Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drivers

Started by ADAM_713, June 30, 2009, 12:44:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Does Matter?

Matters
Doesn't Matter

ADAM_713

Should price matter when talking about the driver you use?  I have talked to three people this month that say they hit a wal-mart driver better than the expensive boy they have in the bag.  Honestly you feel a little odd pulling out the dunlop on the course, when I have a "high-end"  driver in the bag.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on May 19, 2010, 11:42:38 am
true story...

i paid a stripper $5 to slap me in the face right after i bit down on a lime after a tequila shot.  twas EPIC.

Eddie Piggard

who buys expensive drivers anymore?  I thought that was what ebay was for??
Pray for Obama. Psalms 109:8

Hawg414

amateur guess here... but id bet the walmart driver has a regular shaft... and the "high end" driver has a stiff shaft... and since most weekend players buy shafts too stiff, the regular flex suits them better... and shaft has more to do with how well you hit the ball than does the head anyway.

PigWine

June 30, 2009, 06:27:54 pm #3 Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 08:16:20 am by PigWine
Quote from: Hawg414 on June 30, 2009, 05:58:11 pm
amateur guess here... but id bet the walmart driver has a regular shaft... and the "high end" driver has a stiff shaft... and since most weekend players buy shafts too stiff, the regular flex suits them better... and shaft has more to do with how well you hit the ball than does the head anyway.

This^.

I never fully believed it until I played in a scramble a few months ago with an old man that carried the exact same driver I do (TM Burner 9.5).  Only difference is mine is a stiff, and his is a regular.  We got them mixed up in the bags and I was smoking my T shots straighter than ever and getting much better roll.

Turns out I had been using his regular shafted Burner.  That being said, since then my swing speed has increased a bit and the stiff shaft feels better, but everytime I send one out with a little right tail on it I wonder if I was using more flex, would it have gone straight...

I know guys that swear by their Peacock drivers... Most are regular or senior flex.

All that being said, Price does matter to a degree in my opinion.  Do you need the newest $500 Callaway or Taylor Made?... No.  But the better drivers have the technology to make an amateur better.  I actually just recently traded down from a TM SuperQuad R7 to a regular Burner due to the forgiveness and feel.  The Driver that best fits me is $200 less than the one I learned with, but still a damn good driver.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: ADAM_713 on June 30, 2009, 12:44:23 pm
Should price matter when talking about the driver you use?  I have talked to three people this month that say they hit a wal-mart driver better than the expensive boy they have in the bag.  Honestly you feel a little odd pulling out the dunlop on the course, when I have a "high-end"  driver in the bag.

those three people are ignorant.  not stupid.  just ignorant.

you get what you pay for. 

Adam...what you should really do is tell me your budget and let me find you the most bang for that buck.