Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaching Changes Right After Signing Day

Started by Hogfaniam, February 06, 2015, 03:15:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogfaniam

Keep burning those bridges...

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/2/6/7992883/michael-weber-ohio-state-stan-drayton-thomas-wilcher-urban-meyer

"Cass Technical head coach Thomas Wilcher: "It's a black eye on [Ohio State] University. They're out there getting these youn"
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Hoggish1

I wouldn't mind seeing Vermin Meyer blackballed at Cass Tech.  In my book he's in the same boat at Bobby P.  Once these guys are found out it's gonna be hard for them in recruiting going forward and I like it!

Atlhogfan1

Add Bumpas' retirement leaked on signing day to the list.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

rhog1

Leaving right after signing day without telling recruits in advance is always such a scummy thing for a coach to do.  But schools act like it is a criminal offense if a kid wants to transfer.

sickboy

Honestly... I love recruiting, but it's a dirty and antiquated way to do things. The NFL figured out in 1935 that recruiting and signing players on an open market is anti-competitive, it will always favor the wealthiest programs. In the NFL, all the big market teams were able to sign the best players because they had the money, then they became the most prestigious franchises, and it became an impossible uphill battle for smaller market teams. Nobody wanted that.

We have the same thing in college football. The only reason a new system hasn't been implemented is the whole "amateur" status of college football and the naive notion that recruits aren't bought. But the truth is, they are... and the byproduct of that system is a shady, backhanded system from top to bottom.

tbhogfan

Assistant coaching is a nomadic profession.   Recruits need to understand that they should be looking at the program and the institution, not the assistant who is their main recruiter.
Go Hogs!

RazorbacksFan

Quote from: tbhogfan on February 06, 2015, 03:44:30 pm
Assistant coaching is a nomadic profession.   Recruits need to understand that they should be looking at the program and the institution, not the assistant who is their main recruiter.

You make a good point. I heard many players on NSD talking about their relationship with their position coach as a reason for their choice...then one of the ESPNU anchors on set reminded the other analysts about a Florida HS player who said he "just wanted Jeremy Pruitt" as his coach. Then Jeremy Pruitt left FSU to Georgia and the player couldn't follow. Some in the media are now saying players should be allowed to withdraw their signed LOI if their position coach leaves. I like the idea of players making a commitment to a program or school. Some are already very eager to do that because it was a lifelong dream to be a Razorback or a Gator, for example. Perhaps that is why that #1 recruit second-guessed himself when he chose "Will Muschamp" instead of Florida.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: tbhogfan on February 06, 2015, 03:44:30 pm
Somewhat agree, but to stay just through recruiting season is shady.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: RazorbacksFan on February 06, 2015, 04:04:09 pm
You make a good point. I heard many players on NSD talking about their relationship with their position coach as a reason for their choice...then one of the ESPNU anchors on set reminded the other analysts about a Florida HS player who said he "just wanted Jeremy Pruitt" as his coach. Then Jeremy Pruitt left FSU to Georgia and the player couldn't follow. Some in the media are now saying players should be allowed to withdraw their signed LOI if their position coach leaves. I like the idea of players making a commitment to a program or school. Some are already very eager to do that because it was a lifelong dream to be a Razorback or a Gator, for example. Perhaps that is why that #1 recruit second-guessed himself when he chose "Will Muschamp" instead of Florida.

On the other hand, how many offensive linemen have committed to us not only because of our offensive scheme, that they feel fits and helps showcase their particular abilities, but also because of Sam Pittman and their confidence in him to develop them into the best that they can possibly be?

I think it is one thing if an assistant is recruiting a player, they sign in expectation of playing for that coach and then in May or June, the assistant has a career opportunity somewhere else and leaves. It is quite another thing when the assistant actively recruits a kid leaving the impression that he will be his position coach, and then within days after NSD, leaves for another position. Something that was obviously in the cards before the kid signed.

That is purposeful deception on the part of a staff and just plain wrong.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogsolo

We have a relative that played at Florida under Meyer.    He's not a good man in the least.   He left a very bad taste in the mouths of that family who are Gator legacies.   

DCimport

This is probably going to be a common scenario with the new early signing period

Smokehouse

Quote from: RazorbacksFan on February 06, 2015, 04:04:09 pm

Assistant coaches changes jobs is one thing. If the Texas recruit isn't just completely making things up, he asked Strong if the assistant was going to accept an offer and was told the coach had already turned it down.

So either the assistant lied to Strong and secretly accepted the other position (seems unlikely), or Strong - he of the moral codes and quick trigger finger - lied to a recruits face to get him to sign.

If it's about the player committing to a program, the coach shouldn't lie about leaving (or the head coach shouldn't lie about the assistant leaving). The cover-up indicates that these people know what they're doing isn't right.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Dr. Starcs

I'd be expecting too much to think that recruits would honor their commitments, and coaches and universities would honor their contracts.

reddogjcss

Tell,them recruits to come on the Razorbacks want them. Most likely was going to red shirt there first year anyway.

LR Hog

Quote from: rhog1 on February 06, 2015, 03:27:21 pm
Leaving right after signing day without telling recruits in advance is always such a scummy thing for a coach to do.  But schools act like it is a criminal offense if a kid wants to transfer.

^this
Like a boss.

Hog N Bama

TN waited till after NSD to announce a new OC few ever heard of :puke:

BrianWPS!!

