Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cubs #1 Pick (#2 overall)

Started by cubsfan5150, May 26, 2013, 10:08:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cubsfan5150

While I assume the Astros will select Appel with the #1 pick, signs are starting to show that they might be willing to take Gray, the Bryant kid out of UC Irvine I think, or one of the two high schoolers out of GA. 

So, if Appel falls to the Cubs, someone tell me what makes him better/higher upside than Gray and Stanek? 

Personally, I see Appel as a near sure thing, while Gray's arm could blow at any time, but Gray to me has #1 starter stuff, while I'm not sure Appel does. 

Same for Stanek, he to me has 1 or 2 stuff, while Appel is a 2 or 3 guy. 
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

ucahogfan

Gray has been described in the Roger Clemens mode.  His fastball grades out at 80 because he carries 95+ velo for the entire game with good movement to it.  His slider isn't as nasty as Appel nor is he as polished, but I think, and a lot would agree, his ceiling is probably higher while he has a lower floor.  Gray, like Stanek, has a very easy motion with little effort and a big frame that should keep him healthy.

Appel has excellent velo, but not on Gray's level.  His fastball grades out at 70 and he will sit 95-97 with his fastball.  He has a wicked slider that he uses effectively and is a much more established prospect.

Kris Bryant out of San Diego has mega raw power, like Bryce Harper type power.  He has hit more HRs this year than the majority of collegiate teams.  His power grades out to 80.

If I were the Astros, I would probably go with Bryant as he is the top prospect in this draft.  It seems like he is probably going to go to the Rockies at 3 as Gray and Appel will go 1 and 2.  He would hit 60 HRs a year at Coors.

cubsfan5150

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 26, 2013, 10:19:41 pm
Gray has been described in the Roger Clemens mode.  His fastball grades out at 80 because he carries 95+ velo for the entire game with good movement to it.  His slider isn't as nasty as Appel nor is he as polished, but I think, and a lot would agree, his ceiling is probably higher while he has a lower floor.  Gray, like Stanek, has a very easy motion with little effort and a big frame that should keep him healthy.

Appel has excellent velo, but not on Gray's level.  His fastball grades out at 70 and he will sit 95-97 with his fastball.  He has a wicked slider that he uses effectively and is a much more established prospect.

Kris Bryant out of San Diego has mega raw power, like Bryce Harper type power.  He has hit more HRs this year than the majority of collegiate teams.  His power grades out to 80.

If I were the Astros, I would probably go with Bryant as he is the top prospect in this draft.  It seems like he is probably going to go to the Rockies at 3 as Gray and Appel will go 1 and 2.  He would hit 60 HRs a year at Coors.

I've read that Bryant has only average bat speed and strikes out a lot.  Do you really want to draft Mark Reynolds #1?

Fully agree on Gray/Appel, what about Stanek/Appel, who's got the higher ceiling in your opinion?

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

ucahogfan

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on May 26, 2013, 10:23:17 pm
I've read that Bryant has only average bat speed and strikes out a lot.  Do you really want to draft Mark Reynolds #1?

Fully agree on Gray/Appel, what about Stanek/Appel, who's got the higher ceiling in your opinion?
Bryant profiles much better to a Bryce Harper than a Mark Reynolds.  Both Bryant and Harper are going to strike out because both have immense power and look to drive the ball (see entire Braves lineup), but both will hit for solid averages.

Both Stanek and Appel have good live fastballs in the mid to upper 90s and wipeout sliders in the mid 80s, but Appel has shown feel for a changeup that could be a potential plus pitch that he throws for a strike while the change is an average offering from Stanek.  Appel has done much better at striking hitters out as that is the biggest knock against Stanek, albeit against weaker competition IMO.  I've never seen Appel throw, just going off scouting reports.  Based on a 3 pitch mix and better K rate, I would go with Appel.  Both have ace type ceilings.  I was thinking that Stanek compares to a Mat Latos IMO while I have no comparison for Appel.

cubsfan5150

I just hope whomever the Cubs pick works out for once.  If the Astros somehow leave the Cubs all three pitchers, that'll be even better.

ucahogfan

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on May 26, 2013, 10:36:09 pm
I just hope whomever the Cubs pick works out for once.  If the Astros somehow leave the Cubs all three pitchers, that'll be even better.
Stanek is now #4 in the college RHP pecking order behind Gray and Appel and Shipley from Nevada.  Stanek probably goes in the top 10, but could fall to the Mets at 11.  Either way, the Cubs are getting someone who could be a cornerstone for the franchise to put with Rizzo, Smardizja (sp), and Castro.  Y'all really are in the best spot of the bad teams with a good, young core.

Baseball Hog

I didn't read all the posts but Appel is appealing because of his signability as well.  Picking him as #1 (which he will) or 2 could save you a ton of cash towards your pool.  It will allow you to take one of those free falling talented HS kids that want to get paid.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Baseball Hog on May 26, 2013, 10:52:31 pm
I didn't read all the posts but Appel is appealing because of his signability as well.  Picking him as #1 (which he will) or 2 could save you a ton of cash towards your pool.  It will allow you to take one of those free falling talented HS kids that want to get paid.
Word is Appel will be advised by Boras and won't take the senior discount.  I think Gray is the only one of the top 3 college guys that won't be advised by Boras so he might sign for the least and it really could come down to who will sign for the least among those 3.

cubsfan5150

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 26, 2013, 11:00:12 pm
Word is Appel will be advised by Boras and won't take the senior discount.  I think Gray is the only one of the top 3 college guys that won't be advised by Boras so he might sign for the least and it really could come down to who will sign for the least among those 3.

Exactly what I've read.  I believe it's the main reason that Houston could be looking elsewhere. 

ucahogfan

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on May 27, 2013, 12:22:52 am
Exactly what I've read.  I believe it's the main reason that Houston could be looking elsewhere.
I think the other 2 players they are looking at are Colin Moran from UNC and Clint Frazier from Logansville, GA.  Moran has shown he can hit for average, but nearly have the power Bryant has.  He is a great player, but not worthy of the #1 pick IMO.

Clint Frazier and Austin Meadows are two of the top 5 HS players both from Logansville, GA, a town of about 11K people that also had the #1 overall football play Robert Nkemdieche (sp).  Frazier has the second best power bat in the draft and is very athletic.  Some scouts like Meadows athleticism better, but Frazier is the better prospect right now.  Most mock drafts have him going to the Bo Sox at 7 while Meadows is more of a top 15 pick.