Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback Nation Basketball Analysis

Started by Nutt_Hate_Me, January 08, 2006, 10:30:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nutt_Hate_Me

Jimmy Dykes calling the team out.  Questioning heart and desire.  Giving some real good analysis.  Said anytime you shoot more 3 pointers than FT's you are in trouble.  Good to hear some professional criticism.
It's great to be home.

lunchbox72703

I'm Glad he said that....it needed to be said

Razorbrett

My anger last night probably overwhelemed my comments.  But I still can't wait to see how we respond to this adversity against LSWho on Wednesday night.  Even though it's a home game for us, LSU played UCONN to a 1 point game at UCONN and almost beat Ohio State on the road, blowing a 15 point late lead.  As much as I hate to admit, LSWho is about to cross the border from being good to really good.  We have the talent to beat them, good teams always respond like champs.  I think Wednesday night will tell the story of the rest of this year.

BigHog396

Someone needs to call Heath out over his comments in his press conference last week.  You would have thought someone killed his favorite puppy the way he was complaining about Jimmy's comment that we hadn't played a true road game, and he didn't think we were prepared for this game because of that.  A totally accurate assessment of the situation.  Heath all but made a fool of himself talking about how we were road-ready because of the neutral site games.  I guess he forgot his own comments about how great an atmosphere Dallas was for the Hogs to play in.  Barnhill-South was reawakened, and he tried to pass it off last week like we were playing in Knight's back yard.  I am sick of the excuses, and Heath better wake up to the fact that he is not coaching in the Mid-American Conference any more.

BigHog396

Quote from: Razorbrett on January 08, 2006, 10:36:37 pm
My anger last night probably overwhelemed my comments. But I still can't wait to see how we respond to this adversity against LSWho on Wednesday night. Even though it's a home game for us, LSU played UCONN to a 1 point game at UCONN and almost beat Ohio State on the road, blowing a 15 point late lead. As much as I hate to admit, LSWho is about to cross the border from being good to really good. We have the talent to beat them, good teams always respond like champs. I think Wednesday night will tell the story of the rest of this year.
I agree completely.  IF we can beat LSU, the year may be able to be salvaged.  If not, 0-4 to start conference play here we come.

Hawg414

Quote from: BigHog396 on January 08, 2006, 10:44:12 pm
My anger last night probably overwhelemed my comments. But I still can't wait to see how we respond to this adversity against LSWho on Wednesday night. Even though it's a home game for us, LSU played UCONN to a 1 point game at UCONN and almost beat Ohio State on the road, blowing a 15 point late lead. As much as I hate to admit, LSWho is about to cross the border from being good to really good. We have the talent to beat them, good teams always respond like champs. I think Wednesday night will tell the story of the rest of this year.
I agree completely. IF we can beat LSU, the year may be able to be salvaged. If not, 0-4 to start conference play here we come.

i think this LSU game coming up looms as quite possibly the biggest game for heaths future.  wouldnt normally be THAT important if not for the extreme concerns that appeared out of nowhere last night.  after all this hope (for the 1st time in a long time, i actually went to tip-off expecting to win a road game) there is no way he can follow up such a horrendous loss with yet another loss.  start 0-2 and the wheels come off, just like they did last season at a slightly later point. 

Cntxhogs88

I made the same comments about how Arkansas had not played
a single "road" game - and people bashed me to no end -
playing road games - no matter who it is - gives you the experience,
and lets the players adjust to the schedule of playing on the road -
agains SH failed to put together the schedule to get his players
ready - he indeed has the say-so in scheduling, and it seems that
he would rather have the HOGS enter conference play with a ton
of home wins and neutral court games than take on some good
teams on the road - i.e. - any Big 12, Conference USA team..

just some assessment on the irrationality of some of our peeps..

snag

January 08, 2006, 11:55:04 pm #7 Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 11:56:36 pm by snag
Quote from: Bogarto on January 08, 2006, 10:34:59 pm
We are young....oh wait, so is UNC, so is Kansas, so is Florida. I like Heath but in this day and age of college basketball being young is not a valid excuse. Florida is supposed to be rebuilding this year too but they are #5 in the nation. Kansas is young but they almost beat us and waxed Kentucky yesterday. UNC has also had some trouble rebuilding but has been ranked in the top 25 with almost all freshman. I have supported Heath for a while but this year we need to be a Sweet 16 team and judging by losing our SEC opener against a "young" "rebuilding" Miss St without 2 of its key players isn't much of a start.

