Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wally Hall makes nice in today's article

Started by HognotinMemphis, November 22, 2017, 01:33:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

Pretty much a turnaround from a few of his recent articles that were focused on Bielema and the prospect of him staying or being fired and the team's results this season.

He says it is hard not to admire Bret. Ok. Maybe it is. But it's still time for him to leave as HC at Arkansas. 11-28 says all that needs to be said.

Wally alludes to justifications for this season's outcome that are beyond Bret's control: injuries is the primary reason/excuse. Well, there were no major injuries last year when the Hogs lucked out in last minutes to beat La Tech at home by 1 point, scoring only 21 points. No major injuries when they lost last year to A&M by 3 TD's, to Auburn by 53 points, to LSU by 18, and gave up huge leads in last two games without scoring in 2nd half to lose both. Had Rawleigh Williams for all of those games, along with a much better WR group than this year's team. Still won only 3 SEC games last year...OM, FLA and State.

Thus, I do not have some sympathy for the crisis Bielema experienced this season due to injuries. He had the same problems in past seasons without any loss of players who contribute in a major way.

As for believing he is close to success at Arkansas, I am sure Bret really believes it. Even if not, what else is he going to say? Proof is in the pudding as always. Bret would be saying the same thing in year 10 if he was allowed to stay that long and his SEC record would likely be somewhere around 24-56 by end of year 10 at Arkansas, assuming they win vs Mizzou in two days.

Wally says 1 year of John L Smith was like 5 years of wreckage for Arkansas. I disagree. The Hogs won 2 SEC games that year, badly pounding both Auburn and KY. That is 1 more SEC win than Bielema's team has this year. The players were there from the team that finished 5th in the country the year before. After back to back 4-7 seasons under Ford, even Nutt came in and took Arkansas to a 9-3 record with close losses at TN and at Miss St in closing minutes of both. If Bielema was going to be successful, I think he could do better than starting out 0-13 in SEC over his first 2 years. He never got his assistant coaches right. He is obviously not able to identify coaching talent and if he lucks into it, not able to retain them for long.

As for his consecutive bowl streak, those were seasons with 6, 7 and 7 wins and all 3 had some horrible losses: Toledo, Auburn, Texas Tech, et al. Not exactly inspiring to say he went to 3 bowls and never winning more than 7 games in regular season. This year could be light years worse had the Hogs lost to CC and Ole Miss, as they should have. If that had happened, Bielema likely would not be on the sidelines for the last few games.

I'm happy that Arkansas is going to make a change this weekend. Bret needs to move on as this has been a huge disappointment for all fans and everyone associated with the program should be embarrassed at the worst 5 year conference record in the conference over that time as well as the worst 5 year conference record in the history of Razorback football.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

The OTR

Keep CBB. That's what I think. 

I've changed.  I'm going to align with Mr. Wally Hall on this one.  We got rid of Long. If I had my choice I would rather him go than CBB. 

We are closer than people think.  I'm all in with Bielema for another year.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on November 22, 2017, 01:37:40 pm

I've changed.  I'm going to align with Mr. Wally Hall on this one.  We got rid of Long. If I had my choice I would rather him go than CBB. 

S/
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 22, 2017, 01:33:57 pm
Wally says 1 year of John L Smith was like 5 years of wreckage for Arkansas. I disagree. The Hogs won 2 SEC games that year, badly pounding both Auburn and KY. That is 1 more SEC win than Bielema's team has this year. The players were there from the team that finished 5th in the country the year before. After back to back 4-7 seasons under Ford, even Nutt came in and took Arkansas to a 9-3 record with close losses at TN and at Miss St in closing minutes of both. If Bielema was going to be successful, I think he could do better than starting out 0-13 in SEC over his first 2 years. He never got his assistant coaches right. He is obviously not able to identify coaching talent and if he lucks into it, not able to retain them for long.

This has been the biggest crutch since Bielema got here and was a convenient excuse to explain 3-9. Since BP left in April, that year's recruiting class was already signed and put to bed.  Yes BB didn't have a full year to recruit when he took the job, but no new coach does and many inherit programs that were bad for years.  Plus that first recruiting class that he signed in February of 2013 was arguably his best. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

harrisburghog

How nice a guy B.B. (or any coach) is or how much he loves his players and the state shouldn't matter at all, it's about winning period. Big time college football  is a cut throat bussiness, I want a coach and an administration that treats it that way.

HotlantaHog

I take it Wally sees that things are over for BB so no need to kick him while he is down. And maybe just maybe he learned something from the disappointing record at Arkansas and will do better wherever he goes next.

Pig Worshipper

Coach B is a lovable loser - "The Uncle Buck of College Football"
Great to have some beers and laughs with but DON'T let him anywhere
near your SEC football program.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on November 22, 2017, 04:43:00 pm
Coach B is a lovable loser - "The Uncle Buck of College Football"
Great to have some beers and laughs with but DON'T let him anywhere
near your SEC football program.

