Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

End of the one and done rule.

Started by rhog1, October 16, 2017, 01:20:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rhog1

https://sports.yahoo.com/adam-silver-right-calling-end-one-done-rule-170421752.html
NBA commissioner Silver is calling for an end to one and done. 
"It's clear a change will come," Silver said Monday on ESPN's "Mike & Mike" show.

" Silver has already reached out to union president Michele Roberts and noted they don't need to wait until 2024, when the collective bargaining agreement is up. He wants Chris Paul from the union and Michael Jordan for the owners to run point on this.

"We should sit down even this season and talk about what a different frame work would look like," Silver said.

Sounds like thanks to the scandal positive change is coming. The article mentions the zero or two rule like the MLB has which I think would be perfect.

The_Iceman

I think the zero or two/three rule is the best option. MLB does it right. They also need to make the draft like the MLB where guys who don't like where they are drafted can go back to school.

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 16, 2017, 01:33:00 pm
I think the zero or two/three rule is the best option. MLB does it right. They also need to make the draft like the MLB where guys who don't like where they are drafted can go back to school.
As long as they don't take money from an agent.....that becomes the tricky part.

Hogimus Prime

Just let them go straight pro. Its the NBA GM's and execs job to tell thsesnkids if they are ready or not. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on October 16, 2017, 01:46:10 pm
Just let them go straight pro. Its the NBA GM's and execs job to tell thsesnkids if they are ready or not. 

It was the players union that pushed the one and done rule.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

NavarreHog

I don't see the NBA wanting this as there are only 2 rounds in the NBA draft compared to 40+ rounds in MLB.

AlmaHog2011

Let them go NBA out of HS. If they sign with a college they have to stay 3 years. But let them go pro.

Breems

As a fan of college basketball and not so much the NBA, it would suck if we never got to see the elites play in college.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

onebadrubi

Quote from: Breems on October 16, 2017, 08:03:59 pm
As a fan of college basketball and not so much the NBA, it would suck if we never got to see the elites play in college.

They would have to build a large farm system like baseball before they would absorb all the elite talent. 

jjdlc

I felt that way at first, but the more I think about it the more I think this would be better.  It will level the playing field somewhat, and you wouldn't have so many "Ben Simmons" that don't really want to be there, dragging teams down.  There needs to be a rule that lets kids that don't get drafted come back though, give them a chance to earn their way to the NBA if the teams decide they aren't as ready as they thought.

onebadrubi

The crappy part of all of this, you are leaving up to the powers that be and the system that just left UNC off the hook to monitor programs like UK on grades, attendance, pay for play, etc.  You don't think this would slow down Cal?  he can possibly bid right up there with a draft slot, say hey look, you don't even have to stick your head in a class, and screw off as you like.

CDBHawg

I'm a college basketball fan first and foremost. I'd love to see a rule like the NFL implements(3 years removed from HS). I know this is totally up to the NBA, but I'd love to see it.

1highhog

The NBA sucks these days, whatever anyone thinks, the players these days can't carry the jockstrap of the past players.  Sure, they have performance enhanced bodies and such, but all of these players that come straight out of high school after a year in College or some straight out of high school and then with the NBA having expanded to the size it is now has really watered down the overall talent of the league and the teams.  Also, today's players are babies compared to the players from even the 80's and 90's, they were men who played rough and tough and played through pain and didn't cry every time they were touched.

Cure

Yes, cut the NCAA off and let these players get paid.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

k.c.hawg

The NBA is getting serious about the G league, very soon every NBA team will have a G league team. In the past if they drafted a kid that wasn't ready he had to take up a roster spot.

Beginning in the 2017 offseason, NBA rosters expanded from 15 to 17 players with the addition of two spots for players under "Two-Way Contracts."

NBA teams may have up to two players under NBA Two-Way Contracts who will spend the bulk of the season in the NBA G League and not more than 45 days with their NBA team. Two-Way players are paid a corresponding daily amount based on the number of days they play in each league. Only players with four or fewer years of NBA service are able to sign Two-Way Contracts, which can be for either one or two seasons.

All-time high 92 NBA players, inc. 16 2016 1st-Rd. NBA Draft picks, were assigned to NBA G League in 2016-17.

