Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Real Deal Report (Updated Tues 4/22)

Started by RazorAg, April 19, 2014, 11:14:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorAg

April 19, 2014, 11:14:08 pm Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 07:48:00 pm by RazorAg
With this being Easter weekend, I was only able to stay until 6:30 or so today. Sucks; I wanted to see more. Hopefully, some of you will be able to take in action tonight and tomorrow.

I saw all games that involved Arkansas recruits. Thoughts on those guys first:

- Malik Monk: Minus the first bracket game against another Arkansas Wings team, he showed off everything he can do, and as always, did it spectacularly. A streaky three point shooter, he was more on than off. When he he's hitting three's, he'll be the best player on the court most times....so, he was last night and earlier today. He played backup PG and did it well; a lot of assists. Of course, he scored at the rim and brought the crowd to its feet many times. Playing up one age group, he will be lauded a ton this summer on the biggest stages. No recruitment update; still early for that. We're right there, though.

- KeVaughn Allen: Hated that he wasn't playing on a better team this weekend. The team he played for, the Arkansas Hoyas, is coached by Kahn Cotton, who has put in a lot of work training KeVaughn and others. He had no help, though. He ran the point, which he's very capable of, but also scored it at a high clip. Like Monk, he also brought the crowd to its feet several times. Love the kid. I hope things warm up with us this spring/summer.

- Admon Gilder: Was really excited to see him in person for the first time. He has a smooth, in-control game. Looked like the 6'2 that he's listed at. True combo guard; he's good on and off the ball. Absolutely beautiful stroke. Knockdown jump shooter. He hit 5-6 threes tha game I watched. Good defensively, too. Would love to land him; gut says it will be hard to get him away from SMU.

- Melvin Frazier: Eric Bossi of Rivals compared him to Rondae Hollis-Jefferson of Arizona, and it's spot on. Supreme athlete that produces tangibles and intangibles due to doing the dirty work. Very good defensively. At 6'5ish, he'll likely be an undersized forward at the college level because he doesn't have a great perimeter skill set, but I'd take him tomorrow.

- Donte Fitzpatrick: I'd like to see him more, but he showed some flashes of really good. Definitely good potential. Good size at 6'4ish and length with good ball skills. Athletic. Made smart plays; didn't force a lot. Gut says he'll be a good one.

- Adrian Moore: Tried to watch him with the New Orleans Elite team, but he came off of the bench, and I ended up watching other games on other courts. He was active, as always. But, not a lot of offensive production, which is par for the course when I've watched him. He's going to have to develop a better perimeter offensive skill set pronto.

- Dedric Lawson: Listing him in this section because we're on his list, but I don't give us a chance. At 6'8 and a 2016 kid, he's highly skilled. I'm not totally sold on him being a top 10 player down the road because he's an average athlete and he and his brother don't play defense. He's crafty, though.

Other Arkansas Wings:

- Skal Labissiere (2015; 6'11 Post): I didn't list Skal in my Real Deal Guide because I got the impression earlier this week that he wouldn't be playing for the Wings. So, I was thrilled when I walked into the gym Friday and saw him. He's so fun to watch. He isn't without limitations; he can play a little soft at times. But, my gosh, at 6'11, to be that skilled....it's scary. Very productive on both ends. We'd love to have him, but that ain't happening.

- Marlon Hunter (2015; 6'2 Wing): Currently, a top 150 kid, he's an interesting prospect. 6'2ish and very quick, he's an absolute menace on the defensive end. A game changer. He has above average ball skills and puts up points by energy, defense and smart play, but his jumper is suspect. Unorthodox form. He elevates very high, stretches his arms all the way up and kind of flicks the ball. He knocked down a few here and there, but he was off more than on. Would like to see more. Just not sure. I like him but he'll likely be mostly a defense guy at the next level...and that can work with us; just need to make sure your offensive needs are met if you take him.

- Victor Dukes (2015; 6'3 Wing): I was happy to see Victor again; he didn't play the high school season due to transfer rules. Some of you may be aware of him, as he was on the Best of the Best Sportscenter plays for dunking on some poor kid with his head at the rim. He's at Jonesboro now, coached by Wes Swift, who also coaches the Wings. After I saw him destroy the 16U division last year, I became sold on him being a D1 prospect. He needed to improve his jumper and work on his body (was carrying some bad weight). I had heard that Coach Swift had really been in him hard since he transferred over. He looks good. Jumper is still suspect, though. Like Hunter, just bad form. However, he is highly, highly proficient off the bounce. Kid has one of the better left hands of a right handed player at this level. He'll get some looks.

