Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hokie fan here

Started by lizardkingvpi, December 12, 2016, 07:01:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lizardkingvpi

Hi guys, Hokie fan here wanting to talk some football (no trolling).  If opposing fans are welcome here,  I'd like to to discuss our upcoming game with some Hog fans since we've never played before.  Who should we watch out for and cool stuff about Arkansas football I might not have heard about.  Thanks in advance Hogs.

The Hawg Marshal

Welcome. Normally you wouldn't have any trouble getting plenty of football talk around here, but right now people are too busy wanting coaches fired or new ones hired. There's just not too much excitement about the bowl game this year.

swineology

Quote from: lizardkingvpi on December 12, 2016, 07:01:50 pm
Hi guys, Hokie fan here wanting to talk some football (no trolling).  If opposing fans are welcome here,  I'd like to to discuss our upcoming game with some Hog fans since we've never played before.  Who should we watch out for and cool stuff about Arkansas football I might not have heard about.  Thanks in advance Hogs.

Welcome Hokie Fan

Hokie Fans will outnumber us 2-1

We suck against dual threat QB's

We win one and lose the next one.

We lost our last game so there's that.

:razorback: :razorback:

widespreadsooie

We'll need to put up at least 40 to win, how's your faith in your D?

lizardkingvpi

We kinda suck against dual threat also.  We also make average running quarterbacks look like Mike Vick.  Usually we do well shutting running backs down but if the quarterback can take the top off the defense a couple times it opens up a ton of running room for the qb.  Our safety and DL play is typically good but our LB Corp takes bad angles and gets eaten up by blocks way too often.

KennyForAD

Welcome.  I think you've caught us at an odd time, but I'm sure it'll pick up.   I'm no expert, but the way I see it the Hokies have a mobile, dual threat qb, which means VT will probably score almost at will against our D.  That's how it usually goes.  If our offense plays lights out, dominates TOP and scores each possession, (which it is capable of, at times) we could make it a shootout and even possibly win, in a 'who scores last' type scenario.   If our offense isn't on fire, however, VT will smoke us.

lizardkingvpi

Quote from: widespreadsooie on December 12, 2016, 07:37:10 pm
We'll need to put up at least 40 to win, how's your faith in your D?

40 points is tough against Bud's defense but it can be done.  Our offense has a tendency to come out flat and pick up steam as the game progresses.  The winning formula seems to be to jump on us early and make us play catch-up.  That's how Georgia Tech and Syracuse beat us.  We outplayed Tennessee 3 out of 4 quarters but coughed up the ball 6 or seven times.

Andrew Hogfan

Welcome.  Reading your last post gives me hope.  I don't think there has been a more Jekyll and Hyde team in all of the NCAA this year than us. If the team that played Ole Miss and Florida shows up,  we win. If the team that got off the plane in Auburn shows up,  you guys win by half time.  Before Austin Allen got hurt at Auburn, I would say we win if it's close in the 4th. He lead us to two or three comeback victories early in the year.  He hasn't been the same since Auburn.  I hope it's a good game but it couldd go either way. But,  our running backs are badazz
WPS!!!

reddogjcss

We basically have two teams and your guess Good as mine which will show up. When playing good the O can score points but Our D is worse Ark has been in very long time. Our only chance is to out score Y'all and from looks I think y'all can score plenty.
D biggest challenge is against a mobile running QB and Hokies have a good one. If our O can get going and limit Hokie O from getting on field we have a chance if not?.

HogFanInBryant

Welcome Hokie fan! 
If you stop our running game...your team wins the game!  It is very doubtful that your guys on offense will have trouble with our defense...we are not SEC-worthy on that side of the ball.
Hokie teams have always made big plays on special teams...yet Hog teams tend to make mistakes on special teams.
The stat that I say matters...shut down RW3 and it could be a laugher.  Don't shut him down and we have a good chance to win.
No offense Hokie fan...but I hope your team eats dinner at the WRONG Chinese buffet the night before the Belk Bowl...lol and good luck!

lizardkingvpi

Quote from: KennyForAD on December 12, 2016, 07:45:16 pm
Welcome.  I think you've caught us at an odd time, but I'm sure it'll pick up.   I'm no expert, but the way I see it the Hokies have a mobile, dual threat qb, which means VT will probably score almost at will against our D.  That's how it usually goes.  If our offense plays lights out, dominates TOP and scores each possession, (which it is capable of, at times) we could make it a shootout and even possibly win, in a 'who scores last' type scenario.   If our offense isn't on fire, however, VT will smoke us.

Here's the thing.  I see all lot of doom and gloom on here.  We may be a *little* bit better than the Hogs but not by that much.  We should be favored but I wouldn't be surprised if we lose.  We've lost to two teams much worse than you guys.

