Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long

Started by razorbackfaninar, November 09, 2017, 04:47:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

EastexHawg

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on November 09, 2017, 10:45:55 pm
The football program, at that point, was in shambles because of Bobby Petrino.  And, no, unless he has trademarked his name, they could use it in a t-shirt without his permission.  You hate Jeff Long for firing Bobby Petrino so your view of things is twisted because of that one fact. 

Wrong.  A Hogville board member/poster had a t-shirt that he made up and was wearing while tailgating seized and was threatened with having his season tickets revoked for producing unauthorized merchandise.  There is absolutely no way t-shirts were produced, distributed, and worn all around the campus and stadium without the consent of the athletic department.  They weren't secret and they weren't produced on the black market.  Long knew about them and allowed them.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on November 09, 2017, 10:45:55 pm
The football program, at that point, was in shambles because of Bobby Petrino.  And, no, unless he has trademarked his name, they could use it in a t-shirt without his permission.  You hate Jeff Long for firing Bobby Petrino so your view of things is twisted because of that one fact. 

Actually you can't.  His name or image is trademarked as an employee of the University.  There were shirts made with Houston Nutt's name on it that the University threatened the makers because it was trademarked under the University.  There was a shirt that was made that just had the image of Nutt and the University again threatened the maker with trademark infringement because HdN's image was on the shirt and it belonged to the University.

So, technically they did need his permission.  The shirts actually appeared right after the BP firing.  Long might have chosen to not threaten the makers of it...or they got his permission. 
Retired Radio Host

ShadowHawg

Is the word long trademarked by the university?

If not, unless the shirt had a Razorback or something else belonging to the school then permission wasn't required.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 09, 2017, 10:59:11 pm
Is the word long trademarked by the university?

If not, unless the shirt had a Razorback or something else belonging to the school then permission wasn't required.

The word/name "LONG" was highlighted.  It would have been an interesting court case that probably would have gone the way of the University.  It was evident what the intent was.

The minor league hockey team they tried to start in Little Rock called the Razor-blades was shot down by the University for being too close to their mascot name.  So...there is that.
Retired Radio Host

Three and Snout

Jesus guys, there is always the googles...

https://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2012/04/17/jeff-longs-firing-of-petrino-brings-125-million-donation

Read at the very bottom.  Unless John Diamond was in on the tshirt conspiracy...

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hog911 on November 09, 2017, 06:03:14 pm
An AD that claims "we are not a win at all cost program" should immediately be fired! It's his job to care about winning!

This is the only answer you need(without all the head banging)coupled with the fact we went and became a "can't win at any cost program. 

Does the OP need enlightened as to the fact that AD's do get fired for various reasons.   It's not a lifetime gig.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Three and Snout on November 09, 2017, 11:05:02 pm

https://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2012/04/17/jeff-longs-firing-of-petrino-brings-125-million-donation

Read at the very bottom.  Unless John Diamond was in on the tshirt conspiracy...

Whoot there it is...Razorback logo and all.  Some of us have LONG memories.

Next.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on November 09, 2017, 11:03:56 pm
The word/name "LONG" was highlighted.  It would have been an interesting court case that probably would have gone the way of the University.  It was evident what the intent was.

The minor league hockey team they tried to start in Little Rock called the Razor-blades was shot down by the University for being too close to their mascot name.  So...there is that.

Highlighted, underlined, quotations, all caps it doesn't change that Long is also a word.

Unless the university has trademarked the word long, simply using the word in any context is free for the taking.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Three and Snout on November 09, 2017, 11:05:02 pm

Correct that to read $1.25 million. Huge difference.

EastexHawg

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 09, 2017, 11:19:55 pm
Highlighted, underlined, quotations, all caps it doesn't change that Long is also a word.

Unless the university has trademarked the word long, simply using the word in any context is free for the taking.

Are you really this dense?  Click on the link three posts above yours.  See that Razorback logo on the shirt shown in the article, right above "Integrity Goes A LONG Way"?  Is that running Hog trademarked?

