TEXAS AD job opening up....

Started by BR, January 04, 2017, 08:50:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

farmhawg

Quote from: BR on January 04, 2017, 03:14:38 pm
Long to Texas, Bret to Minnesota............. Long live crazy A$$ Dreams
Beautiful!
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

HardCore

Quote from: rhames on January 04, 2017, 11:52:19 am
If long were to leave you all would want the next guy fIred within six months.

Four....if he sucks
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 04, 2017, 02:31:25 pm
What, and you think JL isn't capable of that?  Sad post...

If you thought my post was sad then you must be medicated to read the usual drivel on here!   ;D

And, yes, JL is capable of that, but highly unlikely.  He likes everyone to know he's calling all the shots and isn't influenced by the ptb.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

ricepig

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 04, 2017, 03:44:04 pm
Greg Byrne would be a good get.

Yep. For those wanting rid of Long, they should hope Luck gets it and Long moves to the NCAA.

HardCore

Quote from: AirForceHog on January 04, 2017, 11:53:48 am
Jeff Long is doing a fantastic job here. No need for him to leave.

The air really is thinner up there.........
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: ricepig on January 04, 2017, 04:02:04 pm
Yep. For those wanting rid of Long, they should hope Luck gets it and Long moves to the NCAA.

The last 2 AD's that MSU lost (Byrne and Stricklin) both very good ones.  Relatively Young, energetic, good promoters, use social media well, positive, tuned in, and very supportive of their coaches until it's time not to be.  Byrne is only 45 and has 8 years of P5 AD experience.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HardCore

Quote from: Torqued pork on January 04, 2017, 10:26:56 am
Austin is great, Jeff. You and the wife would love it.
All the money for you to play with.....think about it

EastexHawg

Quote from: ricepig on January 04, 2017, 03:20:55 pm
So you think these AD's get 7 figure salaries because even a housewife can do it? Again, don't you need to be working on the big boosters, administration, and BOT to facilitate all these changes you wish, instead of us peons on HV?

That was called hyperbole, a form of speech used to make a point.  Now I'll once again ask you a direct question.  What is Jeff Long doing that is so good that numerous other ADs around the country couldn't do it?

What are his financial accomplishments that couldn't be duplicated?   Which facilities has he built that exist only because of his unique skill set and couldn't have been built by other ADs in the same position and with the same SEC and NW Arkansas resources?

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 04, 2017, 04:28:56 pm
That was called hyperbole, a form of speech used to make a point.  Now I'll once again ask you a direct question.  What is Jeff Long doing that is so good that numerous other ADs around the country couldn't do it?

What are his financial accomplishments that couldn't be duplicated?   Which facilities has he built that exist only because of his unique skill set and couldn't have been built by other ADs in the same position and with the same SEC and NW Arkansas resources?
What AD has done anything, anywhere that can't be duplicated? No one is irreplaceable, but then again, no one who's opinion matters wants to replace him.

Trystran

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 04, 2017, 03:34:06 pm
People need to stop believing people actually want our people.  These two are not hot commodities.

This. Everyone needs to realize that a) no one is in a hurry to fire anyone and b) no one else is beating down the door to come take them away. We're like the vendor at the market with rotten fruit. Can't sell it, don't want to eat it, but it's all we have. Only options are try to pick at the edible parts until some sucker buys it or a new shipment finally rolls in. :/

Trystran

Quote from: Trystran on January 04, 2017, 04:48:10 pm
This. Everyone needs to realize that a) no one with authority is in a hurry to fire anyone and b) no one else is beating down the door to come take them away. We're like the vendor at the market with rotten fruit. Can't sell it, don't want to eat it, but it's all we have. Only options are try to pick at the edible parts until some sucker buys it or a new shipment finally rolls in. :/

EastexHawg

Quote from: ricepig on January 04, 2017, 04:46:17 pm
What AD has done anything, anywhere that can't be duplicated? No one is irreplaceable, but then again, no one who's opinion matters wants to replace him.

This is a message board, not a Board of Trustees meeting.  It's what we do here.

You've acknowledged that you know Long isn't doing anything special when it comes to finances and facilities.
That leaves what his teams are accomplishing on the field.  That's all I am saying.

I believe Arkansas can be better on the field. 

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 04, 2017, 05:08:51 pm
This is a message board, not a Board of Trustees meeting.  It's what we do here.

You've acknowledged that you know Long isn't doing anything special when it comes to finances and facilities.
That leaves what his teams are accomplishing on the field.  That's all I am saying.

I believe Arkansas can be better on the field. 

