Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So....We are

Started by porkrindjimmy, February 24, 2018, 09:43:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominicanhog

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 25, 2018, 12:48:26 am
Do you ever stop? you are in every thread crying and whining about Mike.even after this big road win,you are here whining and crying.i am sick of it.go kick rocks.Mike Anderson is going to be the coach here next year.so you may as well stop your whining in every thread.

twistitup

Russia didn't infiltrate our program according to the FBI- Mike is a true American and a loyal Razorback. Up w Mike Down w Putin

Go Hogs

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Randohoggie on February 25, 2018, 12:52:13 am
Jim Calhoun won the NCAA championship in his 27th season as a head coach. Jim Boeheim won the NCAA championship in his 27th season.  Coach K won the NCAA championship in his 16th season.  Jay Wright won the NCAA championship in his 22nd season.  Calipari won the NCAA championship in his 20th season.  Gary Williams won the NCAA championship in his 24th season.  Lute Olsen won the NCAA championship in his 24th season.  Jerry Tarkanian won the NCAA championship in his 22nd season.

You say you know his ceiling, but you don't.  You are just guessing.  No matter what you say, you are claiming you can see the future.  And you can't.

Nice snapshot.  There is a bigger picture, though. The teams from all but one of those coaches won their conference championship the year of their national title.  And the one that didn't (Lute Olsen) had established a championship program with multiple conference titles previously.

conference titles (prior to national title)
Jim Calhoun                        12
Jim Boeheim                        8
Coach K                               2   (coach K was only 33 when he took the Duke job)
Jay Wright                           6
John Calipari                       13
Gary Williams                       4
Lute Olsen                           12
Tark the Shark                     13

Consistent success is a very good predictor of future success.   We've seen the model at Arkansas so we know first hand what it looks like.

HOGINTENNESSEE

February 25, 2018, 08:24:35 am #53 Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 08:37:13 am by HOGINTENNESSEE
Glad to be going to the NCAAt again.

MA is what he is. A very good coach. Not a great coach. His teams always start conference play poorly, but finish strong due to this team's unbelievablely excellent conditioning.

Has a nice class coming in next year with players that should be here 4 years. Looking forward to watching those players grow.

Tweeter

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on February 24, 2018, 09:43:15 pm
20-9, 9-7 in Conference play, won 5 of our last 6 and some of you still want to fire Mike and hire Kermit Davis or some other bum?

Mike's style may be Helter skelter, it may not be pretty. We may blow a game here or there but this team is tough. They are gritty and they grind and they grind and win ballgames. I am proud of this team and I am proud of Mike Anderson. There is no one else I want coaching this team.

And the funny thing is, most of you calling for Mike's head are the same ones who ran over each other to defend our former football coach we ran off last year. Time to stop your nonsense.

We just beat a team that has a cheater on it. We just beat a coach that we were told would run circles around Mike, never mind the fact that he was a bum in the NBA. And we just beat a team who had Opie Pelphrey on the bench.

But y'all keep calling for a firing. LMAO.

PRJ

We beat bama!  Let's sign him a life extension

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 25, 2018, 12:48:26 am
Do you ever stop? you are in every thread crying and whining about Mike.even after this big road win,you are here whining and crying.i am sick of it.go kick rocks.Mike Anderson is going to be the coach here next year.so you may as well stop your whining in every thread.

He's the type of assclown that if Arkansas beat Michigan State in Detroit to go to the sweet 16, he'd find some way to downplay that accomplishment.  Maybe Michigan State was distracted by the FBI, had a couple injured players, etc etc.

Tweeter

We beat a bama team that may not make the tourney.  Let's tap the breaks a little.  Now not disagreeing that it wasn't a good win but let's take a step back and look at the overall here.  Yes mike is a decent coach but we let's be honest. He's not going to take us to final fours and he might get us to a sweet sixteen ever now and then. So if that's our standard here now then yes Mike should be singed to a big extension

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Tweeter on February 25, 2018, 08:39:33 am
We beat a bama team that may not make the tourney.  Let's tap the breaks a little.  Now not disagreeing that it wasn't a good win but let's take a step back and look at the overall here.  Yes mike is a decent coach but we let's be honest. He's not going to take us to final fours and he might get us to a sweet sixteen ever now and then. So if that's our standard here now then yes Mike should be singed to a big extension

Considering we have not been to the sweet 16 since Pat Bradley and Kareem Reid's frosh year, a sweet 16 every now and then would be a very very very welcome sight.

raz1965

Considering Mike recruits without cheating, he has done a great job at Arkansas. If this FBI investigation result in rules changes an penalties for the cheater it could allow Mike to recruit on a level playing field, in such case I believe the sky is the limit for the program.

razorback1829

Quote from: hogsanity on February 25, 2018, 12:32:28 am
All great coaches were once up and comers. Also, very few are saying fire Mike, we are saying he has a ceiling and we have seen it. He's been a HC for 16 seasons overall and almost 7 full here, we know what Mike is. As you said, medium good.