CrookedSquealliry

Are there any good places to eat in Charlotte?

lizardkingvpi

If y'all have an offensive line that is good at run blocking then you could have some success with your running backs.  We do well at applying pressure when we want to on the quarterback but Bud calls them off unless he has a clear advantage.  Intermediate passing and busted play scrambles are our Achilles heel.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: CrookedSquealliry on December 12, 2016, 08:02:53 pm
They have that vinegar based B-B-Q there so be aware of that.

lizardkingvpi

One of my favorite steakhouses is just up the road in Concorde assuming it's still open called Texas land and cattle.  It's a chain but really good.  All around the stadium there are small diners and eateries.  Also up in Concorde there are several places around the HUGE Concorde Mills mall including the NASCAR cafe.

Danny J

That is bar none the best new user name I have seen in some time.

PS...its either going to be a close game going either way or you guys blow us out. I have no idea which team will show up. If you guys score first and it is clear we can't contain your QB from the jump it will be the latter.

lizardkingvpi

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on December 12, 2016, 08:13:48 pm

Fighting words right there...  But yeah there are barbecue restaurants all across the whole damn state.  Rule of thumb for Carolina barbecue: the more run down the building the better the food is.

KennyForAD

Quote from: lizardkingvpi on December 12, 2016, 08:01:48 pm
Here's the thing.  I see all lot of doom and gloom on here.  We may be a *little* bit better than the Hogs but not by that much.  We should be favored but I wouldn't be surprised if we lose.  We've lost to two teams much worse than you guys.

Its not you.  Its us.  haha

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: lizardkingvpi on December 12, 2016, 08:19:06 pm
Fighting words right there...  But yeah there are barbecue restaurants all across the whole damn state.  Rule of thumb for Carolina barbecue: the more run down the building the better the food is.
I wasn't knocking it as much as I just wanted people to be aware that it's not like we are used to around here. But it's not nearly as good as the Q from around here.

whosiskid

Absolutely no disrespect at all intended (and btw,welcome!), but what is a hokie? I just realize it is one of those words I hear but don't know how to interpret. Like a Tarhill. I think that has something to do with tree sap but how? Building ships? Anyway, should be fun seeing the two teams. I love it when we play someone we've never played  before, with the lone exception of Arkansas State. My brother teaches at ASU and he is a Razorback fan as well. No interest in seeing us go against ASU. But VT should be great. Because of proximity, will the Hokies be wearing dark jerseys? I assume Bielema will have something slick for the bowl game. If we are the visiting team maybe we'll wear silverish or at least white Razorback on white helmet.

I'm looking forward to the game. We do have problems on defense but I like our chances if the line can create a pocket for more than a couple of seconds. After having a great line for a couple of seasons it was really tough watching some of the games this year, especially after Froholdt went down. He was surprisingly consistent early on especially on the run, but we don't have enough linemen to see a starter go down. I assume he OK now? Its going to be interesting to watch the line in the spring.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Hollywood870

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on December 12, 2016, 08:13:48 pm
Isn't Craig's in Devall's Bluff vinegar based, and freakin delicious?

KennyForAD

Quote from: whosiskid on December 12, 2016, 08:53:27 pm
Absolutely no disrespect at all intended (and btw,welcome!), but what is a hokie? I just realize it is one of those words I hear but don't know how to interpret. Like a Tarhill. I think that has something to do with tree sap but how? Building ships? Anyway, should be fun seeing the two teams. I love it when we play someone we've never played  before, with the lone exception of Arkansas State. My brother teaches at ASU and he is a Razorback fan as well. No interest in seeing us go against ASU. But VT should be great. Because of proximity, will the Hokies be wearing dark jerseys? I assume Bielema will have something slick for the bowl game. If we are the visiting team maybe we'll wear silverish or at least white Razorback on white helmet.

I'm looking forward to the game. We do have problems on defense but I like our chances if the line can create a pocket for more than a couple of seconds. After having a great line for a couple of seasons it was really tough watching some of the games this year, especially after Froholdt went down. He was surprisingly consistent early on especially on the run, but we don't have enough linemen to see a starter go down. I assume he OK now? Its going to be interesting to watch the line in the spring.

