10 (52.6%)
I will not boycott
9 (47.4%)
I am undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: June 05, 2016, 09:12:47 pm

BigBrandonAllenFan

Investors have pulled 6 billion out of Target's stock funds since their transgender bathroom and dressing room announcement.  IMO they self-destructed and are doomed companies.

I'm 110% with the boycott.

Who is in with the boycott?  Who's not? 

Buff

Every Target local to me has absolutely sh***y service.  I was boycotting them before this bathroom issue.

hog.goblin

I think they are counting on everyone forgetting about this issue within a couple of months.  If they wrong, heads are going to roll because they can't reverse this policy in the court of public opinion.

When it comes to business, you never cater to less than 1% of your customer base while spurning more than 75%.

Personally I think it's a buying opportunity if you can find the bottom because I think it's more likely this blows over after time.

hog.goblin

FYI, my wife shops at Target more than the Supercenter.  It's easier to get in and out of it, they have better products at competitive prices.  Thinking mainly clothes and household items.

She still gets all her groceries at a neighborhood market.

hog.goblin

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 24, 2016, 08:38:06 am
Out of curiosity, when you say household items are cheaper at Target, are you (or she) referring to cleaning / chemicals, etc or something else? 

I didn't say cheaper, I said better while competitive in price. I was referring to cookware, small appliances, furniture & decor, linens, baby furniture (cribs, high chairs, car seats), etc.

Basically everything but consumables.

pigture perfect

Target has little to no sporting goods. No Automotive. No man area when we can go hang out while the wife shops for stuff. And it's run by a bunch of Yankees. So I think we had about 8-10 receipts from there when I was doing my taxes. I don't think they will miss my minuscule amount, but I won't be using them either. I support the boycott.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hog.goblin

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 24, 2016, 09:12:10 am
My bad on the phrasing...  Thanks for the further info. 

No problem

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 24, 2016, 09:37:05 am
Target has little to no sporting goods. No Automotive. No man area when we can go hang out while the wife shops for stuff. And it's run by a bunch of Yankees. So I think we had about 8-10 receipts from there when I was doing my taxes. I don't think they will miss my minuscule amount, but I won't be using them either. I support the boycott.

Very true, almost nonexistent sporting goods, hardware, and automotive.  They gave decent book and electronic sections.

I rarely go to any store other than Home Depot, but Target is number two on my wife's list after the neighborhood market.

McKdaddy

My wife is a Target-oholic.  She's at SuperTarget 3-4x/week.  What few times I go to the store w/ her, Target is great for milf-watching (as is Panera)
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

McKdaddy

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 24, 2016, 10:46:48 am
There is ALWAYS MILF watching. 

ALWAYS. 

It is worth noting that Super Target (same as Target Greatland?) locations seemed to carry merchandise that was a bit higher quality and additional selection.  If Target was ever going to battle Wal Mart successfully, I thought many (if not all) of their locations should have used the Super Target / Greatland approach. 

Agreed, we experienced our first Super Target when we moved to Tulsa in 2001 and became instant fans.  "Regular" Target stores resulted in trips to additional big box stores for the wife to get what a regular Target invariably wouldn't carry.  We received a 2nd Super Target in Tulsa about 6 years ago....unfortunately for our checkbook, it is less than a 1/4 mile from our house.

BigBrandonAllenFan

In the last 6 weeks, Target stock price has fell from $83 to under $69 dollars a share.  Appx 14%.  We'll see where it goes from here.  Wal Mart stock price is up a dollar in that same 6 week frame, or appx +1.3%.  K-Mart stock is down from 18.65 to 13.30 in that frame, near 30%.

Kenny Hawgins

If Target breaks under $67, I may buy some puts on it.  I had a feeling that it'd drop a few weeks ago and am kicking myself for not acting sooner but hindsight is 20/20.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

hawgrunner

I'll never step foot in a Target again.

hog.goblin

Quote from: hawgrunner on June 17, 2016, 11:49:38 am
I'll never step foot in a Target again.

