Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gopher Football Players threaten to boycott the Holiday Bowl (Next Up?)

Started by jbcarol, December 15, 2016, 06:40:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/809555798850490368

QuoteSuspensions reportedly are related to an investigation into an alleged sexual assault of a female student at an off-campus apartment on Sept. 2.

Citing two parents of players, the Star-Tribune reported players plan to announce their intent to boycott the bowl game later Thursday night if "their demands are not met."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

GolfNut57

Hopefully the school  admins stand their ground. The players are only hurting themselves with this selfish and spoiled behavior. If they were to get away with it and get the suspensions of the players lifted you can bet they will try it again down the road every time one of their teammates gets in the doghouse.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

a0ashle

I better seen a ton of people on here calling for their scholarships to be pulled.

hogcard1964

Cut them, and remove all their scholarships.  In the meantime, they need to invite another team to the bowl as a fill in.

HamSammich

I actually agree ..... when all these millennial players realize sexual assault is real and wrong I'll be a dead man probably. Burn that program to the ground

Boarcephus

Quote from: hogcard1964 on December 15, 2016, 06:59:44 pm
Cut them, and remove all their scholarships.  In the meantime, they need to invite another team to the bowl as a fill in.

Yep. You could issue the players an ultimatum, either play or forfeit their scholarships.  Fans are tired of this behavior.  Cost Pinkle his job at Mizzou last year.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

thefisher

Their coach may want to go back and read how Holtz handled this situation while at Arkansas.  Turned out pretty well for the Hogs that year!
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Bubba's Bruisers

So no charges brought on the accused?  Regardless, I'm good with UM yanking some scholies.  I doubt they do, though.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 15, 2016, 07:05:02 pm
Yep.  Replace them by tomorrow and on down the road.  I'd cut every player and start from scratch and I'd bet the fans would understand.

It would destroy the program.  I doubt the fans would support it.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 15, 2016, 07:10:53 pm

Thought about it and changed my post.  Would the fans not support it?  I'm not so sure.  I do know you can't let the players hold the program hostage.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

LZH

Cut their scholarships and see how many of their parents crawl their ass and tell them to get back in school and act like grown ass men.

Torqued pork

A criminal investigation produced no charges and arrests. Other than being accused what did they actually do?

hogcard1964

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 15, 2016, 07:10:53 pm

No it wouldn't.  It would take a few years to rebuild, but would eventually bounce back.

EastexHawg

They have been taught by the rest of society that whining, protesting, and boycotting is how to get your way.

LZH

Quote from: Torqued pork on December 15, 2016, 07:16:22 pm
A criminal investigation produced no charges and arrests. Other than being accused what did they actually do?

If they got caught smoking weed there wouldn't be any charges either. But they still would face some sort of penalty for the bowl game. I understand sticking up for your teammates, but that is complete bull****.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 15, 2016, 07:13:41 pm
Thought about it and changed my post.  Would the fans not support it?  I'm not so sure.  I do know you can't let the players hold the program hostage.

If the entire team is boycotting, then that's a significant amount of leverage.  The university would likely be willing to negotiate to avoid burning down the entire program.  For starters, They might make examples out of a few of them to make a point.  But I agree, yanking all scholies would be appropriate For principle.  Of course, multi million $ organizations aren't typically that principled.

Anyone on Hogville actually know any truthful details about the charges.  I don't.  Somehow, I doubt 80 or 90 grown Kids who would like to go bowling would put themselves on the line for a few scums if they believed they were scums.  So, were they scums?

longpig

Anyone worth a piss would do the same thing in these boys shoes,  assuming their teammates are innocent of any wrongdoing.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hogcard1964 on December 15, 2016, 07:16:50 pm
No it wouldn't.  It would take a few years to rebuild, but would eventually bounce back.

No way.  It would take years to rebuild a FB program from nothing.  By rebuild, I mean to a point they're very competitive like they're are now.  UM actually finally appears to be a quality program now. 

LZH

A lot of times what is right is completely different than what is best. I am curious to see if the chancellor has any real balls.

lakecityhog

You cannot kill the patient to try to save his leg. This has to stop and I understand that, but you can't burn down the program in 1 knee jerk move.

I would call the kids in as a group and tell them that they have 10 minutes to discuss this amongst themselves and after that the University will ask out of the Bowl.

