Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tues-Thurs (10/24-10/26/17) updates: Chaney close (down to UA, TA&M, TCU)

Started by Kevin McPherson, October 24, 2017, 09:45:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin McPherson

* '18 Hog offer Reggie Chaney (6-8 PF, Findlay Prep) told me last night that Hog coaches should be in to see him on Wednesday (tomorrow). With all 5 OVs taken (in order: UA, TA&M, OKSt, Wichita St, and TCU), Chaney is expected to announce soon. Could be wrong, but I think Mike Anderson, Melvin Watkins, Scotty Thurman, and possibly TJ Cleveland will all trek to Vegas tomorrow for one last pitch.

Up until Thursday, I've been thinking Arkansas held a slight lead over TA&M and TCU. What I was told by a source on Thursday, followed by Feron Hunt's decommitment from TCU on Friday (part of my source info on Thurs was that TCU was trying to get a kid to de-commit to make room for Chaney), followed by a new "Crystal Ball" prediction that Chaney would pick TCU -- ALL coinciding within hours of Chaney's Friday arrival to Fort Worth for his last OV  -- led me to believe TCU was likely in the driver's seat. And maybe they are. But the same source said Arkansas, TA&M & even OKSt are also still in play.

Now, I've got another source in Texas who thinks it will be Arkansas. Also, if it comes down solely to where Chaney wants to play, I think it's Arkansas. There are several moving parts that I'm not sure have been resolved yet, stuff that I believe may have led to the delay in Jordan Phillips' commitment.

Right now based on all the stuff that's swirling, I'd say toss-up between Arkansas and TCU with TA&M & OKSt still in it. This is fluid and I could learn something new to cause me to favor one team over the others ... I'll bring updates here when I can.

* '20 Hog recruit Chris Moore (6-6 CF, Wings Elite) -- who's expecting coaches from Marquette and Oklahoma State in to see him practice at West Memphis this week -- told me today he's looking at taking another unofficial visit to Fayetteville, probably sometime in December for a Hog home game.

Coaches from Oklahoma State, Old Dominion, and Wyoming are expected to be at SWChristian Academy (SCA) on Wednesday, focusing on '18 recruits Jahbril Price-Noel, Shakur Daniel, Simeon Jovic (who holds an Old Dominion offer), and Ivan Hadzic, along with '19 Hog recruit Tim Ceaser.

Kevin McPherson

More Tues (10/24/17) updates ... just gonna copy and paste my tweets here that are related to '20 in-state ballers Davonte Davis and Jaylin Williams ...

* '20 @DevoFor3 (6-3 PG, Wings Elite) w/a moster gm tonite = 33 pts, 10 rbs, 7 ast to lead J'ville Lighthouse over Saline Co Christian, 85-64! @DevoFor3 has reported offers from SMU, SoMiss, Abilene Christian, plus interest from the Hogs. Eric Miles chipped in 16 pts, 5 rbs tonite.

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/923031408599339008

* '20 PF @Jay_MWilliams_ of FSNorthside & ARHawks was recently measured at 6-9, & may grow to 6-11! I saw him get 21 & 11 in recent practice!

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/923032427181821953

azhog10

Could we see Phillips decommit if Chaney commits? Your wording about Phillips and how it ties to Chaney seem interesting.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on October 24, 2017, 11:21:54 pm
What's the ceiling for Tim Ceaser and what position do you foresee him playing in college? Would be great to see another big man from Arkansas, and I'm interested in seeing how he progresses the next season.

Tim's a 6-8 power forward with good length, broad shoulders, good athleticism, and talent. Still raw in several areas (i.e. not getting wide/not posting up correctly) and his motor is not always engaged, but he has good touch facing up, has good vision/awareness as a passer, and he rebounds in and out of his area. I think he's a high-major who still needs development and maturation. He's a junior at SWChristian Academy, so he's facing D-1 bigs with size, skill, and talent in practice every day.  He has all the tools and opportunity in these next 2 years to become a very good player.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: azhog10 on October 25, 2017, 10:06:06 am
Could we see Phillips decommit if Chaney commits? Your wording about Phillips and how it ties to Chaney seem interesting.

At this point, I don't think so. Also, it's not about an either-or scenario there. It's a bit more complicated than that. Will do my best to fill in blanks after the early signing period.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 24, 2017, 09:45:23 pm
* '18 Hog offer Reggie Chaney (6-8 PF, Findlay Prep) told me last night that Hog coaches should be in to see him on Wednesday (tomorrow). With all 5 OVs taken (in order: UA, TA&M, OKSt, Wichita St, and TCU), Chaney is expected to announce soon. Could be wrong, but I think Mike Anderson, Melvin Watkins, Scotty Thurman, and possibly TJ Cleveland will all trek to Vegas tomorrow for one last pitch.

Wed (10/25/17) updates ...

