Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hokie fan here

Started by lizardkingvpi, December 12, 2016, 07:01:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lizardkingvpi

Quote from: TeufelHog on December 12, 2016, 10:30:06 pm
Hog football is the definition of INCONSISTENCY this year.  Especially on the defensive side of the ball.  Depending on which Razorback team decides to get off the bus in Charlotte, your Hokies could easily win this game or get their "heads handed to them."  After the Mizzou loss, let's just say our coaching staff and football team have a lot to accomplish/prove in this bowl game to regain some respect for themselves and from the fan-base.

That's the beauty about bowl games.  You get to basically reboot the team.  I won't be surprised to see either outcome honestly.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: whosiskid on December 12, 2016, 08:53:27 pm
Absolutely no disrespect at all intended (and btw,welcome!), but what is a hokie? I just realize it is one of those words I hear but don't know how to interpret. Like a Tarhill. I think that has something to do with tree sap but how? Building ships? Anyway, should be fun seeing the two teams. I love it when we play someone we've never played  before, with the lone exception of Arkansas State. My brother teaches at ASU and he is a Razorback fan as well. No interest in seeing us go against ASU. But VT should be great. Because of proximity, will the Hokies be wearing dark jerseys? I assume Bielema will have something slick for the bowl game. If we are the visiting team maybe we'll wear silverish or at least white Razorback on white helmet.

I'm looking forward to the game. We do have problems on defense but I like our chances if the line can create a pocket for more than a couple of seconds. After having a great line for a couple of seasons it was really tough watching some of the games this year, especially after Froholdt went down. He was surprisingly consistent early on especially on the run, but we don't have enough linemen to see a starter go down. I assume he OK now? Its going to be interesting to watch the line in the spring.
Nope Bielema has reserved those slick chrome red helmets for bowl play
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

al_pigcino

One of our navigators here is a Hokie.  I can't wait to mess with him. 

nchogg

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on December 12, 2016, 08:13:48 pm
They have that vinegar based B-B-Q there so be aware of that.
I lived in NC for 14 years and their BBQ is nothing like Arkansas BBQ. I just could not acquire a taste for NC BBQ.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: lizardkingvpi on December 12, 2016, 11:02:28 pm
That's the beauty about bowl games.  You get to basically reboot the team.  I won't be surprised to see either outcome honestly.

It is if you win, otherwise it feels like you lost to a team different than the one scheduled.

I'm hoping that both teams come out as better versions of their normal selves and the players and coaches decide the game instead of one team or the other conjuring the ghosts of the 1977 Cowboys.......And no injuries.

I'll add that I do of course want the Hogs to win.

My best guess:
Hogs - 27
Bad Guys/Hokies - 41

The game is not out of hand until 10:00 left in the fourth.

Oh, and welcome to the board and the Hogs.
Hopefully the buffoons will stay away, and we'll all be able to enjoy each other's company.
I love other teams fans stopping by. It gives fresh, honest input to our team rather than the Sunshine Pumpers vs the Chicken Little's.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

hobhog

I'll try to give you a different perspective than the negative posters in here. We have ardent and loyal fans but lots were hurt by the shocking loss to Mizzouri last game and havnt gotten over it. That and the Auburn games were inexplicable, but other than that this season went pretty much as expected. We started a new QB, replaced a great RB and lost the majority of our oline.  The defense was supposed to be our strength but we lost our best LB to injury and some DBs and never recovered. Team played well sometimes, others not so much.

Our offense can score if clicking. Austin Allen at QB has been a bright spot and pleasant surprise, but got rocked in Auburn game and hasn't been quite the same. But he has a great set of receivers, Drew Morgan his favorite, and we can throw it if he has time. Online has run blocked well but not protected well. They are young and mistake prone.

I think we will take this game seriously and give you a good test. We have played a brutal schedule and will not be intimidated. If we can move the ball early, maybe get an early lead I expect a close game. A win here would silence the whiners and get our momentum back for offseason. I think it's a big game for the program and am looking forward to it.

You have a good coach and it would be a good win for us. Best of luck NEXT year.

WPS.

