Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TEXAS AD job opening up....

Started by BR, January 04, 2017, 08:50:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BR

Though the school's AD search won't officially begin until late spring, Texas has begun to kick the tires on NCAA executive vice president Oliver Luck, Kansas State AD John Currie, Arizona AD Greg Byrne, Oklahoma AD Joe Castiglione and Virginia Tech AD Whit Babcock, according to Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman. Additionally, Bohls writes Texas is considering making the new AD a vice president over all of athletics and transitioning women's AD Chris Plonsky into a marketing position.
http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Maybe Jeff Long might be interested in this... 

Happy Wednesday everyone, 10 years ago today, Alabama hired Nick Saban.  Since then, he's had 114 official wins, 5 SEC titles, 4 national titles.
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Ex-Trumpet

No way JL would even be considered.  UT's AD position is much more secure when he is a mouthpiece for the big donors there.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Pork Twain

We had all better hope we do not lose Long, because the dreams of who might replace him are not grand.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Redhogs

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 04, 2017, 08:54:29 am
We had all better hope we do not lose Long, because the dreams of who might replace him are not grand.
Ha, ha...priceless. :) :)
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Hogwild

Please tell me that was sarcasm.

younghog

GO HOGS

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on January 04, 2017, 08:52:50 am
No way JL would even be considered. 
I'm sure this is true since Texas believes in having winning sports programs but look for rumors to start that he is their top candidate and look for another raise for Jeff.

Calling All Hogs

His replacement can be far from grand and still be a major upgrade.

Torqued pork

Austin is great, Jeff. You and the wife would love it.

ricepig

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on January 04, 2017, 10:12:14 am
I'm sure this is true since Texas believes in having winning sports programs but look for rumors to start that he is their top candidate and look for another raise for Jeff.

You can only use the "plane from Nebraska" once, Long already has.

Pork Twain

January 04, 2017, 11:06:52 am #10 Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 11:18:20 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: Hogwild on January 04, 2017, 09:00:03 am
Please tell me that was sarcasm.
Who you going to replace him with?

When I retired from the Air Force, my only goal was to get a GS position.  I took a pretty good job as defense contractor for a while but as soon as a GS position opened up, I jumped on it, and got it.  I have been here since June and hate it, it is too much like being back in the military, and cannot wait to find the right contractor job to go back to.  Sometimes what you think you want, is not actually what is best for you in the long run.

I guess I have just forgotten all of the bad things Long has done here.  Or maybe it is that he has not really done a lot of bad things and there is still a pretty good chance for his last hires to work out.  You are proven right if the Lady Backs, MA and BB fail and I am if all three get rolling.  I hope I am right...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

elviscat

Jeff, here is your chance to be something great, you know they would hire you. Go for it big man.

RazorChuck

Sounds like a good place for Long.

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 04, 2017, 11:06:52 am

Sometimes what you think you want, is not actually what is best for you in the long run

Thanks PT, I needed to hear that and it has nothing to do with sports or a game.

Hogwild

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 04, 2017, 11:06:52 am

When I retired from the Air Force, my only goal was to get a GS position.  I took a pretty good job as defense contractor for a while but as soon as a GS position opened up, I jumped on it, and got it.  I have been here since June and hate it, it is too much like being back in the military, and cannot wait to find the right contractor job to go back to.  Sometimes what you think you want, is not actually what is best for you in the long run.

I guess I have just forgotten all of the bad things Long has done here.  Or maybe it is that he has not really done a lot of bad things and there is still a pretty good chance for his last hires to work out.  You are proven right if the Lady Backs, MA and BB fail and I am if all three get rolling.  I hope I am right...

I hope you are right too, but  Long enters his 10th season at the helm, with losing record in conference play in both  major sports programs.  There are a lot of associate ADs across the country that could have achieved better than that.

Heck we could even do what Miss St, LSU, and South Carolina did and promote Dave Van Horn to AD. 

Marshfieldhog

Sooner Jeff Long leaves then the sooner we can get back to some form of success.

