Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Victor Dukes

Started by klp1, June 04, 2014, 06:05:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

klp1

Retweeted by Victor L Dukes
Drew Messmer @AllMetroDrew  ·  May 31
2015 Dunking Sensation Victor Dukes @VictorDukes23 holds offers from Marquette, Arkansas, UCLA, Texas A&M, Oregon St, Cincinnati, & Michigan

Is this legitimate?  On this twitter page he says he is visiting UCLA soon. 

ricepig

Quote from: klp1 on June 04, 2014, 06:05:55 am
2015 Dunking Sensation Victor Dukes @VictorDukes23 holds offers from Marquette, Arkansas, UCLA, Texas A&M, Oregon St, Cincinnati, & Michigan

Nope

RazorAg

Quote from: klp1 on June 04, 2014, 06:05:55 am

When I saw that, I immediately said no way. However, I've asked someone to verify.

Beavthompson

How could he? He was kicked off Nettleton's basketball team for not showing up. He gained an entourage after the sportscenter dunk that led him astray of doing any work to be better.
Say no to drunk posts! Unless its a great idea!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Beavthompson on June 04, 2014, 07:13:02 am
How could he? He was kicked off Nettleton's basketball team for not showing up. He gained an entourage after the sportscenter dunk that led him astray of doing any work to be better.

That's sad to hear, but not surprising considering how things are.

-Blu

He's rated a 4-star by ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/187134/victor-dukes

I wonder how long it's been since they evaluated him.  It would seem like their 2015 rankings would be current to at least a few months.

hawgsmellgud

haha!! So he has one nice play and already thinks he is a super star? Good luck young man, lucky you aren't my son. That kinda Stuff doesn't fly around my house.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

ricepig

He transferred to Jonesboro in January, if he plays by Swifts rules, he'll get better and noticed, if not, he won't play. He's on the Wings Elite team, but doesn't get a lot of minutes.

klp1

I have watched some of the wings games on live-stream.  It looks like he's gained some bad weight and lost some athleticism.  He's definitely not the same player he was on the his famous dunk video.

Beavthompson

Quote from: ricepig on June 04, 2014, 09:59:19 am
He transferred to Jonesboro in January, if he plays by Swifts rules, he'll get better and noticed, if not, he won't play. He's on the Wings Elite team, but doesn't get a lot of minutes.
I hope he puts in the work. I just really doubt he will. Nettleton's coach did everything for him. He returned the favor by not showing for games and practice. He was nice enough to tell his coach about his "shin splints" after no showing.
Say no to drunk posts! Unless its a great idea!

ricepig

Quote from: Beavthompson on June 04, 2014, 11:00:48 am
I hope he puts in the work. I just really doubt he will. Nettleton's coach did everything for him. He returned the favor by not showing for games and practice. He was nice enough to tell his coach about his "shin splints" after no showing.

Well, Swift is pretty simple, his way or the highway. He's cut plenty of kids that couldn't abide by his rules, we'll see with Victor. He was a practice player for him last semester after he transferred, so he knows the rules.

Porkatarian

Quote from: ricepig on June 04, 2014, 11:04:35 am
Well, Swift is pretty simple, his way or the highway. He's cut plenty of kids that couldn't abide by his rules, we'll see with Victor. He was a practice player for him last semester after he transferred, so he knows the rules.

I'm biased, but I believe Wes Swift is the best coach in the state.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

ricepig

Quote from: Porkatarian on June 04, 2014, 12:05:58 pm

Porkatarian out...

Yes, we are very fortunate to have him here in Jonesboro.

RazorAg

Quote from: ricepig on June 04, 2014, 09:59:19 am

He actually serves as their 6th man, and splits time on the ball and off the ball.  I wouldn't say he doesn't get a lot of minutes.

Quote from: klp1 on June 04, 2014, 10:34:06 am
I have watched some of the wings games on live-stream.  It looks like he's gained some bad weight and lost some athleticism.  He's definitely not the same player he was on the his famous dunk video.

Not to say that he's in optimal shape, but he's in better shape than he was last Spring/Summer; I attribute that to Swift's expectations since he transferred to Jonesboro.  When I saw him in person at the Real Deal, I thought he looked pretty good.  His physical shape was a concern of mine after I saw him a year ago, and was happy with his improvement.  He has the body type to easily gain weight, so he has to stay on it.

Quote from: -Blu on June 04, 2014, 09:39:58 am
He's rated a 4-star by ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/187134/victor-dukes

I wonder how long it's been since they evaluated him.  It would seem like their 2015 rankings would be current to at least a few months.

That rating was given to him last summer.  I expect it to drop to a 3 star.

ricepig

Quote from: RazorAg on June 04, 2014, 12:44:19 pm
He actually serves as their 6th man, and splits time on the ball and off the ball.  I wouldn't say he doesn't get a lot of minutes.

Let's put it this way, his minutes have been decreasing.

http://www.d1circuit.com/roster_players/4869150

RazorAg

Quote from: ricepig on June 04, 2014, 12:57:31 pm
Let's put it this way, his minutes have been decreasing.

http://www.d1circuit.com/roster_players/4869150

Yep. Recent addition of Khalil Spencer has been a big factor.

zane

Porkatarian out...