Hokie is to Turkey, as Gelding is to Horse.      There's gotta be a good story behind having a castrated turkey for a mascot.   Hokie Fan:  Please enlighten us.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Hollywood870 on December 12, 2016, 08:58:50 pm
Isn't Craig's in Devall's Bluff vinegar based, and freakin delicious?
I've never eaten at Craig's so I couldn't tell you.

lizardkingvpi

Quote from: whosiskid on December 12, 2016, 08:53:27 pm

Hokie is actually a nonsense word a student wrote for a cheer way back in the day.  Eventually the team nickname became the Hokies.  The live turkey mascot was added some years later and eventually the Hokiebird mascot which is kinda turkeyish.  At one point we were actually the fighting gobblers.  Pretty interesting that we sell turkey legs at Lane Stadium.  We're so hardcore we eat our own mascot.

lizardkingvpi

Quote from: KennyForAD on December 12, 2016, 09:04:57 pm
Hokie is to Turkey, as Gelding is to Horse.      There's gotta be a good story behind having a castrated turkey for a mascot.   Hokie Fan:  Please enlighten us.

I believe that's actually just a joke that won't die.  Probably created by some UVA fans during the 4th quarter of one of their 10 losses every season.

HamSammich

Watch out for the coaching staff. Do not... I repeat- DO NOT be trapped in the jasmines buffet  with them In charlette.... there will be NO fried wontons.

lizardkingvpi

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on December 12, 2016, 08:24:49 pm
I wasn't knocking it as much as I just wanted people to be aware that it's not like we are used to around here. But it's not nearly as good as the Q from around here.

Just playing.  I think every region is protective of their Q sauce.  I'm good with it all as long as it isn't that awful mustard based sauce that's an affront to all things holy.

PonderinHog

Quote from: lizardkingvpi on December 12, 2016, 09:12:45 pm
Hokie is actually a nonsense word a student wrote for a cheer way back in the day.  Eventually the team nickname became the Hokies.  The live turkey mascot was added some years later and eventually the Hokiebird mascot which is kinda turkeyish.  At one point we were actually the fighting gobblers.  Pretty interesting that we sell turkey legs at Lane Stadium.  We're so hardcore we eat our own mascot.
So do we.

lizardkingvpi

BTW I really like this site here.  Very cleanly laid out with really good participation.  If anyone wants to check out the opposition I'd recommend thekeyplay.com.  It has the lowest percentage of jerks of any Hokie site.

KennyForAD

Quote from: lizardkingvpi on December 12, 2016, 09:12:45 pm

I'd eat Tusk..

http://www.sportspickle.com/2014/11/virginia-tech-players-horrified-learn-mascot-eaten-team-thanksgiving-meal

lizardkingvpi

Hollywood870

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on December 12, 2016, 09:11:48 pm
I've never eaten at Craig's so I couldn't tell you.
It's delicious.....Craigs.

The OTR

I've been to your stadium once - beautiful country in Blacksburg

tophawg19

good to see classy fans from the other team. Always welcome and enjoy good conversation . our team is better than most here give credit . see the bama , Florida , and ole miss games . We have some good talent and very good running backs . Our Wr's and TE's can beat you on any given play too. I expect a better showing by our defense do to the extra practice time . Y'all played a great game against clemson and just needed a little more time so we know you have a good team too. should be a physical game all across the board . The loser will likely be the team that beats itself .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

KennyForAD

Quote from: lizardkingvpi on December 12, 2016, 09:19:28 pm
BTW I really like this site here.  Very cleanly laid out with really good participation.  If anyone wants to check out the opposition I'd recommend thekeyplay.com.  It has the lowest percentage of jerks of any Hokie site.

We're a very sensible bunch.  Never any craziness...

jkstock04

Quote from: lizardkingvpi on December 12, 2016, 08:19:06 pm
I think that's a good rule for any BBQ joint no matter what state you are in.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: lizardkingvpi on December 12, 2016, 09:16:17 pm
Just playing.  I think every region is protective of their Q sauce.  I'm good with it all as long as it isn't that awful mustard based sauce that's an affront to all things holy.
On this we can agree.

jgphillips3

Classy fans are always welcome.  We had a historically bad rushing defense this year with 9 starters back from a team that was decent against the run a year ago and completely fell apart in some big games.  So, in year 4 of a coach we have a lot of fans who are unhappy.  We know we aren't Bama but we should at least play well and we didn't too often this year.  We are both good enough to beat VT convincingly and bad enough to be humiliated by you and none of us have the first clue which team you will get in the bowl game.  Oh, and I like that vinegar based Carolina BBQ.  Of course, I like ALL BBQ so there is that.

jkstock04

Decent format but literally zero threads or any talk about the Hog game. Y'all must be really pumped up about this
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

KennyForAD

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 12, 2016, 09:31:57 pm
good to see classy fans from the other team. Always welcome and enjoy good conversation . our team is better than most here give credit . see the bama , Florida , and ole miss games . We have some good talent and very good running backs . Our Wr's and TE's can beat you on any given play too. I expect a better showing by our defense do to the extra practice time . Y'all played a great game against clemson and just needed a little more time so we know you have a good team too. should be a physical game all across the board . The loser will likely be the team that beats itself .