Torqued pork

Quote from: elviscat on January 04, 2017, 11:19:54 am
Jeff, here is your chance to be something great, you know they would hire you. Go for it big man.
He is being held back at lil ol' Arkansas and I hate that.

rhames

If long were to leave you all would want the next guy fIred within six months.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

AirForceHog

Jeff Long is doing a fantastic job here. No need for him to leave.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on January 04, 2017, 11:50:22 am
Sooner Jeff Long leaves then the sooner we can get back to some form of success.
Ahh the good ole days.  How soon we forget how much they sucked.

Atlhogfan1

Oklahoma AD?  After the handling of Mixon?  Can't see the Texas white shirts going for this.  Doesn't project the image they like to portray. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

BadHog

I don't give a rat's ass who replaces him at this point. Hope he goes. He has done enough damage
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Ironhawg

Quote from: AirForceHog on January 04, 2017, 11:53:48 am

I am not sure if you're being sarcastic or not.  I think Long is a mixed bag.  He has done wonders improving Arkansas' athletic facilities, but I'm just not sure I trust his judgment in hiring head coaches.  I also wonder if he has lost touch with a portion of the Arkansas fan base.  I think when he leaves it is going to be for a higher profile AD job, like an Ohio State, Michigan, etc. or for something like head of the NCAA.

Pork Twain

Quote from: BadHog on January 04, 2017, 12:31:01 pm
I don't give a rat's ass who replaces him at this point. Hope he goes. He has done enough damage
That's the grand short-sighted spirit I have come to love on here.  We need change!  We do not care who we get, as long as it is anyone other than who we have!

EastexHawg

What does he do that would be hard to replace?  Any first year Accounting student, or for that matter any housewife who can balance a checkbook, could run the Arkansas athletic department in the black considering the amount of SEC money and number of deep pockets donors in NW Arkansas.

Give June Cleaver a rolodex, one year to watch college football, and signature authority to offer and pay a coach $4 million per year and our conference record over the next three years wouldn't be any worse than the last three...and I'm even giving Bret the first year so all the "dumpster fire" and "didn't have a full recruiting class" apologists don't foam at the mouth in their rush to make excuses.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on January 04, 2017, 08:52:50 am
No way JL would even be considered.  UT's AD position is much more secure when he is a mouthpiece for the big donors there.

What, and you think JL isn't capable of that?  Sad post...

Hoggish1

Quote from: BadHog on January 04, 2017, 12:31:01 pm

I agree.  But never forget that it can get worse—if he stays.

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 04, 2017, 02:09:39 pm
What does he do that would be hard to replace?  Any first year Accounting student, or for that matter any housewife who can balance a checkbook, could run the Arkansas athletic department in the black considering the amount of SEC money and number of deep pockets donors in NW Arkansas.

Give June Cleaver a rolodex, one year to watch college football, and signature authority to offer and pay a coach $4 million per year and our conference record over the next three years wouldn't be any worse than the last three...and I'm even giving Bret the first year so all the "dumpster fire" and "didn't have a full recruiting class" apologists don't foam at the mouth in their rush to make excuses.

All this hate just for firing little Bobby......

slowride

Quote from: Ironhawg on January 04, 2017, 12:35:58 pm
I am not sure if you're being sarcastic or not.  I think Long is a mixed bag.  He has done wonders improving Arkansas' athletic facilities, but I'm just not sure I trust his judgment in hiring head coaches.  I also wonder if he has lost touch with a portion of the Arkansas fan base.  I think when he leaves it is going to be for a higher profile AD job, like an Ohio State, Michigan, etc. or for something like head of the NCAA.

This is exactly right.  Long's tenure at UA has been a mixed bag.  I'm still holding out hope that Bielema turns it around.  But, what some who want to replace Long are forgetting is that who we replace him with might actually be worse, and we just can't afford that right now. 

