Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gafford draft projections

Started by Hog_Fink, February 10, 2018, 05:57:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny J

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 10, 2018, 11:24:27 pm
Definitely the case this year (redshirt), but if he doesn't get to play next year I think there's an exception.  I could be wrong again.
Yes...he can get that exemption that counts against his overall eligibility to play an extra season but he would have to be counted as a walk on I believe in order to free up his scholarship. I just don't want us to see a repeat of the Qualls/Portis fiasco when many of us on here were all over Mikes case for not over signing even before rumors started flying in early February that they both were likely leaving. Remember that all the years that Mike has been here up to and including that year we were having players transfer out so the point was being made that he should start over signing until he had a better grasp of players intentions. If i were Mike I would still be after 2 more guys at this point and both would be bigs.

East Clintwood

He'll get real coaching in the nba.  He's not getting that here.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

razorback1829

Quote from: East Clintwood on February 11, 2018, 02:26:25 am

Here we go 🙄.

zebradynasty

If you saw him in high school compared to where he is now...you would withdraw that statement. He's taken a huge step in one year. I see no reason to think he won't take another huge step this year if he stays. Of course he's not going to improve as much playing college as he will in the NBA. That darn NCAA is hung up on that going to class thing and how many hours of practice a week.. ::). But he will get enough work and improve enough to convince a lot more teams that he is a lotto pick IF he stays one more year.

sadhogfan

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 11, 2018, 08:19:04 am
If you saw him in high school compared to where he is now...you would withdraw that statement. He's taken a huge step in one year. I see no reason to think he won't take another huge step this year if he stays. Of course he's not going to improve as much playing college as he will in the NBA. That darn NCAA is hung up on that going to class thing and how many hours of practice a week.. ::). But he will get enough work and improve enough to convince a lot more teams that he is a lotto pick IF he stays one more year.

Good post.

What is the money difference between being drafted, say, at 25 vs. being taken at around 8 or so?

jgphillips3

He is raw.  Yes, the NBA does draft potential but as of today, with games left to go,he can make himself a certain first round pick by coming back and getting better.  He's still got 6 regular season games plus at least 1 SEC tourney game to continue developing but, as of right now, he should pull a Bobby Portis and do his second year of college and secure his higher draft slot.

The_Iceman

If we lose Gafford, get ready for a year of suck in 2018-2019.

thebignasty

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 10, 2018, 09:41:10 pm
He will cost himself millions if he goes this year.

He will be a lottery pick next season.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbelzer/2017/06/23/2017-nba-draft-1st-round-rookie-salary-projections/#79f75595be15

If he can go in the first round, you go, because the year you made nothing when you had nba earning potential counts too.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

hawgball40

man, 2 in the morning for this post? you got an early start on dumbest post of the day. no one else should even try.

Hog_Fink

he will certainly get a chance to show off an improved offensive skill set next year, but if he plays himself into the mid 1st rd, I don't see how you stay

hoglady

Quote from: PORKULATOR on February 10, 2018, 10:57:02 pm
no, I've watched him get shut down by guys who WON'T play in the NBA and he misses more free throws than Shaq.  Another year and he's a high draft pick,
Now pick your head out of your butt, He's coming back next year.

Yes - he's so bad at the line he's reminding people of Shaq.
Kid can be a great NBA prospect - but right now he couldn't stay on the floor in the NBA.
Everyone says he should leave and he'd be better off - I don't know.
He certainly hasn't shown a desire to mix it up much down low with the bigger players - he just doesn't have the strength.
Guess it depends on where he'd rather be next year - in college or getting paid in the G league.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hawg Red

Quote from: tncbg on February 10, 2018, 10:10:01 pm
He's definitely draftable, but not even close to ready. He has a long way to go to be ready to play meaningful minutes in the NBA. He has loads of potential but he has to get stronger, develop a jump shot, learn to handle the ball, shoot free throws, defend without fouling, etc. He needs one more year at least. How quickly we forget his disappearance in early SEC games.

