Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Last 4 Years-Where the Majority of SEC Recruits Come From

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, February 11, 2015, 06:43:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Here are the states from which the more successful teams in the SEC have recruited. This isn't all recruits signed, just the majority for each team over the past 4 years.

The teams are on the left, the states from which they recruit are across the top and the numbers are the total number signed from those states since 2012 by each team.

We are competing in Florida and doing pretty well for a non-Texas team in Texas and holding our own in Louisiana. I sure would like to see us ramp it up in Georgia though. Look at Auburn and S. Carolina...lots of Georgia signees despite Georgia having 54.

Surprisingly, no one seems to be going after recruits in Alabama (or having much success if they are) other than Alabama, Auburn and Miss State.

AL     AR   FL   GA   LA   MS   MO   SC   TX   TN   NC   VA   AZ   CA   IL   KS
Alabama    27      2     9    16    9     5     1     1     6     3     0     4     1     3    0     0
Arkansas    2      24   13     5    6     1     3     0    15     2     0     0     2     5    0     5
Auburn      26      0    18    29   0     6     0     1     0     1     0     0     0      2    1     6
Florida       1       0    57    14   1     3     0     1     2     1     5     1     1      0    1     1
Georgia      0       0    17    54   1     7     0     3     0     3     5     2     1      0    0     3
LSU           1       0     6     7   49    5     0     0    15     1     2     1     1      2    2     0
Ole Miss     7       0     6    13    4   38     0     1     6    11     0     1     0      1    3     0
Miss St     15       0     3     8    6   55     1     0     2     5     0     3     0      1    0     0
Missouri     2       0     11    7    1    2     31     0    11    7     0     0     0      3    4     7
S. Carolina 4       0     15    34   0    1      1    20     1    0     7     3     0      2    0     3
Texas A&M 0      0       1     0    9    3      1     0    71    0     0     1     4      3    0     2
Go Hogs Go!

RazorBassin

Nice work!  Interesting to see where all the teams get their players from.  Auburn recruits FL and GA really well.  aTm having 71 out of Texas isn't shocking, but that is a lot of kids from one state.

sickboy

Wow. Shows you how hard we have to work for it. We clearly don't have a lot of SEC talent in Arkansas.

ArmyOfnobunaga

Wish we would work Missouri harder... It could pay dividends...

And naturally Ill not get on my houston rant as I guess Im a Houston homer.

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will

DLUXHOG

Cool... so we're, by astronomical proportions, 2nd in Texas, and 4th in Florida, I'd say we're getting a good amount of quality recruits.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

ArmyOfnobunaga

Am I reading this right that we have had more success in Ca than anyone?

That could be big down the road. That state is another big time FB player manufacturer.

nice research btw. thanks
There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will

IBleedRazorbackRed

Any particular reason Tenner, Kentucky, and Vandy are left off?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: RazorBassin on February 11, 2015, 06:54:14 pm
Nice work!  Interesting to see where all the teams get their players from.  Auburn recruits FL and GA really well.  aTm having 71 out of Texas isn't shocking, but that is a lot of kids from one state.

You can see that recruiting for them is pretty easy and they don't venture out too far except to get what they may perceive to be an exceptional recruit. And remember, those are 4 year totals, which makes their travel outside their state even less significant. Hitting Louisiana for out of state recruits, but that is right next door.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: DLUXHOG on February 11, 2015, 07:10:09 pm
Cool... so we're, by astronomical proportions, 2nd in Texas, and 4th in Florida, I'd say we're getting a good amount of quality recruits.....

Not sure why we aren't hitting Alabama harder. If Misstake can pick up 15 over 4 years, we ought to be able to do as well. Looking at those numbers it just seems like everyone figures that Alabama and Auburn are going to get the pickings, so no need to devote a lot of effort. I'd like to see us pick up 3-4 more from Alabama and 3-4 more from Georgia every year, but I know this staff knows what they are doing, so you have to have trust in them. They know more than we do.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on February 11, 2015, 07:40:08 pm
Any particular reason Tenner, Kentucky, and Vandy are left off?

In the OP I qualified it as the more successful SEC teams. I added Arkansas for obvious reasons.
Go Hogs Go!

