Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Charles Matthews

Started by Hawg Red, May 18, 2016, 11:20:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

Former 4-star player (just outside the top 50) transferring from Kentucky after one season. 6'6 wing. Granted a full release.

We could do worse.

Interesting to see who his suitors are and if we'll make contact.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 18, 2016, 11:20:22 am
Former 4-star player (just outside the top 50) transferring from Kentucky after one season. 6'6 wing. Granted a full release.

We could do worse.

Interesting to see who his suitors are and if we'll make contact.

UK so strong they don't care where you go. Just go.
Hogs up! Covid down!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 18, 2016, 12:03:09 pm

No, it's more of the way Calipari can spin it in recruiting. You come here and it doesn't work out I'll let you go anywhere and I'm the only guy that will do it

Hawg Red

Yeah, crazy. Feel bad for Matthews, though. Obvious bad call for a non-elite (top 25) player to go to Kentucky unless you're okay not playing much for 2-3 years, but these kids want to be a part of that brand and be looked at as elite when they aren't. Even more puzzling was Mychal Mulder, who was a top 15 JUCO, picking Kentucky. He played less than Matthews (4 minutes per game to Matthew's 10).

Two years wasted for both of those kids when they could have had success at a better fit.

Hawg Red

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 18, 2016, 12:15:25 pm
No, it's more of the way Calipari can spin it in recruiting. You come here and it doesn't work out I'll let you go anywhere and I'm the only guy that will do it

There's definitely an element of that to with the lower rated guys like Matthews.

King Kong

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 18, 2016, 12:15:25 pm

He is the master of spin. No doubt he will bring this up in one of his Pressers to pump himself up.

Even though some people see right through it he is still able to pull it off

RealHog

KYs annual scholarship crunch and showing formally vaunted recruits the door after they've been recruited over is fascinating to me. They want Marques Bolden but have no scholarships left. So then Marcus Lee says he will stay in the draft right before he has a terrible combine and workouts. He then announces he cancelled all his remaining NBA workouts on Tuesday, regularly a sign a player is returning to school, but that would leave no room for Bolden. So then today (Wednesday) Charles Matthews all of a sudden announces he is transferring, opening a scholarship spot up the day before Bolden announces his decision. Which, side note, was supposed to be Tuesday but Bolden rescheduled due to "Family issues". I wonder if Cal approached Matthews with the suggestion/"You better find a new team" statement or it is just really lucky timing for KY. Probably the former.

daprospecta

Quote from: RealHog on May 18, 2016, 12:57:31 pm
KYs annual scholarship crunch and showing formally vaunted recruits the door after they've been recruited over is fascinating to me. They want Marques Bolden but have no scholarships left. So then Marcus Lee says he will stay in the draft right before he has a terrible combine and workouts. He then announces he cancelled all his remaining NBA workouts on Tuesday, regularly a sign a player is returning to school, but that would leave no room for Bolden. So then today (Wednesday) Charles Matthews all of a sudden announces he is transferring, opening a scholarship spot up the day before Bolden announces his decision. Which, side note, was supposed to be Tuesday but Bolden rescheduled due to "Family issues". I wonder if Cal approached Matthews with the suggestion/"You better find a new team" statement or it is just really lucky timing for KY. Probably the former.
While infrequently at other schools, this happens at every college including ours. You don't think we gave the suggestion/"You better find a new team to Doobie Jenkins? I agree that Kentucky gets away with doing so too often.

Champs04

I don't know of any schools that would let their players transfer inside the conference. Maybe Kentucky would be that conceited.

hawgwileywyatt

Lets get him and give him the opportunity to get revenge. Would he be a sophomore or a junior?

King Kong

Quote from: hawgwileywyatt on May 18, 2016, 04:00:12 pm
Lets get him and give him the opportunity to get revenge. Would he be a sophomore or a junior?