LOL you're a clown. Just eat the crow and get it over with. You're a very derogatory person.

HeathWimp

20-9, 9-7 in Conference play, won 5 of our last 6 and some of you still want to fire Mike and hire Kermit Davis or some other bum?

Mike's style may be Helter skelter, it may not be pretty. We may blow a game here or there but this team is tough. They are gritty and they grind and they grind and win ballgames. I am proud of this team and I am proud of Mike Anderson. There is no one else I want coaching this team.

And the funny thing is, most of you calling for Mike's head are the same ones who ran over each other to defend our former football coach we ran off last year. Time to stop your nonsense.

We just beat a team that has a cheater on it. We just beat a coach that we were told would run circles around Mike, never mind the fact that he was a bum in the NBA. And we just beat a team who had Opie Pelphrey on the bench.

PRJ

Bert forever!   /s
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

hawgball40

Your argument is a strawman. That's not the argument anyone is seriously making on this forum. You just chose that argument as its easy for your simple mind to attack and  discredit.

The argument being made is that mike isn't getting us over the hump. Not winning the big games. We're better than were previously, but not by much. And many think it is due to his poor in game coaching skills and outdated system that wears out his own team. Many teams press, but most don't press for the duration of the game like we seem to want to do. I like him, he's a decent human being, dare i say an upstanding man. But he's hard headed and makes bad in game decisions. like deciding to sub your 3 best players out early in the 1st instead of stepping on the opponents neck and running the gap out to 20 or 30. the kentucky loss is 100% on him and him only. As it is we're 20-9 and likely tourney bound. i'm hopeful to make it to the sweet 16, but we all know how unlikely that is with this coach and particular team.

Fan701

Quote from: hawgball40 on February 25, 2018, 09:23:19 am
Your argument is a strawman. That's not the argument anyone is seriously making on this forum. You just chose that argument as its easy for your simple mind to attack and  discredit.

The argument being made is that mike isn't getting us over the hump. Not winning the big games. We're better than were previously, but not by much. And many think it is due to his poor in game coaching skills and outdated system that wears out his own team. Many teams press, but most don't press for the duration of the game like we seem to want to do. I like him, he's a decent human being, dare i say an upstanding man. But he's hard headed and makes bad in game decisions. like deciding to sub your 3 best players out early in the 1st instead of stepping on the opponents neck and running the gap out to 20 or 30. the kentucky loss is 100% on him and him only. As it is we're 20-9 and likely tourney bound. i'm hopeful to make it to the sweet 16, but we all know how unlikely that is with this coach and particular team.
Everyone wants Arkansas to "get over the hump," but should we factor in the fact that many, probably most of the teams at the top of the heap got there by cheating?  Do we want to win so badly that we'll hire anyone, even a cheater, who can get the results we want?  Yes, Auburn with Bruce Pearl is going to be at the top to the SEC, but do we really want to be #1 so badly that we have assistant coaches under federal indictment?  How should we calculate MA's coaching handicap when he competes in a world of cheaters?  If he had a level playing field where would he rank?

raz1965

Mike has settled for many players since taking over at Arkansas, yet is still a winner. Recruiting has picked up an Mike  can now be more selective which will result in his team's taking it too another level. This team may make a deep tourney run this year.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Snoop Hoggy Hog on February 24, 2018, 09:58:57 pm
He coached the Mavericks to the NBA finals. Granted his coaching cost the Mavs the finals, but he got them there.

Him coaching New Jersey is more of his coaching than what he did at the Mavericks.  It's like any coach that has Lebron James on the team is an automatic nba finals coach or conference finals.  You don't know much about the coach until they take over a bad team and see how they do then. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Randohoggie

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on February 25, 2018, 08:05:56 am
Nice snapshot.  There is a bigger picture, though. The teams from all but one of those coaches won their conference championship the year of their national title.  And the one that didn't (Lute Olsen) had established a championship program with multiple conference titles previously.

conference titles (prior to national title)
Jim Calhoun                        12
Jim Boeheim                        8
Coach K                               2   (coach K was only 33 when he took the Duke job)
Jay Wright                           6
John Calipari                       13
Gary Williams                       4
Lute Olsen                           12
Tark the Shark                     13

Consistent success is a very good predictor of future success.   We've seen the model at Arkansas so we know first hand what it looks like.

