Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

aeroshell/phillips

Started by gotyacovered, July 22, 2013, 01:36:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

black or blue..... what are you guys using?

i am currently using aeroshell and am about to switch to the phillips. i am apprehensive about it for some reason.

You are what you tolerate.

Pistol Pete

I use Phillips oil. It's what has always been used in our plane.

GusMcRae

Phillips in the 150, Aeroshell in the 182.
That's what the previous owners were using respectively, and we've stuck with it.
My FBO keeps both on hand. 
Probably should switch one of them over and use the same in both. 
I think they're both good, wouldn't bother me to switch over to either one.
Just check the level religiously, and change it as recommended.  I would be shocked if you notice anything.   
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

im switching, i can get the phillips cheap cheap.

see what happens, hopefully nothing!!! it all has to meet same standards anyways!

GusMcRae

During my down time, and talking with some folks in the business, it was recommended to me to switch to Phillips if you have a filter.
According to this authority, the Aeorshell oils are designed to capture micro fine particles, and they will accumulate in little cracks and corners in the pan, etc...  These are micro-fine particles that won't really hurt anything by laying around in there, but when the engine is finally torn down for overhaul, there's this gunk left inside that will probably be cleaned out at that time.  And over the life of an engine, the amount of this build-up is fairly insignificant and doesn't really hurt anything. 

The Phillips oil is designed to keep all of these micro fine particles with the oil, and the filter will catch them as the oil circulates, thus when an engine that's been running Phillips is cracked open for repair, they are supposedly spotless inside. 

Just passing this along. 

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on December 05, 2013, 09:49:52 am
During my down time, and talking with some folks in the business, it was recommended to me to switch to Phillips if you have a filter.
According to this authority, the Aeorshell oils are designed to capture micro fine particles, and they will accumulate in little cracks and corners in the pan, etc...  These are micro-fine particles that won't really hurt anything by laying around in there, but when the engine is finally torn down for overhaul, there's this gunk left inside that will probably be cleaned out at that time.  And over the life of an engine, the amount of this build-up is fairly insignificant and doesn't really hurt anything. 

The Phillips oil is designed to keep all of these micro fine particles with the oil, and the filter will catch them as the oil circulates, thus when an engine that's been running Phillips is cracked open for repair, they are supposedly spotless inside. 

Just passing this along. 

after 1.5 cases i cannot tella difference in the oil... we will see long term. not that i have a long term engine at this point ;D

GusMcRae

I need to keep better track of how many quarts I add between oil changes, but it sure seems like I'm adding more of the Phillips XC than I did Aeroshell.  And it could be that my engine is beginning to burn more.  However, I have all but 1 leak stopped (push rod tube not installed properly 2 years ago on a new cyl, has a nagging drip), but maybe that one is getting worse.  Hardly any in the hangar floor, but the belly of the plane stays messy.

gotyacovered

September 11, 2014, 08:13:38 am #7 Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 08:23:59 am by gotyacovered
Quote from: GusMcRae on September 10, 2014, 10:05:17 am
I need to keep better track of how many quarts I add between oil changes, but it sure seems like I'm adding more of the Phillips XC than I did Aeroshell.  And it could be that my engine is beginning to burn more.  However, I have all but 1 leak stopped (push rod tube not installed properly 2 years ago on a new cyl, has a nagging drip), but maybe that one is getting worse.  Hardly any in the hangar floor, but the belly of the plane stays messy.

did you start using myflightbook?

when i was going through oil almost as fast as as fuel i was noting how much i was adding... it is displayed with the number of hours on the recent flights screen. (in adddition to the fuel added under flight properties, i also put number of gallson with tach time so i can do quick fuel burn calculations without opening individual flights.)

[attachment deleted by admin]

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on September 11, 2014, 08:13:38 am
did you start using myflightbook?

Yes I did

Quote from: gotyacovered on September 11, 2014, 08:13:38 am
when i was going through oil almost as fast as as fuel i was noting how much i was adding... it is displayed with the number of hours on the recent flights screen. (in adddition to the fuel added under flight properties, i also put number of gallson with tach time so i can do quick fuel burn calculations without opening individual flights.)
Good idea.  Will try to start doing that.