If they wished to continue with the boycott I would then dismiss every senior on the team and kick them out of school. I would then tell the underclassmen that weight training starts on this date and ANYONE not there immediately losses their scholarship. Let them decide just how much it means to them.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: 12247 on December 15, 2016, 07:22:34 pm
Anyone on Hogville actually know any truthful details about the charges.  I don't.  Somehow, I doubt 80 or 90 grown Kids who would like to go bowling would put themselves on the line for a few scums if they believed they were scums.  So, were they scums?

Doesn't matter.  They are basically under contract.  They're violating their contracts.

Torqued pork

Quote from: LZH on December 15, 2016, 07:19:45 pm
If they got caught smoking weed there wouldn't be any charges either. But they still would face some sort of penalty for the bowl game. I understand sticking up for your teammates, but that is complete bull****.
I wasn't trying to justify a boycott, but there wasn't many specifics about the case in the article.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 15, 2016, 07:27:28 pm
You cannot kill the patient to try to save his leg. This has to stop and I understand that, but you can't burn down the program in 1 knee jerk move.

I would call the kids in as a group and tell them that they have 10 minutes to discuss this amongst themselves and after that the University will ask out of the Bowl.

If they wished to continue with the boycott I would then dismiss every senior on the team and kick them out of school. I would then tell the underclassmen that weight training starts on this date and ANYONE not there immediately losses their scholarship. Let them decide just how much it means to them.

Yep, except the kick them out of school part.  Just stop paying for it via loss of scholie.  As someone previously posted, there are going to be a whole lot of ticked off mommies and daddies if this actually goes anywhere.  Probably already are.

lakecityhog

Look, you put yourself in a bad position and then expect me to lose what I have worked for my whole life to try to save your behind?? If you know that there is a party and things will probably happen at that party that could cost you your scholarship and you still go, that, my friend is on YOU!

I would think that after the Baylor debacle MOST schools will be super sensitive to this kind of crap. You would also think that the players would think about that MAYBE just a little before putting themselves in that position???

LZH

Quote from: Torqued pork on December 15, 2016, 07:28:27 pm
I wasn't trying to justify a boycott, but there wasn't many specifics about the case in the article.

I understand. Was just making the point that smoking some reefer and sexually assaulting a young girl are worlds apart.

lakecityhog

This type of action is becoming the norm in America--- you don't like the way something happened??? Protest--- become violent--- act like you are owed something.

Bubba's Bruisers

I'm totally good with them boycotting.  It's what makes this country great.  And I'm good with the university voiding their scholies as a result.

God bless America!!

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 15, 2016, 07:31:02 pm
Yep, except the kick them out of school part.  Just stop paying for it via loss of scholie.  As someone previously posted, there are going to be a whole lot of ticked off mommies and daddies if this actually goes anywhere.  Probably already are.

I wonder if there are any Grad transfer OT's or NG's, just asking for a friend......

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2016, 07:43:21 pm
I wonder if there are any Grad transfer OT's or NG's, just asking for a friend......

We'll take them any way we can get them.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 15, 2016, 07:45:38 pm
We'll take them any way we can get them.

Not sure Bielema would be interested in a player would voted to boycott a bowl.  He wants uncommon, not stupid and spoiled.

LZH

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 15, 2016, 07:40:27 pm
I'm totally good with them boycotting.  It's what makes this country great.  And I'm good with the university voiding their scholies as a result.

God bless America!!

Not going to get into the specifics, but my junior year some kids were going to boycott a game. Coach told them if you walk out of this pep rally, you're out. You do not leave your teammates and you do not walk out on your program.

They did not finish the season.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 15, 2016, 07:47:35 pm
Not sure Bielema would be interested in a player would voted to boycott a bowl.  He wants uncommon, not stupid and spoiled.

We were being quite facetious.  But Yeah, he doesn't want stupid and spoiled, but the uncommon stuff is just overplayed.  Fans love the lip service. 

And maybe some of these boys are uncommon.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: LZH on December 15, 2016, 07:48:40 pm
Not going to get into the specifics, but my junior year some kids were going to boycott a game. Coach told them if you walk out of this pep rally, you're out. You do not leave your teammates and you do not walk out on your program.

They did not finish the season.

Good for the school.  Reminds me of Reagan and some air traffic controllers.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 15, 2016, 07:52:00 pm
We were being quite facetious.  But Yeah, he doesn't want stupid and spoiled, but the uncommon stuff is just overplayed.  Fans love the lip service. 

