Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LETS GO PHIL!!!

Started by #69, June 22, 2009, 11:05:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone at home watching phil charge on the back nine?  birdied 12 and eagled 13 to take a share of the lead at -4!!!!

hogfan064

June 22, 2009, 11:09:55 am #1 Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 11:12:15 am by hogfan064
I don't care about Phil, but I'm pulling for Lucas Glover because he's a Clemson Tiger and I know lots of annoying Gamecock fans.  It would piss them off to see a Tiger win.

bigdaddyhawg

I do care about golf and will pull for anyone else but Phil Mickelson.  He may be the biggest fraud and fake in all of professional sports.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

pigture perfect

I am rooting for Phil to win one for his wife. What an inspirational story that would be.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hogfan064

Quote from: pigture perfect on June 22, 2009, 11:11:44 am
I am rooting for Phil to win one for his wife. What an inspirational story that would be.

That is true

hogfan064

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 22, 2009, 11:11:37 am
  He may be the biggest fraud and fake in all of professional sports.

Ever hear of Houston Nutt

hogfan064

Bogey for Phil.  Glover back in the lead

dakpowers

I was a walking scorer for Ricky Barnes' group twice in the Fort Smith Classic a couple of years ago, and he was one of the nicest golfers I've ever met. I'll be cheering for him today.

hogfan064

Quote from: dakpowers on June 22, 2009, 11:16:26 am
I was a walking scorer for Ricky Barnes' group twice in the Fort Smith Classic a couple of years ago, and he was one of the nicest golfers I've ever met. I'll be cheering for him today.

He's played his way out of it

rogersvillemohog

I'm sorry, but as an old fan of Payne Stewart, I CAN NOT be for Philbilly. Man I miss Payne, great golfer, even better man.  :'(
Arkansas Football: It's the players running through the A, Hog Hats, and Big Red. It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "WOO PIG SOOIE!"

Arkansas Football: It's the State of Arkansas banding together behind one team, and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are... chosen. They wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks.

Together we stand as tall as the towers of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walk. And our blood flows Razorbacks Red. For 100 years we've been Hogwild and today we continue the tradition.

We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: pigture perfect on June 22, 2009, 11:11:44 am

What in the world does Phil winning a golf tourney have to do with his wife's cancer??

That's all ESPN BS. 

This year millions of women will be diagnosed with breast cancer and fight brave battles for their health.  Just because their husbands don't win a high profile golf tourney doesn't change what's really important in their lives -- just as Phil playing golf doesn't change his wife's cancer issues.

There's a million times more of life that has NOTHING to do with sport, and certainly has nothing to do with some jackass playing golf on TV!!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hogfan064 on June 22, 2009, 11:13:23 am
Ever hear of Houston Nutt

Good point.  I'd have to say that would be a photo finish!!

Oklahawg

Darn few of these guys have the internal fortitude to not wilt under pressure.

Phil is guilty of having had a case of nerves over the years.

I like Phil - he's a lefty also!
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

rogersvillemohog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 22, 2009, 11:20:02 am
What in the world does Phil winning a golf tourney have to do with his wife's cancer??

That's all ESPN BS. 

This year millions of women will be diagnosed with breast cancer and fight brave battles for their health.  Just because their husbands don't win a high profile golf tourney doesn't change what's really important in their lives -- just as Phil playing golf doesn't change his wife's cancer issues.

There's a million times more of life that has NOTHING to do with sport, and certainly has nothing to do with some jackass playing golf on TV!!
Someone forgot there Starbucks this morning. But I do agree. 
Arkansas Football: It's the players running through the A, Hog Hats, and Big Red. It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "WOO PIG SOOIE!"

Arkansas Football: It's the State of Arkansas banding together behind one team, and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are... chosen. They wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks.

Together we stand as tall as the towers of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walk. And our blood flows Razorbacks Red. For 100 years we've been Hogwild and today we continue the tradition.

We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

Hoggy1

That's all ESPN BS. 

You really think Phil is 100% mentally "there" for this tourney, no.