* Apparently, I was wrong. Reggie Chaney said he only expects Scotty Thurman to come out.

* OKSt and Memphis expected in today at NLR to see Moses Moody (Cowboys recently offered him) and other Charging Wildcats practice.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 25, 2017, 10:32:03 am
Wed (10/25/17) updates ...

* Apparently, I was wrong. Reggie Chaney said he only expects Scotty Thurman to come out.

* OKSt and Memphis expected in today at NLR to see Moses Moody (Cowboys recently offered him) and other Charging Wildcats practice.

Either we feel good about or chances or think we have no shot?

GrizzlyRider07

Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.
Don't Promise, Just Prove!

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on October 25, 2017, 12:16:13 pm
So what's your confidence level on Chaney right now Kevin?

Same as what I articulated in the OP last night. 

draftkings33

How does SW CHristian Academy all the sudden have all these D1 players?

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: draftkings33 on October 25, 2017, 12:49:16 pm
How does SW CHristian Academy all the sudden have all these D1 players?

This is their 4th season as an independent school. They recruit all over the world. They have good coaches who know how to recruit on the high-major level, so it comes as know surprise to me that they can get kids to come play there.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 25, 2017, 01:07:32 pm
This is their 4th season as an independent school. They recruit all over the world. They have good coaches who know how to recruit on the high-major level, so it comes as know surprise to me that they can get kids to come play there.

I wonder how the get all of the scholarship and sponsor money for the kids especially the ones from overseas.  I love what they are doing. I was just curious.

Razorod

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 25, 2017, 12:29:49 pm
Same as what I articulated in the OP last night. 
Wonder if Scotty will come back with a vibe one way or the other.

Also, I still think we can take at least one more visit out there after this one. Am I counting their visits with Chaney correctly? Maybe they're saving one last visit for all of them to go to make a final impression.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

draftkings33

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 25, 2017, 01:07:32 pm
Their coaches know how to recruit?  How?  It's High School right?

azhog10

Quote from: draftkings33 on October 25, 2017, 02:42:13 pm
Their coaches know how to recruit?  How?  It's High School right?
No governing or regulation body. There really are no rules for them. They just go around and find other schools like them, or other schools that will play them. They don't play for a "state" championship but can claim a "national championship with other independent schools.

Kevin McPherson

Late Wednesday (10/25/17) update ...

* I'm told we can eliminate OKSt from the Reggie Chaney sweepstakes, and 2 college assistant coaches told me today they've heard TA&M will get him. We knew it was likely boiling down to these 3 -- Hogs, TA&M, and TCU -- and though most of the recent noise has been pointing toward TCU or TA&M, I'm not counting Arkansas out. I think it's a close race between all 3, but right now I'd give a slight edge to the Texas schools. As I reported this morning ITT, Hogs' assistant Scotty Thurman was the only UA coach visiting Chaney today at Findlay Prep.

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

MakingPlays

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 25, 2017, 10:02:06 pm
Late Wednesday (10/25/17) update ...

* I'm told we can eliminate OKSt from the Reggie Chaney sweepstakes, and 2 college assistant coaches told me today they've heard TA&M will get him. We knew it was likely boiling down to these 3 -- Hogs, TA&M, and TCU -- and though most of the recent noise has been pointing toward TCU or TA&M, I'm not counting Arkansas out. I think it's a close race between all 3, but right now I'd give a slight edge to the Texas schools. As I reported this morning ITT, Hogs' assistant Scotty Thurman was the only UA coach visiting Chaney today at Findlay Prep.

I feel the law of averages has to kick in sometime for TA&M.  They've missed on every single one of their targets this Fall, and they normally recruit at a pretty high level, especially within Texas.  And looks like they've been going all out for Chaney.  Hopefully Thurman's visit went well, would have felt a little better if the whole staff was going out there.  But looks like Coach A had media obligations today.

The_Iceman

Quote from: MakingPlays on October 25, 2017, 11:00:00 pm
I feel the law of averages has to kick in sometime for TA&M.  They've missed on every single one of their targets this Fall, and they normally recruit at a pretty high level, especially within Texas.  And looks like they've been going all out for Chaney.  Hopefully Thurman's visit went well, would have felt a little better if the whole staff was going out there.  But looks like Coach A had media obligations today.

They are an Adidas school and are no longer getting the benefit of the extra  $$$$$$. And I'm sure the threat of an FBI investigation is scaring kids off.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: MakingPlays on October 25, 2017, 11:00:00 pm

Thurs (10/26/17) update ...

Remember, Reggie told me he'd probably take a week to make a decision after his final OV to TCU (which ended just 4 days ago) ... it's possible his decision will be finalized sometime next week, and maybe Hog coaches have been told that and are waiting to send the staff then. Not saying that's for sure the case, just a reasonable possibility.