Kansas currently has 5 players on their roster who were 5 Star recruits. FIVE! Their three 5 Star freshmen were ranked higher than any player Stan Heath has ever persuaded to come to the U of A. NC signed one 5 Star recruit and three 4 Star recruits last year. Kentucky's backcourt duo of Rajon Rondo and Joe Crawford were both ranked in the Top 25 of the 2004 recruiting class - both ranked higher than any player Stan Heath has ever been blessed to coach. Florida hasn't beaten a ranked team yet this year- so we'll see if they end up in the Top 10. Florida is the exception though - doing a lot without any top level recruits currently on their roster.

Razor6

Brett, I understand you....

I too was very upset, frustrated and didn't want to be talked to immediately after the game!

But as time passes (as with all situations in life) I have cooled off and gathered myself.  Through the thick of it, all-in-all I AM A RAZORBACK FAN! (Through the wins... and definately through the losses)  None of us would be here doing this if we weren't fans...

I will be there Wednesday night and Saturday... Supporting the hogs.  Cheering for the team. And calling the hogs when no one else around me will give up their pride.

GO HOGS GO. Let's keep this thing on track.  You know what to do!

WPS

-R6
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

HogInGermany

Quote from: Cntxhogs88 on January 08, 2006, 11:51:37 pm
I made the same comments about how Arkansas had not played
a single "road" game - and people bashed me to no end -
playing road games - no matter who it is - gives you the experience,
and lets the players adjust to the schedule of playing on the road -
agains SH failed to put together the schedule to get his players
ready - he indeed has the say-so in scheduling, and it seems that
he would rather have the HOGS enter conference play with a ton
of home wins and neutral court games than take on some good
teams on the road - i.e. - any Big 12, Conference USA team..

just some assessment on the irrationality of some of our peeps..

Get used to saying something and getting bashed for it and then when you're right have everyone saying the exact same thing you were bashed for.  For instance, before the football season, I said that we would at best go 5-6 with the talent and coaching we had. I got royally bashed by most people on here. then by midseason alot of people were saying the same thing and by the end of the season the Nuttbashing was in full effect. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Nutt_Hate_Me on January 08, 2006, 10:30:23 pm
Jimmy Dykes calling the team out. Questioning heart and desire. Giving some real good analysis. Said anytime you shoot more 3 pointers than FT's you are in trouble. Good to hear some professional criticism.

That's code for Brewer.  Anybody recall the last time Brewer hit a game-winning shot?
[CENSORED]!

snag

Brewer definitely hasn't seemed like himself the last few games. Maybe it's just his confidence, or maybe he got tired of being the target of continual double teams. I think he is struggling a bit.

Hums

BB is unlike FB in recruiting, in the since that you should only sign people who can contribute rt away. Our 2 players may develop over time but are not the dominant players that other "Big Time" schools got. I guess Mccurdy is a defensive liability but we need someone that can shoot or at least someone that the D has to respect.

ThunderHog

Quote from: Hums on January 09, 2006, 11:27:15 am
BB is unlike FB in recruiting, in the since that you should only sign people who can contribute rt away. Our 2 players may develop over time but are not the dominant players that other "Big Time" schools got. I guess Mccurdy is a defensive liability but we need someone that can shoot or at least someone that the D has to respect.

Pat Bradley was a defensive liability, but did that stop Nolan from playing him?  Hell no!  He was a spot up shooter and he had the green light anytime, anyplace.  Heath needs to treat these guys like men.  He acts like he is coaching grade school kids and he is doing so at the expense of the University.

g.lynn

I watched the MSU game on FSN and my analysis is the Hogs remind me of a freshly-roasted marshmallow: "tough on the outside, soft on the inside". 
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

There is nothing wrong with the Hogs, that cannot be cured by what is right with the Hogs!

hogfankb

Quote from: ThunderHog on January 09, 2006, 11:52:04 am
Quote from: Hums on January 09, 2006, 11:27:15 am

Pat Bradley was a defensive liability, but did that stop Nolan from playing him? Hell no! He was a spot up shooter and he had the green light anytime, anyplace. Heath needs to treat these guys like men. He acts like he is coaching grade school kids and he is doing so at the expense of the University.

I haven't been to practice but I have seen every game but one i think and I haven't seen McCurdy shoot anything like Bradley. He might be able to but I seriously doubt it. And yes he has to be better than what we have. But he was also an offensive liability at the beginning of the year. He was scared of the pressure and would turn the ball over. He has hopefully started working that out of his system. He will get more and more PT as the season goes on.

As for desire I do see that as a big problem. Mainly on the defensive end though. We were beat down the floor by the ball on so many occasions saturday it was rediculous. We haven't shown up for a first half in almost any game this year. I am a little torn on whose fault this is. Is it the players? How can you not come out fired up to play any game? You should desire to win enough to come out and bust your hump no matter who you are playing. Is it the coaches fault? Maybe they aren't prepared. But this isn't rocket science. You tell the players "You will be facing a zone. Find the open areas and score. You have been playing against a 2-3 since 5th grade." Why does our desire seem to go up in the second half? Is this just when the players decide to start playing? That doesn't make sense to me either. Or is Heath chewing their arses.