Hey Hokie Fan, Welcome aboard.  Been reading this thread and seems we've already summed up the general feelings from the typical Hog fan.  When we've had extra time to prepare, we have been better and this timeframe allows extra time.  It is pretty simple.  If both teams play near their best, you win.  If you Guys don't take us serious, we win.  Just about any other situation that is likely to happen, you win.  You folks could be kind and suspend a few starters, have a few get sick just before game time and find a way to keep your crowd out of the stadium.  You know, sort of even things out a bit. 

hobhog

Be interested to hear what Hokie fans think their record would have been if played our schedule.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Welcome to the board. Hokies 35 hogs 14.
Let's make some waves.

Swine Time

Quote from: Hollywood870 on December 12, 2016, 08:58:50 pm
Isn't Craig's in Devall's Bluff vinegar based, and freakin delicious?

I do believe you're right...............  Craig's is awesome!!!!!! Everything I've tried from there is impressive..... Even coleslaw on there burgers
There's only one thing worse than a LSU fan and that's a Texas fan

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Swine Time on December 13, 2016, 08:13:04 am
I do believe you're right...............  Craig's is awesome!!!!!! Everything I've tried from there is impressive..... Even coleslaw on there burgers

Point of interest with your sig line......At least Texas players and fans didn't make fun of one of our players who recently died.

Can't say that on behalf of LSU.
Dirtiest fans and cheapest players around.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Biggus Piggus

Virginia Tech's rushing game is similar, or inferior, to those of previous Arkansas opponents such as Ole Miss and Florida. Unlike those teams, Virginia Tech is committed to the run. Unlike Florida, the Hokies have a QB who can run.

Like those teams, the Hokies rely on running backs who were unable to approach 5 yards per carry. The run-pass QB Jerod Evans (6-3, 238 jr from Dallas) got almost 6 ypc excluding sacks and was the team's leading ballcarrier. He averaged 12 rushes per game (ex-sacks), making him a more eager runner than, say, Ole Miss's QBs.

Evans never topped 100 rushing yards in a game. His best games were against East Carolina, Miami, Duke and Georgia Tech. Evans scored 10 rushing touchdowns + you know he'll add to that number against Arkansas. The Razorbacks have been clueless against running QBs for many years.

Virginia Tech exceeded 200 yards rushing against Liberty (FBS), Boston College, Miami, Duke and Virginia. BC finished the season in the top 10 for rushing defense, but its pass defense was bad (so opponents didn't bother running). Miami was OK. The others were weak.

Travon McMillian (6-0, 205 so, in-state product) led the Hokies' running backs with 637 yards. He topped 100 yards against Tennessee and Miami. Otherwise, usually did not get enough attempts. Averaged 4.7 ypc even with a long rush of 69. That one carry inflated his season average by 0.5 ypc!

FB Sam Rogers (5-11, 230 sr) got sporadic carries through the season, then jumped up with 105 yards against Virginia in game 12.

QB performances are going to be the major factor in this football game. That is my guess.

Virginia Tech gave up three or more sacks against Tennessee, Miami, Pitt, Duke, Georgia Tech (five) and Clemson (four). Their pass protection worsened as the season unfolded.

The Hokies had sporadic turnover problems:

* Four lost fumbles against Liberty.
* Five lost fumbles against Tennessee.
* Two lost fumbles against North Carolina.
* Two lost fumbles and two interceptions against Georgia Tech.
* A lost fumble and an interception against Notre Dame.
* Two lost fumbles against Virginia.
* Two interceptions against Clemson.

Virginia Tech had three overwhelming favorites in the receiver pecking order:

* Isaiah Ford (6-2, 195 jr from Jacksonville, Fla.), 73-1,038 and seven TDs.
* Cam Phillips (6-0, 199 jr from DeMatha High in Maryland), 70-868 and five TDs.
* Bucky Hodges (6-7, 245 jr from Virginia Beach), 43-640 and seven TDs.

Ford was recruited by Arkansas and dozens of other schools. Anybody who can average 14 ypc on 73 catches is dangerous.