He would be a Soph

HardingHog

Theoretically, if we could get this guy that would be huge. I saw him play a couple times in high school, and he's a heck of a player. Bad fit for the "superstar lifestyle" at UK. He can really get down and defend plus he does a good job getting to the basket and has a solid stroke. Would love to have this guy, but he has the ability to go just about anywhere he wants

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 18, 2016, 12:18:44 pm
Yeah, crazy. Feel bad for Matthews, though. Obvious bad call for a non-elite (top 25) player to go to Kentucky unless you're okay not playing much for 2-3 years, but these kids want to be a part of that brand and be looked at as elite when they aren't. Even more puzzling was Mychal Mulder, who was a top 15 JUCO, picking Kentucky. He played less than Matthews (4 minutes per game to Matthew's 10).

Two years wasted for both of those kids when they could have had success at a better fit.
I got news for you.  If you go to Kentucky and don't play much for 2-3 years, you dang sure aren't going to play much your 4th year.  Doubtful you'll even still be on the roster.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

KentuckyFan

UK wanted Matthews back.  No doubt.  He didn't want to come back.  There's no reason to restrict his transfer.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 18, 2016, 05:27:14 pm
I got news for you.  If you go to Kentucky and don't play much for 2-3 years, you dang sure aren't going to play much your 4th year.  Doubtful you'll even still be on the roster.

Derek Willis and Josh Harrellson are examples of what I'm talking about. There is a place for a senior or two in Cal's rotation most years. My point was, unless you're willing to be that guy, you probably want to go somewhere else and actually play.

You aren't breaking any news to me. The arrogance of some people here, and for no reason at all, is bewildering. And then to be uninformed on top of that. Whatever.

KentuckyFan

Three years ago, Matthews was a top 10 recruit.  His stock fell to around 40-50 his Senior year, but Kentucky still liked him.  It was clear that the reason for that was his lack of offensive skill, which he showed in his Junior year of HS, but it regressed.  He's athletic, he's a good defender, but his shot regressed and he showed little offensive skill.

Reports are he wanted to have a chance to be more of a featured offensive player and that wasn't going to happen at UK.  Behind six 5-star Freshman, a senior Derek Willis and potentially two returning high-level players (Marcus Lee and Isaiah Briscoe), Matthews was going to have a similar role as 2015.

He's from Chicago.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him go somewhere in the midwest, maybe the Missouri Valley or Atlantic 10 and end up being a very good player in 2017-18, and potentially on the NBA radar in the 2018 or 2019 draft.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 19, 2016, 08:58:32 am
Derek Willis and Josh Harrellson are examples of what I'm talking about. There is a place for a senior or two in Cal's rotation most years. My point was, unless you're willing to be that guy, you probably want to go somewhere else and actually play.

You aren't breaking any news to me. The arrogance of some people here, and for no reason at all, is bewildering. And then to be uninformed on top of that. Whatever.

Wonder when Malik Monk will receive his epiphany along with big bubba Marcus.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 19, 2016, 08:58:32 am

???   That's a little harsh, don't you think?
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 19, 2016, 11:55:53 am
???   That's a little harsh, don't you think?

I mean, is it?

You started out with "I got news for you.." like I don't know what I'm talking about. Like I had not supporting evidence.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 19, 2016, 12:29:40 pm
I mean, is it?

You started out with "I got news for you.." like I don't know what I'm talking about. Like I had not supporting evidence.

I didn't realize you were so thin skinned.  "I got news for you" is just an expression.  Like Otter telling Hoover, "I got news for you pal.  They're gonna nail us no matter what we do.  So we might as well have some fun.  Toga...toga..."

From now on I'll begin my posts with a more appropriate salutation.   And just FYI, I despise Calipari and have no rational reason or factual basis for it other than I just think he's a sleazy slimeball.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 18, 2016, 12:19:26 pm
There's definitely an element of that to with the lower rated guys like Matthews.
Lower rated guys! Lmao 😂😂😂😂
We're talking about a 4* athlete, top 60 in the country out of HS, but because its Ucky a4 is a low rating. Lol
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Hawg Red

Quote from: PORKULATOR on May 19, 2016, 08:28:43 pm
Lower rated guys! Lmao 😂😂😂😂
We're talking about a 4* athlete, top 60 in the country out of HS, but because its Ucky a4 is a low rating. Lol

Well, when just about every other player on the roster is a 5-star, top 20 player......wouldn't that make Matthews one of the lower rated guys on the roster?

