Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BREAKING: Hogs add Gabe Osabuohien to '17 class ...

Started by Kevin McPherson, May 24, 2017, 04:43:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin McPherson

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

hawkhawg

Sweet. This kid is really good. I was afraid we were going to let him get away.

BannerMountainMan

When is the last time the hogs had a 6'8 small forward, I guess Powell and Qualls would be the closest
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

azhog10

Someone claiming we reached in 3......2.......1.......

The_Iceman

The Hogfather

I really like his game.  Just wanted to keep Hazen. 

Hogimus Prime

niels_boar

No more small wings.  That gives us five possible options - Bailey, Hall, Gabe, Garland, and Jones - that are 6-5+ with athleticism.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

HogBeliever625

Don't love it. I like that he's an instate kid, but would've rather seen the scholarship used on a transfer who could make a nice impact in 2018. Not an impressive offer sheet.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: niels_boar on May 24, 2017, 11:18:50 pm
No more small wings.  That gives us five possible options - Bailey, Hall, Gabe, Garland, and Jones - that are 6-5+ with athleticism.
I mentioned something to that effect in a previous post. I think it's a shift that not many have necessarily noticed, but getting height and athleticism is great to see and was already part of our success this past season.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: niels_boar on May 24, 2017, 11:18:50 pm

We have gone from none to 5 in one year... Mike likes the versatility of these types, but had not been able to stock the bench before.. now he has... we'll have much more length, which should help the defense... in addition to rebounding...

Kid looks good on tape, hopefully it translate...wps

rude1

Good to see the staff had a plan in place if we lost a player to transfer. This kid is not a high level recruit by any stretch of the imagination but he is a good get this late in the process, and could develop into a solid contributor in a couple of seasons.

The_Iceman

We have plenty of guys ready to play right away. Our 10 deep is already set. With losing 6 players next season, it will be nice to have a developmental guy, sort of like CJ was last season.

TNhawgfan

Not many kids are ok with being developmental anymore. A year or two of sitting on the bench and they're gone
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

The_Iceman

Quote from: TNhawgfan on May 25, 2017, 08:27:00 am
Not many kids are ok with being developmental anymore. A year or two of sitting on the bench and they're gone

If you don't crack the top 10 in our rotation, then so be it. It probably won't be next year:

Barford
Macon
Beard
CJ Jones
Garland
Hall
Bailey/Thomas/Cook (2 of the 3)
Thompson
Gafford

2018 will be interesting as well

PG: Harris and Hill (if he reclassifies)
SG: Jones, Garland, Joe, and Sills
SF: Hall, Bailey, OB
PF: Perry and Henderson
C: Gafford and (2018 big commit)

I guess if you don't land a 2018 big, you can slide Henderson down to a backup 5 and put OB or Bailey as the backup 4.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: TNhawgfan on May 25, 2017, 08:27:00 am

Or if they don't get enough minutes as a freshman... gone.  See Jimmy Whitt (and that kid got a ton of minutes).

FineAsSwine

Can we at least let the ink dry on the signing before we start with all the talk about how soon he will be leaving? Dang.
Hogs up! Covid down!

HamIAm

Quote from: HogBeliever625 on May 25, 2017, 12:05:26 am
Don't love it. I like that he's an instate kid, but would've rather seen the scholarship used on a transfer who could make a nice impact in 2018. Not an impressive offer sheet.

Ok, what Juco/transfer players that would make an impact are sitting out there this late in the game looking for a school?  Welcome aboard Gabe!

hawkhawg

I think you guys may be wrong on this kid.  I do not believe that he will be a project.   Almost every player on his team is DI and as big or bigger than he is.   So he has been practicing against DI level talent all year.  Ive watched every player in the State and I have not seen a player better then him. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: hawkhawg on May 25, 2017, 10:10:09 am
I think you guys may be wrong on this kid.  I do not believe that he will be a project.   Almost every player on his team is DI and as big or bigger than he is.   So he has been practicing against DI level talent all year.  Ive watched every player in the State and I have not seen a player better then him.

You think he is better than Gafford, Garland, and Hall?

PonderinHog

WELCOME to the newest RazorBACK!  If he puts in the blood, SWEAT and tears, he'll make a great HOG.

Hawg Red

Quote from: HamIAm on May 25, 2017, 09:53:45 am
Ok, what Juco/transfer players that would make an impact are sitting out there this late in the game looking for a school?  Welcome aboard Gabe!

Exactly. The timing of Hazen's departure really restricted the staff's options, but Gabe is a player they're familiar with. He's a player that the staff kept tabs on all since September. They obviously wanted a guard with the open spot in the late period (we must remember that they really did not go after Markel Crawford or forwards other than the kid that ended up at Oregon), but it appears a versatile forward was next up once another spot came open and they got someone with good potential, a good fit for the system, and a good relationship-building signing from an in-state prep school that has been and will continue to produce high-major talent. I think we upgraded defensively and athletically going from Hazen to Gabe. Hazen seems a little more skilled and well-rounded at this point but Gabe could end up being similar to DeMarre Carroll in this system. We actually have a couple guys like that now with Gabe and Darious Hall. Exciting times. If Gabe doesn't pan out, I don't think anyone will be surprised, but all high-major programs are going to have 1-2 guys that will end up transferring out. Just a part of the landscape now. At least we're not signing players like Dee Wagner or Doobie Jenkins late now. Jones, Hazen, and Gabe are all legit players that have a good chance to be real SEC players. Numbers did not work out for Hazen. They may not work out for Gabe but he's got a fresh clock and two senior forwards going out after this season.

Youngsta71701

Of course you don't. Conway didn't love Scottie Pippen when they got him either.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

NavarreHog

I know they aren't members of the AAA, but what type of affiliation does Southwest have? They appear to be along the lines of a Prep School. If that is the case they can/do recruit and could be a potential pipeline for the Hogs.

The_Iceman

Quote from: NavarreHog on May 25, 2017, 11:23:59 am
I know they aren't members of the AAA, but what type of affiliation does Southwest have? They appear to be along the lines of a Prep School. If that is the case they can/do recruit and could be a potential pipeline for the Hogs.

Wish we could have started that pipeline a year earlier with Eric Curry.

BannerMountainMan

yeah I don't like a 6'7 small forward either, I think he's the equivalent of Tristan Simmons, won't see a lick of the floor either and shouldn't even be here. Why the heck did we sign him!! 😂😂 idiots complain about everything, I bet you hated that Macon and Barford are back too

hawkhawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 25, 2017, 10:14:27 am
You think he is better than Gafford, Garland, and Hall?

I don't think he is better but he is as good. Of course Gafford fills a bigger need.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on May 25, 2017, 12:20:18 pm
I do too, as he contributed and well for a good program in a good conference. However, if we did we wouldn't have a spot for Gabe. He would have taken Hazen's spot and there wouldn't be a spot open.

It's more likely that we would not have gone after Arlando Cook if we landed Curry early on. Cook may end up being the odd man out next season, unless he backs up the 5 position at times in foul trouble situations.

hawkhawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 25, 2017, 11:35:23 am
Wish we could have started that pipeline a year earlier with Eric Curry.

Gabe is better than Curry was at this same point. Curry worked very hard over the summer and got a lot stronger.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hawkhawg on May 25, 2017, 12:52:48 pm
Gabe is better than Curry was at this same point. Curry worked very hard over the summer and got a lot stronger.

So is that why Curry was a 4-star recruit and Gabe is outside the top 300?

Listen, I like the addition. But let's not make him into something he is not.

niels_boar

May 25, 2017, 01:03:31 pm #34 Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 03:18:09 pm by niels_boar
Since the staff took a transfer with what looked like the last scholarship, they apparently believed that our rotation was set to their satisfaction and/or nobody that they were on would obviously displace a player already in the rotation. 

In that case taking a project with this opening that is perhaps undervalued and has potential high upside is a logical move. Hannahs wasn't ranked any higher than Gabe O, and I wish we had him another two years.  It's not like many, if any, programs have a 4-star, top-75 player sitting in the 11th or 12th seat.  Gabe is a long, 6-8 kid that apparently likes to play D and has some ball skills.  A lot could go right with that combination. They know him well.  Declare victory, and let's throw the ball up.  I like our roster and can't wait to see it on the court.  Competition should be high in practice 1-12.

hawkhawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 25, 2017, 12:57:42 pm
So is that why Curry was a 4-star recruit and Gabe is outside the top 300?

Listen, I like the addition. But let's not make him into something he is not.

I don't know anything about recruiting services all I know is my own eyes.  If you watched both currys and gabes high school careers there is no way you would take Curry over Gabe. Now I can't tell the future and know if Gabe is going to work as hard as Curry did. Or who fits what college system better.   

FineAsSwine

He isn't/wasn't a heralded prospect but he isn't a scrub. He has some upside and he may become a really good player, and one who develops sooner than later.

Like with all potential, there is a chance it can go unrealized though, especially when not dealing with a "can't miss prospect". I mean, at one time I bought in to the Mickleson hype about how he would eventually be in the NBA (due mostly to Bob Knights commentary during a Razorback game he called).

I would call this signing a success if the kid just contributes in his jr and sr year a la Trey Thompson. Not every signing has to be a home run to be good for the team. I am glad we got him and hopefully, 2017 team is set and ready to go.
Hogs up! Covid down!

The_Iceman

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 25, 2017, 01:28:33 pm

I would call this signing a success if the kid just contributes in his jr and sr year a la Trey Thompson. Not every signing has to be a home run to be good for the team. I am glad we got him and hopefully, 2017 team is set and ready to go.

Agreed

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: niels_boar on May 25, 2017, 01:03:31 pm
Since the staff took a transfer with what looked like the last scholarship, they apparently believed that either our rotation was set to their satisfaction and/or nobody that they were on would obviously displace a player already in the rotation. 

In that case taking a project with this opening that is perhaps undervalued and has potential high upside is a logical move. Hannahs wasn't ranked any higher than Gabe O, and I wish we had him another two years.  It's not like many, if any, programs have a 4-star, top-75 player sitting in the 11th or 12th seat.  Gabe is a long, 6-8 kid that apparently likes to play D and has some ball skills.  A lot could go right with that combination. They know him well.  Declare victory, and let's throw the ball up.  I like our roster and can't wait to see it on the court.  Competition should be high in practice 1-12.

I don't agree that Gabe O is a "project" but everything else is spot-on, IMO.

HognitiveDissonance

Not expecting much.
So anything he gives will be gravy.
I go by the 'what does his offer sheet look like' method for evaluating recruits. That's usually the most accurate way.

mhuff

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 25, 2017, 10:31:46 am
Exactly. The timing of Hazen's departure really restricted the staff's options, but Gabe is a player they're familiar with. He's a player that the staff kept tabs on all since September. They obviously wanted a guard with the open spot in the late period (we must remember that they really did not go after Markel Crawford or forwards other than the kid that ended up at Oregon), but it appears a versatile forward was next up once another spot came open and they got someone with good potential, a good fit for the system, and a good relationship-building signing from an in-state prep school that has been and will continue to produce high-major talent. I think we upgraded defensively and athletically going from Hazen to Gabe. Hazen seems a little more skilled and well-rounded at this point but Gabe could end up being similar to DeMarre Carroll in this system. We actually have a couple guys like that now with Gabe and Darious Hall. Exciting times. If Gabe doesn't pan out, I don't think anyone will be surprised, but all high-major programs are going to have 1-2 guys that will end up transferring out. Just a part of the landscape now. At least we're not signing players like Dee Wagner or Doobie Jenkins late now. Jones, Hazen, and Gabe are all legit players that have a good chance to be real SEC players. Numbers did not work out for Hazen. They may not work out for Gabe but he's got a fresh clock and two senior forwards going out after this season.

Not sure whether he will pan out either, but I'm encouraged that he may be a good defensive player. I know he will have a lot of competition at his position. Thought we might look toward Memphis for a top guard. We may do that yet for 2018.

southwesthawg

Quote from: NavarreHog on May 25, 2017, 11:23:59 am

Southwest is an independent school.  If they were in AAA then these kids would not be able to play for them.  They travel all over the country playing the top private schools.   None of their kids are post graduates.  They are all regular high school students.  Most are foreigners: Serbia, Bosnia, Australia, Nigeria, France, Canada. 

The last two classes:
2016:
Eric Curry- Minnesota
Tyrik Dixon- Middle Tenn.
Maceo Woodard- Bossier Parrish

2017:
Gabe - Arkansas
Mladen Armus- Eastern Tenn
Emir Amedic- Oral Roberts
Avery Benson- Texas Tech
Jevon Brown- undecided (probably will go Jr. College)

Quote from: southwesthawg on May 25, 2017, 02:46:55 pm
Southwest is an independent school.  If they were in AAA then these kids would not be able to play for them.  They travel all over the country playing the top private schools.   None of their kids are post graduates.  They are all regular high school students.  Most are foreigners: Serbia, Bosnia, Australia, Nigeria, France, Canada. 

The last two classes:
2016:
Eric Curry- Minnesota
Tyrik Dixon- Middle Tenn.
Maceo Woodard- Bossier Parrish

2017:
Gabe - Arkansas
Mladen Armus- Eastern Tenn
Emir Amedic- Oral Roberts
Avery Benson- Texas Tech
Jevon Brown- undecided (probably will go Jr. College)

What is the talent level that they compete against? Comparable to 7A in Arkansas? Better, worse?

niels_boar

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on May 25, 2017, 01:57:08 pm
I don't agree that Gabe O is a "project" but everything else is spot-on, IMO.

No disrespect to Gabe intended.  One, I've never seen him play. Two, most kids outside the top-40 are projects to some degree in that hopefully your roster is stacked enough so that the staff can have them on campus at least a year before they are depended upon for primary roles.

ballinhog

We will have some length next season, of the 12 guys available to play, 9 of them are 6-5 or taller. Only Barford, Macon and Beard are under 6-5

tophawg19

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on May 25, 2017, 02:02:39 pm
Not expecting much.
So anything he gives will be gravy.
I go by the 'what does his offer sheet look like' method for evaluating recruits. That's usually the most accurate way.
you really can't do that with basketball because so many teams play so many different styles . A Superstar fit for us might not fit a Duke ETC.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on May 25, 2017, 11:23:42 am
Of course you don't. Conway didn't love Scottie Pippen when they got him either.
Pippen didn't play for Conway!

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

FineAsSwine

Quote from: ballinhog on May 25, 2017, 04:27:46 pm
We will have some length next season, of the 12 guys available to play, 9 of them are 6-5 or taller. Only Barford, Macon and Beard are under 6-5

Easily our tallest team under CMA.
Hogs up! Covid down!