ThisTeetsTaken

Surprised to see Missouri getting nearly as many kids from Tx/FL as we do.   Who are the recruiting aces for Missouri Football?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on February 11, 2015, 07:50:42 pm
Surprised to see Missouri getting nearly as many kids from Tx/FL as we do.   Who are the recruiting aces for Missouri Football?

The numbers for Missouri are actually skewed. Missouri added 2 Florida recruits in 2012, 1 in 2013 and then shifted their emphasis in 2014 with 7. In 2015 they only scored 1. As for Texas, Missouri has always recruited Texas especially while still in the Big 12. In 2012 they signed 6 from Texas. 2013-4 and in 2014 the number went down to 1, while 2015 produced 0.
Go Hogs Go!

jgphillips3

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 11, 2015, 07:48:50 pm
Not sure why we aren't hitting Alabama harder. If Misstake can pick up 15 over 4 years, we ought to be able to do as well.

Well, Starkville is only about 80 miles from Tuscaloosa and only about 30 miles from the Western border of Alabama so it's logical they could get kids Bama doesn't choose.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 11, 2015, 07:55:13 pm
Well, Starkville is only about 80 miles from Tuscaloosa and only about 30 miles from the Western border of Alabama so it's logical they could get kids Bama doesn't choose.

I understand, but if folks want to talk about recruiting to "destinations", it is Starkville, for goodness sakes.
Go Hogs Go!

redeye

Nice data Muskogee!

Auburn and South Carolina are much closer to Georgia and that's a huge advantage for them.  I don't think we'll ever recruit Georgia as well for that reason.  Recruiting Georgia for us is like recruiting Florida, except worse, because Bielema doesn't have the connections in Georgia and it's not so far away from other schools, like it is in South Florida.  Having said that, Georgia has a lot of great talent and so it definitely deserves attention.

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 11, 2015, 07:06:20 pm

I'm with you on both accounts.  Houston recruits remind me of Louisiana recruits and we already seem to be recruiting harder there.  While we've been recruiting Missouri more then usual, I'd also like to see us try harder there.  Specifically in St. Louis, where Mizzou has struggled.  Mizzou has been doing really well instate recently and I'd like to see us more competitive there again.

I have to say that I'm very pleased with the areas Bielema has targeted overall.  We seem to be concentrating on Florida, Louisiana, Houston, Dallas, Kansas and Oklahoma hard.  I'd like to see more effort in Missouri and the Memphis area, but I'm not sure we could expect to have much success anywhere else, such as Alabama, where most players will sign with one of the instate schools.  And we've never had much success in Mississippi, which is also risky for academic reasons.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: redeye on February 11, 2015, 08:02:23 pm
Nice data Muskogee!

Auburn and South Carolina are much closer to Georgia and that's a huge advantage for them.  I don't think we'll ever recruit Georgia as well for that reason.  Recruiting Georgia for us is like recruiting Florida, except worse, because Bielema doesn't have the connections in Georgia and it's not so far away from other schools, like it is in South Florida.  Having said that, Georgia has a lot of great talent and so it definitely deserves attention.

I'm with you on both accounts.  Houston recruits remind me of Louisiana recruits and we already seem to be recruiting harder there.  While we've been recruiting Missouri more then usual, I'd also like to see us try harder there.  Specifically in St. Louis, where Mizzou has struggled.  Mizzou has been doing really well instate recently and I'd like to see us more competitive there again.

I have to say that I'm very pleased with the areas Bielema has targeted overall.  We seem to be concentrating on Florida, Louisiana, Houston, Dallas, Kansas and Oklahoma hard.  I'd like to see more effort in Missouri and the Memphis area, but I'm not sure we could expect to have much success anywhere else, such as Alabama, where most players will sign with one of the instate schools.  And we've never had much success in Mississippi, which is also risky for academic reasons.

Louisiana is a hotbed of talented recruits, I'd like to see us do better there as well, especially in the northern half of Louisiana. 
Go Hogs Go!

jgphillips3

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 11, 2015, 07:57:12 pm
I understand, but if folks want to talk about recruiting to "destinations", it is Starkville, for goodness sakes.

