Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grown Up Christmas List: Arkansas’ recruiting wish list includes prized 4-star

Started by jbcarol, December 24, 2016, 10:27:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Oklahawg

"Best recruiting class since 2017" = not a phrase offered around HV very often.

Modify: should read "best recruiting class since 2001."
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 25, 2016, 01:59:35 pm
However, it would fit well into the site's world famous "scientific rocket" observation(s). 8)

Oklahawg

Ugh, how about "best recruiting class since 2001".
Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on December 25, 2016, 03:01:17 pm
However, it would fit well into the site's world famous "scientific rocket" observation(s). 8)

I will wear that crown of shame for a day or two, won't I?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HoggusMaximus

HotlantaHog

Modify: should read "best recruiting class since 2001."

Was 2001 the best recruiting class in the past two decades? I imagine the class with the Springdale 5 ranked higher, though of course Mitch Mustain and Damian Williams just played one year ... Ben Cleveland played for four years and did well... As I recall, based on perception of the talent of the group, there was more excitement about that group than any I can recall... There were some studs in the class other than Springdale as well as I recall...

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on December 26, 2016, 01:50:39 am
It's been quiet concerning Chevin C.
not on the street. word is it's texas or arkansas. i like our chances with the bishop dunne connections we have. I want Orji, Chase, and Montgomery to get on board.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: HotlantaHog on December 26, 2016, 08:31:13 am
Was 2001 the best recruiting class in the past two decades? I imagine the class with the Springdale 5 ranked higher, though of course Mitch Mustain and Damian Williams just played one year ... Ben Cleveland played for four years and did well... As I recall, based on perception of the talent of the group, there was more excitement about that group than any I can recall... There were some studs in the class other than Springdale as well as I recall...

It all depends on the service you choose.  Rivals ranked us 16th in 2009.  I don't believe we've gotten that low on any service ever.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 26, 2016, 04:15:27 pm
Some services list him as OG.  Not very big guy.  Committed to Illinois.

RD called him a DE, that's good enough for me.

Oklahawg

Quote from: ricepig on December 26, 2016, 05:08:40 pm
RD called him a DE, that's good enough for me.

DL with quick feet and hands. I presume he has the frame to add pounds. I am guessing this is an Anderson or Enos find?

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 26, 2016, 11:18:54 pm
DL with quick feet and hands. I presume he has the frame to add pounds. I am guessing this is an Anderson or Enos find?

Some find. Lol.  Was committed to Iowa until a Illinois offer came so looks like a switch is coming. Way late to the party I think.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 27, 2016, 08:15:59 am
Some find. Lol.  Was committed to Iowa until a Illinois offer came so looks like a switch is coming. Way late to the party I think.

Yes, seems odd at this point unless he already has some connection with UA or Arkansas in general.  I think we're starting to get a little desperate for another DL now.  Not that Green isn't worthy of an offer, but it's pretty late to a kid from ILL who just committed to the in-state school and Lovie Smith. 

And what happened to Johnson, or whoever the backup plan was to Edwards?  No mention of him lately. 

Oklahawg

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 27, 2016, 08:15:59 am

Might have been waiting for 2016 film or fall grades. No reason to immediately assume the worst. Oh, wait, it is HV.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 27, 2016, 11:55:17 am
Yes, seems odd at this point unless he already has some connection with UA or Arkansas in general.  I think we're starting to get a little desperate for another DL now.  Not that Green isn't worthy of an offer, but it's pretty late to a kid from ILL who just committed to the in-state school and Lovie Smith. 

And what happened to Johnson, or whoever the backup plan was to Edwards?  No mention of him lately. 

I keep hearing that (all things equal) a HS player (5 to play 4) trumps a JUCO (even a 3 to play 3) unless the JUCO can get on campus to go through spring drills.

Or, the kid is waiting for him big moment to commit. Or, he sees a better depth chart somewhere else - JUCOs are less likely to be program commits as they are "playing time" commits.

Or...

Oklahawg

Not trying to be an ass towards anyone.

TJ Smith, Johnny Marshall, and (a few years back) Trey Flowers were mid-year offers who appeared to be "late targets" by the Hogs. Just because you were not on the offer list in the spring does not mean you weren't on the "watch" list, or (maybe even better) explode on the scene with a great senior year and earn a late offer.

Or, it is like Malcolm Shepherd? Fall 2005 didn't end well for Nutt. The recruiting lists were shallow on talent and the staff had completely whiffed on DL. Tracy Rocker was traveling Georgia hoping to find a "diamond in the rough," someone who had slipped under the radar and could contribute at some point if UA gave them a chance.