Don't care. It's for Daniel Gafford to decide if he's ready enough to go pro. The NBA will absolutely draft him in the first round. I support DG either way, but he's a clear first round prospect at this point. Most NBA teams have G-League teams by this point and more will be added for next season. He will likely get better coaching away from Arkansas so coming back to school isn't the only way he can develop, but it is the only way he can do it and not make any money. The statement I replied to was about DG not being draftable, which is dumb, and people keep hitting me back about being ready as if that matters.

hawgball40

Quote from: hoglady on February 11, 2018, 03:36:35 pm
Yes - he's so bad at the line he's reminding people of Shaq.
Kid can be a great NBA prospect - but right now he couldn't stay on the floor in the NBA.
Everyone says he should leave and he'd be better off - I don't know.
He certainly hasn't shown a desire to mix it up much down low with the bigger players - he just doesn't have the strength.
Guess it depends on where he'd rather be next year - in college or getting paid in the G league.
Hasn't shown a desire? You must be high on something. he gets down there and bangs as hard as he can, definitely doesn't shy away. He's just getting pushed around by bigger and/or stronger and more experienced players. This isn't a problem unique to him. Nearly all of the touted freshman bigs have this problem. Especially bagley and bamba. they are just more skilled so they get a pass. Gafford isn't as skilled, that's the only knock on him right now. the strength on the block is a non concern for nba teams drafting.

Hogz87

Quote from: hogsanity on February 10, 2018, 07:18:44 pm
My thought, ready or not, if the nba people tell him he is going to be a 1st rounder you have to go. Ask Moses. He was projected as a 2nd rounder after his jr yr, came back and dropped out of the draft. If Gafford is projected 1st rn you go, bank your money and set yourself up for life if you make good choices.
As hard of a pill as it is for some to swallow, this is true.

Think of it this way, if any of us who went to college were offered a job that would instantly make us a multi-millionaire, we'd immediately jump on that opportunity without any hesitation.  If you can be drafted in the first round, then you're guaranteed to be a multi-millionaire while working to perfect your craft.  Gafford could go pro after this year and spend his entire day focusing solely on basketball while working with the best of the best in terms of overall basketball development.  It may not ever pan out for him, but it's an opportunity that's almost silly to pass up. 

Personally, I don't think Gafford is ready to be an impact player in the NBA.  However, he's a 19 year old kid who could potentially have an employer offering him 3-5 million dollars.  Even the 30th pick is guaranteed to make over $4-million dollars over the first three years of his career. 

hawgball40

Quote from: Hogz87 on February 11, 2018, 04:04:34 pm
As hard of a pill as it is for some to swallow, this is true.

Think of it this way, if any of us who went to college were offered a job that would instantly make us a multi-millionaire, we'd immediately jump on that opportunity without any hesitation. If you can be drafted in the first round, then you're guaranteed to be a multi-millionaire while working to perfect your craft.  Gafford could go pro after this year and spend his entire day focusing solely on basketball while working with the best of the best in terms of overall basketball development.  It may not ever pan out for him, but it's an opportunity that's almost silly to pass up. 

Personally, I don't think Gafford is ready to be an impact player in the NBA.  However, he's a 19 year old kid who could potentially have an employer offering him 3-5 million dollars.  Even the 30th pick is guaranteed to make over $4-million dollars over the first three years of his career.
Speak for yourself. I wouldn't. Money isn't everything to everyone. And some people are not willing to bail on their commitments so easily. Now granted, the NBA is likely his dream job, but me thinks there is a chance money isn't the biggest factor in Dan's decision.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgball40 on February 11, 2018, 04:09:03 pm
Speak for yourself. I wouldn't.

Easy to say when there is no chance you will ever be faced with that choice.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawg Red

"Real" isn't the word I'd use, but I do believe he'd get better coaching, most likely, at the next level. That really isn't meant to be a statement on Anderson's coaching ability, but the fact is he's coaching the same way he was 10 years ago. There are more evolved basketball minds in the NBA. Now, there is no guarantee that he ends up with better/more evolved coaching, but I'd say odds are he does. And that isn't to say he can continue to develop under MA, because he certianly has in the short time he's been on the Hill, but staying in college isn't the only way a player can or sometimes should develop. DG can/will develop more either way but he will make millions doing it at the next level and that just isn't something Mike can offer him. It's up to Gafford and where he falls in the draft process.

Mjs84

Quote from: Breems on February 10, 2018, 09:32:07 pm
That windmill dunk should be drafted #1.

