Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thurman replacing Zimmerman

Started by hogcam, April 15, 2016, 06:20:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RealHog

I'm afraid this is the nail in CMAs coffin, as much I want to pull for him. People are saying how Tubby smith has problems at Memphis with the Keelon Lawson's situation, I wish we had that problem. ST has ZERO experience in coaching or recruiting, zero AAU/EYBL ties. Sure he been in an admin job around Mike but it isn't like we can hope he absorbed anyone on our staffs recruiting skills. Loyal to a fault. It's Mike's ship and he's going to go down with it an honorable way.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: RealHog on April 23, 2016, 10:16:16 am
I'm afraid this is the nail in CMAs coffin, as much I want to pull for him. People are saying how Tubby smith has problems at Memphis with the Keelon Lawson's situation, I wish we had that problem. ST has ZERO experience in coaching or recruiting, zero AAU/EYBL ties. Sure he been in an admin job around Mike but it isn't like we can hope he absorbed anyone on our staffs recruiting skills. Loyal to a fault. It's Mike's ship and he's going to go down with it an honorable way.

I agree.  Seems like Mike has a problem with hiring Coaches with strong egos who want upward mobility.  So this leaves him hiring friends with similar personalities who don't rock the boat but they don't seem to ever up and go anywhere else.   The Assistants seem to be too happy and too set at being average. 
To be the best you have to be UNCOMMON and want to out work and out coach your competition.  There has be a issue anytime your assistant coaches are never mentioned for HC jobs.

razoredge178

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

chiefhawg

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 23, 2016, 11:10:16 am
I agree.  Seems like Mike has a problem with hiring Coaches with strong egos who want upward mobility.  So this leaves him hiring friends with similar personalities who don't rock the boat but they don't seem to ever up and go anywhere else.   The Assistants seem to be too happy and too set at being average. 
To be the best you have to be UNCOMMON and want to out work and out coach your competition.  There has be a issue anytime your assistant coaches are never mentioned for HC jobs.
https://uabblazerbloggin.wordpress.com/2016/03/25/sources-tj-cleveland-could-be-looking-to-replace-haase-as-uabs-next-head-coach/
https://razorbackers.com/2012/03/25/being-like-mike-t-j-cleveland-one-of-two-candidates-for-uab-job/
http://raycomnbc.worldnow.com/story/28773737/semo-ad-says-new-basketball-coaches-could-be-hiredhttp://www.semissourian.com/story/2183572.html-within-a-week

lynbug

Quote from: RealHog on April 23, 2016, 10:16:16 am

I really hope that ST is an upgrade as an assistant, but it sure feels like a nostalgic 90's add-on.  Not that I didn't enjoy the 90's.  It's just that I'm over it and ready to win NOW.

razoredge178

Quote from: lynbug on May 11, 2016, 02:31:43 pm
I really hope that ST is an upgrade as an assistant, but it sure feels like a nostalgic 90's add-on.  Not that I didn't enjoy the 90's.  It's just that I'm over it and ready to win NOW.

As the saying goes, not all good players make good coaches.

Pretty cush deal for someone who has 0 experience.

Iwastherein1969

I'm genuinely happy for Scotty. If anyone deserves a quick ride up it' this man. After all, it was Scotty' shot at the 1 minute mark of the National Championship game against Duke that gave the University of Arkansas it's ONLY National Championship in one of the three major sports (football, basketball, baseball) in the modern era. As for Anderson's reasons for promoting Scotty, the main reason is obvious. Mike is buying time with the fans. Mike knows how beloved of a figure Scotty Thurman is to Razorback fans that he promoted Scotty, IMHO, to buy time for himself the next couple of years. Good try Mike, but we see right through the move. Still, congratulations, Scotty, its time you caught a break.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

FineAsSwine

Scotty got Brachen to sign with us so I really like his first recruit. 2017 class is looking good already. If Scotty can supplement that with getting Khalil Garland to sign with us this summer, that would be awesome.

I am really rooting for Scotty. I have watched that shot hundreds of times and I still get goosebumps. I hope Scotty does so well that he gets job offers coming in from elsewhere but decides to stay here because he loves the University.

moehog

Coach Zimmerman is the best X and O coach on staff; best on staff at developing individual player; best clinician on staff... Have no idea on his recruiting abilities but do know he has contacts all over. Not an opinion, have seen it up close since this staff has been there. Not saying anything negative about Thurman and hope it works out.
"There is no hope for the satisfied man."

TrueBlue

Quote from: moehog on May 19, 2016, 03:00:04 pm
Coach Zimmerman is the best X and O coach on staff; best on staff at developing individual player; best clinician on staff...

So you are saying that CMA never let Coach Zimmerman do anything while he was coach?

moehog

Quote from: TrueBlue on May 19, 2016, 03:39:21 pm
So you are saying that CMA never let Coach Zimmerman do anything while he was coach?

Not even implying that and how you got that out of what I wrote is beyond my comprehension. I am simply stating Coach Z is the best coach at those areas on staff. That in no way means he is the best coach on staff. A lot more goes into it.
To answer your question, Yes, I believe Coach Anderson gave plenty of responsibilities to Coach Z

FineAsSwine

Coach Zimmerman is the best X and O coach on staff; best on staff at developing individual player; best clinician on staff...