Evans did spread around the football a bit, including 22 passes to the fullback and 10 to the tailback. Overall, it's a big-play passing game with good accuracy. Evans had 27 touchdowns vs. seven interceptions. I've heard Hokie fans complain about how often Evans gave up on the pass and scrambled, but he did take 28 sacks.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

The tale for Arkansas, as short as I can make it:

* Offense took some time to get to speed, with new starting QB, RB, TE and three OL. Veteran WRs and TE Jeremy Sprinkle were the strength.
* Defense returned a lot of starters but got worse through the season, by far weakest against the run. Statistically, it became an astonishingly bad outlier season for run D, worst in FBS.
* Defense lost two primary DBs in August and a starting LB in week six (Alabama). Star DE Deatrich Wise was never fully healthy. The safeties were not good with no one to push them.
* Pivotal game = Texas A&M, gave up two long QB TD runs, had multiple red zone failures on offense, close game turned into fourth-quarter rout.
* QB Austin Allen was very good until he took too many hits due to poor pass protection.
* Eighth consecutive game was at Auburn, 56-3 collapse, Allen was injured.
* After off week, Hogs dominated offense-poor Florida at Fayetteville, then laid down against LSU. During the break, Arkansas promoted a walk-on to starter on the OL.
* Offense was outstanding at Mississippi State, scoring 58 and never punting.
* RB Rawleigh Williams III got better and better, finishing season with 1,326 yards, 5.7 ypc, 12 TDs.
* Arkansas led 24-7 at half against Missouri, but the offense blundered through a scoreless second half, and the usually-inept Tigers rallied to win.
* That failure to finish left many Razorback fans in an outrage. It was the first time under Bielema that the Razorbacks had lost to a bad opponent.
* Allen finished with 3,152 passing yards, 23 TD / 12 INT, but the second half of his season (59% completion, 8 TD / 7 INT) was not as good as the first half (64%, 15 TD / 5 INT).

The bowl game is a chance for the Razorbacks - players and coaches alike - to redeem themselves after the awful Missouri performance. Under Bielema, this team has been good when it has had time to prepare. We all wonder how good the Razorbacks will be, because this team has been all over the lot.
[CENSORED]!

alohawg

Quote from: lizardkingvpi on December 12, 2016, 09:12:45 pm
Hokie is actually a nonsense word a student wrote for a cheer way back in the day.  Eventually the team nickname became the Hokies.  The live turkey mascot was added some years later and eventually the Hokiebird mascot which is kinda turkeyish.  At one point we were actually the fighting gobblers.  Pretty interesting that we sell turkey legs at Lane Stadium.  We're so hardcore we eat our own mascot.
Quote from: PonderinHog on December 12, 2016, 09:18:11 pm
So do we.

For some reason Turkey bacon sammich comes to mind.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

sowmonella

Great post Biggus. :razorback:
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Redhogs

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on December 13, 2016, 07:41:28 am
It is if you win, otherwise it feels like you lost to a team different than the one scheduled.

I'm hoping that both teams come out as better versions of their normal selves and the players and coaches decide the game instead of one team or the other conjuring the ghosts of the 1977 Cowboys.......And no injuries.

I'll add that I do of course want the Hogs to win.

My best guess:
Hogs - 27
Bad Guys/Hokies - 41

The game is not out of hand until 10:00 left in the fourth.

Oh, and welcome to the board and the Hogs.
Hopefully the buffoons will stay away, and we'll all be able to enjoy each other's company.
I love other teams fans stopping by. It gives fresh, honest input to our team rather than the Sunshine Pumpers vs the Chicken Little's.
Sounds like A&M part 2. Hope you are wrong.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

KennyForAD

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 13, 2016, 10:36:27 am
The tale for Arkansas, as short as I can make it:

* Offense took some time to get to speed, with new starting QB, RB, TE and three OL. Veteran WRs and TE Jeremy Sprinkle were the strength.
* Defense returned a lot of starters but got worse through the season, by far weakest against the run. Statistically, it became an astonishingly bad outlier season for run D, worst in FBS.
* Defense lost two primary DBs in August and a starting LB in week six (Alabama). Star DE Deatrich Wise was never fully healthy. The safeties were not good with no one to push them.
* Pivotal game = Texas A&M, gave up two long QB TD runs, had multiple red zone failures on offense, close game turned into fourth-quarter rout.
* QB Austin Allen was very good until he took too many hits due to poor pass protection.
* Eighth consecutive game was at Auburn, 56-3 collapse, Allen was injured.
* After off week, Hogs dominated offense-poor Florida at Fayetteville, then laid down against LSU. During the break, Arkansas promoted a walk-on to starter on the OL.
* Offense was outstanding at Mississippi State, scoring 58 and never punting.
* RB Rawleigh Williams III got better and better, finishing season with 1,326 yards, 5.7 ypc, 12 TDs.
* Arkansas led 24-7 at half against Missouri, but the offense blundered through a scoreless second half, and the usually-inept Tigers rallied to win.
* That failure to finish left many Razorback fans in an outrage. It was the first time under Bielema that the Razorbacks had lost to a bad opponent.
* Allen finished with 3,152 passing yards, 23 TD / 12 INT, but the second half of his season (59% completion, 8 TD / 7 INT) was not as good as the first half (64%, 15 TD / 5 INT).