No He is  Baby Huey!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

ballz2thewall

The rest of the frog.

Razor1997

lol

HoggyCat

We've been close for 5 years. Actually, we've been a helluva lot closer than we are now. We're drifting the opposite direction....rather, we're speeding in the opposite direction.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

davglo35

I really don't think bielema is a good coach at all. Just too much evidence that proves to me he isn't.
The lack of halftime adjustments, losing to Rutgers twice, Toledo and TT. The way the season ended last year was all I needed to see.
No real effort to make special teams a strong part of the overall team. Leaving BA in the game against Mizzou when he was too injured to be out there. Slow starts almost every season even when he had the players to dominate most teams on the schedule. SEC record is atrocious and overall it's nothing to crow about. Losing to the aggies every year.
I just don't believe he is a coach that can get it done.

mckinneyhog5

What's so funny is people downplay the wins but say there are no excuses for the losses. Bunch of tools. BB is leaving so let's just let sleeping dogs lie. If you have to keep making the same point over and over in different ways, then you have no point to begin with.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

farmhawg

Huh? What big wins have we had in five years?
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

ChicoHog

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 23, 2017, 02:00:46 am
What's so funny is people downplay the wins but say there are no excuses for the losses. Bunch of tools. BB is leaving so let's just let sleeping dogs lie. If you have to keep making the same point over and over in different ways, then you have no point to begin with.
I agree.  A new coach is coming, we all know it, so put it to rest.  Time to move on. 

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

ballz2thewall

Quote from: davglo35 on November 23, 2017, 12:14:49 am
I really don't think bielema is a good coach at all. Just too much evidence that proves to me he isn't.
The lack of halftime adjustments, losing to Rutgers twice, Toledo and TT. The way the season ended last year was all I needed to see.
No real effort to make special teams a strong part of the overall team. Leaving BA in the game against Mizzou when he was too injured to be out there. Slow starts almost every season even when he had the players to dominate most teams on the schedule. SEC record is atrocious and overall it's nothing to crow about. Losing to the aggies every year.
I just don't believe he is a coach that can get it done.

good summary.
The rest of the frog.

Quote from: HotlantaHog on November 22, 2017, 04:13:18 pm
I take it Wally sees that things are over for BB so no need to kick him while he is down. And maybe just maybe he learned something from the disappointing record at Arkansas and will do better wherever he goes next.
Exactly. Wally isn't saying he should stay. Just the opposite.

Bacons Rebellion

Injuries HAVE sent the season completely south for Bielema. We're going to have a ton of returning starters next year (qb might be a problem) and Bielema would show considerable improvement over this year if he stayed.

That's exactly why the 4-8 record (or 5-7 record) give us an excellent opportunity to fire him now. The next coach will be set up for some initial success (unlike Bielema with his first season).

In 1976, we had devastating injuries -- Calcagni, Eckwood, Nutt -- I can't even remember all the others.  We started 5-1 and didn't win another game. Broyles retired and Lou came in. He was set up for instant success when everyone came back. He had the talent back, but he had depth for the 1977 season. Now we're not going to the Orange Bowl next year, but I want to use our injuries this year as an advantage for our next coach, not as a crutch for keeping an, at best, average coach.

Ex-Trumpet

HiM has been channeling his inner Robert Shields here lately...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

theFlyingHog

C'mon man, at least TRY to do a half-arsed troll. This is just sad

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

gawntrail

For 5 years, the laksidaisical (sp?) attitude CBB has exhibited, the indifference shown toward him, and the apathy in and around Hog football is unacceptable.  The major draw for an entire state.... the flagship athletic program.... and, without argument, the biggest investment/moneymaker, has been run in to the ground for 5 full years by a clown show and an enabler. 

Long got fired for letting the clown show continue on it's pathetic quest for 'uncommonly uncommonness' and general inability to achieve even ho-hum mediocrity.  Bielema sucks, has piloted our ship on to the rocks, and should be fired very vocally and publicly for it...signaling just how unacceptable it is.  We may not be the most desirable job and/or program in the nation, but, our money is green, and we pay as well as anyone.  Loafers and anybody not striving for marked improvement and excellence need not apply.