- Marquise Pointer (2015; 6'1 PG): Marquise has turned himself into a D1 prospect at the PG spot. Still doesn't pass the ball all that well, but keeps the ball on a string, and gets where he wants to get by skill, quickness and strength. Good scorer off the bounce. Not a great jumper, but can stick it here and there.

- Lawson Korita (2016; 6'3 Wing): Really, really like this kid. Great prospect, IMO. Good frame on him, and still growing. Knockdown shooter with ability to create when he identifies seams. Averaged 27 per at Pulaski Academy last season. One to watch here.

- Gojko Djokovic (2015; 6'8 Post): At Southwest Christian in Little Rock now, he's from Serbia originally. A face up 4 with a very nice jump shot. Definite college prospect due to his size, skill and athleticism, but will need to toughen up quickly to land in D1. Moves very well. High ceiling if he commits.

- Jamario Bell (2015; 6'6 Post): I wasn't exactly Nostrodamus when I said almost three summers ago that I thought Jamario had a future with his hand in the dirt, but let me say this - the kid has gotten a lot better on the hardwood. Fun to watch. Wouldn't be surprised if he approached CBB with desire to play bball when done with football. He could contribute.

Players that caught my eye:

- 6'7ish kid on Rashard Lewis 9 Elite. Still trying to figure out who it is; he looked young. Outstanding prospect, IMO. Played the wing. Shot it well. Boarded well very athletic.

- Quinndary Weatherspoon (2015; 6'4 Wing): Can really score it. Top 150 player, IMO.

- Ethan Henderson (2018; 6'7 Post): Yes, 2018; he's in the 8th grade in Little Rock. Plays for the Arkansas Hawks. I always like to watch some young guys. I vowed to do that ever since I saw Jahlil Okafor when he was an 8th grader. Remember this name folks. Henderson is a major prospect. As with any 8th grader than big, some things are coming along, but he is fluid, explosive, and pretty skilled. Great hands. Very, very impressive.

- Reginald Perry (2018; 6'7 Combo F): Ethan's teammate and apparently from Tallahassee, Fl. Not sure the connection to the Hawks. High ceiling for this kid. Has a nice perimeter skill set considering his age and size. If he develops normally, should be a big time player.

Notable people I saw - Todd Day (coaches Team Penny along with Penny), Dwight Stewart, Bobby Portis, Anton Beard, Trey Thompson, Archie Goodwin

-Blu

Nice. Thanks for the report Razor.

I was really interested to hear about Frazier and Fitzpatrick, glad you got a chance to see them and give some feedback.

bigt05

A couple Questions.

Was Labissiere the starting C for the Wings and who were 23&24 for the Wings, #3 for Dallas Mustangs, the 6'10-7'0 footer for Q6?

bigt05

Sry for the Double post...

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: bigt05 on April 20, 2014, 01:33:42 am
A couple Questions.

Was Labissiere the starting C for the Wings and who were 23&24 for the Wings, #3 for Dallas Mustangs, the 6'10-7'0 footer for Q6?
Yes Skai Lassaibiere is the C for the Wings. He is the kid that looks like a skinnier Anthony Davis physically.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

RazorAg

Quote from: bigt05 on April 20, 2014, 01:33:42 am
A couple Questions.

who were 23&24 for the Wings, #3 for Dallas Mustangs, the 6'10-7'0 footer for Q6?

23 was Marlon Hunter. 24 was Marquise Pointer.

Can't remember numbers for the Dallas Mustangs.

Didn't dig on the Q6 guys; did see the 7+ footer.

gogamer

Quote from: RazorAg on April 19, 2014, 11:14:08 pm
Players that caught my eye:

- 6'7ish kid on Rashard Lewis 9 Elite. Still trying to figure out who it is; he looked young. Outstanding prospect, IMO. Played the wing. Shot it well. Boarded well very athletic.

Was this the kid wearing #2 and had kind of long fluffy hair?  Was trying to figure out his name but haven't had any luck.  Saw him play Friday night.  Awesome wing that could jump out of the building!

MGB1229

Have to agree with you on Melvin Frazier.  That guy is a freak.  Wouldn't mind him in a hog uniform one bit. 

