Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Luke Ford

Started by TuckFexas81, June 28, 2017, 03:58:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tophawg19

Thank God you aren't a coach . No the staff has not given up . That's why he will be visiting soon to go through the process with our coaches . He has said there is still a chance he is a razorback and is still in touch with several of our players
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

NoogaHog

Quote from: tophawg19 on June 30, 2017, 03:30:22 pm
Thank God you aren't a coach . No the staff has not given up . That's why he will be visiting soon to go through the process with our coaches . He has said there is still a chance he is a razorback and is still in touch with several of our players

If he comes, great, if not, we will play with someone who loves the helmet. (Sorry couldn't resist)
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

King Kong

Quote from: HogFoo on June 30, 2017, 02:19:28 pm
Are you guys sure it was Goolsby that Smith had a relationship with?   I was thinking it was the player that ended up going to Lsu last season or season before.  I think that was a WR though. Cant think of his name.   

Yes I'm sure about his relationship with Goolsby. I think the WR you are thinking is Dupree who was a 5 star that went to LSU and was just drafted by Green Bay. Smith is his Uncle.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

sickboy

Quote from: jbcarol on June 30, 2017, 06:00:14 pm
https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/880909118613180417

Interesting he says he'd probably still be committed if we didn't have the "no visit" rule for commits. I guess it cuts both ways, right? How committed is a kid if he's visiting other schools, no matter hat name you slap on him, commit or not.

a0ashle

Quote from: sickboy on June 30, 2017, 06:40:18 pm
Interesting he says he'd probably still be committed if we didn't have the "no visit" rule for commits. I guess it cuts both ways, right? How committed is a kid if he's visiting other schools, no matter hat name you slap on him, commit or not.

I guess some people could see that policy as a bad thing if they want, but if that wasn't the policy 1) he might have decommitted much later, 2) it wouldn't be consistent with our player first mentality and 3) hogville would spend even more energy in a tizzy about "will he or won't he stay committed" (see basketball forum)

I think this policy is best for everyone.

ricepig

Quote from: a0ashle on June 30, 2017, 07:09:56 pm
I guess some people could see that policy as a bad thing if they want, but if that wasn't the policy 1) he might have decommitted much later, 2) it is consistent with our player first mentality and 3) hogville would spend even more energy in a tizzy about "will he or won't he stay committed" (see basketball forum)

I think this policy is best for everyone.

I've got no problem with the policy. Our recruits know Coach Bielema wants them to be 100% committed when they come out with their announcement to commit. I wonder if he was "still committed" if Alabama was still at the top after his visit, lol?

Some say it's hypocritical to have guys committed elsewhere to come visit us, not really, their school could have the same policy as us, some do, some don't.

Richard Davenport

If you visit other schools, you're not truly committed.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: 1highhog on June 30, 2017, 03:15:48 pm
I have as well and I hope our Coaches have.  IMO, which granted, isn't worth a hill of beans, this kids has the smell of Prima Donna all over him and to me it's better to stay away from these guys(Dorial Green-Beckham)comes to mind.  We have a good crop of TE's now that I know need some playing time, and I'm sure before this recruiting class is filled our coaches will have a very good TE to fill the void left from Ford leaving.

I've been around kids that act like they are God's gift to the world. I don't get that with Luke.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on June 30, 2017, 07:15:31 pm
I've got no problem with the policy. Our recruits know Coach Bielema wants them to be 100% committed when they come out with their announcement to commit. I wonder if he was "still committed" if Alabama was still at the top after his visit, lol?

Some say it's hypocritical to have guys committed elsewhere to come visit us, not really, their school could have the same policy as us, some do, some don't.

I understand where our staff is coming from, "don't commit unless you are 100% committed to us, otherwise, wait to make that commit". Got it, understand it.

But what if we get a kid that is committed elsewhere to come visit us and we flip him because he has never seen anything like what we have to offer that appeals to him and his parents to a greater degree than anywhere he has been before? Are we going to say, "nope, no offer, you are committed elsewhere"? Of course not if he is a kid that we want and feel we need. Why have him visit to begin with if the intent isn't to try to "flip" him?