The story goes that Rocker would stop at a school, report back, and get any updates. The GAs in the BAC were working the phones and internet, too. Shepherd's name popped up (I think they looked at him before, but had determined him too small to be a DT and not long or quick enough to be a DE). UA brought him in for an immediate visit. He committed shortly thereafter, a December love affair that went from first date to marriage before Xmas holiday.

Shepherd was too small for DT, but he bulked up to help there. His arms were too short and his feet too slow to be an elite DE. But, he played with a great motor and contributed a lot of some teams we all remember.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 27, 2016, 02:05:31 pm
Not trying to be an ass towards anyone.

TJ Smith, Johnny Marshall, and (a few years back) Trey Flowers were mid-year offers who appeared to be "late targets" by the Hogs. Just because you were not on the offer list in the spring does not mean you weren't on the "watch" list, or (maybe even better) explode on the scene with a great senior year and earn a late offer.

Or, it is like Malcolm Shepherd? Fall 2005 didn't end well for Nutt. The recruiting lists were shallow on talent and the staff had completely whiffed on DL. Tracy Rocker was traveling Georgia hoping to find a "diamond in the rough," someone who had slipped under the radar and could contribute at some point if UA gave them a chance.

The story goes that Rocker would stop at a school, report back, and get any updates. The GAs in the BAC were working the phones and internet, too. Shepherd's name popped up (I think they looked at him before, but had determined him too small to be a DT and not long or quick enough to be a DE). UA brought him in for an immediate visit. He committed shortly thereafter, a December love affair that went from first date to marriage before Xmas holiday.

Shepherd was too small for DT, but he bulked up to help there. His arms were too short and his feet too slow to be an elite DE. But, he played with a great motor and contributed a lot of some teams we all remember.

My point is this particular kid is from IL and now committed to IL, right?  I'd think he'd be a very long shot for us.  My questioning this has nothing to do with talent.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 27, 2016, 01:56:16 pm
I keep hearing that (all things equal) a HS player (5 to play 4) trumps a JUCO (even a 3 to play 3) unless the JUCO can get on campus to go through spring drills.

Or, the kid is waiting for him big moment to commit. Or, he sees a better depth chart somewhere else - JUCOs are less likely to be program commits as they are "playing time" commits.

Or...

Agree.  Personally, I think the JUCO kid is a down-the-list backup plan.  Possibly a reach for us.  Might be why we see a late offer to Green instead...probably a better prospect.  Also very likely means our options on the DL are very, very limited now.

Hogfan46

This DL from Texarkana just decommited from Texas and has an Arkansas offer...

Texarkana DE Lagaryonn Carson decommits from Texas http://www.hookem.com/2016/12/27/texarkana-de-lagaryonn-carson-decommits-texas/

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hogfan46 on December 27, 2016, 04:42:32 pm
This DL from Texarkana just decommited from Texas and has an Arkansas offer...

Texarkana DE Lagaryonn Carson decommits from Texas http://www.hookem.com/2016/12/27/texarkana-de-lagaryonn-carson-decommits-texas/

Well, he has the build for a 34 DE.  Not sure if there's ever been any interest from him.

Hogfan46

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 27, 2016, 04:45:08 pm
Well, he has the build for a 34 DE.  Not sure if there's ever been any interest from him.

You're probably right. Just did a little more research on him and it seems he is leaning A&M.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogfan46 on December 27, 2016, 04:49:47 pm
You're probably right. Just did a little more research on him and it seems he is leaning A&M.

He decommitted due to academics, he's going to JUCO, per a recruiting guy.

jbcarol

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jbcarol on December 27, 2016, 05:46:56 pm
https://twitter.com/Shadid13/status/813886747897630722
Perhaps, as he himself admitted, that's primarily because they're the only one of his top three he's visited officially. Let him check them all out personally and we'll see where he stands.

Bubba's Bruisers

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

imtad16

This looks to be a long shot, but if he comes to campus there is always a shot.

colbs

Quote from: imtad16 on December 27, 2016, 10:46:29 pm
This looks to be a long shot, but if he comes to campus there is always a shot.
Wish he was coming on a weekend vs the weekday.  Still good he's making a OV to Arkansas.

Oklahawg

Quote from: colbs on December 27, 2016, 11:12:48 pm
Wish he was coming on a weekend vs the weekday.  Still good he's making a OV to Arkansas.

Good to see us knocking the bushes to fill out the class. And, in this case, a damn good prospect to boot.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jackflash

Hope we Galloway and curl from Oklahoma. but more concern ho will be the next defensive lineman.  I will say we done well with recruits we taken late in recruiting

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: jackflash on December 31, 2016, 11:07:33 am
Hope we Galloway and curl from Oklahoma. but more concern ho will be the next defensive lineman.  I will say we done well with recruits we taken late in recruiting

Somebody spiked the punch.

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: jackflash on December 31, 2016, 11:07:33 am
If it takes a bunch of ho's to get a rush out of our defensive line, I'm all for it. If they have big butts, I'll like it, I cannot lie.