Just quit while you are behind.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 09, 2017, 11:23:33 pm
Are you really this dense?  Click on the link three posts above yours.  See that Razorback logo on the shirt shown in the article, right above "Integrity Goes A LONG Way"?  Is that running Hog trademarked?

Just quit while you are behind.

Read my original post. I cover that using the logo would require permission.  But using the word Long was not a trademark violation, which was the assertion of previous posters.

They were claiming Long had to provide permission for his name to have been used. Turns out it was bs, like many of your posts.

EastexHawg

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 09, 2017, 11:29:19 pm
Read my original post. I cover that using the logo would require permission.  But using the word Long was not a trademark violation, which was the assertion of previous posters.

They were claiming Long had to provide permission for his name to have been used. Turns out it was bs, like many of your posts.

You don't get to create imaginary scenarios so you can pretend you were right.  The t-shirts have a Razorback logo on them, meaning they were authorized by Look At Me, I'm The Man Jeff.  Period.  End of story.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 09, 2017, 11:29:19 pm

I'm sorry.  I only saw YOU mention Long's name in the post I responded to.  I gave you a case of where a name was used "Razor" that was shot down by the University. 

If you weren't the one that started the whole assertion that it was just about the name, then I apologize. It is hard to say others were just talking about the name, when you are the one that first brought it up.  Again, if I missed something I apologize.

Retired Radio Host

PorkRinds

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on November 09, 2017, 10:01:13 pm
Unless you have been caught up in the Jeff Long machine...

Unless you have personally dealt with his arrogance...

Unless you have seen how much he truly lacks integrity...

Then you just don't know the reason why so many will be glad to see him gone.

Spill the beans. Tell us what happened. What did he do to you? What has shown his lack of integrity to you personally? What exactly is the Jeff Long machine?

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 09, 2017, 11:39:15 pm
Spill the beans. Tell us what happened. What did he do to you? What has shown his lack of integrity to you personally? What exactly is the Jeff Long machine?

Man, I've posted so much about my experiences with Jeff Long on here...

Retired Radio Host

Paulsooie

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on November 09, 2017, 10:42:49 pm
Yes.  A "fact" invented by someone on a message board.  In reality, this never happened but, it fits the narrative of Jeff Long haters so it must be true.

Actually I seem to remember Phil mentioning it during a game he was commentating on.  But hey I don't hate Long, really don't have an opinion on him one way or the other. Actually don't really think about him
If it ain't broke, break it and see what happens!

PorkRinds

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on November 10, 2017, 12:06:30 am
Man, I've posted so much about my experiences with Jeff Long on here...

Just a few specifics. I haven't read much of it I guess.

Paulsooie

If it ain't broke, break it and see what happens!

moses_007

This front page article in today's Democrat-Gazette is enough proof Jeff Long is in trouble.

Pork Twain

There is no logic behind it.  All they have is one bad contract that looked good at the beginning and the fact that he is not from Arkansas.  After listening to people on here for so many years, I am thankful he is from outside the state.  Way too many on here came from relations between cousins.  Ironically, the same guys complaining the loudest now, were complaining about JFB, the MSM and the GOBN that ran things back in the day.  The only thing that is consistent here is the cry for someone to lose their job.

I am not sure of this magical AD is out there with Arkansas roots and never makes a bad hire exists, but if you have a problem with what Long has done, you would likely be unhappy with most ADs out there.  If that was the case, JFB was a failure based on Kines, Crowe, Ford, HDN, Heath, and Pel.  Everyone is allowed to make a hiring mistake here and there.  Look no further than aTm (Franchione, Sherman & Sumlin), LSU (Orgeron), Florida (Muschamp & Durkin) and Tennessee (Kiffin, Dooley & Jones).  We are far from alone here.  As for the CBP disaster, it was awful and I am sure Long wishes it would have never have happened and he would have never been forced to make the choices he did, but choices I seriously doubt he made without input from many.  I figure the toughest decision for those most critical of him is whether to have grits or oatmeal for breakfast.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

CareBear

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 09, 2017, 07:34:41 pm
Let me tell you something else:  These Jeff Long Minion Trolls KNOW that their boss is a fraud.  They are paid propagandists, and they have done their job well, for years.