I understand what the staff is attempting to engrain in kids with their commitment, but you can't have it both ways. It is just the same as the in-state kid who chooses say, Alabama over us based on their success in wins and putting kids in the NFL, and then gets there and finds that it isn't at all what he expected or was fed as a recruit. I see no reason to not give that kid a chance to earn his way back in at Arkansas after a transfer. You never know, might be a heckuva contributor to the team. Kids (and their parents) make judgement mistakes in looking at programs. Maybe we need to be a little more forgiving, pending re-evaluation.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 30, 2017, 07:36:15 pm
I understand where our staff is coming from, "don't commit unless you are 100% committed to us, otherwise, wait to make that commit". Got it, understand it.

But what if we get a kid that is committed elsewhere to come visit us and we flip him because he has never seen anything like what we have to offer that appeals to him and his parents to a greater degree than anywhere he has been before? Are we going to say, "nope, no offer, you are committed elsewhere"? Of course not if he is a kid that we want and feel we need. Why have him visit to begin with if the intent isn't to try to "flip" him?

I understand what the staff is attempting to engrain in kids with their commitment, but you can't have it both ways. It is just the same as the in-state kid who chooses say, Alabama over us based on their success in wins and putting kids in the NFL, and then gets there and finds that it isn't at all what he expected or was fed as a recruit. I see no reason to not give that kid a chance to earn his way back in at Arkansas after a transfer. You never know, might be a heckuva contributor to the team. Kids (and their parents) make judgement mistakes in looking at programs. Maybe we need to be a little more forgiving, pending re-evaluation.

Sure you can, if those kids wish to come visit us, then they aren't 100% committed to their school. Nobody forced them to commit to the school they are committed to, or come visit us.

King Kong

I understand the policy and I agree that if are still taking Visits you aren't 100% committed.

But I do feel if you don't make the kid decommitt prior to him taking other visits, you would have a greater chance of landing that kid on signing day when it counts. By making him decommitt you make it easier for the kid to feel less attached to the program

factchecker

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 30, 2017, 07:36:15 pm
It is just the same as the in-state kid who chooses say, Alabama over us based on their success in wins and putting kids in the NFL, and then gets there and finds that it isn't at all what he expected or was fed as a recruit. I see no reason to not give that kid a chance to earn his way back in at Arkansas after a transfer. You never know, might be a heckuva contributor to the team. Kids (and their parents) make judgement mistakes in looking at programs. Maybe we need to be a little more forgiving, pending re-evaluation.

Saban would never let a player transfer to another SEC program.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: King Kong on June 30, 2017, 07:43:40 pm
I understand the policy and I agree that if are still taking Visits you aren't 100% committed. But I do feel if you don't make the kid decommitt prior to h

So, how do you go about recruiting his replacement when he's "committed", but isn't? You've told guys we're only taking 1 at this position and you're recruiting a guy who says, "no way, you've got a guy already at my position". This way everyone knows where they stand.

King Kong

Quote from: ricepig on June 30, 2017, 07:47:08 pm
So, how do you go about recruiting his replacement when he's "committed", but isn't? You've told guys we're only taking 1 at this position and you're recruiting a guy who says, "no way, you've got a guy already at my position". This way everyone knows where they stand.

Sure, well assuming it a position that typically takes only one player per class (QB, TE or RB common position where this happens). I would tell said player as long as you are taking other visits we will continue to be recruiting and hosting other players that play your position.

As far as a player not being interested in that position because a player is currently already committed, easily that can happen. But in watching recruiting for many years there are always some kids that don't look to hard at the depth chart. Making what I would call questionable decisions with better players already committed.

woodrow hog call

Sounds like a very up front and honest young man to me, he understands and respects the rule CBB has about commits visiting other schools, but he thinks he wants to take his visits, so he makes a public statement that he is decommitting from us to abide by the rule, and then sets up his visits.

Kind of amazing that following the rules and being honest would be called into question or critiqued like it is.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

247Hog

Quote from: woodrow hog call on June 30, 2017, 08:35:57 pm
Sounds like a very up front and honest young man to me, he understands and respects the rule CBB has about commits visiting other schools, but he thinks he wants to take his visits, so he makes a public statement that he is decommitting from us to abide by the rule, and then sets up his visits.

