Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

And so it begins

Started by gotyacovered, February 07, 2014, 04:13:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bvillepig

Gotya

I asked the mechanic at KTKX and he recommended Preferred Air Parts. 800-433-0814.  Good luck you will get there.

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on July 22, 2014, 04:42:56 pm
Gotya

I asked the mechanic at KTKX and he recommended Preferred Air Parts. 800-433-0814.  Good luck you will get there.

cross your fingers for me... sometime since my last couple posts i got an email from memphis propeller (who has the $7.1k 3blade) and he thinks he has one. its located in a storage facility and is running over there in the morning to see, need some luck.

did you talk to Mac?
You are what you tolerate.

bvillepig

I was going to say Memphis prop but I knew you already had a relation.
KTKX is Kennett Mo
Home of the cheap fuel

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on July 22, 2014, 06:28:20 pm
I was going to say Memphis prop but I knew you already had a relation.
KTKX is Kennett Mo
Home of the cheap fuel

Ahhhh you wrote tkx and I read txk!

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on July 22, 2014, 10:22:11 am
guys, this is such a pain in the arse.

looking for one of the following (serviceable) props... if any of you have any 'resources'

McCauley D2A34C58/90AT-8                      (2 blade)
McCauley 2A34C66/90AT-8                         (2 blade)
McCauley D2A37C230/90REB-8                  (2 blade)
McCauley D3A32C90/82NC-2                      (3 blade)
McCauley D3A34C401/90DFA-10 (80")     (3 blade) (Cessna 182 H through R)

Did you happen to check with Byam Propeller in Ft. Worth?  (817) 625-0161 
Located at Meachum Field (FTW).
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

engine was shipped out today, so, barring any ***more*** unforeseen delays, i should have her back in a couple weeks.

found a prop, still short a spinner. i am looking for a serviceable one, trying to save a few bucks (new one is $1600) so if any of you have any suggestions lemme know.

spinner is a McCauley D6594; going on a McCauley D3A34C401/90DFA-10 (C401) 3blade.

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on July 31, 2014, 01:22:42 pm
engine was shipped out today, so, barring any ***more*** unforeseen delays, i should have her back in a couple weeks.

found a prop, still short a spinner. i am looking for a serviceable one, trying to save a few bucks (new one is $1600) so if any of you have any suggestions lemme know.

spinner is a McCauley D6594; going on a McCauley D3A34C401/90DFA-10 (C401) 3blade.

Glad to hear it.  Hope it goes well from here on.
You might check with Byam Prop in Ft. Worth on that spinner as well,,, they networked with another prop shop in SA to find a replacement for a cracked nut on mine that evidently aren't being made any more. 

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on August 01, 2014, 04:05:52 pm
Glad to hear it.  Hope it goes well from here on.
You might check with Byam Prop in Ft. Worth on that spinner as well,,, they networked with another prop shop in SA to find a replacement for a cracked nut on mine that evidently aren't being made any more. 

Thankya Gus, will do.

gotyacovered

engine has arrived, install in progress. wonder if his two week fo install/annual will be two weeks. at this point i am guess HELL NO. ;D

NFN

gotyacovered

Yet another delay...

Prop shop screwed up prop order and got the wrong bearings for something... They were supposed to deliver prop today for a (possible) weekend pickup, now props gonna be wed-thur so early next week--most likely.

NFN.

GusMcRae

Dang!   
Well,,, that will give the main mx time to tidy up anything else he needs to.  It doesn't take hardly anytime to bolt on a prop. 

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on August 19, 2014, 01:11:42 pm
Dang!   
Well,,, that will give the main mx time to tidy up anything else he needs to.  It doesn't take hardly anytime to bolt on a prop. 

ya.... BUT--not sure how much is involved--he is wanting to run/tune/etc the new engine and can't....

gotyacovered

September 08, 2014, 10:46:52 am #112 Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 05:11:35 pm by gotyacovered
09052014 Day 213

its over.

she is back in my possession and other than the process of getting it to me, i am completely satisfied. she is a BEAST.

looks like fuel consumption is going to be about 1-1.5gph higher, but i def picked up some ktas, time will tell on how much, it i had to guess outta the gates i would go with 5kts at 23 squared.

on the first 3 hours break in procedure calls for max power at leass the 3k... so dad and i jumped in and ran down to lufkin last friday (the day of delivery) and ran tops of the greens all the way there and back... got about 140-142kts (gs) and burnt 19gph :o

love the EI fuel flow (if itll ever get calibrated) and the EI engine analyzer. cant believe i did without for so long. really nice to see whats going on with each cylinder. added oil temp and carb temp also, love the carb temp, i didnt have one before.

the 3blade... i didnt really want it... but am i glad we have it at this point? hell yes. it is quieter, and it is WAY smoother. we have to climb at 110kts or higher (per break in procedure) which is about 300fpm climb... so i havent had a chance to 'hang her on the prop' yet, but cant wait to do that. it takes a lot more right rudder on take off roll and in a climb--its actually a challenge to keep the climb to 300fpm. i didnt realize it, but an extra 45hp goes a long ways.

