Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Catholic High Kicker Elser

Started by 98hogs, September 29, 2017, 11:02:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

98hogs

Kid kicked a 65yd FG at Pep Rally this week.  Just goofing around.  Kid shows it on the field too.

PorkRinds

Jim Harris

I'm told Hogs have their eye on a kid out of Illinois who had great hang time on the "pooch" kickoffs.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

ricepig

Quote from: 98hogs on September 29, 2017, 11:02:40 am
Kid kicked a 65yd FG at Pep Rally this week.  Just goofing around.  Kid shows it on the field too.

It's nice to use a tee......

Wildhog

I just wish we'd stop giving kickers scholarships out of HS.  They're such a crap shoot. 

Bring in several as walk-ons and have them compete for one scholarship.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

factchecker

Quote from: Wildhog on September 29, 2017, 11:46:29 am
I just wish we'd stop giving kickers scholarships out of HS.  They're such a crap shoot. 

At this point, I don't mind bringing over one of our lady Razorback soccer players.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Uh huh...

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: ricepig on September 29, 2017, 11:58:11 am
Uh huh...
Quote from: Wildhog on September 29, 2017, 12:26:20 pm
?
There are two schools of thought on this; neither side is wrong.
Some programs have a policy not to give out kicker scholarships and have great kickers consistently; other programs pass out kicker scholarships all the time and have terrible kicking consistently.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

ricepig

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on September 29, 2017, 06:14:21 pm
Uh huh is yes, I guess you always answered your Mom with "yes".

Well, it could have been a sarcastic uh huh. 

1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on September 29, 2017, 06:42:45 pm

I wouldn't do that to you.......

Pork Ranger

I'm at the game and he just booted a 54 yard FG!

hawgmasta

Pork Ranger

All kickoffs have been right in front of the back of the end zone

HossHog

I may be wrong, and I hate to be that guy.... but doesn't Hedlund have a record in Texas for most field goals made in a career? IF that is true, then I would think finding a good kicker is just luck.

Wildhog

Quote from: HossHog on September 29, 2017, 09:03:05 pm
I may be wrong, and I hate to be that guy.... but doesn't Hedlund have a record in Texas for most field goals made in a career? IF that is true, then I would think finding a good kicker is just luck.

He holds the NATIONAL record.
1909/1964/1965/1977

HossHog

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on September 29, 2017, 09:33:36 pm
I watched him split the uprights on a kickoff in high school, I thought we had struck gold.......

ricepig

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on September 29, 2017, 08:12:21 pm
I'm at the game and he just booted a 54 yard FG!

He made a 51 yard FG against Jonesboro that would have been good from 60, but again, he was using a tee. He missed a 40 yard one as time was running out at halftime of that game. I'd say offer a walk on and let him earn a scholarship, I doubt we have any scholarship kickers after these two.

zane

Quote from: Wildhog on September 29, 2017, 09:33:36 pm
Quote from: ricepig on September 29, 2017, 10:59:22 pm
I watched him split the uprights on a kickoff in high school, I thought we had struck gold.......

Arkansas is where special teams talent comes to die
RIP LSUfan

sickboy

Quote from: ricepig on September 29, 2017, 06:14:21 pm
Uh huh is yes, I guess you always answered your Mom with "yes".

Yes ma'am in my house. Unless you wanted to get popped.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on September 29, 2017, 08:42:39 pm
All kickoffs have been right in front of the back of the end zone
That's too far, will fatigue our coverage guys.

jjdlc

Quote from: zane on September 29, 2017, 11:02:40 pm
Arkansas is where special teams talent comes to die

Has nothing to do with Arkansas.  Kickers are a gamble period.  Ones that look like sure fire recruits out of high school fail quite often, and unrecruited walk-ons go on to succeed.  It is why most schools do not use scholarships on them until they have walked on and earned it. 

sickboy

Quote from: jjdlc on October 01, 2017, 10:29:34 am
Has nothing to do with Arkansas.  Kickers are a gamble period.  Ones that look like sure fire recruits out of high school fail quite often, and unrecruited walk-ons go on to succeed.  It is why most schools do not use scholarships on them until they have walked on and earned it. 

Kickers, I feel especially, don't perfectly translate from one of level of the sport to the next. When a kid is elite in high school there is absolutely no guarantee he'll be good in college. Look at Roberto Aguayo. The guy was close to perfect his entire college career. He was so good he skipped his senior year and was DRAFTED in the freaking second round.

Two years later, the guy can't kick a field goal to save his life and can't get a job as a kicker. Go figure.

And if you look around college football, good kickers are rare. Tons and tons of schools have kicker problems.

Richard Davenport

Chris may go on to be a four-time All American on the next level. Only time will tell.

Hedlund was a very highly thought of in high school. Like people have said above, sucess on the next level whether it be HS to college or college to NFL is never certain.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Wildhog on September 29, 2017, 06:42:45 pm

Rice would never do that.

justmakeit2thebcs

razorhead94

I'll take another Zack Hocker any day.  Having a kicker is such a weapon.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

ricepig

Quote from: razorhead94 on October 03, 2017, 03:17:53 pm

No doubt, they just seem hard to find.

nwahogfan1

I agree with you.  I think the record shows we are doing below average job of signing kickers so maybe they will take your advice and have those try outs.

HognitiveDissonance

There's an old saying 'you get what you emphasize'.

If you want ball security--you emphasize ball security in practice.

If you want great special teams, you make it a priority like Beamer did at Va Tech.