The windmill put him on the national map for sure.  Millions are waiting should he leave, praying to God he stays.

daprospecta

Quote from: Mjs84 on February 11, 2018, 04:59:06 pm
The windmill put him on the national map for sure.  Millions are waiting should he leave, praying to God he stays.
I only want him to stay if the 1st round isn't guaranteed.  At the moment, I would say it isn't. If we can make a run these last few games, into the sec tourney and he has a great NCAA tourney, he can lock himself into the 1st round. It's not probable but it's possible.

Beaverfever

That 15 footer he knocked down yesterday is what caught my attention.  I think he's potentially decent shooter and he just hasn't played enough basketball to fine tune his shot.  Most kids his age have been playing ball every day for close to 10 years and he is still so raw. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on February 11, 2018, 06:11:06 pm
Agaim, he point blank said he would be back for one more year. He plans to be 2 and done. Been that way all along.

Means absolutely nothing in early February. He may be back, but an actual decision has not been made. If he goes on a tear and his draft stock is on the top 10, he's gone. What matters is what is decided when intentions meet reality.

hoglady

Gafford should take advantage of the rule changes - take the extra weeks, get the needed NBA feedback and then make his decision. The system is pretty player friendly now so a good informed decision can be made.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

nwahogfan1

Quote from: galactivation on February 10, 2018, 05:57:34 pm
Bleacher Report just released their
post trade deadline mock draft
Gafford going 22nd to Milwaukee

This is just dumb.  Gafford is not going in the 1st round so hopefully he will stick around another year.   If not we are dead next year unless Mike can get a transfer.   I hope he can get a JUCO or a transfer anyway.  We need more big men next year.  Hopefully some one who can score.

golfinpig

Gafford is at least a couple of years away from being any kind of impact player in the NBA. He could spend those 2 years sitting on an NBA bench however.

Beaverfever

Quote from: golfinpig on February 11, 2018, 09:57:27 pm
Gafford is at least a couple of years away from being any kind of impact player in the NBA. He could spend those 2 years sitting on an NBA bench however.
Yeah he's got a lot of upside and he'd probably be a lottery pick if this were 2001.  I can't imagine a team pulling the trigger on him at this point and giving him a guaranteed contract.  They'd be waiting at least 2 years to get anything out of him.  I think he needs at least a year before he could play in the D league.  Tons of potential though and if he can get paid the big bucks sooner than that I'll be happy for him.

husker71

take the money and run.   Say he gets drafted by the Mavs  well they have like 11 coaches when they show the bench(and behind the bench)  on tv.  Certainly they would have a couple of big man coaches to be working with him everyday.  A couple of weight/nutrition coaches to help him with that.  Even time in the D league would be good if needed.  I hope he stays but if he goes he goes.  For those who insist he stay I got 2 words for you Terrence Morris.

urkillnmesmalls

When it is life changing money, then the decision is easy.  I think he should play the "where would I land?" not hire an agent, and see where things all. 

There are too many variables.  Tyler Wilson likely lost out on millions by not going when he had the chance after the 2011 season.  There are LOTS of other examples. 

The argument that he will develop in college is nothing compared to how he will develop as a player when it is his job.  If he's projected mid first round...he's got to go. 

If he was coming back for a possible NC, and great exposure as a result...and a definite lottery pick, easy decision.  But...he's not, and we will be lucky to be a tournament team next year with what we'll lose.  More pressure on him to pick up the slack, but more room for defenses to key on him as well.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Rawker

Quote from: hogsanity on February 10, 2018, 06:58:55 pm
He will develop more sitting on a nba bench than never getting the ball thrown to him for the Hogs.
Beard's gone after this year, and the Hogs might be getting a couple more guys that look at other players on the floor, so things might be looking up in that regard

Hawg Red

Here are my opinions on Gafford and the NBA:

- He is absolutely an NBA prospect and would be a first-round lock if he entered the draft after this season. He's ahead of where Bobby Portis was after his freshman season even though Bobby was much more polished at the same stage.

- No, he is not "ready" for the NBA in that he probably isn't going to be an All-Rookie pick if he were to play in the NBA year. But that doesn't matter. There are plenty of guys drafted in the first round each year that are earmarked as "developmental" players for 1-2 years. Gafford is no different and there are multiple teams that would draft him as such in mid-to-late first round. Believe that.

- Players can develop away from college. Returning to school isn't always the only or best way for a player like Gafford to develop. Me, personally, I'm a proponent of players like Gafford returning and being "the man" on a high-major program. I don't think Gafford is "the man" on this team but would be next year and will likely have a supporting cast that is more conducive to the offense running through him. For that reason, I think he should return and could improve his draft stock into the lottery (but even that isn't a big deal -- see below).

- Everyone here is programmed to think about the short-term money on the rookie contract by saying a player should leave or stay so they can get drafted as high as possible. But, really, fit is much, much more important to a players future success than how highly they were drafted. You can stomach missing out on a couple of million dollars (I know that sounds ridiculous) if it means you've put yourself in a better position to get a bigger second contract (which is where the real money is). You go in the lottery and you're likely going to a crappy franchise that might not know how to utilize your talents or might even draft over you for no reason at all (Kings drafted centers in the lottery back-to-back despite having Cousins).

- Moses Kingsley is not a good comparison for Gafford's situation because while he did lose stock, theoretically, by coming back, he was a fringe prospect when his stock was at its highest. That is not the case for Gafford. Gafford has an incredible raw skillset and makes plays that very few players can make. Kingsley was not an exceptional player or talent for as good as he was for the Hogs.

- I support DG either way. I do not fault him at all for choosing to become a professional even though I think he might benefit more from coming back as a player because anyone with unbiased eyeballs can see that he belongs in the NBA. So it's natural that players of his ilk will go to the NBA even if they aren't ready to be a rotation players right away. That's why the NBA has the G-League and it is growing by the year. Once every team as their own direct G-League affiliate, I think they will expand the NBA draft by 1 or 2 rounds and it will be even harder to keep players in school. Of course, the NCAA could combat some this by finally paying these revenue-generating players like they should be now, but that's a completely different discussion.

Hawg Red

Here is some info culled from ESPN Insider, which is information from Jonathan Givony and Mike Schmitz (aka DraftExpress -- ESPN bought them out in the summer). So this is information that is more than just guessing. This are insights based on what they are hearing from NBA personnel and also what we're seeing on the court. While they don't know what Gafford will do, intends to do or is thinking, they've likely heard from NBA people that he's a solid first rounder at this point. And, obviously, we're in early February so it is what it is. Lot of ball left to be played but he isn't going to stop being a special prospect over the next month and a half. And he isn't going to fall down the board playing like he did Saturday night. Brace yourselves.

- Daniel Gafford is #14 (!!!) in their top 100 NBA prospects. That's, uh, really good. That's not a guy who is going to fall into the second round.

- Here's a blurb from their write-up about him being one of the top risers for the upcoming draft:

QuoteIn a draft that appears to be severely devoid of upside outside the top 10 or 12 picks, Gafford is making a strong case to be considered a potential lottery-caliber prospect and has moved up our rankings appropriately. He will have to continue to make strides as the year moves on, but he seems to fit the mold of what NBA teams are looking for in big men prospects, with significant potential to continue to improve.

- He is the #17 pick to the Milwaukee Bucks in their latest mock draft. It lists the starting salary for this pick at $2,460,000. That is about $400,000 less than the final "lottery" pick at #14. Gafford is the 7th "center" off the board in their mock.

riccoar

Put another year under your belt and be a lottery lock.  He's definite NBA material.  Needs to bulk up, but being a freshman, that's expected.

pignparadise

He's #15 in this mock. Just outside of the lottery.
https://news.google.com/news/amp?caurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fanragsports.com%2F2018-nba-mock-draft-february-edition%2F#pt0-844940
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

Champs04

Not possible this year. He dunks and then runs and dunks. He has to develop his game.

PonderinHog

It's a good thing he doesn't have a jump shot yet...

It was fun while it lasted, however long that turns out to be.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Champs04 on February 12, 2018, 09:30:10 am
Not possible this year. He dunks and then runs and dunks. He has to develop his game.

Not possible?

How far do you have your head buried in the sand? My god.

hogsanity

Quote from: riccoar on February 12, 2018, 09:11:11 am
Put another year under your belt and be a lottery lock.  He's definite NBA material.  Needs to bulk up, but being a freshman, that's expected.