That's fair.  I would say, however, that Anderson having Arkansas consistently near the top of the 14 team SEC is also consistent success.  7 years in, we are at that point.  2nd in 14-15, 3rd in 16-17, T-3rd in 17-18 (as of now).  Granted, it is not the same as winning the conference title.  With UK in the middle of their current run of signing 4-5 of the nation's top players each year, though, it's not far off.  I certainly don't think it is something that would allow a person to say Anderson will "never do better."

I've said before, as have others, that we first need to start consistently making the tournament.  We are accomplishing that step right now, and have been an eyelash from being in the Sweet 16 twice.

People can't see the future, as much as they would like to think that they can.

hobhog

You'd have thought we beat the Warriors yesterday. Still not ranked, still a high seed in tournament, and still nothing to speak of accomplishment wise after 7 years. But glad 30% of fanbase is satisfied. Others just want better and that pisses people off for some reason.

BTW- there were no negative posts on here until the MA lovers started calling them out. They get pissed when post poorly about MA, then post asking where they are when they don't....weird.

Fan701

Quote from: Randohoggie on February 25, 2018, 01:34:37 pm
That's fair.  I would say, however, that Anderson having Arkansas consistently near the top of the 14 team SEC is also consistent success.  7 years in, we are at that point.  2nd in 14-15, 3rd in 16-17, T-3rd in 17-18 (as of now).  Granted, it is not the same as winning the conference title.  With UK in the middle of their current run of signing 4-5 of the nation's top players each year, though, it's not far off.  I certainly don't think it is something that would allow a person to say Anderson will "never do better."

I've said before, as have others, that we first need to start consistently making the tournament.  We are accomplishing that step right now, and have been an eyelash from being in the Sweet 16 twice.

People can't see the future, as much as they would like to think that they can.
After the FBI scandal is over will Calipari still be getting a whole team of 5-star players every year?  Will he still be coach at Kentucky?  Will Bruce Pearl still be at Auburn, Avery Johnson at Alabama, Ben Howland at Miss. St., etc.?  I don't know the answer to that, really.  But it could be that very soon Anderson will be facing a much more level playing field recruiting.  There might not be in the future as big a talent gap between the honest schools and the cheating ones.  We'll see.

razorpimp

Quote from: Tweeter on February 25, 2018, 08:39:33 am

Whether Bama makes the tourney or not does not take away the high quality of this team at their place!

At home, bama has beaten A&M (when they were hot), Auburn (full strength), Rhode Island (who is #18), Oklahoma (when they were red hot), and @Florida.

It was a very, very good win

razorpimp

Quote from: hobhog on February 25, 2018, 01:51:05 pm
You'd have thought we beat the Warriors yesterday. Still not ranked, still a high seed in tournament, and still nothing to speak of accomplishment wise after 7 years. But glad 30% of fanbase is satisfied. Others just want better and that pisses people off for some reason.

BTW- there were no negative posts on here until the MA lovers started calling them out. They get pissed when post poorly about MA, then post asking where they are when they don't....weird.

+100....poking the bear

FineAsSwine

mykidsdad

You according to you we lost to a jr high. Don't get pissed off when people call out people who come here with their propaganda after a loss and don't show up after a win. That is not what a fan does, that is what a TROLL does and therefore if you are going to be a TROLL, expect to be treated as one.

raz1965

Many hogville posters are like the 7 blind men that touched the elephant in different spots and then past judgement as to what the elephant was like, with one exception , those men believed what they was say and were not pushing agendas.

forrest city joe

Quote from: hawgball40 on February 25, 2018, 09:23:19 am

O good grief.why don't you get lost and go kick rocks or something. i am sick and tired of your whining and crying about Mike.

forrest city joe

Nope. haters like you get pissed when the Hogs and Mike Anderson are winning.which says it all about you.Mike Anderson is going to be the coach here.and it matters not if haters like you like it.

Randohoggie

People like you just don't get it.  People aren't pissed that anyone "wants better."  Everyone wants better.  Always. 