Truthfully, we don't know what someone else could do, better or worse. As far as on the field, unless you are winning championships, you can always do better.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Trystran on January 04, 2017, 04:48:10 pm
This. Everyone needs to realize that a) no one is in a hurry to fire anyone and b) no one else is beating down the door to come take them away. We're like the vendor at the market with rotten fruit. Can't sell it, don't want to eat it, but it's all we have. Only options are try to pick at the edible parts until some sucker buys it or a new shipment finally rolls in. :/

Yep.  Just how it is.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 04, 2017, 08:54:29 am
We had all better hope we do not lose Long, because the dreams of who might replace him are not grand.

Nobody is irreplaceable and nobody knows IF the next person may or may not do better. It's dumb to worry about "who might". Especially if its a "dream".
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DeltaBoy

Harold Horton would be 10 times about it.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 04, 2017, 06:49:01 pm
Harold Horton would be 10 times about it.

Probably enjoying his retirement. I bet he wouldn't want to jump into the stress of being a AD.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogwild

The biggest problem with regard to Long leaving is not many school are going to pay him what we are paying him. He is currently in the Top 10 nationally, and the 2nd highest paid AD in the SEC. (Vandy's AD is the highest)

School Pays   Other Payments              Bonus Pay
Arkansas Jeff Long    $900,000        $3,900                   $650,000
LSU      Joe Alleva    $725,000               $0                  $100,000
Auburn   Jay Jacobs   $612,000         $3,000                 $150,000
USCe     Ray Tanner   $675,000              $0                  $0
UGA    Greg McGarity $525,000              $0                   $0

New Alabama AD Bill Battle's salary info isn't listed in the database, but he's earning $620,000 salary with a four-year term.
Long's max bonus is more than Bama and Auburn's ADs salary, that's on top of Long's base salary already being 50% more than what both men make. 
If Long only gets half of his bonus he would still make more than Alabama's and Auburn's athletic directors combined.

Hollywood870

Well, they do like to sit around and sip tea down there so, maybe there's a chance.

Hollywood870

Quote from: rhames on January 04, 2017, 11:52:19 am
If long were to leave you all would want the next guy fIred within six months.
We would be watching his moves, but I doubt six months. Maybe nine.

Hollywood870

Quote from: AirForceHog on January 04, 2017, 11:53:48 am
Jeff Long is doing a fantastic job here. No need for him to leave.
Tommy Bowden
            Jim Grobe
            Muschamp
            Forced to hire CBP
            Smile
            Lester Miles
            Bielema
  Doesn't have what it takes. Need someone who can look into the soul of a man and tell, by his own gridiron experience, the intangibles the man has and decide if he will make a great coach. Long doesn't have a clue. "Just give me a list of moderately successful coaches, I'll hire one, and get back to counting money, while destroying Arkansas traditions and deciding what's best for branding for the University." Should I make another list of lame **** he's done in this regard? Just give me a second.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Hogwild on January 04, 2017, 07:10:01 pm
The biggest problem with regard to Long leaving is not many school are going to pay him what we are paying him. He is currently in the Top 10 nationally, and the 2nd highest paid AD in the SEC. (Vandy's AD is the highest)

School Pays   Other Payments              Bonus Pay
Arkansas Jeff Long    $900,000        $3,900                   $650,000
LSU      Joe Alleva    $725,000               $0                  $100,000
Auburn   Jay Jacobs   $612,000         $3,000                 $150,000
USCe     Ray Tanner   $675,000              $0                  $0
UGA    Greg McGarity $525,000              $0                   $0

New Alabama AD Bill Battle's salary info isn't listed in the database, but he's earning $620,000 salary with a four-year term.
Long's max bonus is more than Bama and Auburn's ADs salary, that's on top of Long's base salary already being 50% more than what both men make. 
If Long only gets half of his bonus he would still make more than Alabama's and Auburn's athletic directors combined.

:puke:

Paladin_Hog

Hawg Life

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on January 04, 2017, 08:52:50 am
No way JL would even be considered.  UT's AD position is much more secure when he is a mouthpiece for the big donors there.

I don't understand the hate for Long. He hired a hot coach (at the time), and Anderson who was a popular pick, not my choice, but I understand why he hired him. Most on here don't know why this dislike him. Saban or someone of that level isn't coming here, and we weren't going to spend $8,000,000 a year for a coach.  I'm not happy the team underperformed this year. I expected 8-4 regular season and we weren't far off and should've been 8-4. I do think some changes will be made and hopefully we hire assistants who are solid recruiters. I don't think Long has been anything but a good AD, and positive for The University of Arkansas. I'm sure you all bitched about Broyles too.