Agree 100%.  It's just easy for parents to go see them and is a SEC school.  I agree with you that I really want to see Northern Louisiana produce for us in addition to FL & TX.  Also would like to see us get more from KC and St. Louis too.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 11, 2015, 07:57:12 pm
I can report it is the absolute worst dump in the SEC. If you haven't been there, don't. Just take my word for it. College Station and Auburn are runner ups. :puke:

ArmyOfnobunaga

Quote from: Hog N Bama on February 11, 2015, 08:27:39 pm
I can report it is the absolute worst dump in the SEC. If you haven't been there, don't. Just take my word for it. College Station and Auburn are runner ups. :puke:

Those three are all dump$. but $omehow they all $till recruit well.

And this isn't just speculation on my part. 3 of my best friends are boosters to two of those $chools.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hog N Bama on February 11, 2015, 08:27:39 pm

Another thing about Auburn and Gus, as much as we talk about building a fence around Arkansas in recruiting, just look at those numbers. Over the last four years in the SEC who have we lost kids to? Alabama, that's it. Auburn hasn't had much influence over Arkansas kids the last four years and neither has anyone else in the SEC, aside from Alabama.
Go Hogs Go!

ArmyOfnobunaga

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 11, 2015, 08:39:10 pm
Another thing about Auburn and Gus, as much as we talk about building a fence around Arkansas in recruiting, just look at those numbers. Over the last four years in the SEC who have we lost kids to? Alabama, that's it. Auburn hasn't had much influence over Arkansas kids the last four years and neither has anyone else in the SEC, aside from Alabama.

You have to take into account that maybe the top 2-3 kids from Arkansas the last 4 years or so really are sec quality.

But this was some nice research. Its absolutely staggering that the SEC doesn't take more from CA to me.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 11, 2015, 08:42:01 pm
You have to take into account that maybe the top 2-3 kids from Arkansas the last 4 years or so really are sec quality.

But this was some nice research. Its absolutely staggering that the SEC doesn't take more from CA to me.

Not many feel the need to do so. With the low number of kids in Arkansas that we usually have that are SEC quality out of high school year in and year out, we have to go outside our boundaries to find SEC level players. By the same token, look at Alabama's numbers. They have taken to national recruiting as a matter of preference due to their ongoing national success, as opposed to a matter of need.
Go Hogs Go!

ArmyOfnobunaga

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 11, 2015, 08:46:10 pm
Not many feel the need to do so. With the low number of kids in Arkansas that we usually have that are SEC quality out of high school year in and year out, we have to go outside our boundaries to find SEC level players. By the same token, look at Alabama's numbers. They have taken to national recruiting as a matter of preference due to their ongoing national success, as opposed to a matter of need.

Now Im not arguing with you.... but some would say that who ever Alabama offers the other big schools offer and the kids ranking goes up.

While I'm not saying this is true. Its still shocking to me that the skills factory that is Ca isn't poached more... I mean hell even ND gets their share of big time Ca guys.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 11, 2015, 08:49:01 pm

Now Im not arguing with you.... but some would say that who ever Alabama offers the other big schools offer and the kids ranking goes up.

While I'm not saying this is true. Its still shocking to me that the skills factory that is Ca isn't poached more... I mean hell even ND gets their share of big time Ca guys.

I made no mention of players rankings. That has nothing to do with this. Some teams choose to recruit regionally because there is an overwhelming abundance of qualified talent available within a short drive/flight that they feel fits their systems. Alabama is one of those schools who could do that, but because of their ongoing success they have the ability to cherry pick regional talent and then go national, again cherry picking the best talent that they can find (exceptional athletes) from across the nation.

Notre Dame, when they were NOTRE DAME, could swoop into any school in the nation and cherry pick the best talent based on their legacy and reputation. That has diminished to some extent over the years and others have taken their place. Alabama being one of those.

Arkansas on the other hand has to secure the best talent within their border and now finally, we have a staff who is willing to go anywhere (regionally or nationally) that is necessary to try to compete with the big boys for talented recruits and the more we win in the future, the more kids we put in the NFL as well, the more success we will have in recruiting.