RazorAg

Quote from: gogamer on April 20, 2014, 09:45:08 am
Was this the kid wearing #2 and had kind of long fluffy hair?  Was trying to figure out his name but haven't had any luck.  Saw him play Friday night.  Awesome wing that could jump out of the building!

That's him

MGB1229

Did any one of you guys get a chance to see Mitchell Smith?  Curious about the development of that guy. 

RazorAg

Quote from: MGB1229 on April 20, 2014, 10:19:13 am
Did any one of you guys get a chance to see Mitchell Smith?  Curious about the development of that guy. 

I meant to mention that he wasn't on the 17U team. Not sure why

Razorod

Once again, thanks RazorAg.

Do you have any feel yet who CMA and staff are zeroing in on?

We know we have two spots to fill, but will likely have at least one more open up.

I'm figuring one guard, a wing and a big right now. What do you have?
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

hs6

Smith plays on the 16u NWA Wings I believe.

RazorAg

The 17U Arkansas Wings did not play on Sunday due to Easter. That was a decision made before they agreed to play in the tourney. They won their first and second round games in bracket play, and shut it down. So, that means they went 4-0 for the weekend.

Ironically, the team that they would've played first on Sunday morning, the Dallas Mustangs, won the tourney. Again, that's Arkansas prospect Admon Gilder's team. Surprising to me that they did win, beating All Ohio Red, who beat Team Penny to get to the championship. The Mustangs were undersized, but were athletic, aggressive and played great defense. Plus, Gilder is a very, very productive offensive player.

Also, got word that Mitchell Smith, the 6'9 sophomore out of Van Buren, decided to play for the NWA Wings16U team this spring/summer. It had been said that he would play for the 17U EYBL Wings, but I was told that he and his family decided that it would be best for him to play on the other team. In no way do I have enough info to reasonably debate that decision; however, I do know that big, slender kids like him in Arkansas need to see competition. Wes Swift, the 17U EYBL team coach, plays a lot of players. I think he would've benefitted greatly from playing more competition than he will now.

The 16U EYBL Wings won the Real Deal 16U Championship. I'm still gathering info on their personnel, but I know 6'2ish soph Payton Willis from Fayetteville plays on the team, and had some good games this weekend. I've been meaning to talk more about him; he's a D1 prospect. I saw him a few times in high school this year, and he's very, very skilled; plays with great pace with the ball in his hands, can handle it well, and really can shoot it. He led the Fayetteville team in every way. He'll be a good one and one to watch; should get some national exposure this spring/summer.

The 14U Arkansas Hawks, featuring the two kids I talked about in my original report post, Ethan Henderson and Reginald Perry, won the championship. No surprise; that team was really good. The team wasn't just those two players. Their guard play was excellent; some prospects there, too. If that team stays together, the players grow and develop naturally, they will be salty.

Here's a highlight video:

> Top Play Highlight Video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0MwCw6BrSk

In one article, author states that we're giving 2015 6'9 post Danta Hales a look. He apparently impressed.

I'll post more if new stuff pops up. Really wish I was able to see Sunday's games, but still a good time as always. Heavy recruiting season starts now; coaches will go out on the road this week, so we should start hearing more about who we're zeroing in on.

RazorAg

On another board, I was responding to a poster's thoughts.  Thought the opinions/info might be useful here, too:

Did you really watch Gilder closely and did you watch the whole game? He's not a flashy player by any means; instead, he doesn't waste movement and is always in control. The game you watched, he had 24, and should've had more if he had hit more than half of his free throws (was highly abnormal for him). Reports from Sunday detailed that he continued to score consistently well, leading them to the championship.

With Korita, don't blame you for your position. I'm only saying that he's a nice prospect at this time, too. However, to be a 2016 kid, that skilled, productive and still growing...I'm excited about him. The fact that his body is what it is at this point tells me that he works hard, and he's likely to be very physical and strong very soon, which will help his game tremendously. He's well ahead of Dusty Hannahs at the same point, who turned into a high major D1 player.

Yeah, on Djokovic, it's all about strength, IMO. That's why I said, he'll turn into a D1 player if he commits, meaning in the weight room, mostly. Not an explosive player, but above average overall athleticism for a kid that size. Fluid and runs the court well. He made a few plays that screamed potential. This is money time for him; has to work really hard from here. Will be interesting to see how he turns out.