Everyone knows you need good kicking---but is it emphasized? Evidence suggests the current staff don't really understand or don't value a good kicking game. Else it wouldn't be mediocre every year. That makes them dumb, or negligent.

Wildhog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on October 04, 2017, 12:05:34 am
There's an old saying 'you get what you emphasize'.

If you want ball security--you emphasize ball security in practice.

If you want great special teams, you make it a priority like Beamer did at Va Tech.

Everyone knows you need good kicking---but is it emphasized? Evidence suggests the current staff don't really understand or don't value a good kicking game. Else it wouldn't be mediocre every year. That makes them dumb, or negligent.

We're a long way from mediocre.
1909/1964/1965/1977

98hogs

Quote from: razorhead94 on October 03, 2017, 03:17:53 pm
Elser is a weapon.  Not having someone return a kickoff can save a game................. A & M

ChicoHog

Kickers are a lot like baseball closers.  Much of it is mental and confidence.  And they are a couple missed kicks away from being waived (pro ball) and moving teams.   There are some elite guys out there but many of them drift from team to team based on if they are hot or not. 

RealHog

I miss Hocker. From now on though offer walkons and if they are truly good College kickers then give a scholly.

Richard Davenport

Chris was 3 of 3 on PATs and 2 of 2 on FGs on Friday. He had 6 touchbacks out of 7 kickoffs.

98hogs

Quote from: Richard Davenport on October 08, 2017, 09:19:56 pm
Chris was 3 of 3 on PATs and 2 of 2 on FGs on Friday. He had 6 touchbacks out of 7 kickoffs.

He will be D1 somewhere, been fun watching him and Samy Johnson

ricepig

Quote from: 98hogs on October 09, 2017, 06:43:27 pm
  He will be D1 somewhere, been fun watching him and Samy Johnson

Samy can play, hopefully he gets several D-I offers. Elser will get the opportunity to kick somewhere, don't know if he'll start off on scholarship are not.

havok

Quote from: ricepig on September 29, 2017, 11:40:03 am
It's nice to use a tee......

A tee is used at kickoffs.  Would be nice to have a kicker (Like every other College seems to find) who can kick into the end zone.

ricepig

Quote from: havok on October 10, 2017, 10:40:43 am
A tee is used at kickoffs.  Would be nice to have a kicker (Like every other College seems to find) who can kick into the end zone.

A tee is used for FG's in high school. A high school tee for kickoffs is 2", one for college and the pro's is 1" . Also, any ball that crosses the goal line in NFHS is an automatic touch back, therefore, height and hang time are optional.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: RealHog on October 05, 2017, 07:08:48 pm
I miss Hocker. From now on though offer walkons and if they are truly good College kickers then give a scholly.

They did that with Cole. He was a Parade All-American and All-USA first team along with being Chris Sailer's National Placekicker of the Year.

He earned his offer after having a good camp at Arkansas.

Wildhog

Quote from: Richard Davenport on October 10, 2017, 01:00:47 pm
They did that with Cole. He was a Parade All-American and All-USA first team along with being Chris Sailer's National Placekicker of the Year.

Then do it after they earn it in a season, I guess? 
1909/1964/1965/1977

texas tush hog

Quote from: Richard Davenport on October 10, 2017, 01:00:47 pm

#1 kicker in the nation out of high school as I recall. Any other college in the nation he comes in and they give him the job. Unfortunately Bielema redshirts him and gives the job to a walkon who actually missed an extra point at Alabama causing us to lose 14-13. Imagine what that did to Cole's confidence. Kickers are head cases anyway, so a coach needs to stay out of their heads. Our staff needs to stay out of the kicking business. They have already coached up Limpert so much that he missed an extra point, something Cole never did, I mean like never. He has booted two 40 yard field goals however. Keep the coaches away from them and let them kick on their on in practice with the team managers, works better. Maybe let Cole kick PAT's and Conner Limpert kick field goals and handle kickoffs and redshirt Mazza.

ricepig

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 17, 2017, 08:55:50 pm

#1 kicker in the nation out of high school as I recall. Any other college in the nation he comes in and they give him the job. Unfortunately Bielema redshirts him and gives the job to a walkon who actually missed an extra point at Alabama causing us to lose 14-13. Imagine what that did to Cole's confidence. Kickers are head cases anyway, so a coach needs to stay out of their heads. Our staff needs to stay out of the kicking business. They have already coached up Limpert so much that he missed an extra point, something Cole never did, I mean like never. He has booted two 40 yard field goals however. Keep the coaches away from them and let them kick on their on in practice with the team managers, works better. Maybe let Cole kick PAT's and Conner Limpert kick field goals and handle kickoffs and redshirt Mazza.

The kick was blocked, so it wasn't missed, and the game was in Fayetteville.

factchecker

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 17, 2017, 08:55:50 pm
#1 kicker in the nation out of high school as I recall. Any other college in the nation he comes in and they give him the job. Unfortunately Bielema redshirts him and gives the job to a walkon who actually missed an extra point at Alabama causing us to lose 14-13.

1. It was AT Fayetteville, Arkansas in 2014.

2. The kick was blocked:  Skip to 1:01:37

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Richard Davenport

Quote from: Wildhog on October 10, 2017, 03:23:46 pm
Then do it after they earn it in a season, I guess? 

Kickers are just different. Much like your golf game. So much mental.

98hogs

This kid has some mentals when it comes to grades.  Heard getting Ivy league interest.