Just stay out of the bathroom you pervert!

hawgrunner

hog.goblin

Quote from: hawgrunner on June 17, 2016, 06:27:56 pm
you first

Wife went in yesterday with the kids.  She said they can't hold it any longer!

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 22, 2016, 10:38:07 pm
That is somewhat my thinking as well.  Neither company offers products that are of interest to me AND can't be found at other establishments at a lower price.  So sort of a boycott but really two stores offering nothing of value.
dude!  You missed the sale then.......55" curved Samsung tv ultra 4k for $799 ($400 off)

PP

Lieutenant Dan

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 24, 2016, 10:46:48 am
There is ALWAYS MILF watching. 

ALWAYS. 

It is worth noting that Super Target (same as Target Greatland?) locations seemed to carry merchandise that was a bit higher quality and additional selection.  If Target was ever going to battle Wal Mart successfully, I thought many (if not all) of their locations should have used the Super Target / Greatland approach. 

TJ Maxx has some of the best Milf watching of them all. 

BigBrandonAllenFan

March 02, 2017, 08:53:05 am #18 Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 10:04:23 am by BigBrandonAllenFan
If there was ever a lesson to be learned about mixing business with trending politics, Target is the lesson to learn.  Target shares dropped 12% in a single day on 2/28 and have continually trended downwards since the day they announced their twisted sister bathroom policy in accordance to kiss Obama's @ss (which they have since rescinded), and the shares are now within about 3% of hitting 5 year lows.

QuoteTarget shares dive on earnings outlook, price cut plans

By Nandita Bose and Richa Naidu | NEW YORK

Target Corp (TGT.N) said on Tuesday it will rely more on low prices to compete with rivals like Wal-Mart and Amazon, admitted many of its stores needed freshening up, and told Wall Street its sales and profit estimates for 2017 are too high.

Shares of the retailer plunged to 2-1/2-year lows in heavy trading. For investors, the news was a shocking reminder that U.S. retailing remains a cutthroat business.

Target vowed aggressive promotions at a meeting with analysts and investors, saying new brands and investments in technology and small stores will allow it to eventually win back market share.

Although its e-commerce operation is growing, Target reported its third straight quarter of lower sales from existing stores, citing "unexpected softness" at its stores.

Target also forecast first-quarter profit short of Wall Street estimates. Shares sank 12.1 percent to $58.79, their biggest one-day percentage drop since 2008.

The stock has lost a quarter of its value since the holiday shopping season started in November, back to levels last seen in August 2014.

The retail industry faces pressure from lackluster U.S. economic growth, intense competition from Amazon.com (AMZN.O) and other online rivals and concerns about President Donald Trump's planned border tax.

With Tuesday's announcement, Target's brand identity as a source for "cheap chic" fashion and other low-cost stylish goods is giving way to the push for lower prices, analysts said.

That prompted declines across the retail sector. Dow component Wal-Mart Stores Inc (WMT.N) closed down 1.1 percent, Kroger Co (KR.N) fell 1.3 percent and Macy's Inc (M.N) lost 1 percent. Dollar General Corp (DG.N) fell 4.9 percent and Dollar Tree (DLTR.O) was down 3.6 percent.

Shares of Amazon, whose market cap exceeds all those companies combined, closed down slightly.

The drop in Target shares also reflects missteps by the company, said Kim Forrest, senior equity research analyst at Fort Pitt Capital Group in Pittsburgh.

"Target didn't do its job of trying to engage its customers and the theory is they may have lost the ability to do it," she said. "That's what the (stock) market is telling you."

ricepig

I seriously doubt their problems exist because of any political stand, it's more the business model, and the changing shopping habits of millennial.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: ricepig on March 02, 2017, 10:25:14 am
I seriously doubt their problems exist because of any political stand, it's more the business model, and the changing shopping habits of millennial.

All I know is the timeline fits like a brushed suede glove.  In that manner, I would respectfully disagree that politics has not taken it's toll on Target.