I've said this for two years - Skal is almost a replica of Isaiah Austin of Baylor. The good news is that he works more around the paint than Isaiah, who had/has a habit to stand around the perimeter too much at times. Skal has muscled up nicely in the last two years. Still skinny, but he's working and he has a nice frame to add more. Eric Bossi saw some Tyson Chandler in him; I see more Lamarcus Aldridge.

RazorAg

Quote from: hs6 on April 20, 2014, 05:43:22 pm
Smith plays on the 16u NWA Wings I believe.

You got it.  Confirmed that yesterday.

RazorAg

April 21, 2014, 10:27:03 am #16 Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:21:54 am by RazorAg
Quote from: Razorod on April 20, 2014, 02:34:54 pm
Once again, thanks RazorAg.

Do you have any feel yet who CMA and staff are zeroing in on?

We know we have two spots to fill, but will likely have at least one more open up.

I'm figuring one guard, a wing and a big right now. What do you have?

Due to coaches not being able to attend games yet (starts this week), I don't know any more than I did before last weekend.  Should start learning more after this weekend.

I agree with your expectations on the types of players we'll be after, although the guard and wings are a blend to me.  We've seen that Mike doesn't mind playing a 6'3 guy as his "small forward".  In the college game, you can do that, if that guy is lengthy, athletic and strong.

ricepig

Ag, how did Pointer look? I didn't see any of the games, and haven't had the opportunity to talk with Wes yet. I know he said Clemson would be at the high school today to visit. Do you see him as "major", mid, or D-I talent?

bigt05

Was Gilder #3 or 4 for Dallas.

RazorAg

Quote from: bigt05 on April 21, 2014, 11:51:38 am
Quote from: ricepig on April 21, 2014, 11:09:16 am
Ag, how did Pointer look? I didn't see any of the games, and haven't had the opportunity to talk with Wes yet. I know he said Clemson would be at the high school today to visit. Do you see him as "major", mid, or D-I talent?

Good overall. He makes that team go for the most part. I'd like to see more passing vision from him, but he's pretty effective without it. He's going to get some high major consideration. I think he's kinda in between mid and major talent-wise.

RazorAg

Quote from: bigt05 on April 21, 2014, 11:51:38 am

Thanks for asking, again. I didn't know the first time you asked, but I saw a picture yesterday; Gilder was #3.

RazorAg

April 22, 2014, 07:48:16 pm #21 Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 01:15:23 pm by RazorAg
More articles came out today.  I've posted relevant reports below, including some much needed info on Arkansas 16U team prospects.

One service:

- Malik Monk (2016): A freak athlete, the 6-foot-3 Monk had the local crowd on the edge of their seats all weekend long with his play. When he wasn't dismantling rims with his dunks, he was showing picture-perfect form on his jump shot, knocking down constested shots all over the floor. He is also a skilled slasher, using an explosive first step and crafty hangtime ability to finish around the rim against contact. Currently sitting at #12 in our rankings, he is making a strong push to land in the top 10 at our next rankings update.

- Admon Gilder (2015): For the Mustangs, it was the play of Admon Gilder all weekend that had people impressed. The 6-foot-2 shooting guard makes scoring the basketball look easy, and proved that he might be the best perimeter scorer in the country for 2015. After his dominating performances over the weekend, he has all but sealed his status as a top 50 prospect. If you want baskets, he can get them for you...in a hurry.

- Tyrus Grayson (6'5 Wing Junction City, AR 2016): Sophomore Tyrus Grayson of the Arkansas Hawks showed the promise of a future division one player with his elite athleticism coupled with his size and wing skills. At 6-foot-5, right now he is at his best in transition, but he knows how to get to the rim and is crafty around the basket.

- Eric Curry (2016): Arkansas Wings 16U power forward Eric Curry had himself an excellent weekend. At 6-foot-7, the long-armed post is bouncy and showed a high motor which helped him get several points and rebounds each game on effort alone. He is athletic and works hard on both ends of the floor. Watch out for the Memphis Ridgeway (TN) product.

- Jecoby Bush, 2016 CF, RL9 (this is the player I was trying to get a name on): Bush burst onto the scene on Friday night with his ridiculous athleticism. He had a series of thunderous dunks in transition and showed that he can run the floor well. On the defensive end of the ball he was an imposing shot blocker and grabbed every rebound at its highest point. Bush also stepped out and hit a few threes throughout the weekend. He is definitely one to keep an eye on.