We are fighting to break the glass ceiling in recruiting. Teams like Alabama, have already done that by virtue of their national noteriety and success. It is an uphill climb for us and any other team who wants to be successful every year in both wins and recruiting, but I think we are on the right path.
Go Hogs Go!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 11, 2015, 07:54:44 pm
The numbers for Missouri are actually skewed. Missouri added 2 Florida recruits in 2012, 1 in 2013 and then shifted their emphasis in 2014 with 7. In 2015 they only scored 1. As for Texas, Missouri has always recruited Texas especially while still in the Big 12. In 2012 they signed 6 from Texas. 2013-4 and in 2014 the number went down to 1, while 2015 produced 0.
Some of this is left over from their Big 12 days but Mizzou has tended to recruit northeast Texas and the Dallas Metroplex pretty well. Perhaps some of that relationship might be slipping a bit now that we've starting seeing some of the longer tenured coaches on the Tiger's staff moving on.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 11, 2015, 11:12:13 pm
Some of this is left over from their Big 12 days but Mizzou has tended to recruit northeast Texas and the Dallas Metroplex pretty well. Perhaps some of that relationship might be slipping a bit now that we've starting seeing some of the longer tenured coaches on the Tiger's staff moving on.

I think they are making an attempt to go heavier into SEC territory. The last 2 years they have gained recruits from Florida (eight), Georgia (6), Tennessee (7) and Mississippi (2) while their Texas recruiting has seemed to diminish.
Go Hogs Go!

twistitup

February 12, 2015, 06:10:23 am #26 Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 06:25:33 am by twistitup
 :D
Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 11, 2015, 11:12:13 pm

I think we texas and deep east texas are areas we should focus on heavily - those areas area roughly 5 hours from Fville and a big diff from central, south, west tex. Tons of quality athletes come from a 2 hour circle away from the metroplex

Dangerfield, Palestine, Tatum. Atlanta, Longview, Tyler....huge kids in east texas. Some comp from LSU but we can hang
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

redeye

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 12, 2015, 05:53:32 am
I think they are making an attempt to go heavier into SEC territory. The last 2 years they have gained recruits from Florida (eight), Georgia (6), Tennessee (7) and Mississippi (2) while their Texas recruiting has seemed to diminish.

I remember that being an issue when they joined the SEC.  I believe Mizzou built their program with Texas recruits and some of their fans were worried that they'd struggle recruiting Texas in the SEC.  Immediately after they joined, they publicly announced they would switch some of their focus to SEC states (primarily those in the SEC-E) to adapt.

Quote from: twistitup on February 12, 2015, 06:10:23 am
I think ne texas and deep east texas are areas we should focus on heavily - those areas area roughly 5 hours from Fville and a big diff from central, south, west tex. Tons of quality athletes come from a 2 hour circle away from the metroplex

Dangerfield, Palestine, Tatum. Atlanta, Longview, Tyler....huge kids in east texas. Some comp from LSU but we can hang

No doubt about it, but I've often heard that Houston players were better and I'm starting to believe it. I think we stand to benefit from both and hope to see us continue recruiting both.

mizzouman

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on February 11, 2015, 07:50:42 pm
We have backed off TX big time since joining the SEC.  In fact, I don't think we signed a single player from TX this year.

We are now rooted in GA and FLA.  Recruiting both those states very hard along with TN.

Mizzou recruits a little differently in that they don't necessarily send out, say, the WR coach to recruit a WR.  The LB coach may be the one hauling in a WR.  What Mizzou does is put their coaches in territories and they stay there in order to build relationships. 

Since joining the SEC, they took a recruiter out of TX and put him in GA and put another in FLA. The focus has changed.

mizzouman

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 11, 2015, 06:43:23 pm
Here are the states from which the more successful teams in the SEC have recruited. This isn't all recruits signed, just the majority for each team over the past 4 years.

The teams are on the left, the states from which they recruit are across the top and the numbers are the total number signed from those states since 2012 by each team.

We are competing in Florida and doing pretty well for a non-Texas team in Texas and holding our own in Louisiana. I sure would like to see us ramp it up in Georgia though. Look at Auburn and S. Carolina...lots of Georgia signees despite Georgia having 54.