Now that the 2016 numbers for Target have been compiled, the gloomy recent past in sales is causing further decline.  Target states they are opening more stores, while most market analysts say they should be closing stores.  We'll see how that works out as time continues to go by.

Ten months after their bathroom fiasco, I still haven't been in a Target store, even though I have shopped in most every other store in Conway that it is in the same shopping center as Target.  And that is still intentional.  I'm not alone.  I have ten shopping family members that haven't resumed business with Target, and may never.

ricepig

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 02, 2017, 10:58:39 am
All I know is the timeline fits like a brushed suede glove.  In that manner, I would respectfully disagree that politics has not taken it's toll on Target.

Now that the 2016 numbers for Target have been compiled, the gloomy recent past in sales is causing further decline.  Target states they are opening more stores, while most market analysts say they should be closing stores.  We'll see how that works out as time continues to go by.

Ten months after their bathroom fiasco, I still haven't been in a Target store, even though I have shopped in most every other store in Conway that it is in the same shopping center as Target.  And that is still intentional.  I'm not alone.  I have ten shopping family members that haven't resumed business with Target, and may never.

Target isn't relying on some hayseed from central Arkansas for their sales. Their biggest problem is price, and supply. They have a distribution system that's way behind their competitors, leaving shelves empty, or poorly stocked. Their problems have been on going for years.

DeltaBoy

All the Targets have done so far is nothing , We had a Family bathroom at our target for long time along with the bigger men's and women's bath rooms.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: ricepig on March 02, 2017, 12:57:04 pm
Target isn't relying on some hayseed from central Arkansas for their sales. Their biggest problem is price, and supply. They have a distribution system that's way behind their competitors, leaving shelves empty, or poorly stocked. Their problems have been on going for years.

I can buy some of that.

But here are some documented facts with comparison> 

The day of Febuary 28th, Target lost 12% in share price, while Wal mart lost 2% the same day. Wal Mart instantly began a rebound the next day. Target didn't, and that was with the DOW surging up 300 points the next day. Target stayed flat. That is a very bad omen for the near future. When the market surges and you are laying flat on your back, you are in a bad way.

Check the one year charts for the Wal Mart and Target. Wal Mart is currently running very near a one year high. Target is far from that order.

Fact> Target shares are down 27% in the last full year, while Wal Mart shares are up 10% in the last full year.  That Target crash began instantly after the twisted sister bathroom policy was announced.  There isn't much to dispute in that regard.

https://www.google.com/#q=walmart+stock+price&*

https://www.google.com/#q=target+stock+price&*

And I prefer to be called "chicken scratch" as opposed to "hayseed".  ;D

ricepig

Target went down because of poor earnings, a lot which is attributed to their selling of CVS pharmacy. If it makes you feel better to boycott them, then go ahead. I've read nowhere that their earnings were affected by a boycott, and I personally don't care, I don't use public bathrooms, if I can avoid it, lol.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/heres-why-target-tgt-stock-183606629.html

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: ricepig on March 02, 2017, 03:34:49 pm
Target went down because of poor earnings, a lot which is attributed to their selling of CVS pharmacy. If it makes you feel better to boycott them, then go ahead. I've read nowhere that their earnings were affected by a boycott, and I personally don't care, I don't use public bathrooms, if I can avoid it, lol.

RP, this is from your link to Ryan McQueeny's personal opinion of what is going on with Target> 
QuoteBottom Line

Today was not a good day for Target investors, and you can add the bullseye brand to the list of retailers who have struggled recently. However, all hope is not lost, and there remains some positive signals for both Target and the industry as a whole.

Author, Ryan McQueeny states (in his opinion), "...there remains some positive signals for both Target and the industry as a whole."

Again, the "industry" is not suffering as a whole.  Wal Mart is doing just fine... Thriving in fact.  As evidenced by retail mutual fund prices, other retailers are in fact gaining, like Wal Mart.  For the author to tie Target into the industry as a whole at this point is a misfit.

And mostly, McQueeny's premise of "positive signals for Target"...??  What positive signals?  List them please as it pertains to Target.  I can't find a single dang positive anything that relates to Target last year, now, or next year...So I automatically know Ryan McQueeny is throwing under handed... (he has a chip in the stack somewhere...  or he is just stupid as a gord).   

BigBrandonAllenFan

Target is adding stores, but analysts say they should be cutting locations instead

Bloomberg
By Tonya Garcia
Published: Mar 2, 2017 7:29 a.m. ET

Analysts believe the $7 billion Target is investing in a company overhaul is a positive

Target has announced a multibillion-dollar overhaul of the business that will include store redesigns and other changes.

While much of retail is focused on scaling back the brick-and-mortar footprint, Target Corp. said on Tuesday that its stores, both existing ones and the small-format stores to come, will be critical to the growth of the company's business. But analysts wonder if the company should consider some closures in order to free up funds for the many projects the retailer has planned.

During the company's financial community meeting, which took place shortly after the release of the retailer's fourth-quarter earnings, Target outlined its strategy for the future, which includes a $7 billion investment over the next three years. In that time, the company plans to revamp more than 600 of its approximately 1,800 locations, and open more than 100 small-format stores.

The small-format stores will be focused on urban markets with dense populations and college campuses. Thirty of these stores will open in 2017. Target began rolling out smaller stores in cities in 2012, and opened 13 of them in places like Chicago, New York and Philadelphia in 2016.

Notice a couple things about this article.

1st, it is published by Bloomberg, whom are well known leftists with a political agenda, laying in the same political bed as Target's board of directors and CEO.

2nd, notice that the smaller format stores are to be located near college campuses.  Do you wonder why?  I can tell you why...Because college campuses are 90% liberal leftists, and furthermore, at age 21 they pay no attention to policies set by Target, or by anyone else for that matter.  Call it going to a safe zone for Target.  Problem is, and you can mark this down, it won't work.  When a company that sells things for the newborn baby all the way up to the grandma has to key in on a small sector of the population for sustenance, in my assessment, it isn't a good sign.  And that is exactly the Target logic behind the "college campus" plan.  All the while, Wal Mart can build a new store in the middle of a cow field on the outskirts of town and people will come, and then people build neighborhoods all around it..  I.E.> Wal Mart on Dave Ward Drive in Conway, Ar.

We're going to find out just how deep Target's pockets are, because they need 5 years to recover. 

woodrow hog call

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 02, 2017, 02:09:06 pm
All the Targets have done so far is nothing , We had a Family bathroom at our target for long time along with the bigger men's and women's bath rooms.

How big do you gotta be to go in the bigger men's and women's rooms?
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

ricepig

Quote from: woodrow hog call on March 02, 2017, 05:23:51 pm
How big do you gotta be to go in the bigger men's and women's rooms?

If you have to ask, you're not big enough.

hog.goblin

Quote from: ricepig on March 02, 2017, 12:57:04 pm

Don't underestimate the number hayseeds in the south.

We mainly shop at Target because we can park close to the door.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: ricepig on March 02, 2017, 05:54:14 pm
If you have to ask, you're not big enough.

Darn it, that is what I was afraid of.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

ricepig

Quote from: hog.goblin on March 02, 2017, 06:39:19 pm
Don't underestimate the number hayseeds in the south.

We mainly shop at Target because we can park close to the door.

Truthfully, I seldom shop there. I used to buy my kids video games there, as they had them in adequate stock, but they've outgrown those. Since Christmas I've shopped there some as I ended up with a Target gift card in a Dirty Santa game. There really isn't anything besides some every day food that I've found that I want to get there, and it's higher priced than WM or Kroger.