The bowl game is a chance for the Razorbacks - players and coaches alike - to redeem themselves after the awful Missouri performance. Under Bielema, this team has been good when it has had time to prepare. We all wonder how good the Razorbacks will be, because this team has been all over the lot.

What's a 'bad opponent?'   Mizzou certainly qualifies, but does Toledo?  Texas Tech?   Mizzou is probably the worst team we've lost to, but you make it sound as if its the first time a BB team has underperformed.   It seems to me that he has lost more than his share of games he should have won.

Wisco Pig

If "bad opponent" = "did not qualify for a bowl," then yes, I think Mizzou is the Hogs' first loss to a bad opponent under Bielema.

lizardkingvpi

Quote from: hobhog on December 13, 2016, 08:07:09 am
Be interested to hear what Hokie fans think their record would have been if played our schedule.

Tough to say.  I don't think it's out of the question to take a couple wins off the top.  I think we match up well against Florida and beat Mizzou outright.  Alabama beats us 999 times out of 1000.  I think the conference parity is a lot closer now than it was 6-7 years ago and the ACC is a lot closer to the SEC however we didn't play the big hitters in our own conference with the exception of Clemson.  We did however beat some of the teams that beat them so yay for the transitive property.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: KennyForAD on December 13, 2016, 11:08:43 am
What's a 'bad opponent?'   Mizzou certainly qualifies, but does Toledo?  Texas Tech?   Mizzou is probably the worst team we've lost to, but you make it sound as if its the first time a BB team has underperformed.   It seems to me that he has lost more than his share of games he should have won.

Bad = 3-8 record entering the game, and two of those wins were Eastern Michigan and Delaware State.

Toledo was 10-2 last season. Beat a 10-win Temple team in the Boca Raton Bowl. Not even close to bad.

Texas Tech was 7-6 last season, including a loss to LSU in the Texas Bowl. Bowl teams are not bad opponents.

Why did you even ask this? Just digging for more mud to sling at Bielema?
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

lizardkingvpi

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 13, 2016, 10:08:22 am
Virginia Tech's rushing game is similar, or inferior, to those of previous Arkansas opponents such as Ole Miss and Florida. Unlike those teams, Virginia Tech is committed to the run. Unlike Florida, the Hokies have a QB who can run.

Like those teams, the Hokies rely on running backs who were unable to approach 5 yards per carry. The run-pass QB Jerod Evans (6-3, 238 jr from Dallas) got almost 6 ypc excluding sacks and was the team's leading ballcarrier. He averaged 12 rushes per game (ex-sacks), making him a more eager runner than, say, Ole Miss's QBs.

Evans never topped 100 rushing yards in a game. His best games were against East Carolina, Miami, Duke and Georgia Tech. Evans scored 10 rushing touchdowns + you know he'll add to that number against Arkansas. The Razorbacks have been clueless against running QBs for many years.

Virginia Tech exceeded 200 yards rushing against Liberty (FBS), Boston College, Miami, Duke and Virginia. BC finished the season in the top 10 for rushing defense, but its pass defense was bad (so opponents didn't bother running). Miami was OK. The others were weak.

Travon McMillian (6-0, 205 so, in-state product) led the Hokies' running backs with 637 yards. He topped 100 yards against Tennessee and Miami. Otherwise, usually did not get enough attempts. Averaged 4.7 ypc even with a long rush of 69. That one carry inflated his season average by 0.5 ypc!

FB Sam Rogers (5-11, 230 sr) got sporadic carries through the season, then jumped up with 105 yards against Virginia in game 12.

QB performances are going to be the major factor in this football game. That is my guess.

Virginia Tech gave up three or more sacks against Tennessee, Miami, Pitt, Duke, Georgia Tech (five) and Clemson (four). Their pass protection worsened as the season unfolded.