KennyForAD

I beg to differ!

ricepig

BallHog1

Quote from: ricepig on January 04, 2017, 02:35:49 pm
Who, in fact, got himself fired. But I alway forget, nobody is accountable for their actions....it's Jeff's fault....

ricepig

Quote from: KennyForAD on January 04, 2017, 02:42:07 pm
And how many have come after Long?     

I'd say zero, but who knows.

KennyForAD

Quote from: BallHog1 on January 04, 2017, 02:41:34 pm
Who, in fact, got himself fired. But I alway forget, nobody is accountable for their actions....it's Jeff's fault....

No.  But Long handled it in a very unprofessional manner, bolstering his own image while kicking his coach when he was down.  Not the kind of guy a coach would want to work for... without an insane buyout.

KennyForAD

Quote from: ricepig on January 04, 2017, 02:43:23 pm
I'd say zero, but who knows.

Somehow, I think Long would let us know if anyone was interested in him.

jabberjawls

Quote from: AirForceHog on January 04, 2017, 11:53:48 am
Best joke of the day.  Can't stop laughing....

jabberjawls

Quote from: BallHog1 on January 04, 2017, 02:41:34 pm
It sure is!  Had he been coaching anywhere else, he would have gotten reprimanded, but not fired.

KennyForAD

Quote from: jabberjawls on January 04, 2017, 02:49:34 pm
It sure is!  Had he been coaching anywhere else, he would have gotten reprimanded, but not fired.

Not sure about that, but it should have been handled in a far more professional manner.

EastexHawg

Quote from: KennyForAD on January 04, 2017, 02:44:06 pm
No.  But Long handled it in a very unprofessional manner, bolstering his own image while kicking his coach when he was down.  Not the kind of guy a coach would want to work for... without an insane buyout.

Let's forget how Long handled that situation for a moment.  My point is...other than that, what is he doing that would be hard to replace?  What facilities did he build that are so amazing that another AD couldn't have built?

I keep hearing that those who aren't Long fans don't understand the duties of an AD.  Okay, for those who supposedly understand so much better than the rest of us, let's hear what Long does that can't be replaced.

BR

Long to Texas, Bret to Minnesota............. Long live crazy A$$ Dreams

jvanhorn

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 04, 2017, 12:23:32 pm
Oklahoma AD?  After the handling of Mixon?  Can't see the Texas white shirts going for this.  Doesn't project the image they like to portray. 

Maybe instead of looking at once isolated incident you might want to look at the overall job he has done for many years.  This is not a career field where you can go without ever making a mistake.  He has the full support of President Boren and the Board on down.  If they have to come up with more money they will before letting him leave for their biggest rival.     He is set for life there, as is Stoops, and as is Boren.

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 04, 2017, 03:13:31 pm
Let's forget how Long handled that situation for a moment.  My point is...other than that, what is he doing that would be hard to replace?  What facilities did he build that are so amazing that another AD couldn't have built?

I keep hearing that those who aren't Long fans don't understand the duties of an AD.  Okay, for those who supposedly understand so much better than the rest of us, let's hear what Long does that can't be replaced.

So you think these AD's get 7 figure salaries because even a housewife can do it? Again, don't you need to be working on the big boosters, administration, and BOT to facilitate all these changes you wish, instead of us peons on HV?

thebignasty

BR

Quote from: ricepig on January 04, 2017, 03:20:55 pm
So you think these AD's get 7 figure salaries because even a housewife can do it? Again, don't you need to be working on the big boosters, administration, and BOT to facilitate all these changes you wish, instead of us peons on HV?
But, but it is June Cleaver

ricepig

Quote from: BR on January 04, 2017, 03:26:56 pm
But, but it is June Cleaver

Ward is always a little hard on the beaver........

Redhogs

Quote from: ricepig on January 04, 2017, 02:35:49 pm
Ah, NO. The two hacks he hired to replace him were much bigger screw ups for him. That would be Smiley and Bert.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

BallHog1

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 04, 2017, 03:13:31 pm

Anyone, anywhere can be replaced. That doesn't justify firing people at random if they are doing their job.

hogcard1964

People need to stop believing people actually want our people.  These two are not hot commodities.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.