Word to the wise.
I agree. My goodness gracious this guy is greasy. I despise fake smiles & fake people. We need both of them gone asap. Bert has to go after this year or that stadium will be a sad, sad sight to see. WTH could Bert possibly come up with during the offseason to give the fans hope? 5yr sample. It's not coming. It is uncommon...to lose so much! He's real bad at coaching. Like comically bad!

LZH

Fwiw, I was told by a family member tonite that JL and BB are both in hot water. I don't necessarily believe it, especially on Long's part, but that is what I was told and he would have heard it from somebody pretty close to the situation.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 09, 2017, 10:18:25 pm
Naahhh. That's probably happened before...but most of these regulars that chest thump to this Jeff Long limp wristed culture are progressive liberals that love to see the program burn to the ground in the name of progressiveness.

More specifically, in this case winning doesn't matter, it's "secondary"...we do things "the right way" and have pity on programs like Alabama who take winning so seriously. The "student athlete" and academia are all that is important and easily trump whatever the scoreboard says on Saturdays. People that want to see the program win a lot of games are simple half-wits.

Thats one of the most idiotic posts I've ever read. You can't seriously believe any of that BS. If you do you should seek professional help.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Uh-Oh. Jeff Long's incredulous integrity that he's propped himself up onto a shiny tower is about to take big hit.  Something that gets nearly any CEO of a Fortune 500 company fired is coming out.

We'll see if any media hacks have the guts to report it.  Def. interested to see who in the media has integrity themselves.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

hog911

Quote from: swineology on November 09, 2017, 07:43:05 pm
When's the last time you walked the campus?
Haven't you seen the new facilites that were needed to keep up with the SEC?

JL is well respected in the NCAA world, but the GOBN doesn't want to hear the truth. They're pissed because they can't drink Coke and meddle in the AD.

Yup, fire his A$$ and burn this program down again.

That'll fix it.

Please stop generalizing and start naming names of his admirers! Also, besides accepting failure, what other accomplishment couldn't have been done by a different AD? I can tell you it's not hard to get big bank donations for the renovations and new facilities for our sports programs and yes, I do know what I'm talking about!  He has done nothing more that self promote and convince simple minded people that he's doing a great job!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 09, 2017, 10:52:35 pm
Wrong.  A Hogville board member/poster had a t-shirt that he made up and was wearing while tailgating seized and was threatened with having his season tickets revoked for producing unauthorized merchandise.  There is absolutely no way t-shirts were produced, distributed, and worn all around the campus and stadium without the consent of the athletic department.  They weren't secret and they weren't produced on the black market.  Long knew about them and allowed them.

Don't forget about the guy that was told he couldn't ride his brand of utility golf cart outside the stadium one time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on November 10, 2017, 03:42:27 am
Uh-Oh. Jeff Long's incredulous integrity that he's propped himself up onto a shiny tower is about to take big hit.  Something that gets nearly any CEO of a Fortune 500 company fired is coming out.

We'll see if any media hacks have the guts to report it.  Def. interested to see who in the media has integrity themselves.

Actually CEO's a lot of times DO get use of the company plane for personal stuff. Sometimes even after they leave the company.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on November 09, 2017, 10:39:16 pm
What a festering turd of a post!

FACT:  The Jeff Long haters hate him because he fired Bobby Petrino.  That is all you need to know.  Anything good that has happened has been because of anyone else and anything bad that's happened has been because the evil AD  came to Arkansas with the sole purpose of destroying Razorback athletics since that is the job of an Athletics Director.  These Jeff Long haters also wear tin foil hats.

Doosh post, as you don't know the difference between fact and opinion.

I, for one, thought Petrino's firing was the right thing to do.  There was too much baggage with all that went down.

Jeff Long needs to be fired.  See?  your "fact" was just proven to be yet another big pile of steaming horseshart on Hogville.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Three and Snout

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 10, 2017, 06:32:52 am
Don't forget about the guy that was told he couldn't ride his brand of utility golf cart outside the stadium one time.