all in all i am really glad we went this route. we ended up paying for the engine what the original bid was (that included the annual and install). the prop was a surprise about $8500 net more than budgeted and the install and annual both went over budget... had about $2050 in parts for the annual that were unexpected... (vaccum pump/filter, alternator, seat rails, new tubes/tires all the way around, etc.)

a quick word on the mechanic. i want to be fair b/c he did an outstanding job from a workmanship stand point. he is so meticulous that when he gets into something... he goes full bore. he doesnt just put it back together with whatever was there originally, he puts it back together right.

will we use him again? the jury is still out... i am scared to death to take it to him again, at this point. all in all the tangible positives out weigh the negatives, but i have a very hard time dealing with an individual that has such poor communication.

john c

140-142 gs at 23 squared?  19 gph in cruise or block time?  Curious, what was tas and altitude and oat?

GusMcRae

Good deal!  That will be interesting to see the numbers after the break in period.

If I thought I was going to keep 88R for a long time I would be in more of a hurry to add an engine monitor. 
That and the WAAS upgrade (in the progress of this) to the 430 would probably both hold their value when it did come time to trade planes. 

Glad to hear you are going to get to fly to the Fedex Playoffs, provided the weather cooperates. 

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on September 08, 2014, 11:47:09 am
Good deal!  That will be interesting to see the numbers after the break in period.

If I thought I was going to keep 88R for a long time I would be in more of a hurry to add an engine monitor. 
That and the WAAS upgrade (in the progress of this) to the 430 would probably both hold their value when it did come time to trade planes. 

Glad to hear you are going to get to fly to the Fedex Playoffs, provided the weather cooperates. 

i am hoping for mild IMC conditions so i can get some instrument work.  ;D

i will get to fly it normal ops for that trip which will be +/- 7 hours so will have a good look at the new numbers.

gotyacovered

Quote from: john c on September 08, 2014, 11:44:02 am
140-142 gs at 23 squared?  19 gph in cruise or block time?  Curious, what was tas and altitude and oat?

i missed your post originally, sorry...

140-142 gs at 23 squared?  19 gph in cruise or block time?

09/05/M18 to KLFK hour #2 of break-in. procedure calls for max power less than 3000ft, no leaning:

140-142 ground speed at tops of the greens... that fuel burn (19gph) was for the 3 hours at 3k msl around 75f.  indicating just under the yellow line which im not sure what it is off the top of my head... 160 MPH i think. i didnt note it in my records so that is purely a guess.

total fuel burn for initial break-in period (at this point just under 6 hours) is 17.13; this was a mixture of settings, but nothing under 23 squared--the .7 hrs to ksuz i was just squeeking out 23" of mp. something my old 470 didnt do.

details on the other break in flights:

09/05 KLFK to M18; hour 3 of break in calls for less than 3000ft anything over 23 squared:

1.5hrs of it was leaned 75 rop (factory 470 poh figure) and i got 16.4 gph at 4500ft msl oat was 69 and had gs of 137kts.

09/06 M18 to KSUZ procedure stays the same but alt restriction increase to 5000 and below:
the 2nd to last hour was from m18 to ksuz at 5500ft msl oat was mid 60's and indicating just under the yellow arc and i was getting 137kts over the ground; 23 squared and burnt 16.4gph (first time to lean it with the engine analyzer)

09/07 KSUZ to M18 same beak in procedure:
the last hour was from ksuz to m18 and was almost identical to the above (except fuel burn)... i cruised at 5000msl (long story--lit app thought i was IFR then he just let me stay there). maybe slight warmer, oat upper 60's, indicating in the yellow, and getting 140kts over the ground burning 14.7gph. also got several carb ice warnings on my engine analyzer, first time... temps were steadily 35-36.

both of those flight can bee seen on flightaware. N42653.

gotyacovered

got an break-in poil change today...

when mech cranked it up i couldnt help myself, video. he was checking for leaks and still had to wire the the filter is why its not all the way put back together, for the record: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxdd908jy8ulf89/Video%20Sep%2009%2C%2012%2031%2030.mov?dl=0

yes, that is me giggling at the awesomeness.

few pics of the engine itself:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jvleukjszsrovm1/Photo%20Sep%2009%2C%2011%2007%2013.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ouez1yzu8me6yw/Photo%20Sep%2009%2C%2011%2006%2059.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5hnzpvarnmqkwox/Photo%20Sep%2009%2C%2011%2005%2055.jpg?dl=0

john c

gotyacovered

john c...
original post below--here are numbers from my most recent flight time... 9 hours. (cross post from the other thread reporting on my trip to the FedEx Cup.
i got very familiar with my new engine prop though... went over at 7 and came back at 8. m18-klit-kpdk-klit-m18 was 9.07hours and 131.8gals. (14.6gph); that was WOT which was about 23 and 22 squared, respectively. i picked up about 6kts true. i have a 140-142kt airplane now at 14.6gph. after engine break in i will probably run it as 22 squared judging by the performance this weekend.

got a good refresher figuring out pressure alt, density altitude F to C conversions, etc. i should have written them down to give you the figures...

going over at 7 i was rolling along 141ktas; coming back was almost exactly the same--142ktas. i am going to use 140 for flight planning but i really feel like i have a 142-143kts airplane at 23 squared.

data (graphed) attached.