They are building a league that is going to be a competent place for a 1st and 2nd round picks to get the extra year of 2 they need to develop. I've seen some one and dones that I enjoyed watching play their one season. I've seen just as many that I thought were uninvested in their team and brought very little to the college game.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

bigred223

Quote from: 1highhog on October 17, 2017, 01:01:48 am
The NBA sucks these days, whatever anyone thinks, the players these days can't carry the jockstrap of the past players.  Sure, they have performance enhanced bodies and such, but all of these players that come straight out of high school after a year in College or some straight out of high school and then with the NBA having expanded to the size it is now has really watered down the overall talent of the league and the teams.  Also, today's players are babies compared to the players from even the 80's and 90's, they were men who played rough and tough and played through pain and didn't cry every time they were touched.

This is a ridiculous statement. The changes in the physical nature of the game are due to rules changes. Now instead of just bulldozing into the lane and throwing up shots, players actually have to be skilled and find others ways to score. The overall talent in the nba is better than ever.

nwahogfan1

I like the if you sign then you stay for 3 rule.  If the great ones can sign right out of HS then so be it.  But I am curious if the rule would drive some to the JUCO's so they could go after 1 or 2 years?

010HogFan

Quote from: 1highhog on October 17, 2017, 01:01:48 am

Lol stop it. When I go back and watch old games, I see just as much bad basketball as good. The pace that teams play at now is unprecedented. I don't think there's a team in NBA history that could have beaten the Warriors in the finals this past season.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogsanity on October 16, 2017, 01:54:53 pm
It was the players union that pushed the one and done rule.

I see this repeated a lot around here but have yet to see the proof of that. I do know that the NBPA wanted the age limit at 18 back in 2011, though.

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/03/05/nbpa-on-age-limit.ap/

QuoteUnder the current rules, players must turn 19 in the draft's calendar year to be eligible and in the case of American players also be one year removed from high school. The union sought to make the age limit 18 in the last round of negotiations in 2011; the league wanted it to go to 20 then as well.

There's also this from 2010, which indicates that the players never wanted the change in age limit:

http://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=5899152

Quote"We want to go back to the way it was," a source from the National Basketball Players Association said. "The players have always been philosophically opposed to it. The vast majority of players feel a player should have the right to make a living. If he has the talent and wants to make money to help his family, he should have that right. It's just a matter of principle."

Also this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eligibility_for_the_NBA_draft

QuoteHowever, the influx of high-schoolers caused considerable controversy. When the NBA and its players union negotiated a new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) in 2005, NBA Commissioner David Stern publicly called for a higher age limit of 20, stating that he wanted the league's scouts and general managers out of high school gyms and that too many young urban Americans incorrectly saw the NBA as a sure path to fame and financial security.[5] Most of the players were opposed to an age limit;[6] Jermaine O'Neal was perhaps the most strident critic, accusing the NBA of racism.[7] Ultimately, the union reluctantly agreed to an age limit of 19, accepting it in exchange for tweaks to salary cap rules that were favorable to the players' interests.[6]

So, can we please stop saying the players asked for this age limit? That's complete bullsh-t.

MountieDawg

AGREED!!!
SEC!

MountieDawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 16, 2017, 08:27:13 pm
They would have to build a large farm system like baseball before they would absorb all the elite talent. 

Still these kids with dream of the NBA dont want to play in empty arenas in Dubuque for $30k a year
SEC!

MountieDawg

For those that think it will level the playing field, do you not think that the best players not going to the NBA still will not want to go to the Elite programs that get all the good TV time and good games... The best kids will go to the best programs for the most part no matter what the rule is....  Those players that are on the border of being offered by UK, Duke, Kansas and NC will then be getting those offers...  Its not making college basketball a lottery system where the worst team gets the 1st pick. 

One problem baseball coaches run into Van Horn included... You offer a kid a scholarship, he accepts it and you thing you have filled a recruiting need then he gets a baseball contract and bye bye school.
SEC!

cardsNhogs

I want to watch kids play that want to be playing college basketball.

twistitup

D league already exists
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: MountieDawg on October 17, 2017, 08:52:58 am
For those that think it will level the playing field, do you not think that the best players not going to the NBA still will not want to go to the Elite programs that get all the good TV time and good games... The best kids will go to the best programs for the most part no matter what the rule is....  Those players that are on the border of being offered by UK, Duke, Kansas and NC will then be getting those offers...  Its not making college basketball a lottery system where the worst team gets the 1st pick. 