Put another year under your belt and maybe blow out a knee, or suffer a back injury, or a dozen other things that might diminish your draft position, or take the 2mil or so you will likely get this year, hmmm, not a hard choice for most people.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogcam

Quote from: hogsanity on February 12, 2018, 10:22:36 am
Put another year under your belt and maybe blow out a knee, or suffer a back injury, or a dozen other things that might diminish your draft position, or take the 2mil or so you will likely get this year, hmmm, not a hard choice for most people.
Exactly. I've never understood people that think the players owe us anything as fans. They should do what is best for them and they don't owe us anything. I might not always agree with their decision, but I just don't understand the people that act like they owe us something or even the school something.

Champs04

FineAsSwine

Hogs up! Covid down!

Champs04

He can't score out of the paint, can't shoot freethrows. Everyone will be just as tall as him when he gets in the paint. He just needs to develop but that is only my opinion. Am i really that far off?

Rbill

I want so badly for him to be on this team with a point guard. Please basketball gods shine just a little ray of luck on us for once.

wps11

He's 6'10+. He runs the floor unbelievable. He finishes, and has great hands. Long/Athletic. That's what the NBA is looking at not what his low post moves are right now or his jumper. If I'm him I'm gone. There's no chance I'd stay and watch Trey Thompson play as many minutes as him. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: PORKULATOR on February 10, 2018, 06:49:25 pm
NOT DRAFTABLE at this moment. He can't take physical play yet and has only been playing for 5 years. He has a long way to go but a ton of potential.

Ha. Yeah a 7 foot, prototypical PNR rim diving big who can protect the rim isn't draftable.  I take it you don't watch much NBA.

Willyboy

Quote from: Rbill on February 12, 2018, 11:36:39 am
I want so badly for him to be on this team with a point guard. Please basketball gods shine just a little ray of luck on us for once.

I thought we used up our luck when Barford and Macon came back. 

Willyboy

Quote from: wps11 on February 12, 2018, 11:39:48 am
He's 6'10+. He runs the floor unbelievable. He finishes, and has great hands. Long/Athletic. That's what the NBA is looking at not what his low post moves are right now or his jumper. If I'm him I'm gone. There's no chance I'd stay and watch Trey Thompson play as many minutes as him.

Trey Thompson is a senior and will not be getting any minutes next year.

urkillnmesmalls

Gafford hasn't been playing basketball since he was 8 years old like most other D1 players has he?  To me, that's got to play into why NBA teams would be even MORE likely to draft him, based on potential.  There's no way they would think he has reached his ceiling.  Trey T is the same player he was two years ago...you get what you get...solid player.  Gafford has a high ceiling. 

I would love to see him come back, but if he's inside the top 20....I wouldn't hesitate to go.  He's not going to stay long enough to get a degree, so why roll the dice on having a raw supporting cast that may or may not play a positive role in helping highlight your skills on the court?  Or....getting injured?   

Not sure how many of you watched Pippin play in college at UCA. That was when they were an NAIA school, and he developed AND grew a ton while there.  His final year you would think that if you went to watch him play, he would look like men among boys.  But...for the most part, unless there was a break away, he didn't...because teams would double and triple team him and force somone else to beat them.  You could tell he was a special player...don't get me wrong, but outside of the most trained scouts, I would venture a guess that VERY few casual observers would have thought he was NBA top 50 of all time material. 

He just had a skill set that was MADE for the NBA with his handling that never left him before he grew, his length on defense, above average quickness for his size, and ability to shoot the 3. 

What we see...isn't always HOW the NBA scouts see a player fitting in once they get to the NBA.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

riccoar

Quote from: hogcam on February 12, 2018, 11:04:15 am
Exactly. I've never understood people that think the players owe us anything as fans. They should do what is best for them and they don't owe us anything. I might not always agree with their decision, but I just don't understand the people that act like they owe us something or even the school something.
Who said they owe us anything?  I want to see the kid get the most money possible.  Right now, that's waiting another year.  Check out lottery money versus where he is projected.  Don't know his family's financial situation, but if you are planning on spreading the wealth, might wait a year.  People have no concept of money anymore.  Agent gets 20% and then Uncle Sam.  You say $1 million and people act like they are going to go buy a damn private island.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: riccoar on February 12, 2018, 12:42:07 pm
Who said they owe us anything?  I want to see the kid get the most money possible.  Right now, that's waiting another year.  Check out lottery money versus where he is projected.  Don't know his family's financial situation, but if you are planning on spreading the wealth, might wait a year.  People have no concept of money anymore.  Agent gets 20% and then Uncle Sam.  You say $1 million and people act like they are going to go buy a damn private island.