Quote from: gotyacovered on September 08, 2014, 05:40:09 pm
i missed your post originally, sorry...

09/05/M18 to KLFK hour #2 of break-in. procedure calls for max power less than 3000ft, no leaning:

140-142 ground speed at tops of the greens... that fuel burn (19gph) was for the 3 hours at 3k msl around 75f.  indicating just under the yellow line which im not sure what it is off the top of my head... 160 MPH i think. i didnt note it in my records so that is purely a guess.

total fuel burn for initial break-in period (at this point just under 6 hours) is 17.13; this was a mixture of settings, but nothing under 23 squared--the .7 hrs to ksuz i was just squeeking out 23" of mp. something my old 470 didnt do.

details on the other break in flights:

09/05 KLFK to M18; hour 3 of break in calls for less than 3000ft anything over 23 squared:

1.5hrs of it was leaned 75 rop (factory 470 poh figure) and i got 16.4 gph at 4500ft msl oat was 69 and had gs of 137kts.

09/06 M18 to KSUZ procedure stays the same but alt restriction increase to 5000 and below:
the 2nd to last hour was from m18 to ksuz at 5500ft msl oat was mid 60's and indicating just under the yellow arc and i was getting 137kts over the ground; 23 squared and burnt 16.4gph (first time to lean it with the engine analyzer)

09/07 KSUZ to M18 same beak in procedure:
the last hour was from ksuz to m18 and was almost identical to the above (except fuel burn)... i cruised at 5000msl (long story--lit app thought i was IFR then he just let me stay there). maybe slight warmer, oat upper 60's, indicating in the yellow, and getting 140kts over the ground burning 14.7gph. also got several carb ice warnings on my engine analyzer, first time... temps were steadily 35-36.

both of those flight can bee seen on flightaware. N42653.

[attachment deleted by admin]

john c

Nothing shabby about 140 kts in a 182.  May be a few other speed mods could get you to a 145 avg but why.  Any other money spent would better be spent in creature comforts such as windscreen thickness, insulation, etc. - and always electronics (coupled two axis autopilot).  The last 182 we had I used 155 as avg cruise.  Our Seneca would run about 165-170 kts so I planned on 190 mph.  We frequently went from Springfield, Missouri to Chicago Palwaukee (about 500 miles) and the block to block time difference between the Skylane and the Seneca averaged 25-30 minutes - not much.  Tulsa or Little Rock trips even less differential.  Seems like there are always delays somewhere with ATC or local traffic.  Kind of like the guy that passes you going real fast on the four lane and 7-8 miles up the road at the exit he is right in front of you.  And, of course, there is always the bladder limit for time in the air that eats into differentials.  That is why I liked the Skylane so much.  Would put a Saratoga in same class.  Even if someone comes up with a 300 hp diesel that would fit in the 182, may not be much cruise speed gain.  Just a darn good airplane.

gotyacovered

Quote from: john c on September 16, 2014, 10:01:49 pm
Nothing shabby about 140 kts in a 182.  May be a few other speed mods could get you to a 145 avg but why.  Any other money spent would better be spent in creature comforts such as windscreen thickness, insulation, etc. - and always electronics (coupled two axis autopilot).  The last 182 we had I used 155 as avg cruise.  Our Seneca would run about 165-170 kts so I planned on 190 mph.  We frequently went from Springfield, Missouri to Chicago Palwaukee (about 500 miles) and the block to block time difference between the Skylane and the Seneca averaged 25-30 minutes - not much.  Tulsa or Little Rock trips even less differential.  Seems like there are always delays somewhere with ATC or local traffic.  Kind of like the guy that passes you going real fast on the four lane and 7-8 miles up the road at the exit he is right in front of you.  And, of course, there is always the bladder limit for time in the air that eats into differentials.  That is why I liked the Skylane so much.  Would put a Saratoga in same class.  Even if someone comes up with a 300 hp diesel that would fit in the 182, may not be much cruise speed gain.  Just a darn good airplane.

totally agree... we did all this for anything but a speed increase, given the higher fuel burn, i am glad we got some speed out of it as well, though. the biggest thing we got was 2000tbo (as opposed to 1500tbo if we went back to the -R).

now we need to spend the same money on avionics ;D

oh man, what i'd give for an auto pilot and a GTN650...

john c

Put a Century 2000 two axis coupled to the GPS in ours, though not Flight Director expanded.  Like having a copilot.  And think of the safety factor for your family.  Yes, you need one, you deserve one, your wife wants you to get one, start looking, get brochures, etc.  Before you know it you got it.

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on September 16, 2014, 10:32:15 pm
oh man, what i'd give for an auto pilot and a GTN650...

You'd have to give quite a bit,,,,
I inquired 2 years ago about adding altitude hold to S-TEC 20 (heading only), and it would be $10K.  Yikes!  I said "no thanks".