadadada, but it wouldn't be without the foreknowledge that he could crash and burn.

It's interesting that you compare Chip Kelley to Lou Holtz since Lou Holtz is a Retired Hall of Fame College Football coach.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: GuvHog on January 13, 2017, 03:36:18 pm
It's interesting that you compare Chip Kelley to Lou Holtz since Lou Holtz is a Retired Hall of Fame College Football coach.
ok. Maybe chip will be , too, who knows. Im just saying he was historically bad and if i didnt say LH, somebody else would have. No one can deny how bad Lou was in NY.
@Slackaveli

Hoggish1

Quote from: deserthog on January 13, 2017, 02:35:42 pm
Was just listening to the Doug Gottlieb show. Now that Cal has a new HC, he thinks Kelley will wait and see what opens up in 2018. He named 3 schools that he thinks Kelley would be most interested in. Texas A&M, Tennessee, and Arkansas. Stranger things have happened!

Gottdwieb?

GuvHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 13, 2017, 03:40:12 pm
ok. Maybe chip will be , too, who knows. Im just saying he was historically bad and if i didnt say LH, somebody else would have. No one can deny how bad Lou was in NY.

I agree. Some coaches are good College coaches but just aren't meant for the NFL.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

bennyl08

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 13, 2017, 02:43:20 pm

And Bielema did at least as good a job at Wisconsin.

Both coaches got their start at already well established school, run by authoritarian AD's. Both coaches took 8-9 consistently programs and turned them into 10 win consistently programs. The Rose Bowl game b/w the two was almost as close to a tie as you can get.

Absolutely zero evidence he'd do any better here than Bielema. Instead of people complaining about Big 10 ideas failing in the SEC, people would be complaining that the PAC 12 offense won't work in the SEC. That's likely the only change that would happen.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PorkRyan

He was 10-6, 10-6 and 6-9 in Philly.  He seemed like a solid coach, but terrible as head of player operations.  SF was a train wreck this year but that is on Jed York.   

Biggus Piggus

Chip Kelly, the new Gruden.
[CENSORED]!

hawgon

It's the Arkansas formula.  The best coaches at Arkansas in the last forty years are NFL rejects.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 13, 2017, 02:51:07 pm
The question is why would he consider Arkansas?

Maybe Jeff Long's rep for handing out big buyouts if you can win 6 games and having a schedule that is very easy to stay ahead of is finally paying off. 

cosmodrum

The question is, could Chip Kelley get Ryan Mallet or Mitch Mustang to coach QBs? Maybe Niles Davis to coach RBs?
Go away, batin'

Nosboar Accubond

Hogwild

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 13, 2017, 03:49:39 pm
And Bielema did at least as good a job at Wisconsin.

Both coaches got their start at already well established school, run by authoritarian AD's. Both coaches took 8-9 consistently programs and turned them into 10 win consistently programs. The Rose Bowl game b/w the two was almost as close to a tie as you can get.

Absolutely zero evidence he'd do any better here than Bielema. Instead of people complaining about Big 10 ideas failing in the SEC, people would be complaining that the PAC 12 offense won't work in the SEC. That's likely the only change that would happen.

CBB did a solid job at Wisconsin, but not on the level of what Kelly did at Oregon.  46-7 (33-3) 2 BCS Bowl wins and played for the National Title, 3 consecutive top 5 finishes.

phadedhawg

If the fine folks at the University of Arkansas and Chip can reach an understanding I will wish them well. 

Justifiable Hogicide

And it's well known he hates recruiting and dealing with fans.

JOKERHOG

exactly what we need to bring excitement and attention to the program.  The opposite of what we have now
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Sooie71923

Y'all don't have to admit it, but both a&m and tenn have more to offer than Arkansas.

TNRazorbacker

Lots of excellent college coaches have laid an egg in the NFL (Spurrier and Saban in recent memory) They are two different animals and some guys are just suited to one or the other.

Smokehouse

Kelly is well worth a shot if he's available and you get the opportunity, but I'd be extremely hesitant about his chances to carry over his system from Oregon straight to the SEC. Would depend on if he's willing to push some of the athletes back to the defensive side of the ball and make other changes, and he seems like a guy who might be too stubborn to do that (although maybe after the spectacular flame out with the 49ers after personally gutting a good Philly team after getting GM duties he'd be a little more humble.)
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

bennyl08

Quote from: Hogwild on January 13, 2017, 05:12:53 pm
CBB did a solid job at Wisconsin, but not on the level of what Kelly did at Oregon.  46-7 (33-3) 2 BCS Bowl wins and played for the National Title, 3 consecutive top 5 finishes.

Chip Kelly: 4 seasons, 13 NFL draft picks, 5 in first 2 rounds. 3 Conf championships. 2 Rose Bowls, 1 Fiesta Bowl, 1 Natty appearance, 2-2. 46-7 overall. 14-5 vs top 25, 5-3 vs top 10.

Bret Bielema: 7 seasons, 25 NFL draft picks, 8 in first 2 rounds, 3 Conf championships, 3 Rose Bowls, 1 Outback, 2 Champ Sports, 1 Capital One (2-4/5 he got the team to the third rose bowl, but was not there to coach it). 68-24 overall. 10-13 vs top 25, 2-7 vs top 10.

I contend that the top 10 games that Wisconsin faced were against much better talent than the Ducks, but apart from that, the numbers show what they show and are in Kelly's favor, but not by very much.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hoglady

Quote from: Wildhog on January 13, 2017, 02:50:18 pm
I'll start the GoFundMe.

I've never contributed to a GoFundMe page but I sure would this one.
The thought of Kelley at Texas A&M makes me ill.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Inhogswetrust

He didn't show how you HAVE to win. He only showed one way of doing so. There are many ways to win.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MuskogeeHogFan

Chip Kelly to Ole Miss to replace Freeze if he gets canned. ;)
Go Hogs Go!