Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A small rant...

Started by n5xm, May 14, 2013, 03:36:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

n5xm

I've played and watched a lot of baseball in my time and would like you folks opinion about something that really bothers me.  Why do umpires refuse to call strike zones as they are written in the rulebook?  Why hasn't our so-called commish looked into this?  I think this is one reason pitch counts are so high.  For example, a left-handed pitcher throws a pitch the catcher handles and his glove is two inches off the corner of the plate with the ball going left to right.  If the pitched ball is at the correct height, neither too high or too low, doesn't it have to cross the plate to get to the catcher's glove?  If I were pitching in the big leagues, I'd want to be waiting outside the umpire's dressing room door with an automatic nerf ball gun, or maybe a gigantic super soaker. 

McKdaddy

I've wondered that for 39 years. The smallest strike zone in all levels of baseball, per umpire discretion, is MLB.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

pigture perfect

I think it's because it's a professional sport and Offense is king. The tighter the zone the greater the chance of hitters getting their pitches.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

McKdaddy

Then change the mlb rule book to state that strike zone is between the knees and the belt.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin