Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cole Kelley's backup next year....

Started by hassettsportsman, November 22, 2017, 08:49:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hassettsportsman

If Ty is transferring, who will be CK's understudy next year?

Ex-Trumpet

Cole will be the backup to a yet to be determined Allen.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Großer Kriegschwein

Cooper Allen,

Distant cousin from Alma.
This is my non-signature signature.

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hassettsportsman

I was hoping some fantastic dual threat QB would want to come to the Hog universe to set some new records. 

lakecityhog

My hope is that not 1 single Razorback transfers until he gives himself and the new staff a chance. My guess is that we might very well see a LOT of new faces on the field next season.

Who will better fit the new scheme? Who will be given a chance to prove something on the field? Who will feel revitalized and maybe up his game?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 22, 2017, 08:51:57 am
Maybe Cole is the backup.

Depending on who comes and how they look this very probable. Kelly has shown little aptitude for passing so far.

jgphillips3

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

870hogfan

plumbhog

If he was offered by Petrino he can throw the ball.
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

SemperHawg

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 22, 2017, 08:57:08 am
Depending on who comes and how they look this very probable. Kelly has shown little aptitude for passing so far.
Hard to judge any QB's aptitude for passing behind this O-Line.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Depends on the coach and who he brings with him. I hope we see CK in some special packages at least. If his passing game is developed he could be a great qb.

MB Hog

Quote from: Captain Morgan on November 22, 2017, 09:10:46 am
Gerry Bohanon
I don't want Gus, but if he is hired, then Bohanon seems a likely choice for lots of PT given his Cam Newton-type of skill set.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: hassettsportsman on November 22, 2017, 08:56:21 am
I was hoping some fantastic dual threat QB would want to come to the Hog universe to set some new records. 

My opinion.  If Gus ends up at Arkansas, with 6 months to find a dual threat QB, my guess is Cole has probably started his last game at QB.  Cole is way too heavy and "slow footed" to be an effective D/T QB in Gus' style offense.

To be fair, if Cole has the time and space to get the big body up to speed, he can take it down-hill.  He did it a few times this year.

hogsanity

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on November 22, 2017, 09:32:17 am
My opinion.  If Gus ends up at Arkansas, with 6 months to find a dual threat QB, my guess is Cole has probably started his last game at QB.  Cole is way too heavy and "slow footed" to be an effective D/T QB in Gus' style offense.

To be fair, if Cole has the time and space to get the big body up to speed, he can take it down-hill.  He did it a few times this year.

Yea, in 6 months Gus could find a Sean White, or Franklin type.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ipigsooie

Quote from: MB Hog on November 22, 2017, 09:27:27 am
I don't want Gus, but if he is hired, then Bohanon seems a likely choice for lots of PT given his Cam Newton-type of skill set.

We get gus we may not get Bohannon.  We get Norvell we get Bohannon. I have a feeling if we get Gus Gerry bohannon will be an lsu tiger next year.

LAGNAF

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 22, 2017, 08:51:57 am
Maybe Cole is the backup.

If we'd like the offense to convert to a quicker hitting spread offense I can see this ^^^^^

ipigsooie

Problem with young qbs and Gus is that they won't be successful.  He doesn't develop qbs. Proven that he can't do it.  Best hope is we get a transfer. That seems to be his most effective strategy. Hope another university can develop someone and send them our way.

Piggfoot

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on November 22, 2017, 09:32:17 am

Cole needs to lose down to about 220.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 22, 2017, 09:49:56 am
Cole needs to lose down to about 220.

Agree with this, 240 or somewhere in there at the most I would think, he needs to be quicker to get going, he may never be any faster and wouldn't necessarily have to be but, he needs to a quicker first step or two.

Would love to see Bohannon and Noland red shirting together and learning the new system.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: hassettsportsman on November 22, 2017, 08:49:33 am

I wouldn't want to be under Cole Kelly.  That guy's really big.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: SemperHawg on November 22, 2017, 09:20:12 am
Hard to judge any QB's aptitude for passing behind this O-Line.

The line has nothing to do with a slow delivery and wobbling passes.

ap89

If we have a new coach that runs some sort of spread. Maybe Jarrod Barnes gets a look at qb.

SemperHawg

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 22, 2017, 10:06:21 am
The line has nothing to do with a slow delivery and wobbling passes.
You are probably right, full disclosure I am not near the QB guru that you appear to be so I will yield to the expert on this one.  I guess the point I was trying to make is I would think everything becomes more difficult to do well as a QB when you are constantly being pressured/running for your life back there.