Surprisingly, no one seems to be going after recruits in Alabama (or having much success if they are) other than Alabama, Auburn and Miss State.

AL     AR   FL   GA   LA   MS   MO   SC   TX   TN   NC   VA   AZ   CA   IL   KS
Alabama    27      2     9    16    9     5     1     1     6     3     0     4     1     3    0     0
Arkansas    2      24   13     5    6     1     3     0    15     2     0     0     2     5    0     5
Auburn      26      0    18    29   0     6     0     1     0     1     0     0     0      2    1     6
Florida       1       0    57    14   1     3     0     1     2     1     5     1     1      0    1     1
Georgia      0       0    17    54   1     7     0     3     0     3     5     2     1      0    0     3
LSU           1       0     6     7   49    5     0     0    15     1     2     1     1      2    2     0
Ole Miss     7       0     6    13    4   38     0     1     6    11     0     1     0      1    3     0
Miss St     15       0     3     8    6   55     1     0     2     5     0     3     0      1    0     0
Missouri     2       0     11    7    1    2     31     0    11    7     0     0     0      3    4     7
S. Carolina 4       0     15    34   0    1      1    20     1    0     7     3     0      2    0     3
Texas A&M 0      0       1     0    9    3      1     0    71    0     0     1     4      3    0     2
Surprised at the lack of players coming out of TN and SC.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: mizzouman on February 12, 2015, 07:56:03 am
Surprised at the lack of players coming out of TN and SC.

Clemson has grabbed 31 over the last 4 years out of SC, compared to that of S. Carolina with 20, so there is that.
Go Hogs Go!

mizzouman

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 12, 2015, 08:09:13 am
Clemson has grabbed 31 over the last 4 years out of SC, compared to that of S. Carolina with 20, so there is that.
Ok, that does explain it. 

hawginbigd1

Clemson was the surprise of the year for me, only 1 or 2 of their top 10 recruits came from SC. They are not Bama, you would figure at least half their top recruits would come from home to be ranked as high as they are.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 11, 2015, 07:06:20 pm

I read somewhere, not sure if rd or another recruiting guy. But they said Enos will recruit the St. Louis area.

hawginbigd1

We have always battled LSU and aTm for the non ::hornsdown:: kids, but I knew as soon as aTm came to the SEC it was going to be harder for us. I am convinced us and LSU have lost several recruits to aTm because they have joined, no way to prove it. However there is no denying that their recruiting has sky rocketed since joining the conference, and most of those players are from Texas. I think it is one of the most important games on our schedule now.

Hogs-n-Roses

TexasRazorback

Some people are going to disagree with this alot but looking at the numbers per state, no sec team wants anything to do with Arkansas grown players. 2 in the last 4 years went to play in the sec both at bama and we both know who they are. besides that no SEC school is touching the HS talent in arkansas. it starts at the bottom and ARkansas High Schoool athletics needs a big boost in quality HS coaches that can develop these players into great college prospects

WorfHog

The data is incomplete (three missing SEC schools and not every recruit), but it shows that Georgia, Florida, Texas and Mississippi produce most of the SEC talent.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WorfHog on February 12, 2015, 09:45:29 am
The data is incomplete (three missing SEC schools and not every recruit), but it shows that Georgia, Florida, Texas and Mississippi produce most of the SEC talent.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-states-produce-tons-of-fbs-talent/

This gives you the number of FBS signees by state and the ratio to players in 2014.  FL, GA and LA are 1-3 with AL 6, MS 7, TN 10. 

TX 12th
AR 14
SC 16
KY 26
MO 30th - Only 1 signee for every 802 players. 

The other closest states to our campus:

OK 15th
KS 20th
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

kp72204

Quote from: sickboy on February 11, 2015, 07:04:22 pm
Wow. Shows you how hard we have to work for it. We clearly don't have a lot of SEC talent in Arkansas.
Yes we do, just have to figure out how to get to go to school and committ to his future!!!!

TexasRazorback

Quote from: kp72204 on February 12, 2015, 02:00:57 pm
Yes we do, just have to figure out how to get to go to school and committ to his future!!!!