BigBrandonAllenFan

March 03, 2017, 08:15:10 am #32 Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 08:31:15 am by BigBrandonAllenFan
Quote from: ricepig on March 02, 2017, 03:34:49 pm

RP, it depends on who is doing the analyzing.  Here are multiple links that have a different decree and indeed point to the twisted sister bathroom policy as the base of Target's dismal, waning sales>

1. https://cabotwealth.com/daily/divide...led-tgt-stock/
2. https://www.toddstarnes.com/column/t...boycott-surges
3. http://seekingalpha.com/article/3969...athroom-policy
4. http://www.businessinsider.com/targe...million-2016-8

... just to give a few, and I hope it helps in understanding how disenfranchising a huge customer base affects the bottom line. Because here are the facts:

- Target immediately had drop in sales after the announcement; their CEO/CFO explained that "low traffic" was the cause
- that was the first quarter of reduced traffic in several years of growth
- it wasn't the last -- each consecutive quarter has the same story

When 1.5 million people are pissed off enough to SIGN THE BOYCOTT... then I wonder what that number looks like when you include those that (for whatever reason) didn't sign it but quietly picked other stores on their own? $1.5m potential customers isn't a small dealio...

[above context borrowed from The Zou at SECFanatics.com  Good political THINK TANK there]
http://www.secfanatics.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104652&page=14

ricepig

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 03, 2017, 08:15:10 am
RP, it depends on who is doing the analyzing.  Here are multiple links that have a different decree and indeed point to the twisted sister bathroom policy as the base of Target's dismal, waning sales>

1. https://cabotwealth.com/daily/divide...led-tgt-stock/
2. https://www.toddstarnes.com/column/t...boycott-surges
3. http://seekingalpha.com/article/3969...athroom-policy
4. http://www.businessinsider.com/targe...million-2016-8

... just to give a few, and I hope it helps in understanding how disenfranchising a huge customer base affects the bottom line. Because here are the facts:

- Target immediately had drop in sales after the announcement; their CEO/CFO explained that "low traffic" was the cause
- that was the first quarter of reduced traffic in several years of growth
- it wasn't the last -- each consecutive quarter has the same story

When 1.5 million people are pissed off enough to SIGN THE BOYCOTT... then I wonder what that number looks like when you include those that (for whatever reason) didn't sign it but quietly picked other stores on their own? $1.5m potential customers isn't a small dealio...

[above context borrowed from The Zou at SECFanatics.com  Good political THINK TANK there]
http://www.secfanatics.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104652&page=14

Must be something wrong with my browser, I couldn't get a single one of those to open. We'll the seekingalpha did up to a E-trade conference call, but I didn't click on the 2005 conference call.

I suspect the got about as many "twisted sister's" to shop their more often, I don't really care. The fact is their foot traffic is down a little, but their average sales per visitors is down much more. They can close the doors, it won't make a difference to me or not.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: ricepig on March 03, 2017, 10:29:43 am
Must be something wrong with my browser, I couldn't get a single one of those to open. We'll the seekingalpha did up to a E-trade conference call, but I didn't click on the 2005 conference call.

I suspect the got about as many "twisted sister's" to shop their more often, I don't really care. The fact is their foot traffic is down a little, but their average sales per visitors is down much more. They can close the doors, it won't make a difference to me or not.

Now they should work.  Somehow when I copied and pasted it elimminated part of the link address.

https://cabotwealth.com/daily/dividend-stocks/how-targets-bathroom-policy-killed-tgt-stock/

https://www.toddstarnes.com/column/target-stock-plummets-as-bathroom-boycott-surges

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3969929-targets-stock-get-flushed-bathroom-policy

http://www.businessinsider.com/target-boycott-costs-20-million-2016-8

McKdaddy

We (err, the wife) are still staunch Super Target shoppers.  The wife got addicted to Super Target when we moved to Tulsa in 2002.  We had a WMT SuperCenter open much closer to our home in 2006, but she continued to travel farther to ST, citing her hate for WMT (one point on which she and I agree).  Then in 2009 a ST opened 1/8-mile from our home and that cemented what was already a firm relationship.  While she proclaims to be a conservative, the bathroom policy didn't affect her convenience and preference for ST over WMT.  So we are doing are part 3-4 days per week to keep Target less in the hole.  I could care less where she shops, so long as I'm not the one doing it.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: ricepig on March 03, 2017, 10:29:43 am
They can close the doors, it won't make a difference to me or not.