I thought that involved Shibest and was during Nutt's tenure.

Kevin

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 09, 2017, 08:57:31 pm
Why should anyone be able to talk to the AD any time they feel like it?

you think jerry jones can?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jkstock04

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 10, 2017, 03:17:00 am
Thats one of the most idiotic posts I've ever read. You can't seriously believe any of that BS. If you do you should seek professional help.
Oh I believe it 100%. I pay attention to what is posted, who posts what..and that is my opinion. It is much more plausible than Jeff Long paying plants to go online and fight his fights.

I do appreciate the concern on the professional help though! Thanks.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

WilsonHog

Quote from: LZH on November 10, 2017, 12:35:09 am
Fwiw, I was told by a family member tonite that JL and BB are both in hot water. I don't necessarily believe it, especially on Long's part, but that is what I was told and he would have heard it from somebody pretty close to the situation.

Your family member sounds like he knows what he is talking about.

colbs

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 10, 2017, 12:26:48 am
There is no logic behind it.  All they have is one bad contract that looked good at the beginning and the fact that he is not from Arkansas.  After listening to people on here for so many years, I am thankful he is from outside the state.  Way too many on here came from relations between cousins.  Ironically, the same guys complaining the loudest now, were complaining about JFB, the MSM and the GOBN that ran things back in the day.  The only thing that is consistent here is the cry for someone to lose their job.

I am not sure of this magical AD is out there with Arkansas roots and never makes a bad hire exists, but if you have a problem with what Long has done, you would likely be unhappy with most ADs out there.  If that was the case, JFB was a failure based on Kines, Crowe, Ford, HDN, Heath, and Pel.  Everyone is allowed to make a hiring mistake here and there.  Look no further than aTm (Franchione, Sherman & Sumlin), LSU (Orgeron), Florida (Muschamp & Durkin) and Tennessee (Kiffin, Dooley & Jones).  We are far from alone here.  As for the CBP disaster, it was awful and I am sure Long wishes it would have never have happened and he would have never been forced to make the choices he did, but choices I seriously doubt he made without input from many.  I figure the toughest decision for those most critical of him is whether to have grits or oatmeal for breakfast.
Good Post

hawgon

It would be easier to take and give credit for whatever good Jeff Long may have done if there wasn't a virtual full court propaganda press on everything from all athletic department sources and on the message boards.

Jeff Long isn't some sort of godlike AD.  He might be adequate to good, but business wise, he isn't doing anything that most other SEC ADs aren't doing.  Pretty much everyone in the conference makes a lot of money and has nice facilities.  No need to get into the back and forth on his hires.  I will say this though, every other AD in the conference with the exception of Kentucky is judged by the football program almost exclusively.

But anyway, it seems that whenever there is the slightest criticism of him, posters come out of the woodwork to defend him.  And mostly, they do it in a very condescending and immature way. 

oldhog63

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 10, 2017, 06:34:48 am
Actually CEO's a lot of times DO get use of the company plane for personal stuff. Sometimes even after they leave the company.
But they are supposed to pay for that use at the rate as if they were flying commercial.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: HogPharmer on November 09, 2017, 05:59:06 pm
But they were football coaches?

Petrino is...the other two, not so much.

Six one way, half a dozen of the other.

And it looks like this point is moot. Bad hires pales in comparison to being a straight up white collar crook.

PRJ

EastexHawg

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 10, 2017, 08:33:39 am
Petrino is...the other two, not so much.

Six one way, half a dozen of the other.

And it looks like this point is moot. Bad hires pales in comparison to being a straight up white collar crook.

PRJ

If it happens this would be even better than Long being fired because he wouldn't know a real football coach if he tripped over him.

Hogwild

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 09, 2017, 04:47:31 pm
I may get run off of this board for this, but I have asked in a few different threads and haven't gotten a good answer.  I am still not clear on why we are so hot to fire Jeff Long.  What is it exactly that he is to have done that we want him fired for? 

In Long's ten years at the helm:

-We do not have a winning record in conference play, in both football and basketball.
-The athletic department is dead last in the conference in academics.
-He gave a coach with 2-14 conference record a contract with a $15.5 million buyout.