Unless I misunderstood and Don Ho's grandson is a Hawaiian High School All-Star defensive lineman. That might concern me, too. As long as he leaves his ukulele at home, I'm down with it.

jbcarol

redleg

Calloway has officially visited Iowa, Nebraska, and Ole Miss. He will visit Texas this weekend (Jan 13-15), and his last OV will be at Arkansas on Jan 20-22. WE get the his last visit. Arkansas' facilities are as good or better than any of the others I mentioned. If CBB names Rhoads as the new DC, and brings in Maurice Linguist (a former Rhoads assistant who played at Baylor and is from Mesquite, TX), that might be enough to convince Calloway to pick the Hogs. Maybe Kamren Curl too.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

ricepig

Quote from: redleg on January 10, 2017, 10:48:30 am
Calloway has officially visited Iowa, Nebraska, and Ole Miss. He will visit Texas this weekend (Jan 13-15), and his last OV will be at Arkansas on Jan 20-22. WE get the his last visit. Arkansas' facilities are as good or better than any of the others I mentioned. If CBB names Rhoads as the new DC, and brings in Maurice Linguist (a former Rhoads assistant who played at Baylor and is from Mesquite, TX), that might be enough to convince Calloway to pick the Hogs. Maybe Kamren Curl too.

I hope you are correct on the visitors dates, but this suggests otherwise.

http://247sports.com/Player/Chevin-Calloway-78898

Hogdomer

Quote from: redleg on January 10, 2017, 10:48:30 am

Recruiting guy on the free Texas board said the Texas staff hopes to "flip" Calloway from Arkansas this weekend.  Does he know something we don't?

WooPig90

Quote from: ricepig on January 10, 2017, 12:09:21 pm
I hope you are correct on the visitors dates, but this suggests otherwise.

http://247sports.com/Player/Chevin-Calloway-78898

On there it lists him visting on the 27th but in the timeline under that it says he is visiting Texas this weekend

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: Hogdomer on January 10, 2017, 12:13:23 pm
Recruiting guy on the free Texas board said the Texas staff hopes to "flip" Calloway from Arkansas this weekend.  Does he know something we don't?

They said the same thing about Whaley last year.  A lot of the UT recruiting "experts" are extra-homer goobers.

factchecker

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on January 10, 2017, 12:41:08 pm
They said the same thing about Whaley last year.  A lot of the UT recruiting "experts" are extra-homer goobers.

Emphasis on the word "flip".  For Chevin to be flipped he would have to be committed to us.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Oklahawg

Quote from: factchecker on January 10, 2017, 12:50:56 pm
Emphasis on the word "flip".  For Chevin to be flipped he would have to be committed to us.

It makes sense that a recruit commits silently and is allowed to continue visiting. Whaley fits the description. Calloway as well.

CallThoseHawgs

Quote from: WooPig90 on January 10, 2017, 12:39:21 pm
On there it lists him visting on the 27th but in the timeline under that it says he is visiting Texas this weekend
Yeah 247 had an article on him and said he changed his Texas visit from Jan 27 weekend to this weekend, so we will be getting his last visit. We also will be getting Kameron Curls last visit, and with him not taking one to Oklahoma I think we should be considered the team to beat. Landing both of these guys would be huge for our defense.

Hogdomer

Quote from: CallThoseHawgs on January 10, 2017, 01:03:36 pm
Yeah 247 had an article on him and said he changed his Texas visit from Jan 27 weekend to this weekend, so we will be getting his last visit. We also will be getting Kameron Curls last visit, and with him not taking one to Oklahoma I think we should be considered the team to beat. Landing both of these guys would be huge for our defense.

TCU is generally considered to be the front runner for Curl.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Hogdomer on January 10, 2017, 01:09:34 pm
TCU is generally considered to be the front runner for Curl.
I've read that a lot, but not in the OK press. I didn't have him on my radar for a long time, though, and may be missing something.

jbcarol

hawginbigd1

Go ahead and sign me up for that, let's call up the dogs and pizz on the fire and call it a day!

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/820009831272693760

QuoteHere's a breakdown of Arkansas' commits and signees by state:

Arkansas: 4 (Adcock, Barnes, Brown, Jackson)
    Louisiana: 4 (James, Munson, Paul, Warren)
    Florida: 2 (McClellion, Williams)
    Mississippi: 2 (Martin, Nance)
    Oklahoma: 2 (Curtis, Fisher)
    Texas: 1 (Barkley)
    Alabama: 1 (Hyatt)
    Arizona: 1 (Patton)
    Georgia: 1 (Hernandez)
    Illinois: 1 (Wagner)
    Missouri: 1 (Clenin)
    Tennessee: 1 (Hayden)