Reasonable people realize, however, that 24/7 bitching and moaning in the middle of a season is pointless and annoying.

Oliver

PRJ

I want Mike gone yesterday but I wanted Bielema gone even more.  Mikes never going to do anything meaningful here.  But he'll probably get us in that 8-10 seed range in the NCAAT every 3 out of 5 years.  Thats average and sad enough for Arkansas

Mjs84

With all the scandals looming large on college basketball, let's give Good E Guy Mike some credit

TeufelHog

Quote from: razorpimp on February 24, 2018, 10:15:00 pm
I'll keep calling it like I see it....Mike had a great game plan tonight and the team won.  The game plan against Kentucky was bad and the team lost.....

Say what you want but the ceiling on Mike is low....I hope he proves me wrong!  And I'll keep and continue to support the athletic department no matter who the coach is.  It's one thing to "voice" your displeasure on a message board but still write those checks to the razorback foundation and alumni group

I'm in this camp.  CMA is a good man, no doubt.  He doesn't cheat as far as we know and our program is in good shape.  Time has past his/Nolan's style of coaching though.  Do not think he will get an SEC or NCAA Championship here.  Seven years and "zero hardware" makes my point.  His/his team's continual inability to win the big game drives me nuts!  Bottom line . . . there are better coaches out there.  We could do better.  Unfortunately, CMA will leave/retire when he wants too because of Arkansas' history with Nolan.  Winning championships is TOUGH BUSINESS.  I get it.  Just do not think CMA gets it done here.  "Mediocre Mike" or "Average Anderson" is reflected in his record.  Here is how I wish he would improve his position/chances . . . IMPROVE HIS ASSISTANT COACHING STAFF!  Bring in new blood dedicated to the fundamentals.  It's time to clean house WRT his staff.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: TeufelHog on February 25, 2018, 02:57:00 pm
I'm in this camp.  CMA is a good man, no doubt.  He doesn't cheat as far as we know and our program is in good shape.  Time has past his/Nolan's style of coaching though.  Do not think he will get an SEC or NCAA Championship here.  Seven years and "zero hardware" makes my point.  His/his team's continual inability to win the big game drives me nuts!  Bottom line . . . there are better coaches out there.  We could do better.  Unfortunately, CMA will leave/retire when he wants too because of Arkansas' history with Nolan.  Winning championships is TOUGH BUSINESS.  I get it.  Just do not think CMA gets it done here.  "Mediocre Mike" or "Average Anderson" is reflected in his record.  Here is how I wish he would improve his position/chances . . . IMPROVE HIS ASSISTANT COACHING STAFF!  Bring in new blood dedicated to the fundamentals.  It's time to clean house WRT his staff.

Assistant coaches changing I fully agree with.

PRJ

hawgfan4life

Quote from: Randohoggie on February 25, 2018, 12:52:13 am
Jim Calhoun won the NCAA championship in his 27th season as a head coach. Jim Boeheim won the NCAA championship in his 27th season.  Coach K won the NCAA championship in his 16th season.  Jay Wright won the NCAA championship in his 22nd season.  Calipari won the NCAA championship in his 20th season.  Gary Williams won the NCAA championship in his 24th season.  Lute Olsen won the NCAA championship in his 24th season.  Jerry Tarkanian won the NCAA championship in his 22nd season.

You say you know his ceiling, but you don't.  You are just guessing.  No matter what you say, you are claiming you can see the future.  And you can't.

Best info on thread in a while.  Too bad this can't be automatically posted to a few posters comments.

hobhog

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 25, 2018, 02:31:07 pm
Nope. haters like you get pissed when the Hogs and Mike Anderson are winning.which says it all about you.Mike Anderson is going to be the coach here.and it matters not if haters like you like it.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Randohoggie

Quote from: Oliver on February 25, 2018, 02:50:14 pm
I want Mike gone yesterday but I wanted Bielema gone even more.  Mikes never going to do anything meaningful here.  But he'll probably get us in that 8-10 seed range in the NCAAT every 3 out of 5 years.  Thats average and sad enough for Arkansas

How about 3 out of every 4 years, which is where we are now.  And the seed was a 5 in 2014-15.  And likely to be higher than 8 this year.  So, aside from that not being average, your statement isn't even correct.

You're just another one who thinks you can see the future.

AHiD

Quote from: Oliver on February 25, 2018, 02:50:14 pm

By what standard is that *average*
My name...is Jerruh

Randohoggie

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on February 25, 2018, 04:57:45 pm
By what standard is that *average*

The term "average" on this tire fire of a board is anyone outside of the Sweet 16.