I'm betting it will hinge on how he plays versus better competition from here out.  But...if he's projected inside the top 20, then you have to question the benefit of coming back, versus the risks. 

It used to be that when I watched the NBA, I knew most of the names, because I saw them in college during their 3-4 years.  Now...I watch the NBA and see amazingly talented players that I've NEVER heard of, and have no idea where they even played.  The NBA knows the skillset that they can develop into solid players, and he's going to develop a LOT faster with developmental coaches, nutritionists, strength coaches, and a higher level of competition. 

His upside lies in learning to shoot from further away, and being strong enough to rebound versus NBA bodies.  He can do the rest fairly well.  The days of guys posting up in the lane calling for the ball in the NBA are almost gone...it's spacing, and clearing the lane.  The Shaq and Kareem days...all but gone.  So....unless he works hard enough to develop an outside shot, and puts on 25-30 lbs of muscle, how does his draft stock increase next year?    

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 12, 2018, 12:59:38 pm
I'm betting it will hinge on how he plays versus better competition from here out.  But...if he's projected inside the top 20, then you have to question the benefit of coming back, versus the risks. 

It used to be that when I watched the NBA, I knew most of the names, because I saw them in college during their 3-4 years.  Now...I watch the NBA and see amazingly talented players that I've NEVER heard of, and have no idea where they even played.  The NBA knows the skillset that they can develop into solid players, and he's going to develop a LOT faster with developmental coaches, nutritionists, strength coaches, and a higher level of competition. 

His upside lies in learning to shoot from further away, and being strong enough to rebound versus NBA bodies.  He can do the rest fairly well.  The days of guys posting up in the lane calling for the ball in the NBA are almost gone...it's spacing, and clearing the lane.  The Shaq and Kareem days...all but gone.  So....unless he works hard enough to develop an outside shot, and puts on 25-30 lbs of muscle, how does his draft stock increase next year?    

His draft stock is not going to increase much in college because the college game for him, and the nba game are very different. HE is not going to put on much weight in college. HE is not going to improve his shooting in college any more than if he were in the NBA, that is just a product of practice, and he can do that while making $ in the nba. The offense the Hogs run is not conducive to a 6'10" guy being the standout. Portis was because Portis had a different skill set, was a better ball handler and better at facing up. Portis could step out and hit a 3.

Gafford, whenever he is drafted, is going to be a project. Most NBA teams would rather have a 19 yr old project than a 20 year old.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on February 12, 2018, 01:08:26 pm
His draft stock is not going to increase much in college because the college game for him, and the nba game are very different. HE is not going to put on much weight in college. HE is not going to improve his shooting in college any more than if he were in the NBA, that is just a product of practice, and he can do that while making $ in the nba. The offense the Hogs run is not conducive to a 6'10" guy being the standout. Portis was because Portis had a different skill set, was a better ball handler and better at facing up. Portis could step out and hit a 3.

Gafford, whenever he is drafted, is going to be a project. Most NBA teams would rather have a 19 yr old project than a 20 year old.

That's exactly what I'm getting at.  He'll gain closer to 10 lbs, be asked to do a lot more next season, and if he's not prepared for it...it could easily appear that he has regressed. 

If you're a scout....what are the concerns?  Getting pushed around on the block for rebounding position, FREE THROW percentage (that's huge in the NBA), and being a bigger threat to score. 

If he comes back next year roughly the same size and strength, doesn't shoot FT's any better, and hasn't developed better ball handling/shooting/post moves/rebounding....then isn't it easier at that point to be concerned about where his ceiling actually is? 

"Well, he had a year to develop, and he's right where he was last year."  Stock drops...possibly badly. 

If he had great tutelage, and you KNEW he was going to gain 20 lbs, be stronger and quicker, improve at the FT line dramatically, and develop a jump shot....AND end up a high lottery pick....I get it.  That's a LOT to ask, and I say if he's projected top 20....he should go.  I don't feel like he owes me anything, and I'll NEVER forget that block/dunk sequence from the other night.  Kinda like Qualls buzzer dunk against KY.