- Donte Fitzpatrick, 2015 SG, Team Penny: One wing who has put a lot of work into his game over the past year is the 6-foot-5 Memphis prospect. He is a lethal perimeter scorer who can get hot shooting it from mid-range, three-point range, or off-the-dribble. He knows how to create separation and is also good when finishing at the rim against larger players.

- Payton Willis, 2016 CG, Arkansas Wings: All Willis did was produce throughout the tournament, putting up numbers in each of his teams 16U games. The 6'3'' guard played point guard at times but was at his best when attacking the rim and looking to score. He helped to lead his team to the championship with his scoring and playmaking ability. If he improves his three point stroke, look out.

- Malik Hicks, 2015 SF, Memphis Magic (we're giving him a look): Hicks plays a bit like former Morehead State star Kenneth Faried in that he is an active body who plays bigger than he actually is. He got into the lane and finished through contact all weekend and was a great defender. If he continues to develop his shot he will turn himself into a can't miss high-major recruit.

Second Service:

Best Surprise
Admon Gilder
6-3, 180, 2015, SG
Gilder is a supreme scorer. He consistently found ways to put the ball in the basket all weekend, culminating with a 28-point performance in the championship game. Gilder is a good shooter who can create off the bounce. He should be a high priority for Big 12 and SEC schools.

Best Prospect
Malik Monk
6-3, 175, 2016, SG
Monk is one of the better long-term prospects in the 2016 class. He has elite-level athleticism and the ability to hit jump shots to 25 feet. Monk was fantastic all weekend and was probably the best pure player in the tournament. Once our rankings are updated it might be very hard to keep him from being top five in the class.

Best Athlete
Kevaughn Allen
6-3, 180, 2015, SG
Allen had a couple of dunks that could have been on SportsCenter. He jumps high with a lot of power and is not just a dunker. He is a good jump shooter with range beyond 20 feet. He has had some injury problems, but if he can stay healthy, he should elevate his national profile.

hs6

Willis plays for the Wings and is the PG at Fayetteville High School.

RazorAg

Quote from: hs6 on April 22, 2014, 09:24:32 pm
Willis plays for the Wings and is the PG at Fayetteville High School.

Yeah, I mentioned that and more a few posts above in this thread in case you and/or others missed it.

Razorod

Ag, who do you like better for the bigger wing, Frazier or Fitzpatrick? Seems like Frazier is the more athletic, but Fitzpatrick the more skilled. Which one do you think Hogs need more?
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

azhog10

Quote from: RazorAg on April 23, 2014, 07:18:28 am
Yeah, I mentioned that and more a few posts above in this thread in case you and/or others missed it.
On one of your posts it says Hawks for Willis, and another spot you say Wings. That's probably the confusion

azhog10

Seems to be a lot of talent in the coming years for Arkansas basketball. It will be interesting to see who develops over the next couple years.

MGB1229

Quote from: Razorod on April 23, 2014, 07:39:32 am
Ag, who do you like better for the bigger wing, Frazier or Fitzpatrick? Seems like Frazier is the more athletic, but Fitzpatrick the more skilled. Which one do you think Hogs need more?

A couple of highlights of Frazier.  Guy is explosive to say the least. 

http://youtu.be/fASZZ3lZgqk

http://youtu.be/tS6UbQ6HHlo

If his skills keep improving then sky is the limit with that guy.  He will be a monster defender.

The_Iceman

Quote from: MGB1229 on April 23, 2014, 12:43:55 pm
A couple of highlights of Frazier.  Guy is explosive to say the least. 

http://youtu.be/fASZZ3lZgqk

http://youtu.be/tS6UbQ6HHlo

If his skills keep improving then sky is the limit with that guy.  He will be a monster defender.

http://247sports.com/Player/Melvin-Frazier-33650

Kid fits our system perfectly. Would be awesome to grab him.

RazorAg

Quote from: Razorod on April 23, 2014, 07:39:32 am

I probably lean toward Frazier based on what I've seen.  I struggle with that, though, b/c I'm naturally drawn toward more skilled players.  I just think Frazier's ceiling is higher, and I detect develop-able areas that can be improved pretty quickly.  Frazier's instincts and decisions are already sound.  I think Frazier may affect more of the game than Fitzpatrick. 

Quote from: azhog10 on April 23, 2014, 11:04:33 am
On one of your posts it says Hawks for Willis, and another spot you say Wings. That's probably the confusion

Thanks.  I noticed that a few minutes ago, too.  Where it shows him as playing for the Hawks, that's a copy/paste job from an article - not my words.  I'll edit.