Kind of amazing that following the rules and being honest would be called into question or critiqued like it is.

I agree completely with this but don't the coaches also tell a recruit this BEFORE they commit? If so, tell them said school is at the top of the list but want to take your officials.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

a0ashle

To those asking about "what if we flip a committed recruit" the answer is simple, if we stop portraying decommittments as some sort of character flaw in the recruit and treat it for what it is, kids making hard decisions, the problem goes away. You wanna flip to us, come on down to the hill.

HogFoo

I can see how this goes both ways.  I remember when texas under Mack brown used to do that.  Probably the 1st school that I remember that did it.  May have been others, but texas just sticks out to me for doing it.  I remember thinking that that was stupid.  And that I hoped our coaches never did that.   Which, at a school that had as much talent as say a texas, they could afford to do it because they always had a back up of other recruits that could come in and fill that spot.  Here, I just never thought that we could afford to do that to a kid.  Now, yes, I do agree if a player is visiting other schools and such, it says that they aren't fully committed... basically says they are committed unless something on a trip they like better makes them change their minds, and if it doesn't then they are saving their spot while still being committed to a school.  That's basically is what they are doing.

I know and understand why Bielema says it.  He tells the recruit right up front, makes sure they don't commit unless they are 100% sure they are ready.  He tells them that so that more or less they could check mark that position off if they are only taking 1 recruit at that position.  Then they can focus elsewhere.  Luke himself said that if that wasn't the policy that he'd still be ''committed''  to Arkansas pretty much.  Now again, in todays day and age, 'committing' doesn't mean anything until the player signs on the dotted line. 

I just don't know.  part of me says, it's good that we have the rule, and part of me says it's not.  there are obviously arguments that can be had from both views.  After thinking about it some, I think that I am leaning towards there NOT being a policy like the one Bielema has.   As someone stated, at the end of the day, if the player is visiting other schools but is still ''committed'' to Arkansas, then there is still that connection however little it is.  It still makes the player have to think about Arkansas.  With there now being no commitment, then it means that more or less Ford wouldn't have to think about Arkansas again  if he didn't want too.   So, thinking along that line, i'd say, it's probably better if we didn't have this rule.   

Need a poll....  should Bielema have this policy or not?  And see what other peoples thoughts are.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

PorkRinds

My vote is "it's CBB's ass on the line, he needs to do what he thinks is best".

presidenthog

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 01, 2017, 02:46:39 pm
My vote is "it's CBB's ass on the line, he needs to do what he thinks is best".
This is the best answer. I honestly am not in the position to make this call and I'm glad I'm not.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

SamBuckhart

Still hoping for him to be a HOG.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

zebradynasty

July 02, 2017, 08:14:05 am #73 Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 08:28:30 am by zebradynasty
Quote from: ricepig on June 30, 2017, 07:15:31 pm

Well it is hypocritical no way around that but hey BB still has to do what is best for the program and asking for 100% commitment isn't bad. Our margin of error in recruiting is so slim we can't afford to be chasing after kids that really have their interest elsewhere. Saban might have the same policy but how often does a school flip a Alabama recruit? I think we still have a shot at this kid as long as we don't treat him as if he's the devil and has burned bridges. We are talking about a teenager....most unpredictable species on earth!

Nosboar Accubond

Not being considered a commit is very different than not continuing to recruit or pulling an offer. The coaches continue to recruit the player hard and Luke knows he's our top choice. If he's visiting other schools then we treat it like any other kid we are recruiting, this rules keeps everybody on the same page. If Luke was commited then we wouldn't recruit other players for that slot.

jbcarol

rljjr

Good for him. Hope he enjoys a free education at the school of his choice.

tbhogfan

I hope that Luke ends up at Arkansas, but won't lose sleep if he doesn't.   

We are (and will continue to be) loaded at TE, with or without him.  I'd be much more concerned if we were talking about a top LB decommitting.
Go Hogs!

a0ashle

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 03, 2017, 09:58:06 am
Yeah he's not coming here.

I'm glad he decommitted now rather then later.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 03, 2017, 09:58:06 am
Yeah he's not coming here.

I bet he visits Texas and is wowed by their new $10,000 lockers and names them his leader. About the only way he comes to Arkansas is we get his last visit and the dead period starts while he's on the flight home. Hopefully we can steal Beal at of Shreveport.

bville_hog

Georgia is the new Ole Miss

jgphillips3

I'm not worried about this one.  We have TE's stacked up and quite possibly the top TE for next year is another Henry...who you have to like our chances to get.  I'd be more worried about losing elite linemen or LB's at this point than TE.  Don't get me wrong, it still sucks that he backed out but not as bad as other positions.

jbcarol

247Hog

I would love Luke to play for us and will continue to hope so until he signs with someone but damn, it just turned July and already getting tired of the show.

Before its said, yeah i got it...he's a teenager and why go in the thread, etc....  i'm a fan and he was committed to us at one time so hanging on to the end of the rope.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

Sivad

Quote from: bville_hog on July 03, 2017, 12:00:05 pm
Georgia is the new Ole Miss
Thats a high (and expen$ive bar) but you may be right.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Sivad on July 04, 2017, 12:25:44 am
Thats a high (and expen$ive bar) but you may be right.
he is. Kirby dirty
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

RagingHawgOn

I'll get crucified for this but......who cares?

Something about this kid doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. Ultra talented but wondering about his "core."

We'd be great at TE with him but we'll be great at TE without him.

Luke, find your place and have at it whether that's here or elsewhere.

Paul

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Richard Davenport on June 30, 2017, 07:18:42 pm
If you visit other schools, you're not truly committed.
RD, you pretty much summed things up in just a few words. Kinda like one poster earlier observed when he asked how would your wife or fiance' feel if you were still looking around ???

Soooie21

Quote from: sickboy on June 30, 2017, 06:40:18 pm
Just make your visits before you commit to a school...problem solved..

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Soooie21 on July 09, 2017, 09:59:19 am
Just make your visits before you commit to a school...problem solved..
Pretty much solves the debate and issue IMO.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Would've been great to get him but we don't need 10 tight ends.

Linebackers that eat crap for breakfast would be better for us.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on July 04, 2017, 03:15:53 pm
I'll get crucified for this but......who cares?

Something about this kid doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. Ultra talented but wondering about his "core."

We'd be great at TE with him but we'll be great at TE without him.

Luke, find your place and have at it whether that's here or elsewhere.

+100   just don't like how this kid went about things. His dad is all about the fame. We will sign a better TE anyways.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: woodrow hog call on June 30, 2017, 08:35:57 pm

Except he was on another campus and got caught! Honesty is not what happened here. He then decomitted after it got out that he was on a visit that he was dishonest about to the Arkansas coaches. I am in no way worried about the TE position. We will sign better.

presidenthog

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on July 09, 2017, 06:47:18 pm
Except he was on another campus and got caught! Honesty is not what happened here. He then decomitted after it got out that he was on a visit that he was dishonest about to the Arkansas coaches. I am in no way worried about the TE position. We will sign better.

This is the 1st I've heard of this.

ricepig

Quote from: presidenthog on July 09, 2017, 06:49:42 pm
This is the 1st I've heard of this.

Well, I'm not sure he was at Georgia yet, but he was for sure on his way, haha.

presidenthog

Quote from: ricepig on July 09, 2017, 07:08:28 pm

Well, I'm not sure he was at Georgia yet, but he was for sure on his way, haha.

So it's basically the gist of it though. Ok. Let a shut this thread down and move on.

aloha_kid

Quote from: factchecker on June 30, 2017, 07:45:02 pm
Saban would never let a player transfer to another SEC program.

Maurice Smith says hey.

http://247sports.com/player/maurice-smith-14161

Richard Davenport

This happens with a lot of kids and parents not familiar with recruiting which shouldn't be a big surprise because very seldom does a family have anyone that's been through the process. A lot of times coaches are good sources of info, but there are a lot of coaches that have never had a DI prospect so they're somewhat clueless and can't give good advice.

I can see both sides here. Luke made an early commitment without visiting several schools. If you visit a few schools you can start to think as Luke did and wonder if the decision was the right one.

If you're a coach, you've committed to the kid and often times will stop recruiting others thinking we have the guy we want.