Hollywood870

Let's see.
* The Red Wolf/Forward facing Hog
*Alienating part of the fan base, from Central Arkansas on down. "We realized you played a major part in building the University, but you are no longer needed, except for putting 12,000 fans in Verizon for a no name basketball game.
*Selling seats to corporations.
*No more Slobbering Hog on the Basketball court, it's all about branding anyway."
*The iconic basketball song/chant is now gone that the fans and student section proudly belted out before and during the tip off. You know the one. Where did it go? Know one cares I guess.
*The student section for War Memorial has been empty for three years now no matter who we play. We get it, you've been on strike.
*Throwing Petrino under the bus while you get on stage and cry in front of the nation, excepting praise from the media and the SEC. "Introducing the New Chairman of the Rules Committee, Jeff Long!" "We love you Arkansas, now that you're no longer a threat."
*Started selling Long on Integrity Tee-Shirts soon after. Are you freaking kidding me right now?
* 29-34 in football since the firing.
*CUSA uniforms for the football team every year since you've been here while the rest of the REAL TEAMS dress like men.
*Yes Petrino paid the broad $20,000 under the table while raising millions. Reprimand him. Slap him on the wrist like Alabama, OU or any other POWERHOUSE team would have done if they were experiencing their greatest success in decades. "Bobby, we're gonna have to suspend you for four games. We'll let our lawyers handle the rest. Don't ever do that again."
*Smile!
* He has done a great job raising money. Thank God for the SEC network. Was the SEC network there while Petrino was here? You know, when donations were pouring in like never before and we vaulted to Forbes 8th most valuable program in four short years? Asking for a friend.
*The new stadium looks nice. Hope you sell enough corporation tickets to cover it.
*Pepsi sucks. Coke not only quenches your thirst better, it tastes better too. Maybe the most egregious thing you've ever done, except for the buyout, which you couldn't help, because you have absolutely no clue as to what you're doing.

*Please go away, Sincerely....Joshua Mcghee

KennyForAD

Quote from: Hollywood870 on January 04, 2017, 08:37:14 pm
Let's see.
*Alienating part of the fan base, from Central Arkansas on down. "We realized you played a major part in building the University, but you are no longer needed, except for putting 12,000 fans in Verizon for a no name basketball game.
*No more Slobbering Hog on the Basketball court, it's all about branding anyway."
*The iconic basketball song/chant is now gone that the fans and student section proudly belted out before and during the tip off. You know the one. Where did it go? Know one cares I guess.
*The student section for War Memorial has been empty for three years now no matter who we play. We get it, you've been on strike.
*Throwing Petrino under the bus while you get on stage and cry in front of the nation, excepting praise from the media and the SEC. "Introducing the New Chairman of the Rules Committee, Jeff Long!" "We love you Arkansas, now that you're no longer a threat."
*Started selling Long on Integrity Tee-Shirts soon after. Are you freaking kidding me right now?
*CUSA uniforms for the football team every year since you've been here while the rest of the REAL TEAMS dress like men.
*Yes Petrino paid the broad $20,000 under the table while raising millions. Reprimand him. Slap him on the wrist like Alabama, OU or any other POWERHOUSE team would have done if they were experiencing their greatest success in decades. "Bobby, we're gonna have to suspend you for four games. We'll let our lawyers handle the rest. Don't ever do that again."
*Smile!
* He has done a great job raising money. Thank God for the SEC network. Was the SEC network there while Petrino was here? You know, when donations were pouring in like never before and we vaulted to Forbes 8th most valuable program in four short years? Asking for a friend.
*The new stadium looks nice. Hope you sell enough corporation tickets to cover it.
*Pepsi sucks. Coke not only quenches your thirst better, it tastes better too. Maybe the most egregious thing you've ever done, except for the buyout, which you couldn't help, because you have absolutely no clue as to what you're doing.

So true!   And for all that, we make him the second highest paid AD.    We are ... Sucker U.

HamSammich

I second sucker U....

I'd put forward "sucker fanbase"

It's sad and continual but sort of entertaining to me.... I'll hang of for the climax till I die.

LZH

Let's see.
*Smile!

Not bad. Except BP most certainly had the opportunity to stay but thought Long was bluffing.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on January 04, 2017, 09:07:09 pm
Not bad. Except BP most certainly had the opportunity to stay but thought Long was bluffing.

Yet, most fail to understand that.

artvandalay

Quote from: jvanhorn on January 04, 2017, 03:15:23 pm
Maybe instead of looking at once isolated incident you might want to look at the overall job he has done for many years.  This is not a career field where you can go without ever making a mistake.  He has the full support of President Boren and the Board on down.  If they have to come up with more money they will before letting him leave for their biggest rival.     He is set for life there, as is Stoops, and as is Boren.