Those are 3 of the reason I believe we would be better off with someone else running the show.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: commonnonsense on November 09, 2017, 05:29:35 pm
He has made three bad hires in the most important sport he's over.

Petrino won games but he was an ethical risk when he was hired and he wrecked the program along with his bike. It was an embarrassment for the University.

JL Smith is extremely obvious. Not sure who he could have got instead but no one could have been worse.

Bielema isn't embarrassing the University off the field but he is on the field.

He's really 0-3 in hiring football coaches. Plus then firing Petrino, add on Mike Anderson being slow to turn around basketball, Dykes, and adding 3k seats for $160mm.

He's brought in money but how much of that was SECN money? 

Plus he used firing Petrino to vault himself into the limelight, when firing Petrino angered 50% of the fan base.

He's below average at best.

OK I'll give you my opinion of these in order  I thought Both Petrino and Bielema were good Hires at the time.  Petrino is an above average coach and had some success here, it didn't end well.  John L Smith was bad but anyone would have been bad. I cant remember the last time an interim coach did anything of note, someone else may but I think anyone at that point was going to be a disaster.  Bielema in my opinion was a great hire at the time.  It didn't  pan out.  I think Mike Anderson was a great hire as well.  He started slower than we would have liked but he seems to be going the right way now, so i don't get that issue either. I am of the opinion that firing Petrino was the right move. I thought at the time and I still think that Long handled it about as well as anyone and the university came out of what could have ben a reall mess looking fairly decent  I follow Razorback sports as much as anyone I don't recall a lot of the grandstanding that others seem to from Long at this time, but perhaps I missed it. He has doubled contributions to 26 million and ticket sales are up 10 million, these are aside from the SEC TV mone, any way those are my opinions on it

The NewEra

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 10, 2017, 08:58:09 am
OK I'll give you my opinion of these in order  I thought Both Petrino and Bielema were good Hires at the time.  Petrino is an above average coach and had some success here, it didn't end well.  John L Smith was bad but anyone would have been bad. I cant remember the last time an interim coach did anything of note, someone else may but I think anyone at that point was going to be a disaster.  Bielema in my opinion was a great hire at the time.  It didn't  pan out.  I think Mike Anderson was a great hire as well.  He started slower than we would have liked but he seems to be going the right way now, so i don't get that issue either. I am of the opinion that firing Petrino was the right move. I thought at the time and I still think that Long handled it about as well as anyone and the university came out of what could have ben a reall mess looking fairly decent  I follow Razorback sports as much as anyone I don't recall a lot of the grandstanding that others seem to from Long at this time, but perhaps I missed it. He has doubled contributions to 26 million and ticket sales are up 10 million, these are aside from the SEC TV mone, any way those are my opinions on it

I'm a program outsider.  I see most of the above the same way you do.  Here are a few exceptions though.  On the John L. Smith situation I think Jeff failed to do his homework on that and we spent an entire year being embarrassed by Smith when Long could have muzzled him or relieved him.  Jeff should have looked for someone like a Ken Hatfield or such to manage the program for one year until a hire was made.  Another issue is the hiring of Jimmy Dykes.  He was not qualified and he was allowed to bring negative attention to the program with the National Anthem protest and subsequently allowing a player to transfer to a rival school in our division.  Jeff initially supported that protest and later after the fallout decided it was not the right side to be on.

There are others on this board that are much closer to the program than me, who I trust have the best interest of the program as a whole in mind such as Lanny who despise Long for a number of reasons.  From what I've read by those I trust, Long has a heavy handed approach and he doesn't listen to the fan base.  Nor does he place the emphasis on winning football games that Razorback fans across the state do.  It would be great to see a compiled list of things that many insiders do know about Long's interactions and dealings that make them so turned off on him.  You just get bits and pieces of information here and there.  So, I'm still sitting on the fence about Long, but if I'm leaning any direction it's to the side of those who know the inside of the program better than me and want him removed.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Jimbob111 on November 09, 2017, 05:29:46 pm
I hear this. A lot. From elitists who think they sit above the great unwashed masses.  It is about anger and it is about accountability.  Everyone is angry, both that Long has sat silent so long while the Razorbacks have endured the worst seasons in recent history and that no corrective action has been taken.I don't know what Jeff Long could say publicly at this point that is going to make me or any one else feel better short of firing the coach, and I'm of the opinion that it's is generally not a good idea to fire a coach mid season.  I don't want an AD whether it is log or anyone else who is constantly spouting off in the media, and everyone already complains that Jeff Long tries too hard to get the limelight for himself