1highhog

Uncommon

When a new coach is hired, I think Ty should go ahead and finish out the spring semester here and go through Spring ball.  If he's still behind Kelley, Hyatt, or Noland, he should then transfer because I think he is a redshirt Sophomore so he could possibly graduate this Spring, making him a graduate transfer and have immediate eligibility to play.

colbs

If Gus comes I wouldn't be surprised if Warren got a serious look at QB or at least a package where he was.  He was a QB in HS and probably faster than Nick Marshall.

MAGA45

I can see Cole heading to LA-Lafayette, LA Monroe or LA Tech in the offseason.  I don't see him starting another game as Hog QB. Just an opinion, don't see him as a high level D-1 QB.  The arm talent just isn't there like we were told and his steamboat package has just about puttered out.
Fake News

Uncommon

Quote from: colbs on November 22, 2017, 10:15:29 am
If Gus comes I wouldn't be surprised if Warren got a serious look at QB or at least a package where he was.  He was a QB in HS and probably faster than Nick Marshall.
He could by like a Kyler Murray but I don't know if he has the arm.

Uncommon

Quote from: MAGA45 on November 22, 2017, 10:19:01 am
I can see Cole heading to LA-Lafayette, LA Monroe or LA Tech in the offseason.  I don't see him starting another game as Hog QB. Just an opinion, don't see him as a high level D-1 QB.  The arm talent just isn't there like we were told and his steamboat package has just about puttered out.
I disagree.

HF#1

If Gus is the coach, I don't see Ty transferring. Cole possibly. I suspect we would get a commitment from Bohannon instantly.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

bphi11ips

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 22, 2017, 09:44:50 am
Problem with young qbs and Gus is that they won't be successful.  He doesn't develop qbs. Proven that he can't do it.  Best hope is we get a transfer. That seems to be his most effective strategy. Hope another university can develop someone and send them our way.

I've been trying to understand this line of Hogville thinking.

First, the notion that coaches "develop" QB's is overblown.  Coaches recruit QBs like every other player.  If they aren't great by the time they walk on campus they aren't likely to become great once they get there. 

Second, everyone seems to think that QBs all "develop" the same way, as if developing a QB means teaching them to step up in the pocket and go through progressions.  QBs are generally naturally suited for one type of offense or another.  That's why recruiting services break down QBs into "pro-style" and "dual threat".

If a QB is successful, a significant number of Hogville posters will claim the coach deserves the credit.  If he is unsuccessful, a significant number of Hogville posters will blame the coach.  That's just not the way it works in most cases.   
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HF#1

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 22, 2017, 10:21:10 am
I've been trying to understand this line of Hogville thinking.

First, the notion that coaches "develop" QB's is overblown.  Coaches recruit QBs like every other player.  If they aren't great by the time they walk on campus they aren't likely to become great once they get there. 

Second, everyone seems to think that QBs all "develop" the same way, as if developing a QB means teaching them to step up in the pocket and go through progressions.  QBs are generally naturally suited for one type of offense or another.  That's why recruiting services break down QBs into "pro-style" and "dual threat".

If a QB is successful, a significant number of Hogville posters will claim the coach deserves the credit.  If he is unsuccessful, a significant number of Hogville posters will blame the coach.  That's just not the way it works in most cases.   

The kid backing up Stidham is electric. He will be a star.

Gus's biggest mistake at Auburn was not having a backup plan for Jeremy Johnson. Sean White was never supposed to be the starting dude.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Con el Cerdos

November 22, 2017, 10:27:48 am #35 Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 10:54:11 am by Con el Cerdos
Quote from: hogsanity on November 22, 2017, 09:37:59 am
Yea, in 6 months Gus could find a Sean White, or Franklin type.

High opinion of Gus, I see.

Not gonna get in a piss match here.  But will just say for the folks that regret BB's almost certain firing and have no respect for Gus, you're going to see what it's been like for the folks that are not in the Bielema camp.  And a lot like myself who never were.  Never thought he was the right "fit" for Arkansas.  Only the "haves" in the SEC can recruit the type OL and DL to make his type offense work.

Gus may not be the answer but I'm willing to give him his try.  Surely can't be any worse than BB.

Just as a reminder, BB has a losing record against every SEC West team, except Ole Miss, in his 5 years of trying to win an SEC championship.

311Hog

Quote from: HF#1 on November 22, 2017, 10:27:10 am
The kid backing up Stidham is electric. He will be a star.

Gus's biggest mistake at Auburn was not having a backup plan for Jeremy Johnson. Sean White was never supposed to be the starting dude.
i get what you are saying but Sean White was an elite 11 QB, i got no idea why he failed so badly maybe that whole QB class is over rated or just bum shoulders all around.

tbhogfan

Hopefully, Ty is smart enough to see who the new coach is, and whether the new system is a fit for him before transferring.
Go Hogs!