One problem baseball coaches run into Van Horn included... You offer a kid a scholarship, he accepts it and you thing you have filled a recruiting need then he gets a baseball contract and bye bye school.

I would think, in theory, that the stud players would be more spread out amongst colleges instead of just the handful of top schools. For example, instead of Kentucky reloading with 5 new star freshman each year, those guys would stay for 2-3 years. Kids that would ordinarily sign with Kentucky aren't going to want to go sit the bench for 1-2 years, so they may go to another school to be the stud. I would think that would increase the chances of a school like Arkansas landing a legit program changing player.

onebadrubi

Quote from: twistitup on October 17, 2017, 08:54:09 am
D league already exists

D league can't support sign and placed players which is what the nba will be attempting to do so kids won't go to college. 

twistitup

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 17, 2017, 09:48:58 am
D league can't support sign and placed players which is what the nba will be attempting to do so kids won't go to college. 

Why can't it?

The NBA D league can adjust just like any successful company- it IS the minor leagues for Bball.

redleg

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 17, 2017, 08:29:03 am
Lol stop it. When I go back and watch old games, I see just as much bad basketball as good. The pace that teams play at now is unprecedented. I don't think there's a team in NBA history that could have beaten the Warriors in the finals this past season.
Get outta here with that mess. Teams today don't play defense. It's all about scoring, slam dunks, and highlight reels. No one cares about fundamentals, defense, etc. The "96 Bulls, the "89 and "90 Pistons, the "88 Lakers, and the "84 Celtics would have stifled last years Warriors with smothering defense, rebounding, stronger inside play, and better overall team toughness.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 17, 2017, 08:29:03 am

Puff, puff, give...Lakers, Bulls, Pistons. Warriors would not even get to game 7 against any of these teams when they were on top.

And you can throw the Spurs in too...they wouldnt have a chance against them either.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

onebadrubi

Quote from: twistitup on October 17, 2017, 10:37:59 am
Why can't it?

The NBA D league can adjust just like any successful company- it IS the minor leagues for Bball.

It might could handle 10-15 recruits, but you have to think long term.  There will be teams taking a guy in the second round that is fine taking the $50,000 signing bonus and going to the D league, for what ever reason he just isnt going to college, well, you take 3-4 of these and next thing you know you have A LOT of people in the D league.  No way the infrastructure currently can handle what would be coming. 

There might only be 2-4 players a year out of high school that could sit on an NBA bench the next season.  The rest would have to take up D league rosters, along with the international players, and guys out of college trying to make it.  MLB has to have a 4-5:1 ratio of minor leaguers vs MLB Players. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: HawgnCorona on October 17, 2017, 11:28:01 am
Puff, puff, give...Lakers, Bulls, Pistons. Warriors would not even get to game 7 against any of these teams when they were on top.

And you can throw the Spurs in too...they wouldnt have a chance against them either.

To be fair, you could pretty much punch people in the face when the Pistons where winning and that was considered good defense. Those teams were overly-physical. Like some kind of mix between basketball and rugby. No thanks.

My biggest issue with the NBA isn't the perceived lack of fundamentals or defense. My issue is with competition. How many teams are truly competitive in the NBA? When I started watching the NBA in the '90s, the Suns, Spurs, Rockets, Knicks, Blazers, Pacers, Bulls, Magic, Heat, Jazz, Sonics, and Lakers were all competitive to the point of any of them could have made it to the Finals or put up a good fight getting there. The Pistons and Celtics being competitive on that level were a little before my time in terms of being old enough to know what's going on.

And I don't think you're giving enough credit to the skill level on the Golden State Warriors. Perhaps the most skilled NBA team, top to bottom, in NBA history. They are truly remarkable. They aren't the problem. They play defense, pass, shoot, and play with a high IQ at the highest level. A true team.

311Hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 17, 2017, 12:38:59 pm
To be fair, you could pretty much punch people in the face when the Pistons where winning and that was considered good defense. Those teams were overly-physical. Like some kind of mix between basketball and rugby. No thanks.