Arkansas produces very little SEC talent. its not a knock on the state itself. Arkansas as a state is a low populated low income state. Theres not a lot of money going into the HS programs unlike states like FL, TX, CALI, OH. OK, etc. Again this is the state not the school. I went to U of A and loved it and am always recruiting kids to go there, but Arkansas would rank in the lower 3rd of football producing states.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: RazorBassin on February 11, 2015, 06:54:14 pm

Yes but it is a BIG state.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Historically Clemson has been known as THE best football program in SC. There are only a few teams in the ACC that puts more emphasis historically in football over basketball. Until FSU, VT and Miami joined it was pretty much exclusively Clemson. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

redeye

Quote from: TexasRazorback on February 12, 2015, 02:35:59 pm
Arkansas produces very little SEC talent. its not a knock on the state itself. Arkansas as a state is a low populated low income state. Theres not a lot of money going into the HS programs unlike states like FL, TX, CALI, OH. OK, etc. Again this is the state not the school. I went to U of A and loved it and am always recruiting kids to go there, but Arkansas would rank in the lower 3rd of football producing states.

I mostly agree, but Arkansas passed Mississippi in population last year and I believe we're still ahead of them in income.  Still, if you look at the SDS link above, Mississippi is 7th per capita, while we're 14th, which isn't bad.

redeye

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 12, 2015, 08:45:01 am
We have always battled LSU and aTm for the non ::hornsdown:: kids, but I knew as soon as aTm came to the SEC it was going to be harder for us. I am convinced us and LSU have lost several recruits to aTm because they have joined, no way to prove it. However there is no denying that their recruiting has sky rocketed since joining the conference, and most of those players are from Texas. I think it is one of the most important games on our schedule now.

Still not buying that A&M has made it harder for us to recruit Texas.  We signed 4 very good players from Texas this year (Rogers, RWIII, Dalton and Sykes).  If we'd signed Weathersby, it likely would have been our best class from Texas in years.  And that's with the increased effort in recruiting Florida.  A&M has definitely improved it's recruiting, but I also think LSU is recruiting Texas better then in the past.

Pigsfeat

Wonder why we don't get very many recruits from MS. It is a neighboring state and in the SEC. They normally produce more SEC talent than Arkansas does. I realize they have two SEC schools in the state but they don't keep them all!
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

Atlhogfan1

A&M in the SEC is affecting LSU.  They are getting very highly rated recruits out of southern La.  In Texas, we don't affect A&M too much they don't have much affect on us.  That is between them and Texas. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Pigsfeat on February 12, 2015, 03:35:51 pm
Wonder why we don't get very many recruits from MS. It is a neighboring state and in the SEC. They normally produce more SEC talent than Arkansas does. I realize they have two SEC schools in the state but they don't keep them all!

Better options closer like Bama, LSU and AU as well as an easy drive to Tallahassee from southern Miss.  Also have to consider how poor their schools are and some recruits aren't recruitable for our program.  It is a reason S Miss has historically been competitive except very recent seasons.  In state "leftovers" that we can recruit are more plentiful in La, Ga and Fl. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 12, 2015, 08:45:01 am

You saw the totals that A&M signed from Texas from 2015 back to 2012-71 players. From 2011 back to 2008 they signed 79 from Texas. They signed more Texas kids before joining the SEC than after. I fail to see how they have been more of a threat in terms of sheer numbers of Texas kids signed since joining the SEC.

And, since joining the SEC isn't as if they have really hammered Louisiana either. 2015 back to 2012 they signed 9 from that state, the exact same number they signed over the 2011 back to 2008 period of time.

Overall, their basic recruiting pattern and areas of emphasis (state wise) haven't changed a bit. So in reality, since joining the SEC they have had no effect on making it more difficult for any SEC school to recruit. Now they have added more emphasis to recruiting Arizona in the last 4 years (4 signees), but that doesn't penalize SEC schools at all.

The only potential caveat to this may be the average stars rankings of the players they signed in those two 4 year periods, by position. But I'll let you do that break down.
Go Hogs Go!