Kinda wondering how our Raleigh Williams is feeling right about now with thomas heading to New Orleans

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: rhog1 on February 06, 2015, 03:27:21 pm

AR RB coach?
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Squints Pallaboarus

Quote from: BrianWPS!! on February 07, 2015, 11:39:24 am
Kinda wondering how our Raleigh Williams is feeling right about now with thomas heading to New Orleans

Rawleigh III @The3rdRawleigh  ·  2 hours ago
Well...

rhog1

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on February 07, 2015, 12:10:38 pm
AR RB coach?
It was absolutely a scummy move if he knew he was taking the saints job and left without telling Rawleigh Williams before he signed his letter of intent.

72756Hog

Quote from: rhog1 on February 07, 2015, 12:54:23 pm
It was absolutely a scummy move if he knew he was taking the saints job and left without telling Rawleigh Williams before he signed his letter of intent.
I read somewhere, I can't remember where, that Thomas talked to RW3 before he left, he said he couldn't talk about the specifics though.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just drag you down to their level and win by experience.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BrianWPS!! on February 07, 2015, 11:39:24 am

I bet he thinks that he has signed himself into the right offensive philosophy and that given Bielema's reputation for producing hard running teams, he will find himself with another really good RB coach. Of course, I could be wrong. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

mhuff

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 07, 2015, 01:07:49 pm
I bet he thinks that he has signed himself into the right offensive philosophy and that given Bielema's reputation for producing hard running teams, he will find himself with another really good RB coach. Of course, I could be wrong. ;)

He won't be running behind a bunch of light weights.

LJHOG

In any other situation a material change of this magnitude would allow the injured party to dissolve the contract.

rljjr

If they are going to make kids sign earlier to "commit" and "sign" with a school and it is binding, then coaches need to be required to stay at the university they coach for if they are involved in the recruiting of athletes they would coach at that position. There needs to be a binding date placed on coaches too. If you recruit a player after X date then you are bound to coach there for the following season. If you choose to leave you will not be allowed to coach during the following season.

Of course this only works at the college to college level unless the NFL plays by NCAA rules on this issue, and we know that won't happen.   $$$

ArkansasI

Coaches change jobs to improve their professional position. With Coach Thomas headed to New Orleans, Raleigh is now personal friends with an NFL coach.

Raleigh is also going to meet his new RB Coach in Fayetteville. I suspect he will be an excellent coach. Replace with better.

Life grows.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: LJHOG on February 07, 2015, 01:38:42 pm
In any other situation a material change of this magnitude would allow the injured party to dissolve the contract.

So you think if I sign a contract with walmart and then my supervisor that hired me leaves, I can dissolve the contract?
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

aloha_kid

IN other news Joel Thomas to New Orleans Saints.

HamShank

Quote from: aloha_kid on February 07, 2015, 03:46:11 pm
IN other news Joel Thomas to New Orleans Saints.

Exactly. And Williams just tweeted "Well..." which leads me to believe he wasn't told about this in advance. Shady.

PEtrader

Ha,  so how many of you will now say this isn't that big of a deal?
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

aloha_kid

Quote from: HamShank on February 07, 2015, 03:47:49 pm
Exactly. And Williams just tweeted "Well..." which leads me to believe he wasn't told about this in advance. Shady.

The interesting part is that he just signed an extension.  So this was either really shady or came out of nowhere.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on February 07, 2015, 02:50:41 pm
So you think if I sign a contract with walmart and then my supervisor that hired me leaves, I can dissolve the contract?

You would be able to get another job without sitting out a year.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Smokehouse

February 07, 2015, 11:52:02 pm #32 Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 01:18:12 pm by Smokehouse
Quote from: PEtrader on February 07, 2015, 03:54:16 pm

Doesn't change my opinion. If Thomas or CBB knew about this ahead of time and didn't clue RWIII in, I'm disappointed. Given the signed contract extension and his emphasis on family and honesty, I have to believe that at least CBB didn't know that was coming.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PEtrader on February 07, 2015, 03:54:16 pm

I stated above how I feel about things like this happening and I don't think it is right or fair to the player unless they were told in advance that this might happen shortly after they signed.

Question is, how big of a deal is it to Williams? Did he sign with Arkansas because he felt that Thomas has developed a lot of successful NFL level RB's, like O-Linemen might sign with Arkansas because of Pittman?

Or did he sign with Arkansas because he felt the overall offensive philosophy best fits his particular skill set and talents? Or some of both?

We can speculate all that we want to, but these are things for which we don't have answers.
Go Hogs Go!

The Boar War

Could be that Bielema didn't know.  His track record doesn't suggest that having a full staff on nsd is crucial.  We didn't even have a dc during last years.

HOGINTENNESSEE

You have proof we knew before?

DoctorSusscrofa

Although I don't think it's fair to players that a coach may intend to leave and may not tell the player, there are too many different scenarios that may explain or partially explain why it happens. As much as coaches move around, players have to know it's possible. That's why players need to figure out what team they want to play for and put less emphasis on the coaches. The schools and coaches are depending on recruits to aid their revenue or career goals. They're going to do what's best for them, not necessarily for the player. Also, we act as though players are stupid and as if they've been duped. D1 athletes are not all book geniuses, but most are not stupid.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

SquidBilly

A recruit needs to look at the HC and the program when making their decision.  Position coaches don't set the philosophy for the team and if the HC is worth committing to he should be trusted to deal with his assistants.