AHiD

Quote from: Randohoggie on February 25, 2018, 05:00:16 pm
The term "average" on this tire fire of a board is anyone outside of the Sweet 16.

+1
My name...is Jerruh

Oliver

Randohoggie

Quote from: Oliver on February 25, 2018, 05:06:39 pm
By what standard is it not?

2 of the last 3 years, and likely 3 out of 4 years after this season, we have been one of the final 32 teams playing.  That's roughly the top 10%.

That work as a standard for you?

golfinpig

Quote from: widespreadsooie on February 24, 2018, 10:19:03 pm
Millennials are the worst!
You would be wrong. I'm 67 and never thought he was a good hire. I will always support the hogs but I believe we could do better.

hobhog

Quote from: Randohoggie on February 25, 2018, 05:09:09 pm
2 of the last 3 years, and likely 3 out of 4 years after this season, we have been one of the final 32 teams playing.  That's roughly the top 10%.

That work as a standard for you?

No.

AHiD

Quote from: Oliver on February 25, 2018, 05:06:39 pm
By what standard is it not?

First of all, most teams rarely if ever make the tournament.
My name...is Jerruh

hobhog

Quote from: Randohoggie on February 25, 2018, 05:00:16 pm

I'd say that is accurate. Once in a blue moon too much to ask?

Randohoggie

Quote from: hobhog on February 25, 2018, 05:18:37 pm
I'd say that is accurate. Once in a blue moon too much to ask?

Be in the top 5% of teams in the country or you are "average."  Tire fire.

That aside, Arkansas has been right there in that top 5-10% in 3 of the last 4 years.  Yes, they lost a down to the wire game against UNC that kept them from making the Sweet 16.  You can ignore how close they have been and that they are right at that level right now, but it shows you don't really care about the reality of the situation.

Randohoggie

Quote from: hobhog on February 25, 2018, 05:16:50 pm
No.

So, top 10%, bordering on top 5% is "average" to you.  And you morons complain when people call you haters.

AHiD

Quote from: Randohoggie on February 25, 2018, 05:24:06 pm
So, top 10%, bordering on top 5% is "average" to you.  And you morons complain when people call you haters.

Seriously. Imagine if people wanted a football coach fired for being in the top 15 in the country. Because that's the comparison.
My name...is Jerruh

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: IronMountainHog on February 24, 2018, 10:09:14 pm
And Pelphrey still looked lost and like a deer in the headlights. Anyone who was against his firing here needs kicked in the jewels.

I am pretty sure it was unanimous on firing Pel.

We should all be happy with what 2 NCAA wins in 7 Years..Yeah we are rolling like 10 seniors on this team and we are going to sneak into the NCAA tourney.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Randohoggie on February 25, 2018, 05:23:06 pm
Be in the top 5% of teams in the country or you are "average."  Tire fire.

That aside, Arkansas has been right there in that top 5-10% in 3 of the last 4 years.  Yes, they lost a down to the wire game against UNC that kept them from making the Sweet 16.  You can ignore how close they have been and that they are right at that level right now, but it shows you don't really care about the reality of the situation.

You shouldn't say anything about reality..You are nothing but an almost man. If Mike doesn't go two deep atleast with all these Seniors then he needs to be on the hot seat and next year with or without Gafford is going to be bad. I am sure he will schedule enough cup cakes to prop up his record.

Flat out this is his year. Put up or shut up. I sure hope he puts up and finishes with a good run in the NCAA.

Randohoggie

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on February 25, 2018, 05:47:12 pm
You shouldn't say anything about reality..You are nothing but an almost man. If Mike doesn't go two deep atleast with all these Seniors then he needs to be on the hot seat and next year with or without Gafford is going to be bad. I am sure he will schedule enough cup cakes to prop up his record.

Flat out this is his year. Put up or shut up. I sure hope he puts up and finishes with a good run in the NCAA.

Well, at least he knows where he stands now that AlmaHog2011 has spoken.  Speaking if which, what a darn town, Alma.

Oliver

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on February 25, 2018, 05:18:26 pm
First of all, most teams rarely if ever make the tournament.

So what you are saying is that it's all relative.  There is no defined standard. 

Randohoggie

Quote from: Oliver on February 25, 2018, 05:48:36 pm
So what you are saying is that it's all relative.  There is no defined standard.

That's not even close to what he said.