That's where the talk of his wife's cancer comes in.  If he is able to fight off that thought and win one of the 4 biggest golf tournaments of the year, he deserves it.

Not too many people would be able to do that.
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

hogfan064

Duval back in it with that one

hogfan064

Glover and Phil now tied again at -3

I do care about golf and will pull for anyone else but Phil Mickelson.  He may be the biggest fraud and fake in all of professional sports.

how is he a fraud?  you must be a tiger fan

Zen_Hog

If Barnes loses, he'll remember this the rest of this life.

Root66

Since Tiger Woods has the entire sports announcing world behind him (even when he farts, as someone stated in another thread, they can do 15 minutes on how good it smells) I believe I'll root for about anyone else but him, including Mickelson.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: #69 on June 22, 2009, 11:37:55 am
how is he a fraud?  you must be a tiger fan

I like Phil and Tiger

hogfan064

Duval joins Phil and Glover for the lead

Hot_Town_Hog

Holy crap....Duval has a legit shot....Phil is blowing it with the putter.

hogfan064

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on June 22, 2009, 11:49:24 am
Holy crap....Duval has a legit shot....Phil is blowing it with the putter.

I'd love to see Duval win it

Phil at -2 now trailing Duval and Glover at -3.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: HoggyPetrino501 on June 22, 2009, 11:23:21 am
You really think Phil is 100% mentally "there" for this tourney, no.

That's where the talk of his wife's cancer comes in.  If he is able to fight off that thought and win one of the 4 biggest golf tournaments of the year, he deserves it.

Not too many people would be able to do that.

Obviously he is 100% there.  Those weeks he took off to "support his wife" was public relations.

If he really took that time off to be supportive of his wife, why did he just surprisingly come back just in time for the US Open.  Does his wife not need his support any longer??

In terms of raw talent, Phil is just below Tiger.  But what do his results say?  They say his heart and his head aren't nearly up to par with his talent level.  He has choked away several majors.  Everyone says that a major is a true test, not just of talent and ball striking, but also of heart and mind.

oldbear

Glover now at -4. Pars will win it.

cbjagman

June 22, 2009, 11:59:18 am #26 Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 12:01:04 pm by cbjagman
Quote from: Root66 on June 22, 2009, 11:40:16 am
Since Tiger Woods has the entire sports announcing world behind him (even when he farts, as someone stated in another thread, they can do 15 minutes on how good it smells) I believe I'll root for about anyone else but him, including Mickelson.
I too would like to know bigdaddyhawg's reasoning behind his calling Phil M. sport's biggest fraud. I also agree that the media's "lovefest" with Tiger gets very tiresome at times. No doubt he's a great golfer (arguably the best of all time); however, that's about all the media can ever talk about when he's playing. Heck, even when he's not, they can't resist bemoaning the fact of what would Tiger do.

hogfan064

Glover would have to pull off a major choke not to win it now

oldbear

My internet connection is killing me. Anyone else having problems with freezing?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Root66 on June 22, 2009, 11:40:16 am

Mickelson gets just as much "love" from all those talking heads, but he is not in the same category as Tiger.  Tiger has earned every bit of the attention he gets -- he's the greatest golfer of all time.  And don't get on me, I am a huge Jack Nicklaus fan.  He's my favorite all-time golfer.

Jim Furyk has a resume' equal to Phil's.  So does Els.  Singh has a better resume'.  But you'll never hear the ESPN's of the world kissing their behind's like they do little Phillie!

donewithdale

It will be a good story if any of the 3 of Phil, Duval or Glover wins.  For bigdaddy and his comments, I hope it is Phil. 

As far as Tiger coverage, I don't mind it.  We are fortunate enough to watch something special and Tiger backs up what they say with his play.  I don't find it necessary to hate greatness like so many do. 

hogfan064

Glover goes to 18 with a 2 stroke lead

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: oldbear on June 22, 2009, 12:02:45 pm
My internet connection is killing me. Anyone else having problems with freezing?

Too much traffic apparently....What bad timing!!!

pigture perfect

That's all ESPN BS. 

