Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Musburger needs to go

Started by Qui Gon Jinn, January 02, 2017, 08:47:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Qui Gon Jinn

Musburger on Joe Mixon tonight:

Started by discussing Mixon's beat down of a girl and his 2014 suspension.

"We've talked to the OK staff and he's (Mixon) doing fine."

I'm sure he is.  He's not the one that got clocked and ended up with a broken face.  Musburger is out of touch.
The expert in anything was once a beginner.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Qui Gon Jinn on January 02, 2017, 08:47:59 pm

I'm sure he is.  He's not the one that got clocked and ended up with a broken face.  Musburger is out of touch.

The BS was 2014 was a RS season.  Suspension was bull darn. Wasn't a suspension.  ESPN crew let them off of course by calling it a suspension. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

NaturalStateReb

100% agreed. His comments on Mixon were completely cringe-inducing.

He's utterly tone-deaf on that kind of thing. Someone probably vomited in the control booth.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

rhames

It was very very strange.

I mean it was set up since espn had a graphic.

Weird
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Hogs958

I agree, but I am sure the higher ups at ESPN told him to make a positive spin on it.

Porked Tongue

Agreed.

I mean they acted as if Mixon was suicidal.

If drafted, I hope that girl is waiting to sue.

Sir Oinksalot

He dropped her like a sack of corn.....then "the whole team has been so supportive"
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

rhames

Quote from: Porked Tongue on January 02, 2017, 08:51:31 pm
Agreed.

I mean they acted as if Mixon was suicidal.

If drafted, I hope that girl is waiting to sue.

She is now I believe
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Qui Gon Jinn

Quote from: Hogs958 on January 02, 2017, 08:51:15 pm
I agree, but I am sure the higher ups at ESPN told him to make a positive spin on it.

I'm sure they did, but there is now ay to make that positive.

Atlhogfan1

Stoops deserves to be rolled up on tearing both ACLs and Achilles. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ricepig

Brent's giving 3/1 odds that she sues.

Hogs958

Quote from: Qui Gon Jinn on January 02, 2017, 08:53:35 pm
I'm sure they did, but there is now ay to make that positive.

not at all. Basically brushed it under the rug. Hopefully they face some backlash for it.

Qui Gon Jinn

Quote from: Hogs958 on January 02, 2017, 08:55:46 pm
not at all. Basically brushed it under the rug. Hopefully they face some backlash for it.

I can't imagine in today's world, it will just skate by.  Someone will pick it up.  Seems to consistently make awkward comments this time of year.

Atlhogfan1

https://mobile.twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/793642927658459136?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Hogs958

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 02, 2017, 09:00:07 pm
https://mobile.twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/793642927658459136?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

seems legit

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hogs958 on January 02, 2017, 09:04:22 pm
seems legit

The tweets below it interesting. At the time OU was still hoping video wouldn't come out. 

SquidBilly

I agree with him in hoping Mixon has changed and can be a productive member of society, however participation in sports especially at the highest level where men get paid millions is a privilege.  When you commit a heinous act, society has every right to take away access to privileges and should do so to maintain order and civility.  Actions have consequences, and when we fail to enforce that we invite chaos.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Bret Squealema on January 02, 2017, 09:12:23 pm
I agree with him in hoping Mixon has changed and can be a productive member of society, however participation in sports especially at the highest level where men get paid millions is a privilege.  When you commit a heinous act, society has every right to take away access to privileges and should do so to maintain order and civility.  Actions have consequences, and when we fail to enforce that we invite chaos.

My deal is, why even comment on it?  Better to just leave it alone during play-by-play.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Porked Tongue

Maybe every time they say "Mixon" it's some kind of drinking game.

Qui Gon Jinn

Quote from: Bret Squealema on January 02, 2017, 09:12:23 pm

I would not have any issue with him wishing him well.....if he hadn't started out telling us "he is fine".  He acted like Mixon was on suicide watch. 

I do agree that; Every time this kind of thing goes unchecked, it makes the next one inevitable.  At some point you have to hold people accountable.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 02, 2017, 09:14:28 pm
My deal is, why even comment on it?  Better to just leave it alone during play-by-play.

Such a huge elephant I am guessing they thought ignoring it would bring criticism.

Mixon TD and celebration.  Guessing that will enrage more towards Stoops and OU.

SquidBilly

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 02, 2017, 09:14:28 pm

Because it is sort of the elephant in the room.  If Mixon makes a big play and Musberger and Palmer praise him for it then there will be some, if not most, that roast them for it because they don't believe he should even be playing.  So they should have addressed it, condemned the act, and moved on with the play by play.  Musberger did ESPN no favors by glossing over it the way he did and hoping he was able to have a NFL career.

Porked Tongue

"Well, I tell you, you quarterbacks, you get all the good-looking women! What a beautiful woman!," marveled Musburger about AJ McCarrons girlfriend.

SquidBilly

Quote from: Porked Tongue on January 02, 2017, 09:23:17 pm
"Well, I tell you, you quarterbacks, you get all the good-looking women! What a beautiful woman!," marveled Musburger about AJ McCarrons girlfriend.

Well he wasn't wrong.  Creepy, yes, wrong, no.

Qui Gon Jinn

Maybe they can pair up Musburger with Ed Cunningham.  That would make for a miserable experience.

Hogs958

I wish Katherine Webb was at the game. At least that was complimentary. A little creepy, but complimentary.

ricepig

Quote from: Qui Gon Jinn on January 02, 2017, 09:24:58 pm
Maybe they can pair up Musburger with Ed Cunningham.  That would make for a miserable experience.