Everyone should be angry. This team has underachieved and yet the coach has been paid a premium salary given to accomplished--and successful--coaches. It is thrown around that 4 to 5 million a year is a common salary "at all P5 schools" and this is not the case. Maybe the top 10 P5 schools but not all of them by any stretch of the imagination.He's paid what his contract states which was approved by the trustees, and it's 8th in the conference, football coaches contracts aren't adjusted based on wins and losses, they may get bonuses

So Jeff Long is under fire for allowing Bielema to continue to flounder, to have the worst-coached teams in Razorback history and to lose by the widest margins, with the longest conference losing record in school history,I would say in 15 and up till the last 2 games of last year Long had every indication that Bielema was going in the right diretion, I mean should he have fired him after losing the last two games last year in the way that he did?  This season has been disastrous no dooubt but since we don't knw oyet if Log is going to fire Bielema at the end of the season I don't know if this comment is fair  among other infractions.What other infractions? All the while, Bielema is collecting a salary paid to premium coaches while coaching a program that is not a top 10, top 15, top 25, top 50, top 75, or even top 100 team in the NCAA. The Razorbacks are one of the worst 25 teams in the entire NCAA, whether you rank it by FBS or division I or whatever.

Jeff Long should be fired for presiding over a football program that, 5 years into Bielema's regime, is the worst ranked team, worst coached team, worst playing team, and worst chance to improve team under Beliema's leadership. Jeff Long has tied his own career to his integrity hire and it has backfired on him.

Jeff Long is paid to run a business not be a friend. He had failed at running the most visible portion of that business.i think by just about any metric you want to use that the business side of the U of A athletics is doing very well Lots of CEOs get fired for what it appears they have done rather than for what they have actually accomplished and he should be too. If you can't see that, you obviously don't read enough Wall Street Journal. It's as much about what he appeared to do, or not do, than what he did.

So if I gather what you are saying you think Jeff Long should be fired because the football team is under performing

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 10, 2017, 09:23:22 am
So if I gather what you are saying you think Jeff Long should be fired because the football team is under performing

Yes.... the football program is the cash cow of the department. Not women's soccer or gender neutral fencing. It's football. Last 3 hires have been failures.

Plus he is a crook.

PRJ

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: The NewEra on November 10, 2017, 09:19:59 am
I'm a program outsider.  I see most of the above the same way you do.  Here are a few exceptions though.  On the John L. Smith situation I think Jeff failed to do his homework on that and we spent an entire year being embarrassed by Smith when Long could have muzzled him or relieved him.  Jeff should have looked for someone like a Ken Hatfield or such to manage the program for one year until a hire was made.We can agree to disagree on that one.  I'm with you in that the hire was bad but i think any hire would have been bad, I won't lie now and say I didn't convince myself at the time tha tjohn L. smith could get it done.  I looked at all the positives like how the players loved him, he had been a semi successful D-1 coach, he knew Petrino's system It was a disaster, but the situation was untenable  Another issue is the hiring of Jimmy Dykes.  He was not qualified and he was allowed to bring negative attention to the program with the National Anthem protest and subsequently allowing a player to transfer to a rival school in our division.I thought the Jimmy Dykes hire was a publicity stunt, but again I am not going to pretend like I know anything about the Women's basketball program.  I didn't mind then if they knelt and I wouldn't care now one way or the other, It just doesn't bother me.  Maybe Jeff Long handled that badly I'd have to take your word as I am not as familiar with that situation, but yes the Dykes hire seemed Ill advised.   Jeff initially supported that protest and later after the fallout decided it was not the right side to be on.