Sad part is, Target used to be a really good dealio for Arkansas.  They had a distribution center in Maumelle along with a solid store presence around the state.  Now that distribution center has been closed.  The McCain Blvd store in NLR has been there for what?...35+ years?  Why would the CEO take such solid ground from his own plate and feed it to the dogs?

I just don't understand how Target figured that stores located especially in the southern and central US would not suffer from the politically based bathroom policy.

I'm sure the culture is different in Minneapolis where Target is HQ'd-(if I'm not mistaken), but anyone with half a business brain would know that different areas of culture in the US reflect completely different values.

IMO, it will take a new CEO along a major rearrangement of the board along with a "no politics mixed with business" approach to recover.  I'm very surprised the Target CEO hasn't been ousted already.  That is the only way customers will begin a new era with Target.

I'll guarantee you if the CEO was fired for his ignorance, and a guarantee was made by the new CEO to steer clear of political agendas, people would begin to return, and stock prices would begin a quick recovery.  Without that, they could be doomed. 

ricepig

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 04, 2017, 08:57:54 am
Sad part is, Target used to be a really good dealio for Arkansas.  They had a distribution center in Maumelle along with a solid store presence around the state.  Now that distribution center has been closed.  The McCain Blvd store in NLR has been there for what?...35+ years?  Why would the CEO take such solid ground from his own plate and feed it to the dogs?

I just don't understand how Target figured that stores located especially in the southern and central US would not suffer from the politically based bathroom policy.

I'm sure the culture is different in Minneapolis where Target is HQ'd-(if I'm not mistaken), but anyone with half a business brain would know that different areas of culture in the US reflect completely different values.

IMO, it will take a new CEO along a major rearrangement of the board along with a "no politics mixed with business" approach to recover.  I'm very surprised the Target CEO hasn't been ousted already.  That is the only way customers will begin a new era with Target.

I'll guarantee you if the CEO was fired for his ignorance, and a guarantee was made by the new CEO to steer clear of political agendas, people would begin to return, and stock prices would begin a quick recovery.  Without that, they could be doomed. 

You can guarantee??

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: McKdaddy on March 04, 2017, 08:52:59 am
We (err, the wife) are still staunch Super Target shoppers.  The wife got addicted to Super Target when we moved to Tulsa in 2002.  We had a WMT SuperCenter open much closer to our home in 2006, but she continued to travel farther to ST, citing her hate for WMT (one point on which she and I agree).  Then in 2009 a ST opened 1/8-mile from our home and that cemented what was already a firm relationship.  While she proclaims to be a conservative, the bathroom policy didn't affect her convenience and preference for ST over WMT.  So we are doing are part 3-4 days per week to keep Target less in the hole.  I could care less where she shops, so long as I'm not the one doing it.

The thing is, as you say, the super Targets are really nice.  Very clean stores.  Like with your family deal, my wife does 98% of the shopping for the family.  My wife used to frequent the super Target in Conway on a regular basis.  But my wife was completely opposite of your wife when it came to the bathroom thingy.  She was appalled by Target's twisted sister bathroom policy, and she shut completely down with Target.  She never signed the boycott online, but she joined in with the boycott tooth and nail.

Some people could care less about the policy, and to some people it matters greatly, obviously.  As a retail company, you can't afford to divide between the two.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2017, 09:03:27 am
You can guarantee??

Of course there are no guarantees in life other than paying taxes. 

But I can tell you this, RP, if a new CEO were announced Monday morning complete with an announcement of "...no politics involved...", I'd be one of the first people to buy some Target stock Monday morning and catch the resurgence.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Some thing I do find strange though, TJ Maxx, which followed Target's lead, is running near even with last year's stock price, actually slightly ahead.  They haven't really gained, but they haven't suffered like Target.  Of course they are two completely different types of retailers too.