The Hokies had sporadic turnover problems:

* Four lost fumbles against Liberty.
* Five lost fumbles against Tennessee.
* Two lost fumbles against North Carolina.
* Two lost fumbles and two interceptions against Georgia Tech.
* A lost fumble and an interception against Notre Dame.
* Two lost fumbles against Virginia.
* Two interceptions against Clemson.

Virginia Tech had three overwhelming favorites in the receiver pecking order:

* Isaiah Ford (6-2, 195 jr from Jacksonville, Fla.), 73-1,038 and seven TDs.
* Cam Phillips (6-0, 199 jr from DeMatha High in Maryland), 70-868 and five TDs.
* Bucky Hodges (6-7, 245 jr from Virginia Beach), 43-640 and seven TDs.

Ford was recruited by Arkansas and dozens of other schools. Anybody who can average 14 ypc on 73 catches is dangerous.

Evans did spread around the football a bit, including 22 passes to the fullback and 10 to the tailback. Overall, it's a big-play passing game with good accuracy. Evans had 27 touchdowns vs. seven interceptions. I've heard Hokie fans complain about how often Evans gave up on the pass and scrambled, but he did take 28 sacks.

Spot on analysis.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 13, 2016, 11:19:01 am
Bad = 3-8 record entering the game, and two of those wins were Eastern Michigan and Delaware State.

Toledo was 10-2 last season. Beat a 10-win Temple team in the Boca Raton Bowl. Not even close to bad.

Texas Tech was 7-6 last season, including a loss to LSU in the Texas Bowl. Bowl teams are not bad opponents.

Why did you even ask this? Just digging for more mud to sling at Bielema?

I don't believe I've slung ANY mud at Bielema.   I asked, because when I read it, it stuck out as a really odd thing to say.   We've had shocking losses each of the last three years.  The Mizzou loss was just the first time that one came at the end of the season. 

But I do agree that Mizzou is the worst team we've lost to, maybe since The Citadel. 

SWarkansasman

Simple comment here, "who cares who wins the Belk Bowl?" 

code red

Quote from: lizardkingvpi on December 12, 2016, 07:01:50 pm
Hi guys, Hokie fan here wanting to talk some football (no trolling).  If opposing fans are welcome here,  I'd like to to discuss our upcoming game with some Hog fans since we've never played before.  Who should we watch out for and cool stuff about Arkansas football I might not have heard about.  Thanks in advance Hogs.
If you all never throw a pass, and don't turn it over you probably win by 14.  End of discussion.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

ARKWILD678

Quote from: lizardkingvpi on December 12, 2016, 08:09:40 pm
If y'all have an offensive line that is good at run blocking then you could have some success with your running backs.  We do well at applying pressure when we want to on the quarterback but Bud calls them off unless he has a clear advantage.  Intermediate passing and busted play scrambles are our Achilles heel.

Based on this, Sprinkles will have a 200 yard game.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: KennyForAD on December 13, 2016, 11:48:14 am
I don't believe I've slung ANY mud at Bielema.   I asked, because when I read it, it stuck out as a really odd thing to say.   We've had shocking losses each of the last three years.  The Mizzou loss was just the first time that one came at the end of the season.  Now I get it.  You were just sugar coating.  No big deal.

The way I see it, the Texas Tech loss was a little bad.

The Toledo loss wasn't bad at all.  We just thought it was at the time, and many use that as a go to, "See?  I told ya so" moment.  Should we have won, being in a superior conference with superior money, prestige, and tradition?  Yes.  But Toledo was a well coached, very good team.  Not a bad loss at all.  Don't want to see it happen again though.

Mizzou?  Not a bad loss.  A horrible loss.  Inexcusable.   I get why it happened, but it still shouldn't have happened.  I wanted RS gone at the end of the season by the 3rd or 4th game.  Now he must go, or my faith in BB is shaken.  And before the offense piranhas come aboard to point out we didn't score in the second half, our lead should have sufficed.  Also, you can't expect one side of the ball to carry the other side EVERY SINGLE GAME.
His response to me:

KennyForAD

December 13, 2016, 12:20:38 pm #77 Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 12:30:43 pm by KennyForAD
Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on December 13, 2016, 12:01:21 pm
The way I see it, the Texas Tech loss was a little bad.