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: 311Hog on November 22, 2017, 10:29:58 am
i get what you are saying but Sean White was an elite 11 QB, i got no idea why he failed so badly maybe that whole QB class is over rated or just bum shoulders all around.

I may be over simplifying the Auburn situation with White, but the times I watched their games, if he was anything, it was inconsistent in their passing game.

Hell, who really knows.  White might have been all conference running BB's offense.

majp51

Quote from: hassettsportsman on November 22, 2017, 08:49:33 am

Well here is the thing, who is to say Cole is Starting next year if Bielema isn't the coach?

Current Roster from the Univeristy web site:

8   Austin Allen   QB   Sr   6-1   215   Fayetteville, Ark.   Fayetteville HS
11   Daulton Hyatt   QB   Fr   6-4   188   Arab, Ala.   Etowah HS
15   Cole Kelley   QB   R-Fr   6-7   268   Lafayette, La.   Teurlings Catholic HS
18   Jack Lindsey   QB   R-Fr   6-2   194   Fayetteville, Ark.   Springdale HS
14   Carson Proctor   QB   R-Fr   6-4   212   Vero Beach, Fla.   Vero Beach HS

Austin will obviously be gone, but if there is a New Coach it could be anyone.  If I put Ironhog's Tinfoil "NWA Conspiracy" Hat , then I say Jack Lindsey is heir apparent :)

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

bphi11ips

Quote from: 311Hog on November 22, 2017, 10:29:58 am

Rafe Peavey was an Elite 11 QB.  Could Dan Enos just not develop him?

"Elite Camps" are about money. 

Sean White was a very poor fit for Malzahn's offense.  I wondered when he signed White what he was thinking.

Gerry Bohannon is tailor made for Malzahn and will probably start next year if they both wind up in Fayetteville:

https://www.hudl.com/profile/6798230/gerry-bohanon

Bohannon looks like a dangerous runner but needs a lot of work with footwork and mechanics.  He looks to have the arm-strength, though. Malzahn's run-pass ratio this year is 70/30.  Norvell's is 47/53.  Riley Ferguson is more Jarret Stidham than Nick Marshall.  Bohannon is a good fit for either, but he is a more immediate fit for Malzahn.

P.S. - Bohannon was an Elite 11 QB also.   
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

RebelliousHog

November 22, 2017, 11:48:57 am #42 Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 11:29:55 am by HenduHog
Like some of you, it depends on who we're hiring.  Pro style then CK would be fine but needs some fine tuning. He's way too heavy. He could drop  to 250 and be much more mobile and still be a load to bring down.

Spread coach? No way CK fits that.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

311Hog

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 22, 2017, 11:44:00 am
Rafe Peavey was an Elite 11 QB.  Could Dan Enos just not develop him?

"Elite Camps" are about money. 

Sean White was a very poor fit for Malzahn's offense.  I wondered when he signed White what he was thinking.

Gerry Bohannon is tailor made for Malzahn and will probably start next year if they both wind up in Fayetteville:

https://www.hudl.com/profile/6798230/gerry-bohanon

Bohannon looks like a dangerous runner but needs a lot of work with footwork and mechanics.  He looks to have the arm-strength, though. Malzahn's run-pass ratio this year is 70/30.  Norvell's is 47/53.  Riley Ferguson is more Jarret Stidham than Nick Marshall.  Bohannon is a good fit for either, but he is a more immediate fit for Malzahn.

P.S. - Bohannon was an Elite 11 QB also.   

So was Allen my point was that coming out of High School he was not considered an "also ran" that he was highly ranked etc. In fact if i remember right he "won" it.

Grunt

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 22, 2017, 08:50:28 am
Cole will be the backup to a yet to be determined Allen.
You don't think CK can start? If that's the case maybe Ty should stick around.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Rudy Baylor

this thread is full of Fantasy Football Superheroes

I'm truly dumber for having read it

Grunt

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 22, 2017, 08:57:08 am
It's hard to say about his passing if throwing off a sore foot.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Cartoon Man

I think Ty is more mobile than Cole, for the type offense we will probably see.

Hoggish1

ipigsooie

Quote from: HF#1 on November 22, 2017, 10:20:49 am
If Gus is the coach, I don't see Ty transferring. Cole possibly. I suspect we would get a commitment from Bohannon instantly.

Lsu may get an instant commitment. It's been said that Norvell will get Bohannon and we don't know if he will come with Gus.  It's pretty well known that he will commit if we hire Norvell.