My biggest issue with the NBA isn't the perceived lack of fundamentals or defense. My issue is with competition. How many teams are truly competitive in the NBA? When I started watching the NBA in the '90s, the Suns, Spurs, Rockets, Knicks, Blazers, Pacers, Bulls, Magic, Heat, Jazz, Sonics, and Lakers were all competitive to the point of any of them could have made it to the Finals or put up a good fight getting there. The Pistons and Celtics being competitive on that level were a little before my time in terms of being old enough to know what's going on.

And I don't think you're giving enough credit to the skill level on the Golden State Warriors. Perhaps the most skilled NBA team, top to bottom, in NBA history. They are truly remarkable. They aren't the problem. They play defense, pass, shoot, and play with a high IQ at the highest level. A true team.

dont forget shot making.  there is no defense for a 3pointer 2 feet behind the line.  GS is amazing to watch.

I am not sure i am a fan of all the "super" teams that seem to be the norm now.  I guess we will see how it plays out but it feels like MLB where small market teams are just also rans, and teams change in their entirety over night.

daprospecta

I like this, you go to college, you stay for two years.  The only problem with the draft is you'd have coaches scrambling if a player decided to stay in.

Hawg Red

Quote from: 311Hog on October 17, 2017, 12:49:57 pm
dont forget shot making.  there is no defense for a 3pointer 2 feet behind the line.  GS is amazing to watch.

I am not sure i am a fan of all the "super" teams that seem to be the norm now.  I guess we will see how it plays out but it feels like MLB where small market teams are just also rans, and teams change in their entirety over night.

I'm all for super teams if there were more than 1-2 in the league. I'd say Golden State and Cleveland are the only real super teams. Houston is a really good team but Paul and Harden are the only stars. OKC has some big names, but I'm not sure the supporting cast is that great. I think Boston sacrificed a lot of good assets and defense to make the additions they did. If each conference had 3 super teams, I think it'd be very interesting. Don't think they'd ever do it, but I'd like to see some retraction among the teams that lose money every year.

jackflash

Hawghiggs

Good. The one and done rule only hurt college basketball.  The NBA should be allowed to draft a player out of high school and hold that players rights if that player decides to go to college.

The NBA now needs to expand.  Kansas City, St. Louis, Seattle, and Las Vegas should all have teams.

Inhogswetrust

You don't know if they are truly elite until they play in the NBA.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

theFlyingHog

Quote from: MountieDawg on October 17, 2017, 08:47:16 am
Still these kids with dream of the NBA dont want to play in empty arenas in Dubuque for $30k a year
I may be misunderstanding your post but here's my reply: so what. I don't want to be stuck in Laredo making $30/hr right now but it's what I gotta do to make it to the top. Now now now now is a big problem with kids these days

twistitup

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 17, 2017, 11:43:05 am
It might could handle 10-15 recruits, but you have to think long term.  There will be teams taking a guy in the second round that is fine taking the $50,000 signing bonus and going to the D league, for what ever reason he just isnt going to college, well, you take 3-4 of these and next thing you know you have A LOT of people in the D league.  No way the infrastructure currently can handle what would be coming. 

There might only be 2-4 players a year out of high school that could sit on an NBA bench the next season.  The rest would have to take up D league rosters, along with the international players, and guys out of college trying to make it.  MLB has to have a 4-5:1 ratio of minor leaguers vs MLB Players.

D league might divide into skill levels- full league each level- follow baseball.

DL1, DL2, DL3

Guys in DL1 are on the verge of going to the NBA

hog of steele

The nba needs to have a hs combine. Invite who they would like for the draft. The invitation should come with a guarantee of lottery pick money. Uninvited players should be ineligible for two/three years. Obvious lottery picks shouldn't go to college. Everybody else should.

onebadrubi

Quote from: twistitup on October 17, 2017, 09:12:57 pm
D league might divide into skill levels- full league each level- follow baseball.

DL1, DL2, DL3

Guys in DL1 are on the verge of going to the NBA

Go back and read my original post that you quoted, geeze lay off the drugs man

hobhog

Silver also said he wanted to have mid  season NBA tournaments like international soccer does. Weird.

twistitup

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 17, 2017, 11:22:40 pm
Go back and read my original post that you quoted, geeze lay off the drugs man

Drugs? Troll much?