There's a 0% chance Castiglione goes to UT, but they really messed up the Mixon situation. Him, Stoops and Boren all saw the tape in 2014 and decided that he could stay on the team and redshirt, er I mean be suspended for a year. They also let DGB on the team after he pushed his girl down a flight of stairs, and didn't do any research on Dede Westbrook who had a couple of domestic assault charges before he transferred in. There's a culture of enabling women abusers in Norman and Castiglione is one of the leaders on campus.  Maybe he's the fall guy and Long heads to OU to clean it up like he so famously did with CBP.  OU is higher prestige and would be looking for a high integrity guy, plus JL worked at OU before. I can only hope, it would be nice to see some of these arrogant Sooner pricks come off of their high horses after a few years with JL at the helm.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on January 04, 2017, 09:10:55 pm
Yet, most fail to understand that.

Then Long can't be blamed for that. Once again Bobby did it to himself. Too stupid or egotistical to realize Long wouldn't bluff on something that important.

Tusks

So the Belk bowl losing AD makes more than the playoff finalist AD and Sugar bowl AD COMBINED.

What to hell and why?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tusked on January 05, 2017, 12:27:42 am
So the Belk bowl losing AD makes more than the playoff finalist AD and Sugar bowl AD COMBINED.

What to hell and why?

So you want David Williams fired at Vandy then I guess.

Pork Twain

Quote from: KennyForAD on January 04, 2017, 02:38:53 pm
I beg to differ!
Who you got?  Hopefully it is not like the Gruden pipe dreams.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hawg Life on January 04, 2017, 07:55:53 pm
I don't understand the hate for Long. He hired a hot coach (at the time), and Anderson who was a popular pick, not my choice, but I understand why he hired him. Most on here don't know why this dislike him. Saban or someone of that level isn't coming here, and we weren't going to spend $8,000,000 a year for a coach.  I'm not happy the team underperformed this year. I expected 8-4 regular season and we weren't far off and should've been 8-4. I do think some changes will be made and hopefully we hire assistants who are solid recruiters. I don't think Long has been anything but a good AD, and positive for The University of Arkansas. I'm sure you all bitched about Broyles too.

You (and others I would assume) misunderstood my post...I'm saying that JL would never be a simple mouthpiece for the power brokers in Austin.  He has too much ego for that; and that's not necessarily a bad thing.  It would be a bad fit, not unlike Charlie Strong at UT.  Bad fit.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Pork Twain

Let's see.
*Smile!

Sounds like a lot of bitterness over not much.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

jkstock04

Had no idea he was getting paid that much. Wow.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

Biggus Piggus

Wisconsin might not pay football coaches, but they give Barry Alvarez $1.2 million a year.
[CENSORED]!

hogcard1964

Let's see.
*Smile!

That right there is gold.

+1000

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: BR on January 04, 2017, 08:50:28 am
Though the school's AD search won't officially begin until late spring, Texas has begun to kick the tires on NCAA executive vice president Oliver Luck, Kansas State AD John Currie, Arizona AD Greg Byrne, Oklahoma AD Joe Castiglione and Virginia Tech AD Whit Babcock, according to Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman. Additionally, Bohls writes Texas is considering making the new AD a vice president over all of athletics and transitioning women's AD Chris Plonsky into a marketing position.
http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Maybe Jeff Long might be interested in this... 

Happy Wednesday everyone, 10 years ago today, Alabama hired Nick Saban.  Since then, he's had 114 official wins, 5 SEC titles, 4 national titles.

I think Oliver Luck has the inside track on this job.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Redhogs

Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Hogwild

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 05, 2017, 12:30:29 am
So you want David Williams fired at Vandy then I guess.

He's earned his money. Since 2007 (when Long was hired), Vanderbilt's revenue producing sports:

-has been to 5 bowl games, including 3 in row, ending a 26 year bowl drought.
-Vanderbilt has won 3 bowl games since 2008, they had one bowl victory in their history prior to hiring Williams
-Men's basketball has been to the NCAA tourney half dozen times; advanced to the Sweet Sixteen
-Men's basketball won their first ever SEC tournament (2012)
-College World Series National Champions (2014)
-College World Series National Champions runner-up(2015)
-a SEC record 12 baseball players were drafted in one year (2011)
-Williams is also a tenured full professor at the Law School where he teaches tax law, sports law and education law.
-Williams also teaches undergraduate classes at the university's Peabody College of education and human development