And also worse than most can explain.  See Auburn and Mizzou.   Hopefully, the team that played Florida will show up...   But I agree with you.  I think the extra time, and the pressure to fix obvious problems will help and we'll show up.

lizardkingvpi

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 12, 2016, 09:48:56 pm
Decent format but literally zero threads or any talk about the Hog game. Y'all must be really pumped up about this

Oh it'll pick up closer to gameday.  Right now they are focusing on basketball, recruiting, and fundraising.  Our game threads usually run around 800 comments or so.  I figure the game talk will pick up now that we're in the recruiting dead period.  We really are a decent fanbase for the most part as long as you stay away from the Rivals or 247 forums.  Those are straight poison.  I'm hoping anyone who makes the trip to Charlotte is treated well by the (mostly) home crowd.

usnavyhogfan

Welcome to the site! I'm excited for the matchup as I was stationed in Virginia Beach for a few years so kept up with VT and have a few VT fan friends. I think this ends up being a very close game, won by who makes the least mistakes. If your qb decides to run our D will part like Moses parted the Red Sea and will lay down for a nap. Won't see a defender for 30 yards. Not sure why but we will make any running qb look like a heisman candidate. Anyway cheers to a great game without injuries. WPS.
The dream is free, the journey is not.

jjdlc

Im biased, but I feel Hogville is one of the cleanest, best run, team specific forums on the web.  The guys that run it do an admirable job.  I was so used to coming here,when I went looking at other teams sites, I was shocked at how many look like something out of the late 90s.

lizardkingvpi

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 12, 2016, 09:31:57 pm

Talent wise I'm sure there's a sizable gap between the teams.  We had a disastrous 2011 class that has crippled us for years and we're finally climbing out of.  We're well coached for the most part.  Our wr starting 3 will match up well with any group in the country IMO but there's a development gap behind it.  As far as rb we're thin.  Travon Mcmillan is a homerun threat but can't seem to break a tackle at the line to save his life.  Our FB/RB/WR/TE/QB Sam Rogers may be the best football player on the team and will do at least one thing to hurt the opposition every game.

On defense we have a very solid line including Woody Baron who has had 17.5 TFL this season and Timmy Settle who weighs in at 365 and disrupts the backfield every play.  D backfield is solid with former freshman all-american Brandon Facyson.  Our linebacker corp plays well at times but is the biggest liability on the defense.

If we'd played every game like Clemson we would be 11-1 right now.  If we'd played every game like Syracuse we'd...be making New Years plans that didn't involve football.  We're pretty Jeckyll and Hyde as well.

lizardkingvpi

Quote from: usnavyhogfan on December 12, 2016, 10:08:53 pm
Welcome to the site! I'm excited for the matchup as I was stationed in Virginia Beach for a few years so kept up with VT and have a few VT fan friends. I think this ends up being a very close game, won by who makes the least mistakes. If your qb decides to run our D will part like Moses parted the Red Sea and will lay down for a nap. Won't see a defender for 30 yards. Not sure why but we will make any running qb look like a heisman candidate. Anyway cheers to a great game without injuries. WPS.

I could have written this exact same thing and just switched the teams.

The Boar War

Quote from: lizardkingvpi on December 12, 2016, 10:02:40 pm
Oh it'll pick up closer to gameday.  Right now they are focusing on basketball, recruiting, and fundraising. 

What's your opinion on Buzz Williams?

lizardkingvpi

Quote from: The Boar War on December 12, 2016, 10:18:31 pm
What's your opinion on Buzz Williams?

Really like the guy.  A little hyper but a good coach.  I figure we'll lose him to one of the big boys in a few years though.

TeufelHog

Hog football is the definition of INCONSISTENCY this year.  Especially on the defensive side of the ball.  Depending on which Razorback team decides to get off the bus in Charlotte, your Hokies could easily win this game or get their "heads handed to them."  After the Mizzou loss, let's just say our coaching staff and football team have a lot to accomplish/prove in this bowl game to regain some respect for themselves and from the fan-base. 

longpig

We're undefeated on Thursday.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Bacons Rebellion

My wife is a Hokie and I live in Richmond, so I've watched both teams all year.

Virginia Tech has exactly the type of team that Arkansas has problems with. Our defense is poor, our offense is good. The Virginia Tech defense is good enough to get our offense off the field a few times. Our defense is probably not.

Do not let our quality wins deceive. Florida only ran the ball 14 times. Ole Miss had little running game. TCU did not try their running game. Justin Fuente will not make that mistake. My best guess is something like Virginia Tech 45, Arkansas 27.

However, as has been pointed out, the Razorbacks are a Jekyll and Hyde team this year, and if you make mistakes and fail in a couple of drives, then the Hogs will have a chance.