Also, my source in Texas told me again he's still hearing it will be Arkansas. Lots of mixed info from multiple sources, so as of now I'm readjusting to a toss-up between Hogs, TA&M, and TCU = my confidence level is currently a 3.33 for each school on a scale of 1-to-10.

mhuff

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 26, 2017, 09:23:02 am
They are an Adidas school and are no longer getting the benefit of the extra  $$$$$$. And I'm sure the threat of an FBI investigation is scaring kids off.

You would have to have a loose screw to go to A&M. Obviously, it is a leper colony. Plus, when you get ready to transfer, schools may not want the scrutiny that would come thereafter.

The_Iceman

There is no reason for a recruit to choose a&m or Miss State other than the extra Adidas $$$$$$$ they offered.

King Kong

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 26, 2017, 10:57:00 am
There is no reason for a recruit to choose a&m or Miss State other than the extra Adidas $$$$$$$ they offered.

Well I can understand a Kid from Texas staying in TX. But yes in most situations I agree

MakingPlays

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 26, 2017, 10:57:00 am

I'm sure a lot of kids don't pay attention to any of that and the schools that have been recruiting them (the one's that haven't got caught) are telling the kids don't worry about that scandal talk because it doesn't affect them.  And until they get caught, those schools are right. 

And TA&M is actually a pretty attractive spot for a big man right now.  They turned Williams into a into a sure fire lottery pick and pre-season SEC player of the year, and he wasn't a 5-star or McDonald All-American coming out of high school.  Plus they've had success with Tyler Davis, he's most likely a second round guy either this year or next year.  And although DJ Hogg is more a SF, he could throw him into the mix of being another forward/big man that's probably going to get drafted as well.  I'm sure TA&M is really pitching that, and that's why they probably have Chaney's ear right now.  Hopefully our staff can sell him on the development of Portis and Kingsley and how our system would fit his skill set better.

mhuff

This year if you have committed to TCU or get duped to sign with A&M, youre setting yourself up for a conflagration that will consume both schools after an investigation. Still think LeBlanc has separated and distanced himself from the fire storm yet to come.

The sharks are smelling blood on the water.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 26, 2017, 10:06:01 am
Thurs (10/26/17) update ...

Remember, Reggie told me he'd probably take a week to make a decision after his final OV to TCU (which ended just 4 days ago) ... it's possible his decision will be finalized sometime next week, and maybe Hog coaches have been told that and are waiting to send the staff then. Not saying that's for sure the case, just a reasonable possibility.

Also, my source in Texas told me again he's still hearing it will be Arkansas. Lots of mixed info from multiple sources, so as of now I'm readjusting to a toss-up between Hogs, TA&M, and TCU = my confidence level is currently a 3.33 for each school on a scale of 1-to-10.

Late Thurs (10/26/17) update ...

* I talked about this stuff tonite on the Recruiting Intelligence Report, but here are a couple of my tweets late tonite regarding the latest on Reggie Chaney (not much different than what we've already covered in recent days, other than a quote and who visited him this week) ...

- '18 Hog offer @reggie_chaney (6-8 PF) told me he had a "good talk" w/UA's @RustonRifle on Wed at Findlay Prep. TCU also visited him this wk.

- Decision could come any day! If not this wk, then likely next wk. I think OKSt & Wichita are out w/Hogs, TCU, TA&M still in it! Stay tuned!

HogFoo

i would love it if Chaney would quit playing and just say, he's all Hog baby.  haha... anxiety is a bish!   but, yeah, having him to go along with what we will have coming back, and hopefully Gafford will stay his 2nd year, cuz dude is a NBA talent right now!  If we have everyone , mostly come back with what we will have coming in, Final Four next season!  Heck, from talking to a friend of mine earlier tonight, (i have insomnia, hardly sleep) anyways, he's seen the team, and we were talking about how good it is.  He really believes this teamcould be a final four team this year.  we have the best guard combo in the country, and with Gafford looking like such a stud, CJ.Jones being the xfactor, if we can just get ANY kind of production out of Trey, this team will be hard to beat from the get go!  i know, ive mentioned i earlier, i thought we might take a minute to gell, perhaps lose some games early and then tear it up later in the season, but after seeing the red/white, it made me realize that may not be the case at all!  i'll sure be anxious to see what these exhibitions games look like.  i would love for CJ to stay on fire throughout non conf , and id love to see some more out of adrio.  we got a little glimpse of what he could do last year in that UNC game.  hopefully, he's worked on his mid range shot some all summer.  if he has, then look out!  scoring from everywhereeeeeeeee!  it definitely is gonna be a fun team to watch!   with football being down, itll be nice to have something to look forward too.   it kind of reminds me of the early 90s.   Football wasnt that great, but basketball was championship caliber.  it's kind of repeating itself!  hopefully in championships!   who knows!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............