The Toledo loss wasn't bad at all.  We just thought it was at the time, and many use that as a go to, "See?  I told ya so" moment.  Should we have won, being in a superior conference with superior money, prestige, and tradition?  Yes.  But Toledo was a well coached, very good team.  Not a bad loss at all.  Don't want to see it happen again though.

Mizzou?  Not a bad loss.  A horrible loss.  Inexcusable.   I get why it happened, but it still shouldn't have happened.  I wanted RS gone at the end of the season by the 3rd or 4th game.  Now he must go, or my faith in BB is shaken.  And before the offense piranhas come aboard to point out we didn't score in the second half, our lead should have sufficed.  Also, you can't expect one side of the ball to carry the other side EVERY SINGLE GAME.

Let me clarify something.  Biggus said that some fans are upset because BB just had his first loss to a bad team (or to that effect).  I'm not interested in any crazy argument regarding the merits of the Toledo and TT teams, or what qualifies as a 'bad team.'  ...  What irked me was the dismissive tone of the comment.  Dismissive, not only of those with legitimate concerns about Bielema, but also dismissive of the inexcusable loss to an ATROCIOUS team.   "It was Bielema's FIRST loss to a really bad team. " Why say that?  Should we be expecting MORE losses to bad teams?  Why not say, "Fans are upset right now cuz we just lost to a really bad team?" 

Biggus then came back and accused me of mudslinging.   Wrong.  I'm not ready to call for BB's head.  I like him, and hope he fixes things.  But I am starting to wonder about his competence.   '   

Sooiecide, I agree about RS, and for BB to just let it go on into next season will be compete incompetence.   If BB doesn't replace him, or fix whatever the problem is, Arkansas will have no hope of being competitive in our division.

longpig

V Tech is a quasi smaht kid school Like La. Tech but with equivalent athletes and coaching to ours. 

I'll cheer for the Hogs and bet on the smaht kids.

Don't be scared, be smart.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: KennyForAD on December 13, 2016, 12:20:38 pm
Let me clarify something.  Biggus said that some fans are upset because BB just had his first loss to a bad team (or to that effect).  I'm not interested in any crazy argument regarding the merits of the Toledo and TT teams, or what qualifies as a 'bad team.'  ...  What irked me was the dismissive tone of the comment.  Dismissive, not only of those with legitimate concerns about Bielema, but also dismissive of the inexcusable loss to an ATROCIOUS team.   "It was Bielema's FIRST loss to a really bad team. " Why say that?  Should we be expecting MORE losses to bad teams?  Why not say, "Fans are upset right now cuz we just lost to a really bad team?" 

Biggus then came back and accused me of mudslinging.   Wrong.  I'm not ready to call for BB's head.  I like him, and hope he fixes things.  But I am starting to wonder about his competence.   '   

No disagreements whatsoever.

I didn't realize any friction between you and Biggus.

I was simply stating my opinion about the losses.
Some on here overreact to the Toledo loss, and overstate the Tech loss.

There's no reasonable excuse for Mizzou.
His response to me:

hog.goblin

Quote from: lizardkingvpi on December 12, 2016, 09:14:17 pm
I believe that's actually just a joke that won't die.  Probably created by some UVA fans during the 4th quarter of one of their 10 losses every season.

Love the UVA jab, now that's how you talk about a rival

KennyForAD

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on December 13, 2016, 12:27:49 pm
No disagreements whatsoever.

I didn't realize any friction between you and Biggus.

I was simply stating my opinion about the losses.
Some on here overreact to the Toledo loss, and overstate the Tech loss.

There's no reasonable excuse for Mizzou.

I got no problem with Biggus.   I just had a flashback to Hugger days, I think. 

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: KennyForAD on December 13, 2016, 12:34:41 pm
I got no problem with Biggus.   I just had a flashback to Hugger days, I think. 

Literally made me LOL.
That Era is so emblazoned with me.....Well just look at my name.
I made other Darksiders look like Huggers I was so Dark.
His response to me:

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on December 13, 2016, 12:37:57 pm
Literally made me LOL.
That Era is so emblazoned with me.....Well just look at my name.
I made other Darksiders look like Huggers I was so Dark.

Hah...I still have (and wear) a black Addidas Razorback Polo. I think of it as garlic around my neck to keep away vampires, and other evil football spirits.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Biggus Piggus

Sooiecide, I agree about RS, and for BB to just let it go on into next season will be compete incompetence.   If BB doesn't replace him, or fix whatever the problem is, Arkansas will have no hope of being competitive in our division.