WAR PIG SOOIE!!!!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 23, 2017, 09:40:48 am
HiM has been channeling his inner Robert Shields here lately...
Look at 90% of the replies to my original post. None of them address the facts I stated. Replies are by people who want to talk and give an non-fact based opinion. Re-read my post and forget who wrote it. No one likes facts around here. Bielema, in 5 seasons, turned the program into the SEC's version of a dumpster fire. And he did it on Long's watch. Guess who is already "long" gone? Bret has another 36 hours on the job at Arkansas. Hope Arkansas makes a good choice for next AD and HC.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

McKinney. think Sir:  You keep making your point over and over while complaining about others doing the same.  The ole Ax you keep grinding is a two bit or two bladed ax, not a one blade or mall type. 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: 12247 on November 23, 2017, 10:14:32 am
McKinney. think Sir:  You keep making your point over and over while complaining about others doing the same.  The ole Ax you keep grinding is a two bit or two bladed ax, not a one blade or mall type.
McKinney is stuck in 2nd gear. He can't ever shift. Stays in same mindset for years. Unable to move on or change. Fun to watch.

farmhawg

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 23, 2017, 10:17:20 am
McKinney is stuck in 2nd gear. He can't ever shift. Stays in same mindset for years. Unable to move on or change. Fun to watch.
No, it's a little sad to see someone suffer.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

The OTR

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 23, 2017, 10:09:28 am
Look at 90% of the replies to my original post. None of them address the facts I stated. Replies are by people who want to talk and give an non-fact based opinion. Re-read my post and forget who wrote it. No one likes facts around here. Bielema, in 5 seasons, turned the program into the SEC's version of a dumpster fire. And he did it on Long's watch. Guess who is already "long" gone? Bret has another 36 hours on the job at Arkansas. Hope Arkansas makes a good choice for next AD and HC.

You're not right that often but you're right this time.  I don't like facts.  Luckily there's not a lot of facts floating around here so I can enjoy MMQB without facts muddling up the fun.

ChitownHawg

I took from his article that CBB has stayed pretty much classy through this and I have to agree. He has slipped a sentence or two, but for the most part not tried to sling mud.

The main point I feel Wally was making is CBB cares for the players. Again I agree. He has always been a players coach.

CBB is a good guy and he did his best to fit into the culture of Arkansas. He simply made some bad decisions which will cost him his job.

One doesn't take away from the other.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

gawntrail

Quote from: ChitownHawg on November 23, 2017, 04:26:43 pm

CBB is a good guy and he did his best to fit into the culture of Arkansas.

No.  Dude should be run out on a rail and humiliated.  The blatant laziness, disconnectedness, and bravado was not fitting in.  His mouth wrote checks his a$$ couldn't cash.  He showed up and immediately was rebranding, trying to start new traditions, and worked damn hard to make it about him.  I think by osmosis or some evolutionary process he was going to front a winning effort, because he already knew he wasn't going to work at, or for it.  We were sold a bill of goods.  He sucks, is not worthy of the pay he was given, and who gives too shiites if he's a good guy or not....

Fire his azz NOW.

WAR PIG SOOIE!!!

The OTR

Quote from: gawntrail on November 23, 2017, 04:45:02 pm
No.  Dude should be run out on a rail and humiliated.  The blatant laziness, disconnectedness, and bravado was not fitting in.  His mouth wrote checks his a$$ couldn't cash.  He showed up and immediately was rebranding, trying to start new traditions, and worked damn hard to make it about him.  I think by osmosis or some evolutionary process he was going to front a winning effort, because he already knew he wasn't going to work at, or for it.  We were sold a bill of goods.  He sucks, is not worthy of the pay he was given, and who gives too shiites if he's a good guy or not....

Fire his azz NOW.

WAR PIG SOOIE!!!

That's a lot of big words to explain that you disagree with jelly sandwiches, windbreakers, and lobsters.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Not your best effort Ol' buddy...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Polecat

Quote from: gawntrail on November 23, 2017, 04:45:02 pm

Fire his azz NOW.

WAR PIG SOOIE!!!

For the most part, true
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Hoggie17

This.

Ex-Trumpet

Not saying it was wrong, just that I didn't read it.  Your posts are long and rambling as of late, much like Robert Shields' were...that's all I'm saying!!  :)

East Clintwood

11 wins and 28 losses.

It doesn't matter if you down-play or up-play --  it's still 11 - 28. 

You can't spin that.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 24, 2017, 04:28:18 pm
Not saying it was wrong, just that I didn't read it.  Your posts are long and rambling as of late, much like Robert Shields' were...that's all I'm saying!!  :)
You've turned into the twitter generation. Maybe I will experiment with 160 character posts in the future so you do not lose concentration before you get to the end in 2 minutes. I'm a pretty fair writer. I'm efficient with words. If you get tired after 60 seconds of reading, that is on you.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 24, 2017, 06:53:40 pm
You've turned into the twitter generation. Maybe I will experiment with 160 character posts in the future so you do not lose concentration before you get to the end in 2 minutes. I'm a pretty fair writer. I'm efficient with words. If you get tired after 60 seconds of reading, that is on you.

Crap, my Adderall dosage is gonna need a boost!!  :)