There are others on this board that are much closer to the program than me, who I trust have the best interest of the program as a whole in mind such as Lanny who despise Long for a number of reasons.  From what I've read by those I trust, Long has a heavy handed approach and he doesn't listen to the fan base. I do not want in any way an AD that is heavily influenced by our fan base  Nor does he place the emphasis on winning football games that Razorback fans across the state do I don't know what this means.  People keep saying it, but when you say it what do you want him to do differently in this regard, I mean what should he do to show that he cares about winning football games as much as people across the state (not being smart I am really asking).  It would be great to see a compiled list of things that many insiders do know about Long's interactions and dealings that make them so turned off on him.  You just get bits and pieces of information here and there.  So, I'm still sitting on the fence about Long, but if I'm leaning any direction it's to the side of those who know the inside of the program better than me and want him removeddo you mean people that work inside the department?.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 10, 2017, 09:28:23 am
Yes.... the football program is the cash cow of the department. Not women's soccer or gender neutral fencing. It's football. Last 3 hires have been failures.

Plus he is a crook.

PRJ

The department is making more money than ever in it's history though.  How is he a crook? (again I am not being smart I am legitimately asking)

old_school_hawg

Quote from: phadedhawg on November 09, 2017, 04:56:47 pm
Anger, there's too much anger that we've lost football games.  Firing the coach won't release enough anger so the unwashed masses want to fire the athletic director too. 

Objectively he's done a fair job and in a sane world his job would only be threatened if he refused to fire Bielema after this season but we don't live in that world. 

There's also a neo-confederate bias that doesn't want an AD who was born in a non slave state

You watch too much mainstream media news. Unlatch from the Kool-Aid teat from which you suckle and join the rest of us in the real world. You're just making stuff up now and most of this board is undoubtedly embarrassed for you.
"I tried being reasonable. I didn't like it."-Clint Eastwood

"Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 10, 2017, 09:35:36 am
The department is making more money than ever in it's history though.  How is he a crook? (again I am not being smart I am legitimately asking)

It will all be coming out soon. And I am not being smart, just saying it will all be coming out.

Jeff only has ethics when it benefits Jeffy.

PRJ

island hog

Two of the last three coach choices were lauded nationally and approved by most on here and in the state... Why do you call Long a crook? 

ricepig

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 10, 2017, 09:28:23 am

Plus he is a crook.

PRJ

Besides stealing our football team, what else has he stolen, lol???

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: ricepig on November 10, 2017, 09:40:15 am
Besides stealing our football team, what else has he stolen, lol???

It will come out Rice...I am sure you know already. You would have to.

PRJ

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 09, 2017, 06:52:28 pm
The guy came here, pretending to be a, "Professional Athletic Director," as if that is something that even exists, stood on a podium pretending to cry, so as to promote himself while firing a coach, lied about the reasons to fire that coach so that he could pretend to have more integrity than the average Joe, then sold "Long on Integrity" T-Shirts!   For crying out loud, are you BLIND?

If you don't think that the term, "Carpetbagger" fits Jeff Long, then you don't know what a carpetbagger IS.   A carpetbagger is a fraud, above all else.  Long isn't a carpetbagger because he came from Pittsburgh.  He's a carpetbagger because he is a FRAUD.  We were just too stupid to ask, "What is in your bottle of snake oil?"   Ask yourself:  What makes Jeff Long qualified to be an AD?   Answer:  NOTHING.  Nothing at all, other than his ridiculous claim to be a 'professional AD.'   That is why his results are so ... horrific.  If the administrators of the University of Arkansas had any sense at all, they would beg the FBI to see if they could find out how much of their money that dude has funneled to banks in the Caribbean.    LESSON:   When someone starts crowing about how much integrity he has, its a RED FLAG telling you to DUCK.I don't know about him selling the shirts I'd have to look into that. I think there is such a thing as a professional Athletic Director and I haven't ever heard Jeff Long say HE has integrity, maybe i missed i have mostly heard him say it about the University of Arkansas