Mike Norvell Question

Started by RebelW, November 13, 2017, 08:31:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawginj

Quote from: hotdog hog on November 13, 2017, 02:51:05 pm
whether you agree or disagree, this is a great answer! Hahaha
Dilly!

elviscat

We need to hire a Dan Mullins type who knows how to coach and develop talent and secures great assistants. Look what Todd Grantham has done for the defense this year.

hogfansince79

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on November 13, 2017, 02:45:23 pm
National rankings:

Defense                                        Offense
1.  Wisconsin                                 1.  Oklahoma
2.  Alabama                                   2.  Oklahoma State.
5.  Georgia                                    8.  Memphis
9.  Auburn                                     29.  Arkansas State
11.  Mississippi State                      86.  Arkansas
16.  LSU
39.  Texas AM
55.  Florida
61.  Arkansas State
75.  Kentucky
76.  Vanderbilt
86.  Tennessee
90.  Arkansas
93.  Missouri
111.  Memphis
117.  Ole Miss

Washington State under Mike Leach
28 Offense
10 Defense

I like to look at points instead of yards per game...

Offense
1     UCF             48.6
6     Memphis      42.3
36   Wash St.      33.0
70   Arkansas      27.9

Defense
1       Alabama      11.2
38     Wash St.      22.9
95     Memphis      31.2
114   Arkansas      35.8
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

Paul

Paul

Quote from: S.A.D.C on November 13, 2017, 02:21:49 pm
Not sure why anyone would be "excited" about him as HC...

Right now his resume is: maintained a successful mid-major for 2 years.  Why is everyone so in love with this guy?  He might be Knute Rockne but there just isn't a sample size to warrant the level of support he has.
Then maybe you should do your due diligence & read about him.  There are a lot of threads on Hville with links

S.A.D.C

Quote from: Paul on November 13, 2017, 05:37:51 pm

Then maybe you should do your due diligence & read about him.  There are a lot of threads on Hville with links

Seen the threads and the links...  Haven't seen much actual head coaching.  Haven't seen many recruiting classes.  Haven't seen him build a anything. 

Hawginj

Quote from: S.A.D.C on November 13, 2017, 08:23:32 pm
Seen the threads and the links...  Haven't seen much actual head coaching.  Haven't seen many recruiting classes.  Haven't seen him build a anything.
As aposed to what we've seen Gus coach...good coach .. I guess we've seen him recruit even though Auburn recruits its self $$$$. But have we seen Gus valid a program??? No no one has because he hasn't done it ever!

tusksincolorado

Brian Early (sp) rising defense star...
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Hawginj

Quote from: tusksincolorado on November 13, 2017, 09:01:09 pm
Brian Early (sp) rising defense star...
yes he is hope hes on new coaches staff

clutch

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on November 13, 2017, 12:02:12 pm
I had questions too, so I watched the highlights of the Houston vs Memphis game. the offense doesn't look tricky. They utilize multiple RPO's, play-action and draws. Each of which have multiple options for the QB. I couldn't grasp the keys to the reads from so few plays.

On defense the tackling looked to be suspect just like we have now, but I believe that is because of the tendency to strip the ball on almost every attempt. That too was an observation limited by highlights, and honestly turnovers are gonna fill up your defensive highlights. They did attack the QB several times, but he got away his fair share of times too.

Read keys are pretty simple. Count number of players in the box, count number outside the box. Outside the box usually only counts players within 8-10 yards. If you see numbers in the box, run it. 1 on 1 to a single WR, throw it. 2 on 2, usually read the overhang defender. If he's splitting, you have leverage to throw it. Those would be your basic RPO reads.

A lot of their plays have 2nd or 3rd level reads. Usually reading OLB's and Safeties.

The pre-snap base reads are where most of the production from the RPO schemes come from. The 2nd and 3rd level reads are post snap reads a lot of times, and that's where the big plays come from. They use the base RPO schemes of inside or outside zone runs a lot mixed with bubbles or quick hitches and stick routes. Also run a lot of powers with the same RPO routes. Once they get a defense biting on their concepts that's when they tag a new route to their RPO and hit them deep.

It's really complex, yet simple at the same time. It's extremely hard for defenses to stop if your QB can make the 2nd and 3rd level reads. The most effective way to stop it is to play man, which is extremely hard to do for a lot of college teams.