And maybe some of these boys are uncommon.

Knew you were.  ;)   Pinkle has similar deal at Mizzou and it cost him his job.  Can't cave in to the players.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 15, 2016, 07:54:15 pm
Knew you were.  ;)   Pinkle has similar deal at Mizzou and it cost him his job.  Can't cave in to the players.

I think Pinkle was a short timer anyway.  Weren't his health problems catching up to him?  Seems like there were a lot of retirement rumors going around.  I think he didn't give a real crap.  I think 5 years ago, he would have responded differently. 

LZH

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 15, 2016, 07:53:26 pm
Good for the school.  Reminds me of Reagan and some air traffic controllers.

Well, they probably had a reason to be pissed... but a bunch of Mother's got involved and that's when things got sideways. I'm not really sure most of the players really even cared about the reasons for the whole thing.

BigoBoys

Just changed my confidence level in the Yahoo Bowl Fantasy Challenge

Boarcephus

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 15, 2016, 07:57:12 pm
I think Pinkle was a short timer anyway.  Weren't his health problems catching up to him?  Seems like there were a lot of retirement rumors going around.  I think he didn't give a real crap.  I think 5 years ago, he would have responded differently. 

He wasn't ready to leave when he did.  My brother is in pretty tight with some big $$$ Mizzou boosters and when he caved in, they forced the AD to terminate him or they'd pull their financial support.   

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 15, 2016, 07:17:11 pm
They have been taught by the rest of society that whining, protesting, and boycotting is how to get your way.

Spot on.  Give them a coloring book and a teddy bear and they'll be just fine.

ricepig

Quote from: BigoBoys on December 15, 2016, 07:57:47 pm
Just changed my confidence level in the Yahoo Bowl Fantasy Challenge

Don't worry, I've got your account info, I'll change it back.

Boarcephus

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on December 15, 2016, 08:20:45 pm
So a bunch of rich boosters threatened to pull their financial support if their all-time winningest coach, who was battling non Hodgkins lymphoma, didn't get fired for caving into some players protesting their displeasure with how certain incidents were handled?  That's deep. 

I understand where you're coming from and part of me agrees with you but not everyone is on board will all this BLM BS, players making demands on their coaches, etc .  You saw the pushback the Ladybacks got when they pulled their taking a knee and I would have loved to have heard what was really said to Dykes.

pigture perfect

Protest like this seldom ever work. It just polarizes the differing sides. If the school decides to revoke schollies, it would be the self-imposed death penalty, but a presedent needs to be set.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

NuttinItUp

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18288753/minnesota-golden-gophers-players-boycotting-football-activities-suspensions-10-teammates

My understanding of the situation:

School suspended 10 players for alleged sexual assault even though they are not being prosecuted or anything. The team members asked for clarification and were given no information. So, the players are boycotting all football operations until provided with sufficient info or players are reinstated.

I can see both sides of the argument. The school doesn't want to release info that may be damaging to the alleged victim(s), but it is hard to suspend students that are not formally charged with anything criminally or otherwise. It is like there are people behind closed doors making the decision and not telling anyone why.

ArkansasI

Coaches suspend players all the time. There are all kinds of decisions we make that have consequences - even if criminal charges are not pursued. The suspended players undoubtedly know why they were suspended. They should speak to their teammates.

The fact that the team is rallying behind their teammates is a nice display of solidarity, but it is also very immature. Coaches don't suspend players without knowledge of... something.

Whose in charge in Minneapolis?

NuttinItUp

Quote from: ArkansasI on December 15, 2016, 11:18:33 pm
The fact that the team is rallying behind their teammates is a nice display of solidarity, but it is also very immature. Coaches don't suspend players without knowledge of... something.

The coaches didn't suspend the players. The school did. (The University of Minnesota)

KlubhouseKonnected

Tough spot. This is an area that is becoming guilty until proven innocent, however it's hard not to say that is a bit of the pendulum swinging (especially where big time college athletics is concerned).  I think the protesting players are being a little wrong headed though. This is not going to end well for anyone I think.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

jgphillips3

I have a problem with the university suspending kids before charges are filed unless there is extremely compelling evidence, video or otherwise that allows them to make that determination.  However, the players need to recognize that, IF these other players assaulted someone, they don't need to be boycotting for them.  It's a complicated and nuanced situation.