That is why is have been so adament in backing heath this year when everyone seems to be jumping off the bandwagon. The continuing problem i see with this team are not coaching problems to me(heart/outside shooting).

This team is very confusing to me and has obvious weaknesses but I think we will be fine and right where we want to be come tourny time.

bro.coach

Dykes also said other teams were letting Ronnie Brewer shoots 3's.  I would too.  Brewer should not be allowed to shoot anyting but a dunk.  He is an offensive liability.

hogfankb

Quote from: bro.coach on January 09, 2006, 01:53:19 pm
Dykes also said other teams were letting Ronnie Brewer shoots 3's. I would too. Brewer should not be allowed to shoot anyting but a dunk. He is an offensive liability.

Huh? Brewer is shooting 43% from the floor while averaging 18.7 points. I dont think he only making dunks. Is he a pure shooter no. Is he a great scorer even when he isn't dunking? yes

jeffshogs

When teams can start four or five 5 star recruits they can win on talent and execution alone.  If you do not have that talent level you must combine what you do have with heart and desire.  I have seen only flashes of that this year.  Too bad Miss St. brought more than we did saturday night.
Get your bird dog butt up and down the court!

A Boy Named Sue E.

This team is way too soft. They need to take the ball to the rack over and over and over again. Stop jacking up three's. Continue to play solid D for the ENTIRE shot clock. Develop an attitude on the boards.

HogsRule

Quote from: hogfankb on January 09, 2006, 01:40:39 pm
You tell the players "You will be facing a zone. Find the open areas and score. You have been playing against a 2-3 since 5th grade."

I've been thinking this same thing for years. If a zone is so hard to play against, why don't we play it. They act like it's some new defense that's impossible to crack.
**Judgement on coaches withheld pending further information**

No Hate Zone

stan the man

With comments Jimmy Dykes is making regarding the BB team, could he possiblly be the next Joe Klleine  to be replaced?   Don't get me wrong, I think it needs to be said but I hope what happened to Kleine doesn't hapapen to Jimmy.   

HogsRule

Looking for reasons we lost? It has nothing to do with offense. How about Free throw shooting (40%), rebounding (with our huge line-up?) and defense (try cutting off the baseline, try moving your feet)
**Judgement on coaches withheld pending further information**

No Hate Zone

hogfankb

Quote from: HogsRule on January 09, 2006, 05:06:43 pm
Quote from: hogfankb on January 09, 2006, 01:40:39 pm
You tell the players "You will be facing a zone. Find the open areas and score. You have been playing against a 2-3 since 5th grade."

I've been thinking this same thing for years. If a zone is so hard to play against, why don't we play it. They act like it's some new defense that's impossible to crack.

We do play zone sometimes but usually only after out of bounds situations under our basket. We aren't very good at it. Maybe these other teams have figured out this move to an open spot idea but IMO it is mainly cause we rotate lazy.

hogfankb

Quote from: HogsRule on January 09, 2006, 05:09:04 pm
Looking for reasons we lost? It has nothing to do with offense. How about Free throw shooting (40%), rebounding (with our huge line-up?) and defense (try cutting off the baseline, try moving your feet)

Agreed. FT shooting and on the ball defense cost us this game.

100+GM HAWG

How about giving a crap and playing like your life depends on it. We play with no prolonged intensity at all. That's a direct reflection of Stan's passive nature.

Young team deosn't fly. Especially in basketball.. 1990 final four, sophmore dominated team. 1994 NC, sophmore dominated team.

Darrel Royal said that if a dog will bite, they will bite as puppies. This team does not bite. Coaches included.

hogfankb

Quote from: 100+GM HAWG on January 09, 2006, 05:13:44 pm
How about giving a crap and playing like your life depends on it. We play with no prolonged intensity at all. That's a direct reflection of Stan's passive nature.

Young team deosn't fly. Especially in basketball.. 1990 final four, sophmore dominated team. 1994 NC, sophmore dominated team.

Darrel Royal said that if a dog will bite, they will bite as puppies. This team does not bite. Coaches included.

I agree that a a firey coach might make this team show some more heart but I don't understand why it takes that. Some great coaches don't show their emotion all the time and still get their players to play hard. I don't understand how these guys get this far in sports without having a burning desire to play their hardest. Just doesn't make sense to me. But then again i don't understand how these guys can be 60% ft shooters either.