McKdaddy

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 04, 2017, 09:08:47 am

Some people could care less about the policy, and to some people it matters greatly, obviously.  As a retail company, you can't afford to divide between the two.

I'm the moderate of the family, but can't stand cow-towing to the vocal few.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 04, 2017, 09:23:44 am
Some thing I do find strange though, TJ Maxx, which followed Target's lead, is running near even with last year's stock price, actually slightly ahead.  They haven't really gained, but they haven't suffered like Target.  Of course they are two completely different types of retailers too.
Putting aside for a moment the transgender bathroom tripe if one is really looking at which retailer is likely the best going forward, at least from an investment standpoint, just take a look at either Burlington Stores (BURL) and/or Ross Stores (ROST). In a very challenging retail environment from the standpoint of sales, gross margins, and earnings growth those are the two major standouts, especially the former. And while their stock price is reflective of their success, over the next one to two years IMO you will continue to profit from their strong and very capable management.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 04, 2017, 11:15:57 am
Putting aside for a moment the transgender bathroom tripe if one is really looking at which retailer is likely the best going forward, at least from an investment standpoint, just take a look at either Burlington Stores (BURL) and/or Ross Stores (ROST). In a very challenging retail environment from the standpoint of sales, gross margins, and earnings growth those are the two major standouts, especially the former. And while their stock price is reflective of their success, over the next one to two years IMO you will continue to profit from their strong and very capable management.

Sound advice IMO, V8.

I like Burlington too.  As you say, the management has always appeared solid and they will likely always produce dividends.  As long as Burlington keeps within it's boundaries, meaning larger urban areas such as Little Rock, Birmingham, and the likes, they will prosper, just as their past proves.

I like Ross even more because of their potential for expansion into medium range markets, such as with their new location in Conway, Ar., that would be the one my wife has already found  ::) ..  Ross is definitely a company on the grow.

ricepig

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 04, 2017, 12:48:09 pm
Sound advice IMO, V8.

I like Burlington too.  As you say, the management has always appeared solid and they will likely always produce dividends.  As long as Burlington keeps within it's boundaries, meaning larger urban areas such as Little Rock, Birmingham, and the likes, they will prosper, just as their past proves.

I like Ross even more because of their potential for expansion into medium range markets, such as with their new location in Conway, Ar., that would be the one my wife has already found  ::) ..  Ross is definitely a company on the grow.

Burlington is going into smaller markets, we got one about year or so here in Jonesboro.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2017, 01:50:38 pm
Burlington is going into smaller markets, we got one about year or so here in Jonesboro.
One other thing that I believe helps both BURL and ROST is they tend to go for smaller stores than the average TGT or TJX. And while some would argue that a smaller store or "footprint" doesn't allow for as large a selection when it comes to merchandise, that hasn't seemed to negatively impacted their sales per square foot. In fact, they've consistently been some of the best in the industry year after year. One other HUGE factor that help both Burlington and Ross Store: very efficient inventory control; both stores have been extremely nimble in being able to respond to the almost constant vagaries of fashion. This is especially true when it comes to the almost insane world of women's tastes which seem to often change ten times in twelve minutes.  ;)

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 04, 2017, 03:00:47 pm
You're wife stays busy doesn't she, BigBrandonAllenFan?
When it comes to wives and shopping I've found most do. ;) ;) :D 8)

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 04, 2017, 03:00:47 pm
You're wife stays busy doesn't she, BigBrandonAllenFan?

Yes, spending my paycheck keeps her hopping.  She only has two weeks til she has to start all over again.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 04, 2017, 02:57:59 pm
A bit off point, and I might be wrong here, but I don't think the Conway location is a Super Center Target (whatever the largest of the Target's is/are called).

I'm not sure either.  I know Conway Target does have a full grocery store inside.  I had assumed that was the "Super" part.