I will agree - totally agree - that the Toledo loss qualifies as a 100% disappointment. I doubt anyone in the Broyles Complex realized they had scheduled a game against an opponent that was capable of totally outcoaching us. And I also doubt they knew that Bielema's team had developed a mental problem with playing in Little Rock.

The Texas Tech loss wasn't the same in any way really. We had to fight hard to win at their place the year before, when they had an inferior quarterback. We already knew we had issues, given the Toledo outcome.

The "don't lose to a bad opponent" thing, I guess you have to have been on Hogville and the Pigpen before that to follow that train of thought.

It has been a measuring stick since way back. It was especially meaningful for Ford and Nutt.

Danny Ford lost to SMU three years in a row, and he was fired after the third.

Houston Nutt won his nonconference pushover games, but his loss to Vanderbilt at home in 2005 nearly cost him his job. That was the first time he had lost a home game that he really should have won.

Bobby Petrino's worst loss was at Mississippi State in 2008, when they finished 4-8. But he had to boot some players off the defense, and they couldn't get enough stops with so little depth.

It was clear that Arkansas was in trouble under John L. Smith when the Hogs lost at Little Rock to Louisiana-Monroe. But the Hogs still didn't lose to anyone with a losing record that season.

Losing to sub-.500 opponents has always been a rare and bad sign for Arkansas football teams.
[CENSORED]!

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 13, 2016, 01:03:24 pm
Bobby Petrino's worst loss was at Mississippi State in 2008, when they finished 4-8. But he had to boot some players off the defense, and they couldn't get enough stops with so little depth.

I would have to add Kentucky of that same year.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 13, 2016, 01:03:24 pm
I will agree - totally agree - that the Toledo loss qualifies as a 100% disappointment. I doubt anyone in the Broyles Complex realized they had scheduled a game against an opponent that was capable of totally outcoaching us. And I also doubt they knew that Bielema's team had developed a mental problem with playing in Little Rock.

The Texas Tech loss wasn't the same in any way really. We had to fight hard to win at their place the year before, when they had an inferior quarterback. We already knew we had issues, given the Toledo outcome.

The "don't lose to a bad opponent" thing, I guess you have to have been on Hogville and the Pigpen before that to follow that train of thought.

It has been a measuring stick since way back. It was especially meaningful for Ford and Nutt.

Danny Ford lost to SMU three years in a row, and he was fired after the third.

Houston Nutt won his nonconference pushover games, but his loss to Vanderbilt at home in 2005 nearly cost him his job. That was the first time he had lost a home game that he really should have won.

It was clear that Arkansas was in trouble under John L. Smith when the Hogs lost at Little Rock to Louisiana-Monroe. But the Hogs still didn't lose to anyone with a losing record that season.

Losing to sub-.500 opponents has always been a rare and bad sign for Arkansas football teams.

Here's why I am concerned with BB:

I can accept losing to AGGY, Bama, LSU, and Auburn.   I can handle being blown out on the road by Auburn the way we were this year.  I can even accept having THE WORST RUSHING DEFENSE IN FOOTBALL.   What I cannot accept, is having a terrible defense for two years straight ... and being incapable of fixing it.   Losing to Mizzou is bad.  REALLY bad.   Losing to Mizzou alone is close to justification for an automatic firing.  But that isn't the problem.  That's not why people are in shock.  We're in shock after losing to Mizzou to cap off a season where we pretty much had the worst D in football for the second straight year and ...nothing has been done to fix it.

I'm not ready to fire him, but... what the Hell is going on?   If he doesn't fix the defense pronto, we might as well fire him now, because he'll never win here. 

sowmonella

Quote from: KennyForAD on December 13, 2016, 01:37:46 pm

I can accept losing to AGGY, Bama, LSU, and Auburn.   I can handle being blown out on the road by Auburn the way we were this year.  I can even accept having THE WORST RUSHING DEFENSE IN FOOTBALL.   What I cannot accept, is having a terrible defense for two years straight ... and being incapable of fixing it.   Losing to Mizzou is bad.  REALLY bad.   Losing to Mizzou alone is close to justification for an automatic firing.  But that isn't the problem.  That's not why people are in shock.  We're in shock after losing to Mizzou to cap off a season where we pretty much had the worst D in football for the second straight year and ...nothing has been done to fix it.