I rather listen to Beth

On mute

kodiakisland

What bugged me most was he said he hoped he makes the most of his second chance and goes on to have a career in the NFL.  I thought he was going to say something about going on to something positive in others lives or some such nonsense.  At least he said the truth.  All that matters is he is a talented football player.  I guess the prosecutor felt the same.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

longpig

Young woman  was drunk when it happened early afternoon, a  flunkie with outstanding warrants for not appearing in court for alcohol and drug related citations and said who knows what to him and slapped him.  And you don't know where he comes from, he may have grown up seeing male family hit female family all the time.  Let the young  man have a life and prove himself.  That punch may have changed her life for the better, might thank him publicly in the future.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Hogs958

Quote from: longpig on January 02, 2017, 09:37:31 pm
Young woman  was drunk when it happened early afternoon, a  flunkie with outstanding warrants for not appearing in court and said who knows what to him and slapped him.  And you don't know where he comes from, he may have grown up seeing male family hit female family all the time.  Let the young  man have a life and prove himself.

She was a flunkie with outstanding warrants? Where did you read this?

Mo_Better_Hogs

That almost made my stomach turn. I actually had to rewind it to hear it again. Sheesh. Remind of the classic Musburger call several years ago— "He was DENIED the Heisman..." (Sorry to say I can't remember who the criminal was that Brent was talking about.)

Atlhogfan1

Young woman  was drunk when it happened early afternoon, a  flunkie with outstanding warrants for not appearing in court and said who knows what to him and slapped him.  And you don't know where he comes from, he may have grown up seeing male family hit female family all the time.  Let the young  man have a life and prove himself.

Holy hell.  He has proven himself. 

kodiakisland

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 02, 2017, 09:40:49 pm
Holy hell.  He has proven himself. 

No kidding.  I guess depending on one's background though, they may be more inclined to dismiss his behavior.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Qui Gon Jinn

I never said he shouldn't have a life.  I even told my wife she shouldn't have hit him and when you do it sometimes goes bad.  But you cannot excuse his actions and essentially say "she asked for it" in today's society.  It doesn't work that way.  He had a chance to prove himself.  Nothing between him and the door except his ego. 

kodiakisland

Quote from: Qui Gon Jinn on January 02, 2017, 09:43:52 pm
I never said he shouldn't have a life.  I even told my wife she shouldn't have hit him and when you do it sometimes goes bad.  But you cannot excuse his actions and essentially say "she asked for it" in today's society.  It doesn't work that way.  He had a chance to prove himself.  Nothing between him and the door except his ego. 

He walked in there specifically to confront her.  Whatever may have happened earlier outside, he instigated that altercation.

longpig

Quote from: Hogs958 on January 02, 2017, 09:38:56 pm
She was a flunkie with outstanding warrants? Where did you read this?

Norman local news.

Hog Solo

Young woman  was drunk when it happened early afternoon, a  flunkie with outstanding warrants for not appearing in court for alcohol and drug related citations and said who knows what to him and slapped him.  And you don't know where he comes from, he may have grown up seeing male family hit female family all the time.  Let the young  man have a life and prove himself.  That punch may have changed her life for the better, might thank him publicly in the future.

Seriously?  This should be ban worthy.  Don't care what happened in the parking lot, no guy should hit a girl period.  But from the video he should've been kicked off the team. Her jaw had to be wired shut from that, she was defenseless.  What else do you need to go on?

Qui Gon Jinn

Quote from: kodiakisland on January 02, 2017, 09:46:07 pm
He walked in there specifically to confront her.  Whatever may have happened earlier outside, he instigated that altercation.

I didn't know that part.  Even worse for him and more proof of his character.  Thanks for posting.

Porked Tongue

Thank goodness. I was afraid he didn't have an apologist for the inexcusable act.

longpig

Quote from: kodiakisland on January 02, 2017, 09:46:07 pm

No he didn't.  In an online video that isn't available now,  he walked in, ordered, and then was called over by her. 

hog.goblin

Quote from: Porked Tongue on January 02, 2017, 09:23:17 pm

Wow Dan, did you come up with that all by yourself?

David†

Quote from: longpig on January 02, 2017, 09:51:36 pm
No he didn't.  In an online video that isn't available now,  he walked in, ordered, and then was called over by her. 

I didn't know that. Glad he didn't knock her ass out or anything

Hogs958

Man there is no excuse for what he did or for a broadcaster on national TV to spin it like he did.

He punched a petite female in the face and broke her jaw. That's it. No excuse.

David†

I hope he didn't injure his hand. Wouldn't want him to fumble 

Porked Tongue

Wonder how he'd do with Amanda Nunes?

longpig

Quote from: Porked Tongue on January 02, 2017, 09:47:59 pm
Thank goodness. I was afraid he didn't have an apologist for the inexcusable act.

What did you grow up seeing your daddy do when your mamma insulted him then slapped the piss out of him? 

Qui Gon Jinn

Hogs958

Quote from: longpig on January 02, 2017, 09:56:05 pm
What did you grow up seeing your daddy do when your mamma insulted him then slapped the piss out of him? 

Hopefully protected his mamma. Not look at it, and repeat it 10 years later.

Hog Solo

So the grown man didn't full on punch her?  Ok, bruh.  Answer that please. Again when is it ever ok to do that?  Answer is never unless your life is truly threatened.