No one called them a low-ranked player or took anything away from him. I know context can be hard for some to grasp but come on. Quit wasting bandwidth.

PORKULATOR

Okay I was being joking that that's what we've come to with Kentucky.  Not you.  You took offense for it and came back like an A$$hat. That's rude dude.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: PORKULATOR on May 20, 2016, 09:24:38 am
Okay I was being joking that that's what we've come to with Kentucky.  Not you.  You took offense for it and came back like an A$$hat. That's rude dude.

He's thenthitive.      ;)

Hawg Red

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 19, 2016, 12:43:05 pm
I didn't realize you were so thin skinned.  "I got news for you" is just an expression.  Like Otter telling Hoover, "I got news for you pal.  They're gonna nail us no matter what we do.  So we might as well have some fun.  Toga...toga..."

From now on I'll begin my posts with a more appropriate salutation.   And just FYI, I despise Calipari and have no rational reason or factual basis for it other than I just think he's a sleazy slimeball.

I'm well aware what the expression means, and you and I both know what you meant by it. You were saying "I've got news for you.....because you don't know what you're talking about." The rest of your post laid that out with the explanation that a player "dang sure" won't play after not playing for 2-3 seasons and probably won't be on the roster. You were wrong. You got called on it and for the arrogant manner in which you approached it. If anyone's thin-skinned, it's you. You were the one saying my reply was "harsh." Nothing harsh about what I said. Just pushing back on you trying to tell me what's what. And don't like you weren't because, again, the entire post clearly shows that you trying to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about.

FineAsSwine

Finally, a Jump ball derail that has nothing to do with CMA. Hope this is a trend.  ;)
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawg Red

Quote from: PORKULATOR on May 20, 2016, 09:24:38 am

It can be confusing to pick up on a joke when words are twisted, or through text in general. Also, shouldn't we have been at the point to where we've accepted that a 4-star, top 60 kid is on the lower end at Kentucky, I don't know, 4 or 5 years ago? Calipari's been there going on 8 years now. We get it by now. I guess it's just one of things that gets lost because it's so, so obvious that you wouldn't think someone would make a joke about it. Or maybe asshats just don't have a good sense of humor.

Hawg Red

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 20, 2016, 10:03:58 am
Finally, a Jump ball derail that has nothing to do with CMA. Hope this is a trend.  ;)

I can do this all summer and bball season if need be.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 20, 2016, 09:47:52 am
I'm well aware what the expression means, and you and I both know what you meant by it. You were saying "I've got news for you.....because you don't know what you're talking about." The rest of your post laid that out with the explanation that a player "dang sure" won't play after not playing for 2-3 seasons and probably won't be on the roster. You were wrong. You got called on it and for the arrogant manner in which you approached it. If anyone's thin-skinned, it's you. You were the one saying my reply was "harsh." Nothing harsh about what I said. Just pushing back on you trying to tell me what's what. And don't like you weren't because, again, the entire post clearly shows that you trying to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about.

Whatever pal.  Sorry.  Have a good one.

(PS:  The "harsh" line is from Caddyshack)

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 20, 2016, 10:11:06 am
I can do this all summer and bball season if need be.
Oh dear god, please don't.  It's getting old and tired.  Please put this act to bed already.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on May 20, 2016, 12:08:41 pm
Oh dear god, please don't.  It's getting old and tired.  Please put this act to bed already.

I'll take it under consideration.

No promises.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 20, 2016, 01:22:39 pm
I'll take it under consideration.

No promises.
That's all I can ask.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 2h2 hours ago

Kentucky transfer Charles Matthews will visit Michigan next weekend and Xavier on June 17th and 18th, sources told
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 1h1 hour ago

Kentucky transfer Charles Matthews will visit Xavier this weekend, source told @CBSSports. Visited Michigan last weekend.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol