Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Don't rush to pull a Cont. cylinder with low compression

Started by GusMcRae, August 28, 2014, 11:53:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GusMcRae

Word of advice:
Wanted to elaborate on the annual of our C-150.
Initial check of cyl compressions (cold) was not good,,,, one in particular was less than 40/80.  This plane has not been flown that much this year (only about 50 hrs) and most of that was back in Jan/Feb/Mar,,,, but there has been no vibration or anything like that in the 21 hours or so that I've flown it in the past year,,, everything seemed normal, good power, etc...  Luckily my current mx was not so fast to just tell me I had to yank a cylinder. 
After a lot of reading and such, he suggested that we add a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil to the crank case to assist in freeing up a ring if one was stuck, fly the plane at 2500 RPM for at least 45 min, pull the cowling and check them again.
I agreed with the plan, we did that and the suspect cyl came up to 68/80.  There was another that checked out at 68, one at 72, and one that is 78  (the 78/80 is a Millineum Cyl that was put on new just before we purchased the plane 3 years ago).

I am still kicking myself for allowing the prior mx to pull a cyl off of my 182, 2 years ago for a low compression, without at least flying it and checking it again hot.  That cylinder replacement debacle has led to much mental anquish and some problems that are still being worked out...   
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

bvillepig

Gus   Thanks for the info.

I had a cylinder yanked my ex Saratoga before I should have. It also created an issue found on the pre buy that ended up getting fixed.