I'm not ready to fire him, but... what the Hell is going on?   If he doesn't fix the defense pronto, we might as well fire him now, because he'll never win here. 

Pssstttt................your agenda is showing.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on December 13, 2016, 01:19:42 pm
I would have to add Kentucky of that same year.

We lost 21-20 on the road. They went to a bowl game that season.
[CENSORED]!

code red

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 13, 2016, 02:13:18 pm
Yep a couple fumbles in that game cost us dearly.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

The Hawg Marshal

The Rutgers games may not qualify as horrible losses, but they sure felt like it.

hog of steele

Quote from: lizardkingvpi on December 12, 2016, 07:48:38 pm
but coughed up the ball 6 or seven times.

I will order one of those please!

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 13, 2016, 02:13:18 pm

That does soften the blow somewhat, but we did allow two scores, and added a turnover in the 4th to doom us.

BenVT

Quote from: lizardkingvpi on December 13, 2016, 11:31:56 am
Spot on analysis.

For the most part, although our Pass protection didn't get worse as the season went on. Most of the GT sacks were coverage sacks, Clemson just has a ridiculously talented defensive line

I'll also add that Lexington Style BBQ or Western Carolina BBQ, is more Ketchup based and usually more agreeable for out of staters

elksnort

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on December 12, 2016, 09:11:48 pm
I've never eaten at Craig's so I couldn't tell you.
You've never eaten at you own house?

I know, not very funny. Craig's in DeValls Bluff is excellent. Dumpy place though, only takes cash.

Dixie Pig in Blytheville use a vinegar base for their barbeque sauce, by the way.

FraggleHog

Quote from: elksnort on December 13, 2016, 03:29:25 pm
You've never eaten at you own house?

I know, not very funny. Craig's in DeValls Bluff is excellent. Dumpy place though, only takes cash.

Dixie Pig in Blytheville use a vinegar base for their barbeque sauce, by the way.

See above comments... Usually these are the best.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on December 12, 2016, 10:58:25 pm
My wife is a Hokie and I live in Richmond, so I've watched both teams all year.

Virginia Tech has exactly the type of team that Arkansas has problems with. Our defense is poor, our offense is good. The Virginia Tech defense is good enough to get our offense off the field a few times. Our defense is probably not.

Do not let our quality wins deceive. Florida only ran the ball 14 times. Ole Miss had little running game. TCU did not try their running game. Justin Fuente will not make that mistake. My best guess is something like Virginia Tech 45, Arkansas 27.

However, as has been pointed out, the Razorbacks are a Jekyll and Hyde team this year, and if you make mistakes and fail in a couple of drives, then the Hogs will have a chance.

You need to do more analysis on your numbers.

Florida ran 38% of the time. Ole Miss was almost 50/50.

These teams pass a bit more because we control the clock. These two games was about 40 min to 20 min.

I do agree about our defense.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hobhog on December 13, 2016, 07:54:11 am
I'll try to give you a different perspective than the negative posters in here. We have ardent and loyal fans but lots were hurt by the shocking loss to Mizzouri last game and havnt gotten over it. That and the Auburn games were inexplicable, but other than that this season went pretty much as expected. We started a new QB, replaced a great RB and lost the majority of our oline.  The defense was supposed to be our strength but we lost our best LB to injury and some DBs and never recovered. Team played well sometimes, others not so much.

Our offense can score if clicking. Austin Allen at QB has been a bright spot and pleasant surprise, but got rocked in Auburn game and hasn't been quite the same. But he has a great set of receivers, Drew Morgan his favorite, and we can throw it if he has time. Online has run blocked well but not protected well. They are young and mistake prone.

I think we will take this game seriously and give you a good test. We have played a brutal schedule and will not be intimidated. If we can move the ball early, maybe get an early lead I expect a close game. A win here would silence the whiners and get our momentum back for offseason. I think it's a big game for the program and am looking forward to it.

You have a good coach and it would be a good win for us. Best of luck NEXT year.

WPS.

Ditto
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

hawgsalot

Go start your on dang thread this one is actually bearable for a change stay on point.

PorkRinds

Quote from: KennyForAD on December 13, 2016, 01:37:46 pm

I'm not ready to fire him but we might as well fire him now.  Makes sense.