You need to be kicked squarely in the big daddy for that post. I don't believe this is ESPN crap. I have yet to see Amy in her hospital room on TV. I've heard Phil keeping people updated on her condition. That's all. He reported that she sent him to the Open with her blessing and said all she wanted at this point was to have the silver cup in her room.

Yes millions of women each year are diagnosed with breast cancer, but for those who have not had to deal with it, Mrs. Phil Mickelson makes them think about it.

oh, and go Phil. Win one for the little Mrs.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: pigture perfect on June 22, 2009, 12:30:05 pm
Yes millions of women each year are diagnosed with breast cancer, but for those who have not had to deal with it, Mrs. Phil Mickelson makes them think about it.

What???

oldbear

Living at this time with a close family member who is experiencing breast cancer, I am thankful for all of the attention that Phil and Amy Mickelson are bringing to this disease. I have always been a fan of Phil because he is one of the few professional athletes that you can count on to give what appears to be honest answers to questions in interviews. He is also one of the few that knows that it is the fans that make him his money and he signs as many or more autographs than anyone anywhere. He never tries to shy away from fans and is gracious to them all.

No, he does not always come through in the clutch. He sometimes makes bad decisions and sometimes his nerves appear to get the best of him. So what! That happens to many people, including athletes.

His support of his wife and his family is well known. He takes more family time than most. Which is the one thing that he and Tiger share in common; the family first attitude. He blew another one today, but I remain a fan. Hopefully, the attention he brings to breast cancer will bring more research money in and fewer families will have to deal with the horrendous circumstances that my family is dealing with now.

cbjagman

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 22, 2009, 12:02:47 pm
Mickelson gets just as much "love" from all those talking heads, but he is not in the same category as Tiger.  Tiger has earned every bit of the attention he gets -- he's the greatest golfer of all time.  And don't get on me, I am a huge Jack Nicklaus fan.  He's my favorite all-time golfer.

Jim Furyk has a resume' equal to Phil's.  So does Els.  Singh has a better resume'.  But you'll never hear the ESPN's of the world kissing their behind's like they do little Phillie!
Well if you're going to "dog" Phil for the media "kissing his behind" then you ought to have some qualms about the media being totally up Tiger's backside.....no matter what the talent level.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 22, 2009, 12:02:47 pm

Although Furyk, Els, and Singh have impressive resumes, you're forgetting the fact that Phil was born and raised in the US.

There's an obvious rivalry between Europe and the US in professional golf. Phil deserves more pub than those guys you mentioned not just for what he does on the course, but what he does off (in the US) as well.

hogfan58

June 22, 2009, 02:54:43 pm #38 Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 02:56:41 pm by hogfan58
Phil spends between 45m-1hr after EVERY round, no matter what he shoots, no matter what tournament, signing autographs and interacting with the fans. I'm not a big fan of Johnny Miller, but he made a comment yesterday regarding that it should be required of any golfer getting his PGA card to spend a tournament or 2 with Phil - to see how a professional should act and interact with the fans, because he knows they are the reason for the big paydays.

Phil was at Colonial in Ft. Worth a few years back and after his round, he and Amy were driving back from the course when they noticed a lemonade stand in front of a house. They stopped, bought a couple of cups from the little girl, and paid her with a $100 bill.  I'm sure Tiger does that all the time.

Phils' appeal to most golf fans is that he plays like they do, some bad shots, some good shots, some horrible shots, some great shots. His rounds are never boring and through it all, he makes a connection to the galleries. Tiger and Stevie's interactions with the galleries are usually to tell them to shut up or stop moving.

And it was extremely obvious watching the coverage on ESPN and NBC that they wanted Tiger to win so badly. They might as well just rename those networks Tiger TV - they are not objective in regards to him. And it's sad because he is great and doesn't need all the smoke being blown up his butt by the announcers - them doing that makes me root against him. If he makes a bad shot, it's a mud ball. If he misses a putt, it's a footprint. If he barely makes the cut (which I had no idea he did until it was mentioned sometime yesterday), it's the conditions or the wind or the weather or the green speed. Funny how 2 qualifiers didn't seem to have mud balls and footprints or whatever.
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...