Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Claeys fired at Minnesota

Started by ricepig, January 03, 2017, 04:32:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Boarcephus

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 04, 2017, 09:00:50 am
Gonna be like the death penalty for the program:  https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/816425169531047936 

I'm sure those players will be welcomed with open arms at other programs after playing a major role in getting their coach fired.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 04, 2017, 09:00:50 am
Gonna be like the death penalty for the program:  https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/816425169531047936 

figures a bunch of punks would take this stand to back their buddies who are accused of sexual assault, and apparently some pretty heinous stuff as that goes. I hope they all try to leave and find no one will take them then I hope MN does not renew any of their scholarships.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ShadowHawg

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2017, 04:32:58 pm
Supporting boycotting players gets another one. Maybe they want an old Big 10 coach?

https://twitter.com/FootballScoop/status/816409026368040960

They were suspended over the same thing Todd Day and company got suspended for here.

Really poor decision on his part in today's climate concerning sexual assault.

Dwight_K_Shrute

They got Claeys on the cheap this year and his buyout is $500,000.  I doubt they get Fleck unless they pony up $4mil, but I could see him being a coach that gets the players to buy in and stay. 

Les would be another guy that players would love and would help calm the waters their.  No matter what you think of Les as an in game coach, he's personable, has an NC to his name, and another appearance, and is a nationally known name.  Les could actually be in a Richt type situation where he just needed a change of scenery.  Question is does he want to coach again? 

Chip Kelly is the other wild card here, but he is just too weird for this situation.  Need a guy that can relate to players and fans and settle things down.  Chip does not fit that bill.

They are throwing coordinator names out there but is a guy unproven as an HC really what Minnesota needs right now?  I'd say only a coordinator that has past HC experience.  I'm surprised in the few things I've read that I haven't seen Greg Schiano's name mentioned.  He built Rutgers from absolutely nothing.  Would be a decent choice if they do have widespread player defections 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Gonzo

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2017, 04:54:36 pm
You think we'd wave the buyout?

None of this is going to happen of course, but the buyout on that side wouldn't be much of an issue. Part of why it was a bad idea.

Go Hogs!

Gonzo

S.A.D.C

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 04, 2017, 09:06:30 am
I'm sure those players will be welcomed with open arms at other programs after playing a major role in getting their coach fired.

The fast ones will be- sadly. 

RazorChuck

Minnesota would be a perfect fit for Bielema.

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: Gonzo on January 04, 2017, 10:15:18 am

I'm sure he has already voiced his denial of any interest :)

Go Hogs!

Well, he had to beat Minnesota to the punch.

The_Iceman

I understand the players frustrations with the Title IX process. Just look at the kid from Kansas who was falsely accused by some wackjob and was suspended until video was released. If video wouldn't have been available for the Kansas student, he would have been suspended indefinitely. Not really a fair process.

But with the evidence available in the Minnesota case, I understand and agree with the stance to suspend them right away. I have a friend who was raped badly in college. It was the first time I had been exposed to all the trauma of the victims, the longterm physical side effects, and the frustration when the victim doesn't want to strongly pursue charges. So I am a strong advocate for not letting these sickos get away with it.

But as an attorney, I can see a players perspective of being guilty until proven innocent.

cityhog

Quote from: Destin2bAhog on January 03, 2017, 05:31:17 pm
You mean sided with the players  kind of like our weak WBB coach sided with his players. 

I can't remember, do we hate our coaches that stand up for their players (Dykes?) or coaches that throw their players under the bus (Nutt?) Or do we just hate all our coaches? It's hard to keep up. O

The_Iceman

Quote from: cityhog on January 04, 2017, 11:49:27 am
I can't remember, do we hate our coaches that stand up for their players (Dykes?) or coaches that throw their players under the bus (Nutt?) Or do we just hate all our coaches? It's hard to keep up. O

Being reasonable and level headed never got anyone popular on social media. So they go to the extremes.

hogsanity

The problem with the MN coach is he was in a untenable position. Had he simply come out and said " The players deserve the right of innocent until proven guilty " ( or something similar ) and he MIGHT have survived.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Destin2bAhog

You never stand up for the players when they are wrong like Dykes and JL did by being PC. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Augustus on January 04, 2017, 07:04:44 am
Right, the buyout isn't an issue.  It's could Minnesota pony up to lure Bret & Family away from $4Mil/year and 10+ Mil if we fire him.

Minnesota was paying Claeys $1.4 Mil, and there's no way Bret would leave for that (nor would Jen let him).

If Minnesota offered Bret $4 Million, that's more than that would be the 5th highest salary in the B1G (higher than Nebraska).  I don't see Minnesota having the bankroll.

It isn't worth that kind of money to live in Minnesota in the winter!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawghiggs

Think we could get Claeys as the new DC?