Why hasn't Coach Z gotten hired somewhere else by now if this is true?

moehog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 20, 2016, 10:08:46 am
Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 20, 2016, 10:08:46 am

I don't know the answer to that but I will ask you:
How do you know he hasn't had offers to leave?
How do you know if this isn't his dream job? You do know this is "home"?
Have you watched at least 20 practices?
Have you seen the other coaches in a clinic setting?
Have you watched individual workouts?
Do you have anything to compare him to other than message board chatter?
Do you think I have said anything negative about the other coaches? (I haven't)

I haven't said this is a mistake. I hope it is for the best for the program.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: moehog on May 20, 2016, 10:21:21 am
I don't know the answer to that but I will ask you: NO
How do you know he hasn't had offers to leave?
How do you know if this isn't his dream job? You do know this is "home"? Yes, could be his dream job.
Have you watched at least 20 practices? just a couple
Have you seen the other coaches in a clinic setting? yes (once)
Have you watched individual workouts?  no
Do you have anything to compare him to other than message board chatter? not really
Do you think I have said anything negative about the other coaches? (I haven't) didn't imply that you did

I haven't said this is a mistake. I hope it is for the best for the program. same here

it was just a question. from your description of his skill sets, it sounded to me like he could have explored other options before now if he really had his heart set on coaching. of course, I heard on drive time sports that this move to administration may actually help him get a coaching job later at a mid-major. (something to do with having less money for support staff at a mid major so the head coach at a smaller school has to do stuff that is administrative in nature. Anyway, best of luck to Coach Z.

Pork Twain

Far too early to say whether this is a good or bad move for the team.  People were saying the same thing about Barry on the football staff and that has worked out well.  I don't have a lot of hope here though.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

moehog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 20, 2016, 11:02:26 am
it was just a question. from your description of his skill sets, it sounded to me like he could have explored other options before now if he really had his heart set on coaching. of course, I heard on drive time sports that this move to administration may actually help him get a coaching job later at a mid-major. (something to do with having less money for support staff at a mid major so the head coach at a smaller school has to do stuff that is administrative in nature. Anyway, best of luck to Coach Z.

I don't know his intentions. I would disagree with the DTS assertion that this will help. Even most Mid-Majors have a Director of Basketball Operations. It usually works in reverse where a head coach at a mid-major joins the staff as an assistant or DBO

moehog

Quote from: Pork Twain on May 20, 2016, 11:46:14 am
Far too early to say whether this is a good or bad move for the team.  People were saying the same thing about Barry on the football staff and that has worked out well.  I don't have a lot of hope here though.

I agree. Kind of like recruiting...can't say how good they are until they play. 
We should be a much more talented team this fall than last year. This past year's team overachieved in my opinion. I didn't see 10 wins and ended up .500.
I thought the coaching staff did a good job with what we had.

TrueBlue

Quote from: moehog on May 20, 2016, 08:31:22 am
Not even implying that and how you got that out of what I wrote is beyond my comprehension. I am simply stating Coach Z is the best coach at those areas on staff. That in no way means he is the best coach on staff. A lot more goes into it.
To answer your question, Yes, I believe Coach Anderson gave plenty of responsibilities to Coach Z

Really? You have to get away from your love-fest with Zimmerman not to understand that.

None of what you stated EVER happened, so that is why he must of not had any influence on the game or we would have seen it.

X and O's? Never - Bobby Portis even said so.

Player development? Hard to tell, but "NO" more times than yes for sure. (Qualls and Kingsley are the exceptions) Tell me who has developed in the last four years besides those two.

Best "Clinician" on staff? Goes back to X and O's. It wouldn't take much to be the best.

Sivad

Coach Zimmerman is the best X and O coach on staff.
A backhanded compliment.

Jonteviosk

Seriously folks old news move on.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Jonteviosk on May 20, 2016, 06:17:55 pm
Seriously folks old news move on.
When the move is head scratching its hard to move on. Outside Anderson, I heard no rumors of Thurman being on any other schools radar. You have to work your way up to a power 5 assistant job. This one was hand given to Thurman. Coaches are suppose to go the long route to a power 5 program. Maybe Thurman gets started his career at UAPB or ULM. Just a little head scratcher that some guys are more qualified for this position and Anderson hired a rookie assistant.

DeltaBoy

I am looking forward to what Scotty can do !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HoopS

Well, tell me any other assistant anywhere who you hear of being on any radar. In particular when you're talking about them being an assistant somewhere. You just don't hear the talk like you would football. Scotty makes sense for us as he's a former player and relates well to youth. Likable guy who knows how to play and win. Makes perfect sense. 

razorhead94

"I have had several opportunities, whether it be at the high school level or collegiate level but I am a little bit different than most guys and that my loyalty is here. I am a Razorback and I will forever and always be. There is a reason I have never left the state, never have intentions to. This is a university that grew me to not only being a young man but a productive citizen. It is something I want to help other student-athletes to have the opportunity to experience"

-Scotty Thurman on being named assistant coach

If that doesn't give you goosebumps as a hog fan, then you need to follow a different team.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Jim Harris

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on May 11, 2016, 07:01:59 pm
I'm genuinely happy for Scotty. If anyone deserves a quick ride up it' this man. After all, it was Scotty' shot at the 1 minute mark of the National Championship game against Duke that gave the University of Arkansas it's ONLY National Championship in one of the three major sports (football, basketball, baseball) in the modern era.

The shot came with :50.7 on the clock, just fwiw
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

coolhog

Anderson is like Nutt,  got to hire from within his circle, should have hired Pelphrey.