As much as I hate to say it (as a Nettleton alum), Jonesboro will always put a salty squad on the floor as long as he's there.
RIP LSUfan

ricepig

Quote from: zane on June 04, 2014, 03:46:46 pm
As much as I hate to say it (as a Nettleton alum), Jonesboro will always put a salty squad on the floor as long as he's there.

Well, we usually did under Pruitt too, but now there is someone in charge.

Razorpigg

Porkatarian out...

On a different note...I would be surprised if there is anyone on their team that can out shoot Coach Swift. Man that guy could fill it up back in the day...

mhuff

Quote from: ricepig on June 04, 2014, 03:59:49 pm
Well, we usually did under Pruitt too, but now there is someone in charge.

Jonesboro has always been a strong BB school. You play 25 games in the fourth grade and learn to full court press and half court trap.

ricepig

Quote from: mhuff on July 11, 2014, 10:41:40 am
Jonesboro has always been a strong BB school. You play 25 games in the fourth grade and learn to full court press and half court trap.

4th grade league was tough, I know, I coached in it, haha.

mhuff

Quote from: ricepig on July 11, 2014, 01:22:00 pm
4th grade league was tough, I know, I coached in it, haha.

I salute you. I do not have enough superlatives to say about the BB programs in Jonesboro. They do it right.

jry04

Is this kid going to a major program? Are we even considering him? I saw he has scored in the 40s and 50s in some games at some small school in Missouri. I know we are his favorite, but did not know if anyone had an update on where this kid may end up. Last I hear he did not have an offer.

claycohog

Quote from: jry04 on February 06, 2015, 03:39:08 pm
Is this kid going to a major program? Are we even considering him? I saw he has scored in the 40s and 50s in some games at some small school in Missouri. I know we are his favorite, but did not know if anyone had an update on where this kid may end up. Last I hear he did not have an offer.
Dukes plays for Senath-Hornersville, which is located in the bootheel of Missouri... the coach for this school is Dickey Nutt's son if that tells you anything.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: mhuff on July 11, 2014, 10:41:40 am

Full court press? That style went out in the 90s. It won't work anymore. I heard that in Jumpball.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

code red

Rumor has it he was also dismissed from Jboro for something I will not post here...he is playing for a small school in Southeast Mo.....Seneth MO.  Lots of smoke.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

ricepig

Quote from: code red on February 06, 2015, 06:38:11 pm
Rumor has it he was also dismissed from Jboro for something I will not post here...he is playing for a small school in Southeast Mo.....Seneth MO.  Lots of smoke.
Truth

code red

Quote from: ricepig on February 06, 2015, 06:44:41 pm
Truth
Absolute truth...I work for a district that is currently aware of the situation.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: code red on February 06, 2015, 07:06:44 pm
Absolute truth...I work for a district that is currently aware of the situation.
You can PM me if you want the low down

bjl

Quote from: code red on February 06, 2015, 06:38:11 pm

Lucas Nutt (Dickey's son) is the coach of Senath now.  It' a tiny farm town of about 1500 people, known more for baseball than basketball.  The folks there aren't too high on Nutt so far...

it's only a 2a school.  VD is averaging about 20pts per game there.  They lost last friday night in the tourny.  On the 10th they play their biggest rival, and probably the best competition of the year in a 3a school, Kennett.

yraciv

Quote from: bjl on February 06, 2015, 11:15:15 pm
Lucas Nutt (Dickey's son) is the coach of Senath now.  It' a tiny farm town of about 1500 people, known more for baseball than basketball.  The folks there aren't too high on Nutt so far...

it's only a 2a school.  VD is averaging about 20pts per game there.  They lost last friday night in the tourny.  On the 10th they play their biggest rival, and probably the best competition of the year in a 3a school, Kennett.

I'm not sure how a town of 1500 can have any expectations for a 24 year old coach that was probably handed the job because of his name.  I looked at their record and they seem to be performing pretty well. Now I don't know anything about who they play and I'm assuming Dukes is one of the better players in conference, but best I can tell they don't have any history of success.  I could see how 24 year old coaches of high schoolers anywhere would struggle to get support.

code red

Quote from: bjl on February 06, 2015, 11:15:15 pm

They are actually 3a Missouri.

mhuff

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on February 06, 2015, 06:11:15 pm
Full court press? That style went out in the 90s. It won't work anymore. I heard that in Jumpball.

Well, you know then that is a bunch of umpah.

I may have to drift over and watch him play. Good excuse to go to Holcomb, Mo. and eat ribs or pork steak at Strawberry's....... best unknown place to eat I know.

ricepig

Quote from: mhuff on February 07, 2015, 10:50:59 am
Well, you know then that is a bunch of umpah.

I may have to drift over and watch him play. Good excuse to go to Holcomb, Mo. and eat ribs or pork steak at Strawberry's....... best unknown place to eat I know.

Tell you what, I'll meet you at Strawberry's some time, their pork steaks are the best in the world. The ribs were like anywhere, hit or miss, but I've had the pork steak at least 15 times and have never been disappointed.

mhuff

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2015, 11:33:07 am
Tell you what, I'll meet you at Strawberry's some time, their pork steaks are the best in the world. The ribs were like anywhere, hit or miss, but I've had the pork steak at least 15 times and have never been disappointed.

Sounds like a deal to me...... I would like to see Victor play. I know you have seen him play numerous , numerous times. What level is he?

ricepig

Quote from: mhuff on February 07, 2015, 11:35:40 am
Sounds like a deal to me...... I would like to see Victor play. I know you have seen him play numerous , numerous times. What level is he?

Actually, I've seen him very little, he played at Nettleton. He never got on the court at JHS, transferred in at semester, sat out, and then got kicked off. I always thought he was a low D-I player, perfect for Dickie, haha.

mhuff

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2015, 11:40:41 am
Actually, I've seen him very little, he played at Nettleton. He never got on the court at JHS, transferred in at semester, sat out, and then got kicked off. I always thought he was a low D-I player, perfect for Dickie, haha.

See Dickie all the time.
I was always a Catalina fan. I liked his defense and consistency. I also liked winning..... Memphis State, LSU, Texas Tech.   ASU screwed up when Nutt came aboard.

ricepig

Quote from: mhuff on February 07, 2015, 01:43:54 pm
See Dickie all the time.
I was always a Catalina fan. I liked his defense and consistency. I also liked winning..... Memphis State, LSU, Texas Tech.   ASU screwed up when Nutt came aboard.

Yeah, Cat does the TV broadcasts of the Canes BB games, very insightful. I'm sure you know the reasons he was dismissed, nothing like a Nutt sticking a knife in your back.

mhuff

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2015, 01:46:37 pm
Yeah, Cat does the TV broadcasts of the Canes BB games, very insightful. I'm sure you know the reasons he was dismissed, nothing like a Nutt sticking a knife in your back.

I think he came on board a year or two after my mother-in-law was pres. of board. Life is about who you know sometimes. Et tu Brute.

bjl

Quote from: yraciv on February 06, 2015, 11:45:44 pm
I'm not sure how a town of 1500 can have any expectations for a 24 year old coach that was probably handed the job because of his name.  I looked at their record and they seem to be performing pretty well. Now I don't know anything about who they play and I'm assuming Dukes is one of the better players in conference, but best I can tell they don't have any history of success.  I could see how 24 year old coaches of high schoolers anywhere would struggle to get support.

As i said, they are more of a baseball town.  It's not the success on the basketball court that turn those people off about Lucas.   Also, he wasn't handed the job b/c of his name.  He was given the job b/c of a connection he made somewhere along the way(Coach G Hollifield, who won a state baseball championship as a coach in 1994 for Senath).  It was a reference/foot in the door.

code red

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2015, 11:33:07 am
An absolute diamond in the rough.  The pork steak is just what you say and you'll be taking some home....its quite the portion.

ricepig

Quote from: code red on February 08, 2015, 12:34:03 pm
An absolute diamond in the rough.  The pork steak is just what you say and you'll be taking some home....its quite the portion.

You don't know how big a boy I am, lol....I do agree, it's really a meal for two.

code red

Ricepig....what is the deal right now with Arkansas BB recruiting???  1 commitment Florida killing it....South Carolina killing it...should we be concerned???

ricepig

Quote from: code red on February 12, 2015, 11:50:44 am
Ricepig....what is the deal right now with Arkansas BB recruiting???  1 commitment Florida killing it....South Carolina killing it...should we be concerned???

We only have room for two, depending on Portis and Qualls. I think they want a big, and haven't gotten it done yet. If either, or both of Portis/Qualls goes pro, then we're way behind.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: code red on February 12, 2015, 11:50:44 am

We were only expected to sign 2, and the one we have signed is a Top 50 player.  Many schools have higher rankings based on quantity, though there is a lot of quality in there as well.  If this was a class where we needed to sign 5 I'd be worried.  I am anxious about 2nd player, since it seems we've backed off of Kapita.

code red

I have heard that Portis is now 13th on the NBA board and that their are teams that pick before 13 that have expressed interest.  This is not good.

Hawg Red

Quote from: code red on February 12, 2015, 12:45:23 pm
I have heard that Portis is now 13th on the NBA board and that their are teams that pick before 13 that have expressed interest.  This is not good.

What exactly is "the NBA board?"

Are you trying to tell us that there is a consensus board for all 30 NBA teams, their scouts and GMs?

HoneyNuttPetrinoos

That 16 oz pork steak is the real deal.  I love it when fund raisers come up to me wanting me to buy one.

code red

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 12, 2015, 01:33:48 pm
What exactly is "the NBA board?"

Are you trying to tell us that there is a consensus board for all 30 NBA teams, their scouts and GMs?
I think its pretty clear....he gone.

jgphillips3

Quote from: HoneyNuttPetrinoos on February 12, 2015, 07:41:50 pm
That 16 oz pork steak is the real deal.  I love it when fund raisers come up to me wanting me to buy one.

Y'all have really piqued my curiosity...what is a pork steak?