I don't think you knew D league existed...or you wouldn't of posted that ignorant Shiite in the first place...

twistitup

??

It already exists- just needs expansion

DLeague

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 17, 2017, 12:38:59 pm

"...I don't think there's a team in NBA history that could have beaten the Warriors in the finals this past season."

To be fair?! I have seen them all (NBA Champions) going back too the mid 60s Ok... But you are telling me I dont give the Warriors credit for their skill? That they(GS) are the most skilled from top to bottom in NBA history( how do you know)? Yet, you just started watching in the 90s? Pardon me while I laugh, Ok?

Finesse vs physical style of play is part of the game.

It is funny your issue with the NBA as it currently stands, is lack of competition. But that is what  you get when the best players are on a few teams so much so they are picking the same two teams in finals. Super Teams...Your NBA is predictable...

Their (GS)1975 Championship team would have been no match for the current team. I will give you that.

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

husker71

Rodman covers Durant (and gets into that fragile head)  Pippen takes Curry or Thompson  and Jordan and/or Harper take the other at one end.  Now at the other end who is going to cover Jordan and who is going to cover Pippen and with Rodman they dominate the boards.    Just my take

010HogFan

Quote from: redleg on October 17, 2017, 10:56:11 am
Get outta here with that mess. Teams today don't play defense. It's all about scoring, slam dunks, and highlight reels. No one cares about fundamentals, defense, etc. The "96 Bulls, the "89 and "90 Pistons, the "88 Lakers, and the "84 Celtics would have stifled last years Warriors with smothering defense, rebounding, stronger inside play, and better overall team toughness.

That's your opinion, but the Warriors looked unstoppable in the postseason. They went 16-1 for crying out loud. A new record. You're seriously discounting the amount of talent on that roster and the offensive system they run. It's the same concept as college football. The average spread offense of today would make many of the best defenses in the past look outdated and average. There's a reason they are consistently mentioned among the greatest teams of all time.

Hawg Red

Quote from: HawgnCorona on October 18, 2017, 04:15:56 am
"...I don't think there's a team in NBA history that could have beaten the Warriors in the finals this past season."

To be fair?! I have seen them all (NBA Champions) going back too the mid 60s Ok... But you are telling me I dont give the Warriors credit for their skill? That they(GS) are the most skilled from top to bottom in NBA history( how do you know)? Yet, you just started watching in the 90s? Pardon me while I laugh, Ok?

Finesse vs physical style of play is part of the game.

It is funny your issue with the NBA as it currently stands, is lack of competition. But that is what  you get when the best players are on a few teams so much so they are picking the same two teams in finals. Super Teams...Your NBA is predictable...

Their (GS)1975 Championship team would have been no match for the current team. I will give you that.

I have the strongest observation from the '90s on, but the NBA has footage from every era. I've seen tons and tons of footage from the '60s, '70s, and '80s as well. I don't think you'll find another team in NBA history as long and versatile as we have right now with these Warriors. The switching, the passing, the interchangeability. There's never been a team like this before. I know that. Anyone who knows NBA basketball and NBA history knows that. They are a tough matchup for any team from any era. You name it -- '90s Bulls, Showtime Lakers, any iteration of the Celtics. I don't think anyone can claim that any of those teams would beat this Warriors team. They're in the discussion for greatest of all-time. Not saying they are THE greatest, but they're in the discussion.

Youngsta71701

Good idea but that would handcuff the NBA teams. The MLB has a lot more rounds and players than the NBA.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

onebadrubi

Quote from: twistitup on October 18, 2017, 03:51:05 am
Drugs? Troll much?

I don't think you knew D league existed...or you wouldn't of posted that ignorant Shiite in the first place...

I knew the D league existed, we've had players end up there a lot of times and I have kept up with them through the D league. 

Nothing I've done or said is trolling, you are just angry because I call your troll attempts obvious. 

Sorry, the d league in its current form is very small compared to MLB, sorry you don't comprehend or understand the adjective I used by saying LARGE.  The only thing ignorant by definition are your post.